Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Costanzo leads 05 Goalies across the OHL in games played, and the Save % Numbers aren't drastically different. Only other goalies within 20 of his 96 Games Played are Nathaniel Day with Flint, and Mason Vaccari with the Fronts. Neither of which justify trading for as I think they'd be close to parallel moves.

I can't see them going for an older goaltender and I dont know that there's an 05 that is an upgrade. Costanzo CAN be good, he just needs defence to help him. Unless Bowler goes for an 06?

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
Brampton has an 06 and an 07, either one of which might work although they’ll be in contention in the East and I don’t think Joey would be in their plans as an upgrade for any trade to make sense.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
This may have been answered and I missed it, (or forgot) what’s the Junior B eligibility on these American kids?

What are their options if they’re not up with the team? If we can only carry 4 and dress 3 08’s, and two are Americans, can they play state side? Are they Jr. B eligible? I have to imagine Belchetz becomes an every day guy immediately. Giving us 5 08’s, with a goalie.. that we have to pick 3 from, and always sit 1? Good problem to have, but aside from Belchetz, we can’t even trade any of the others for at least a year… in which we could play them all anyways.

If last year the organization was “cheaping out” on a coach, maybe it was to afford all these college packages tied to this years draft?
Not everyone probably plays this year. The goalie probably plays GOJHL or OJHL or CCHL. Same thing with the fronts goalie the first goalie selected in the draft Betts who is going that route before coming full time as a 17 year old.

If they can only play 3 at a time 1 of them (the odd man out) probably gets some games in but not enough for an ‘A’ card and then rides out the rest of the season in one of those leagues I mentioned above.

So who in total is signed again?

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
Anybody know if Garden was considered a Round 1 talent? Round 2 or 3? Availability at Rd 9 was certainly due to NCAA interest and risk.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Maybe not 1st round but more so 2nd or 3rd round,according to league central scouting highly rated player no doubt a steal pick made by Bowler.
Appears we got an Abraham clone similar size and grit,was the team captain with Little Caesars and the same program Abraham was drafted from too.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Anybody know if Garden was considered a Round 1 talent? Round 2 or 3? Availability at Rd 9 was certainly due to NCAA interest and risk.

From Brock Otten's 2024 OHL Mock Draft, among the "honorable mentions" via Steven Graves:

Ethan Garden, F, Detroit Little Caesars
Garden enjoyed a sporadic year for the Detroit Little Caesers, it was a year of ups and downs. The Michigan born centreman was passed up for the USNTDP selection camp and at this point it is unclear which path he might take. If he decides to come to the OHL, he is a clear first round selection but if he foregoes the league to go NCAA/USHL he could see himself fall quite far in the draft. Garden is an ultra skilled, puck dominant player. He thrives when carrying the puck and facilitating the offense. Because of this, he has some of the best transitional games in the draft. As you can imagine, has some slick puck skills and is a very good skater, also. He is quite engaged at both ends of the rink as well, so he isn’t an offensive only player. Overall, if Garden is set to come to the OHL, you can expect a player that plays with pace and is able to generate offence.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
From Brock Otten's 2024 OHL Mock Draft, among the "honorable mentions" via Steven Graves:

Ethan Garden, F, Detroit Little Caesars
Garden enjoyed a sporadic year for the Detroit Little Caesers, it was a year of ups and downs. The Michigan born centreman was passed up for the USNTDP selection camp and at this point it is unclear which path he might take. If he decides to come to the OHL, he is a clear first round selection but if he foregoes the league to go NCAA/USHL he could see himself fall quite far in the draft. Garden is an ultra skilled, puck dominant player. He thrives when carrying the puck and facilitating the offense. Because of this, he has some of the best transitional games in the draft. As you can imagine, has some slick puck skills and is a very good skater, also. He is quite engaged at both ends of the rink as well, so he isn’t an offensive only player. Overall, if Garden is set to come to the OHL, you can expect a player that plays with pace and is able to generate offence.
That Steven Graves guy sounds handsome :nod:

Garden is fantastic, the big downside is size. I have to imagine since Even Hedrick wen’t 15th overall, Garden would have been considered around that range if he was a guarantee to come over. What a fantastic off-season by the Spitfires, getting arguably 4 first round quality talents signed a little over a month after the draft is tidy work.

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
Announced on Instagram. So much for our coaching ‘disaster’ pushing away future draft picks. Seems like everyone picked is willing to report… a Michigander in Garden too. US Kid, where Windsor will be less than an hour from home.
The crusties again slink back into the woodwork to come up with their next shitty offseason narrative.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Belchetz (1), Hicks/Lemieux (2), Brocklehurst (3), Windbiel (7), and Garden (9).
Belchetz and Hicks are locks (F + D)

Windbiel probably plays a league below this year.

2 of Lemieux, brocklehurst and garden are probably fighting for the last 2 spots. Someone will be playing a league below like windbiel.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Like all the "hidden rules " I'd like to see what "rules" there really are regarding US born players. Why do they term it education scholarship and "development " contract. The school is obvious, duh. But what does development mean?? Agreed to be loaned to an affiliate? To develop? Why would a US born player be treated different than a Canadian. Sure flyers may not sign unless guaranteed yo play but is that a hard rule or choice of the flyer siging?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Windbiel will be given every chance to make the club in some capacity. There's the belief that he has pro potential so I can't see him being sent anywhere else unless it's clear he's not ready for the OHL yet.

With that said... the "we've got so many options, where do we put them all?" scenario is a darn good one to have less than two months after the draft. While there's still plenty of work to do this summer (coaching, Import, trades, etc), I don't think many/any can argue with what Bowler's done to date.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Bowler has absolutely knocked it out of the park with signing players. Also shows a big time financial commitment from ownership with all these packages. I can't recall any season where 6 drafted players were signed from 1 draft before training camp begins. Not even close. I think Bowler is setting this team to be a whopper of a contender in realistically 2 years but could be a back to back type caliber team.

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
Bowler has absolutely knocked it out of the park with signing players. Also shows a big time financial commitment from ownership with all these packages. I can't recall any season where 6 drafted players were signed from 1 draft before training camp begins. Not even close. I think Bowler is setting this team to be a whopper of a contender in realistically 2 years but could be a back to back type caliber team.
Not sure I want to step too far. Haven’t seen any of them play and they haven’t played a game in the league yet. Promising though.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
I would not be surprised if Garden plays for Little Caesar's this season. The Spits could call him up when needed. He stays at home and periodically practices with the Spits.

His choices were sign with the Spits, sign with Youngstown or not sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad