Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Sorry, not sure what Hunter's "magic" has to do with this. The question was about where they pick in the round.

It's listed as Ottawa. They have two 1sts. I'm not sure on the reason.
Because of the trade they made with London,their 1st rounder from last year
a dman forgot his name,his brother plays for Kitchener.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Sorry, not sure what Hunter's "magic" has to do with this. The question was about where they pick in the round.

It's listed as Ottawa. They have two 1sts. I'm not sure on the reason.
U stated that London would have late 2nd round picks..

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
London has that pick because their 1st round pick did not report ( Moore) but they declared too late so their comp pick is in the 2nd round. Don't see any magic with that move? More of a mismanagement of assets.
Hunter has done stuff with worse picks selection..

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Starting to get really excited, looking at all those top-75 picks. Add in the #3 import, and this is the most important draft in years. Staying reserved, for now, because the coaching staff hires have to hit.

Anybody have any idea of candidates? Any names on anyone’s radar they’d like?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Starting to get really excited, looking at all those top-75 picks. Add in the #3 import, and this is the most important draft in years. Staying reserved, for now, because the coaching staff hires have to hit.

Anybody have any idea of candidates? Any names on anyone’s radar they’d like?
Hopefully no family or favors..

4 Bobby ORR

Nov 26, 2008
South Detroit
London has that pick because their 1st round pick did not report ( Moore) but they declared too late so their comp pick is in the 2nd round. Don't see any magic with that move? More of a mismanagement of assets.
Yes, I believe first round comps need to be traded before the season starts. Hence London got the second round pick at the spot Moore was picked (18th in the second round)

Reactions: ohloutsider

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Sobolev would’ve helped this year, but didn’t justify an OA and Import Spot because of the quantity and quality of our other OAs. The reason we held Jodoin is because no one else wanted to pay anything, and Christopoulos ended up injured.

I doubt we hold Zhugin for a same but opposite. Zhugin would make a fine OA with what we have, but to eat up an import spot? Eichlers still on the C.S. List for the draft is he not? Curious to see if he has his name called.

D is needed, sure, some in the draft, but I agree there is urgency to build around the 06’s. Greentree will not be an overager here. We all want a gritty D I’m sure, but that’s what I’m paying for as an 05’.
It’s a lot easier to draft 2-3 forwards and have them impact the team immediately than a D man. Bring in something that’s proven in this league.

If Joeys confidence is there, he’s our option for the next 2. If he’s struggling at Christmas, it’s time to spend on an 06’ goalie. Seems very few these days don’t have an OA year.

Excited for the draft, my choice? Eichler over Zhugin, but with Russians available… I could see them both gone. I think Eichler holds higher trade value

Reactions: punch1943

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Sobolev would’ve helped this year, but didn’t justify an OA and Import Spot because of the quantity and quality of our other OAs. The reason we held Jodoin is because no one else wanted to pay anything, and Christopoulos ended up injured.

I doubt we hold Zhugin for a same but opposite. Zhugin would make a fine OA with what we have, but to eat up an import spot? Eichlers still on the C.S. List for the draft is he not? Curious to see if he has his name called.

D is needed, sure, some in the draft, but I agree there is urgency to build around the 06’s. Greentree will not be an overager here. We all want a gritty D I’m sure, but that’s what I’m paying for as an 05’.
It’s a lot easier to draft 2-3 forwards and have them impact the team immediately than a D man. Bring in something that’s proven in this league.

If Joeys confidence is there, he’s our option for the next 2. If he’s struggling at Christmas, it’s time to spend on an 06’ goalie. Seems very few these days don’t have an OA year.

Excited for the draft, my choice? Eichler over Zhugin, but with Russians available… I could see them both gone. I think Eichler holds higher trade value
The 2nd pick in the Import draft is 63. I don't see that as being a better player than Eichler.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The 2nd pick in the Import draft is 63. I don't see that as being a better player than Eichler.
If Bowler can get something for Eichler I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved. When is the Spits next window? If it's not next season, it might make sense now to invest in younger imports with potential that will be here during your next window. If it is next season, I'd agree it makes sense to keep Eichler.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
If Bowler can get something for Eichler I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved. When is the Spits next window? If it's not next season, it might make sense now to invest in younger imports with potential that will be here during your next window. If it is next season, I'd agree it makes sense to keep Eichler.
My feeling is the Spits will be middle of the pack next year and there big season is in 2 years. Keep Eichler, then draft a player with a pick somewhere in the 30s the next year.

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
OHL page says London has 39th/42nd picks, which are late 2nds.

Thanks, nice to see we finally have something for future situations to go off of. Might have changed how situations are handled had it been the first pick of the 2nd round like some suggested (holding onto the rights of late-1st flyers past the start of the season vs. early 1st picks).

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
That's 63 if no team passes on their 1st pick. Some teams may be content with the imports they have. I'd take a good look. Remember it is more of a meeting between their agents and willing to report. With Russians an Belarusians available the door of opportunity swings open for anyone who couldn't be drafted the past 3 years.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
How many young Russians may want to get out of being put in the army vs hockey? The line may be long. Of course does Putin allow them to come over? That's a political issue.

Reactions: ohloutsider

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
How many young Russians may want to get out of being put in the army vs hockey? The line may be long. Of course does Putin allow them to come over? That's a political issue.
I find it interesting that Russian players will now be included. I see no change in the Russia Ukraine conflict that was the reason for the ban.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
As wars drone on, the public becomes numb to the headlines. It is not the kids fault their leader is a selfish dictator. Nonetheless their back as options now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad