Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
they dont have to trade zhugin right away, hes an overage so he can be put on a reserve list and avoid being cut before the draft. that said, i dont think you get anything for him in a trade. i think they keep him over the d to be honest, they had opportunities to trade him but said the plan was for him to be an overage import next year.
Was unaware that being an OA canadate meant you can still draft another one. Good to know. It also begs the question why did they have to trade Soblev last June before the draft?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Was unaware that being an OA canadate meant you can still draft another one. Good to know. It also begs the question why did they have to trade Soblev last June before the draft?

At the time, Bowler said it was an OA numbers game and, according to the article, they could only carry two Imports. It was a "tricky" situation.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
At the time, Bowler said it was an OA numbers game and, according to the article, they could only carry two Imports. It was a "tricky" situation.
This is nothing against you OHLTG but the tricky situation was Bowler moving Sobolev. Exactly what the doctor ordered for last season and we had him and moved him. Seriously think that move was the start of an all out tank season and move anybody they could to recoup picks. Maybe Bowler knew or wanted Smith to fail. Either way, DeAngelis was moved early as well and the D tank was on.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
It realty wasn't. Bowler made it that way..

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
This is nothing against you OHLTG but the tricky situation was Bowler moving Sobolev. Exactly what the doctor ordered for last season and we had him and moved him. Seriously think that move was the start of an all out tank season and move anybody they could to recoup picks. Maybe Bowler knew or wanted Smith to fail. Either way, DeAngelis was moved early as well and the D tank was on.

I liked Sobolev's style a whole lot and didn't think they'd keep Eichler over him. Strangely, I can see why they should have kept him but I also see why trading him wasn't a bad idea.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
All the O/A Windsor had coming into the year last year were more valuable. That’s what it came down to last year.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I liked Sobolev's style a whole lot and didn't think they'd keep Eichler over him. Strangely, I can see why they should have kept him but I also see why trading him wasn't a bad idea.
Decisive hat..

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
It's a tricky situation when you decide to keep Jodoin around as on OA.......

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
All the O/A Windsor had coming into the year last year were more valuable. That’s what it came down to last year.
I'd easily argue defense and lack of physical play of our D was the most obvious failure of last year. Keeping a experienced solid D was more important than kerping a forward on a team that never needed offense. Maillet was not worth a Sobolev. We kept Jodoin on the roster, Christopoulis was quickly moved after returning from injury. Could have kept Sobolev, moved Christopoulis as was done and released Jodoin at the beginning of the season instead of sitting him most games to not exceed 10 games only to release him anyways. Just saying as bad as we were with coaching this season, if Sobolev and DeAngelis were kept, Our 06 D would have learned a pile and I bet we make the playoffs. I am not saying I'm disappointed over our draft selection, just Bowler made sure the team would be bad moving our 2 best D early. That was the point.

Reactions: oldPeng

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I'd easily argue defense and lack of physical play of our D was the most obvious failure of last year. Keeping a experienced solid D was more important than kerping a forward on a team that never needed offense. Maillet was not worth a Sobolev. We kept Jodoin on the roster, Christopoulis was quickly moved after returning from injury. Could have kept Sobolev, moved Christopoulis as was done and released Jodoin at the beginning of the season instead of sitting him most games to not exceed 10 games only to release him anyways. Just saying as bad as we were with coaching this season, if Sobolev and DeAngelis were kept, Our 06 D would have learned a pile and I bet we make the playoffs. I am not saying I'm disappointed over our draft selection, just Bowler made sure the team would be bad moving our 2 best D early. That was the point.
I think everything that happened this year was the best thing that could have happened for the franchises future. Why try to be a 7/8th place team? For two more games of gate revenue?

Spits window was in 2021/22 and 22/23. They needed to recoup assets and picks, and they did just that.

With the team getting the first overall pick the pain was worth it, so no need to live in revisionist history, at least last year - especially when you look at what Sobolev got even traded at the deadline, compared to Peer, Maillet, Mancini and Christopolus.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I think everything that happened this year was the best thing that could have happened for the franchises future. Why try to be a 7/8th place team? For two more games of gate revenue?

Spits window was in 2021/22 and 22/23. They needed to recoup assets and picks, and they did just that.

With the team getting the first overall pick the pain was worth it, so no need to live in revisionist history, at least last year - especially when you look at what Sobolev got even traded at the deadline, compared to Peer, Maillet, Mancini and Christopolus.
Absolutely agree. At the end of the day, the team felt obligated to give Smith a chance due to longevity with the franchise. The cupboard was bare. The real talent is young. Hate to be a contender in the next couple of years and have a shortage of picks to make a run. That would truly suck. The cupboard is full, awesome draft positions. I'm happy. My gripe was if Bowler honestly thought the team was mid pack with Smith as HC, he wouldn't have made those moves early. Maybe he had better sense of the situation than given credit for.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Interesting story out of the WStar today. They talked to Jim Fox, who was the Spitfires' 1st overall pick in 1976. He said he was excited to come to Windsor but, after a week, got homesick and went home. It was just too far away and it wasn't Windsor's fault. After a year at home, he felt more comfortable moving away so that's why he went to play with Ottawa. When he returned to the Windsor Arena, he was nervous. Now, he still checks up on both Windsor and Ottawa to see how they're playing.

Also... expect the Spitfires to make their pick next Thursday.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Interesting story out of the WStar today. They talked to Jim Fox, who was the Spitfires' 1st overall pick in 1976. He said he was excited to come to Windsor but, after a week, got homesick and went home. It was just too far away and it wasn't Windsor's fault. After a year at home, he felt more comfortable moving away so that's why he went to play with Ottawa. When he returned to the Windsor Arena, he was nervous. Now, he still checks up on both Windsor and Ottawa to see how they're playing.

Jim Fox went on to become a commentator for the LA Kings after retiring from the NHL, and worked alongside Bob Miller who did the play by play. And if I remember correctly Bob Miller tutored a former play by play guy from your area... one of the best in the O!

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Star with another breaking story.....
Very little to write about

Last edited:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Jim Fox went on to become a commentator for the LA Kings after retiring from the NHL, and worked alongside Bob Miller who did the play by play. And if I remember correctly Bob Miller tutored a former play by play guy from your area... one of the best in the O!

Who's the PbP guy from our area?

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
Star with another breaking story.....
Very little to write about
I did a whole lot of googling when I saw that this was our 2nd first pick overall and couldn't find anything whatsoever about Jim Fox and his career in Windsor. It was before my time by a few years, so it was nice for the Windsor Star to fill in that gap even if it was old news and likely bullshit.

Reactions: OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
OHL Draft order is posted (without accounting for trades)...

Windsor has (if I did math right) - 1, 22, 24, 58, 63, 71, 75, 124, 144, 164, 184, 204, 210, 244, 264, 284

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
My read on this years draft #'s

1- 1st
2- 2nds ( Nia , Petes)
1- 3rd. ( NB)
3 - 4ths ( Nia, Guelph, Miss Conditional)
1- 7th
1- 8th
1- 9th
1- 10th
2 - 11ths ( King)
1- 13th
1- 14th
1- 15th

Including next week's picks they have 9 2nds, 5 3rds and 8 4ths. Wondering if they will push some of these picks into the future with the draft pick trade block opening next week? Interesting times for sure.

This would available draft picks up to and including 2028.

Reactions: OHLTG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad