Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Genuinely curious, I've heard a lot of talk around the urgency to build around the 06 class. I understand that our 06s are a talented group but instead of rushing the process why not trade some of the 06s, stockpile picks, draft heavy and focus on building around 08 and 09 players? (Again, not trying to start an argument, just genuinely curious how everyone feels about this)
Greedy me thinks they can do both. There not that far off to make the 06 run better and the 08's will be ready 2 years later.
It is really a good spot to be and with this potential there should be some interested quality coaches wanting to lead this group.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
If I'm dealing anyone right now, it's the 04s or 05s. If there's a deal for an 06 that you can't pass up because it makes them better now and in the future, then you look at it. But, I don't go looking to trade 06s right now. Build around the 06/07/08 and push forward.
Sure that goes without saying. Of course everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. Lets review the current 04s and 05s and whether their stock is up or down.

Connor Toms acquired for 12th rounder-Stock down

Colton Smith acquired for 4th round pick-Stock probably down he didn't improve this year instead he declined. Might even be sticking around due family ties.

Ryan Struthers acquired for future considerations-Stock down

Ryan Abraham-stock hold. Had a good year but was a big reason why they struggled early. Probably could get picks for him but could see him being kept 2nd leading goal scorer and for preseason goal scoring returning stat is huge.

Noah Morneau-stock hold. You might get a pick for him but there are a lot of players like him out there and unless you can sell high he may not have value.

Valentin Zhugin-Stock somewhat up they may keep him but it most likely is at the expense of 2 of Smith/Morneau/Abraham.

Costanzo-stock down. Spits need to rebuild him in order to gain value

Owen Outwater-stock down due to injury but even then the Spits paid a large price to acquire him. Another player this franchise has to rebuild.

Tanner Winegard-stock down. Has skating issues Spits need to rebuild the D

Ethan Martin-maybe stock up but he's another guy that other teams can easily find

Jack Greenwell-stock down

So yes building around 06-07-08 is the only choice because the 04-05 aren't producing at a level to help a team. They're still short on numbers for the 07 group in order to build around them.

Reactions: OHL 17 and windsor7

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Greedy me thinks they can do both. There not that far off to make the 06 run better and the 08's will be ready 2 years later.
It is really a good spot to be and with this potential there should be some interested quality coaches wanting to lead this group.
Isn't the idea about building with the 06s predicated on Greentree playing 2 more years in the OHL?? Is the idea you're building around Greentree or is it more about just building an overall better roster? Probably should be the latter because Greentree was very good but the roster around him was very poor. You could make the case to build a very good roster most likely takes a couple drafts and couple years.

I still believe banking on an 07 class that's low on numbers to begin with is a fools errand. You can try to turn over a lot of the roster in one offseason but it's certainly a huge job.

spitsfan28

Mar 31, 2024
Is there any consensus on what players might be available for the Spits in the 2nd round/ who they could/should take at 22/24?

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Isn't the idea about building with the 06s predicated on Greentree playing 2 more years in the OHL?? Is the idea you're building around Greentree or is it more about just building an overall better roster? Probably should be the latter because Greentree was very good but the roster around him was very poor. You could make the case to build a very good roster most likely takes a couple drafts and couple years.

I still believe banking on an 07 class that's low on numbers to begin with is a fools errand. You can try to turn over a lot of the roster in one offseason but it's certainly a huge job.
Greentree will be around for 2 more years. They will get a very good 16 yr old that should contribute this year. They have a high import pick that will hopefully be a game changer on the back end. They can afford to move 1 or 2 seconds once they know their needs. Also can't see Spellacy or Davis not being a much bigger factor this. And lastly in see some movement from the OAs at the deadline that will help. You can say all of this is speculation but seeing them fail again is also speculation. I prefer to speculate they will be better.
And don't forget the level of competition around them . Owen sound, Saginaw, Soo , Flint and Kitchener should take a dip. Hope is what drives a fan so I will error on the side of hope .

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
OHL RECENT TRANSACTIONS:APR 8TH…..

*- denotes conditional draft pick

DATETEAMTRANSF.TOTEAMTRANSF.
Apr. 8FLNTFLNT 11 2024KGNOS 10 2026
Apr. 8LDNLDN 13 2024
ER 15 2024
MISSMISS 13 2025
MISS 14 2026
Apr. 8OSHLDN 2 2024OSOS 4 2026
OS 2 2027
Apr. 8FLNTFLNT 6 2024KITMISS 5 2025

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Greentree will be around for 2 more years. They will get a very good 16 yr old that should contribute this year. They have a high import pick that will hopefully be a game changer on the back end. They can afford to move 1 or 2 seconds once they know their needs. Also can't see Spellacy or Davis not being a much bigger factor this. And lastly in see some movement from the OAs at the deadline that will help. You can say all of this is speculation but seeing them fail again is also speculation. I prefer to speculate they will be better.
And don't forget the level of competition around them . Owen sound, Saginaw, Soo , Flint and Kitchener should take a dip. Hope is what drives a fan so I will error on the side of hope .
Need a great coaching staff..
All brand new. Not cheap..

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I hope he's got 2 years left here but you never know. Johnston never saw 19, Benson never saw 19 either in the W. I think there needs to be extreme patience shown. There's enthusiasm on 3 top 25 picks. The Spits had 20th overall last year and Nesbitt struggled a lot his first 45 games or so. It's not a guarantee that those 2 2nds are helping the team in year 1. I'm just skeptical that just #1 overall, #3 import, improvement from Nesbitt, Manzo coming makes them some sort of contender. Especially if you're counting on 5 teams to decline. I like some of the 06s and their improvement but with it came learning terrible habits. Davis took a jump but he's a 90 foot hockey player as of now. A New coach to implement systems, take off the stench of this past year. Probably will take 35-40 games to see a real team.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

I wonder if they trade greentree this year. They’ll get so many picks and definitely a top pick from this coming draft and probably some other promising young players.

As an outsider you guys have 2 really solid players to build around. But you have to take into consideration what if one of them (greentree) graduates early then you get nothing for him? He will play this year obviously but the year after if he makes a huge leap- he could be the next Wyatt Johnson or Matt Poitras

I hope he's got 2 years left here but you never know. Johnston never saw 19, Benson never saw 19 either in the W. I think there needs to be extreme patience shown. There's enthusiasm on 3 top 25 picks. The Spits had 20th overall last year and Nesbitt struggled a lot his first 45 games or so. It's not a guarantee that those 2 2nds are helping the team in year 1. I'm just skeptical that just #1 overall, #3 import, improvement from Nesbitt, Manzo coming makes them some sort of contender. Especially if you're counting on 5 teams to decline. I like some of the 06s and their improvement but with it came learning terrible habits. Davis took a jump but he's a 90 foot hockey player as of now. A New coach to implement systems, take off the stench of this past year. Probably will take 35-40 games to see a real team.
If you guys are going to have a real good team to go for it. It’s not this coming season it would be greentree and christoforos 19 year old seasons. (Which would also be the player picked first overall and your 2 seconds draft years)

I think Abraham will be traded this year for sure, may be early, may be at the deadline but he will get a return probably similar to Jack beck to the soo. And he’s similar in a way as well. Small, skilled player that has dealt with injuries.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
I ‘m optimistic that we will show great improvement in the coming year. Not expecting us to be a contender but at least a playoff team. No reason for Bowler not to utilize Torres in a scouting capacity at this time, they are paying him. I did see the name of a former Spit who was an assistant coach of one of the top prospect…forgot his name.Not sure how many 16 year olds you can have on a roster, perhaps 4 so that may come into play considering the number of top picks we have this year. Could see us trading a 4th for a couple picks down the road…

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

spits

Jul 24, 2013
The squad will be a lot better next year IF they can get a really talented d-man at 3rd overall in the import draft. With Russians now allowed, I see no reason why they shouldn't.

I would also acquire a solid veteran D-man. Use one of the 2025 2nds if you have to, after all, they have another 3 2nds in next year's 2025 draft. The import and a new veteran Dman alone should improve the team immensely. There is a decent chance there will be five NHL draft picks on the Spitfires this upcoming season. The conference is going to be really weak next year, probably the weakest it's been in a long time. Most teams were in their 'go for it' year this season.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I think Abraham will be traded this year for sure, may be early, may be at the deadline but he will get a return probably similar to Jack beck to the soo. And he’s similar in a way as well. Small, skilled player that has dealt with injuries.
Don't think the injuries are really a factor for either player. Maybe more comparable to a Lockhart than a Beck.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Unfortunately, we usually have to wait for the NHL draft for this list. But after the draft you get a great idea of what's out there.

Reactions: ErnieLeafs

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
List should be extensive. A few years worth of Russians and Belarusians could declare that they want to come over. 4 of the top 8 nhl draft intl skaters are D.
Yep, if there was ever a year you want a high import pick, it’s this one.

Let’s hope Windsor uses all their connections and goes after a high end ‘06 or ‘07. I think having a high end ‘05 would just be a waste of a pick for the team, and player since it’ll likely be a one and done.

Some high end defender’s I’m personally hoping Windsor could go after are the following.

Russia
Timur Kol ‘06
Alexander Siryatsky ‘06
Kurban Limatov ‘07
Maxim Agafonov ‘07
Ivan Stefanishin ‘07

Finland:
Aron Kiviharju (If Kitchener drop/dropped his rights) ‘06
Veeti Väisänen ‘06
Sebastian Soini ‘06
Mitja Jokinen ‘06
Jesper Kotajarvi ‘07

Sweden: (Swedish players almost never come CHL, but if they did)
Leo Sahlin Wallenius ‘06
Alfons Freij ‘06
Gabriel Eliasson ‘06
Max Vilen ‘06
Oliwer Sjöström’07

Germany:
Rio Kaiser (If Petes drop/dropped his rights) ‘06
Maximillian Merkl ‘06
Carlos Händel ‘07
Max Bleicher ‘07

Czechia:
Adam Jiricek ‘06 (if Brantford drop/dropped his rights)
Tomas Galvas ‘06 (if Mississauga drop
/dropped his rights)
Radim Mrtka ‘07
Martin Svec ‘06
Jan Skok ‘06
Tomas Mikel

Switzerland:
Daniil Ustinkov ‘06 (If London drop his rights)
Leon Muggli ‘06
Ludvig Johnson ‘06
Basile Sansonnens ‘06

Slovakia:
Luka Radivojevic ‘07
Vladimir Dravecky ‘07
Samuel Kupec ‘06

Norway:
Ludvig Lafton ‘06

Belarus:
Arseni Marchenko ‘06

Latvia:
Darels Uljanskis ‘06

Now, this isn’t a list to take as gospel - just a few names I’ve kept an eye on from these age groups that could be somewhat realistic. Now no matter who they select - I’ll be sure to fill you all in on them. Just thought I’d get some names out there for those interested.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Yep, if there was ever a year you want a high import pick, it’s this one.

Let’s hope Windsor uses all their connections and goes after a high end ‘06 or ‘07. I think having a high end ‘05 would just be a waste of a pick for the team, and player since it’ll likely be a one and done.

Some high end defender’s I’m personally hoping Windsor could go after are the following.

Russia
Timur Kol ‘06
Alexander Siryatsky ‘06
Kurban Limatov ‘07
Maxim Agafonov ‘07
Ivan Stefanishin ‘07

Finland:
Aron Kiviharju (If Kitchener drop/dropped his rights) ‘06
Veeti Väisänen ‘06
Sebastian Soini ‘06
Mitja Jokinen ‘06
Jesper Kotajarvi ‘07

Sweden: (Swedish players almost never come CHL, but if they did)
Leo Sahlin Wallenius ‘06
Alfons Freij ‘06
Gabriel Eliasson ‘06
Max Vilen ‘06
Oliwer Sjöström’07

Germany:
Rio Kaiser (If Petes drop/dropped his rights) ‘06
Maximillian Merkl ‘06
Carlos Händel ‘07
Max Bleicher ‘07

Czechia:
Adam Jiricek ‘06 (if Brantford drop/dropped his rights)
Tomas Galvas ‘06 (if Mississauga drop
/dropped his rights)
Radim Mrtka ‘07
Martin Svec ‘06
Jan Skok ‘06
Tomas Mikel

Switzerland:
Daniil Ustinkov ‘06 (If London drop his rights)
Leon Muggli ‘06
Ludvig Johnson ‘06
Basile Sansonnens ‘06

Slovakia:
Luka Radivojevic ‘07
Vladimir Dravecky ‘07
Samuel Kupec ‘06

Norway:
Ludvig Lafton ‘06

Belarus:
Arseni Marchenko ‘06

Latvia:
Darels Uljanskis ‘06

Now, this isn’t a list to take as gospel - just a few names I’ve kept an eye on from these age groups that could be somewhat realistic. Now no matter who they select - I’ll be sure to fill you all in on them. Just thought I’d get some names out there for those interested.
Excellent. 👍Big thank you German Spitfire. Greatly appreciate your insight as always especially considering how swamped you must be this time of year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad