Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Not a lot of time remaining but I’m still convinced WR will want to go out with a bang.Just my humble opinion.Maybe move Staios or Douglas?

for what it’s worth, i thoroughly believe that Warren is done within a week.

and the import will be reporting

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Lots of new faces coming now - I will give them all a clean slate - 10 games in to the regular season before I will throw my halfpence in the ring. Way to early to say they are a good get or a bad get. I just want to wish them well and they get a fair chance to show their stuff.

Reactions: TheGremlin

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Spits pick at #14
WindsorRafkin, Ruben6.001882002-01-08RDLincoln StarsFinnish
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Ruben Rafkin - RD
Windsor Spitfires
Selected 14th in Round # 1
Shoots:
R
Height:
Weight:
Hometown:
Turku, Fin
Last Team:
Lincoln Stars
Nationality:
Finnish
Eliteprospects has him ranked 74 for the upcoming draft - so somewhere between the 3rd and 4th round.

OHL hasn’t approved the new ownership structure it will be on the August agenda so Warren is staying until the league approves the structure and gets paid out (probably Oct/Nov)

if your a Spits fan be thankful Warren was able to close on the new SPITS players - Jodion, Johnston, Egor, and Rafkin.
Anyone would have closed on Zito and Maggio was done in December by Warren but motivated by Savage.

Savage is an OHL governor that is not liked and/or trusted. Respect within many governors and GM dropped recently on how he has managed the team and ownership transition.

DiPietro trade was a 2 part trade to bring Maggio to the team; Warren got BOTH the Russian and today’s import player because of his strong relationship with their agent. Warren has demonstrated his worth BUT Savage wants him out.

Frasca asked for a trade, it will be accommodated. Spits will trade for draft picks not players

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
OHL hasn’t approved the new ownership structure it will be on the August agenda so Warren is staying until the league approves the structure and gets paid out (probably Oct/Nov)

if your a Spits fan be thankful Warren was able to close on the new SPITS players - Jodion, Johnston, Egor, and Rafkin.
Anyone would have closed on Zito and Maggio was done in December by Warren but motivated by Savage.

Savage is an OHL governor that is not liked and/or trusted. Respect within many governors and GM dropped recently on how he has managed the team and ownership transition.

DiPietro trade was a 2 part trade to bring Maggio to the team; Warren got BOTH the Russian and today’s import player because of his strong relationship with their agent. Warren has demonstrated his worth BUT Savage wants him out.

Frasca asked for a trade, it will be accommodated. Spits will trade for draft picks not players

Hmmm interesting.
Guess will c what happens. Earlier or later.....

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Grinding, in-your-face, hard to play against. (if you disagree, cool, but that's what it is)
That barely exists anymore and it's effectiveness has been neutered unfortunately. It's a major reason why I fell in love with playing and watching the game but it's nearly gone. That being said, a semblance of it does still exist and if you watched or read about Guelph's march through the playoffs this year, it does still exist on a diminished level and can still be somewhat effective and yes Windsor teams still exhibit those traits to an extent.

Reactions: randomhero4life

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The majority of the "in-your-face" game is gone, but there are still players who play it. You won't see Rafkin get into any fights but a good body check or two isn't out of the question.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
That barely exists anymore and it's effectiveness has been neutered unfortunately. It's a major reason why I fell in love with playing and watching the game but it's nearly gone. That being said, a semblance of it does still exist and if you watched or read about Guelph's march through the playoffs this year, it does still exist on a diminished level and can still be somewhat effective and yes Windsor teams still exhibit those traits to an extent.

That was the point of my prior post. I find it ironic a lot of the sports have changed. MLB is all about HRs, stopped with the bunting. NFL is a pass happy league. NBA is freedom of movement getting the best players to have the chance to be at their best. Hockey they want the same thing and there are some fans out there that still thirst for the Don Cherry rock em sock em videos etc.. Times change, the game changes. Unfortunately Rychel has had difficulty adjusting to that type of style of game. There's no guarantee that the next guy can adjust but it's time for a different vision.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
The majority of the "in-your-face" game is gone, but there are still players who play it. You won't see Rafkin get into any fights but a good body check or two isn't out of the question.

Windsor coaching doesnt inckude body checks. At least last few years.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
That was the point of my prior post. I find it ironic a lot of the sports have changed. MLB is all about HRs, stopped with the bunting. NFL is a pass happy league. NBA is freedom of movement getting the best players to have the chance to be at their best. Hockey they want the same thing and there are some fans out there that still thirst for the Don Cherry rock em sock em videos etc.. Times change, the game changes. Unfortunately Rychel has had difficulty adjusting to that type of style of game. There's no guarantee that the next guy can adjust but it's time for a different vision.
The most important factor would be the GM and coach have the same vision and the coach coaches to the style of players the GM brings in - that is what is lacking for the Spits right now.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
The CHL is not a very fan friendly organization to say the least. To get info is like pulling teeth (no pun intended).
Still holding out hope that the Spits have something newsworthy to announce this morning but nowhere on God’s green earth can I find info that says the OHL trade deadline is 11AM or 12PM today....

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
But a good body check will lead to a fight so i think if he is a hitter he will get into a fight or 2

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
The CHL is not a very fan friendly organization to say the least. To get info is like pulling teeth (no pun intended).
Still holding out hope that the Spits have something newsworthy to announce this morning but nowhere on God’s green earth can I find info that says the OHL trade deadline is 11AM or 12PM today....
Agree totally, trade windows dates/times are guarded by the CHL/OHL like a nuclear secret. The only admission of such info comes from usually WR. Paper article the other day has Parker stating the close of the June window is 11 am today. Why the CHL does not just have a simple calender showing all dates including their meetings is beyond yesteryear. Grow the fan base with transparency. Heck Branch could leave the CHL and become head of the secret service lol.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Say what you will about tough hockey. But let’s look at Guelph, played hard nosed hockey got to the men cup. How about stLouis and Boston? Same idea. Hard nosed still wins championships!!
Absolutely correct, playing heavy like St Louis did wears out the opponent, especially in a playoff series. They did it with taking a minimal amount of penalties. Their power play was reminiscent of the Spits power play the last 2 yrs. Non existent yet they still won. I loved the compete level our rookies showed last season. If all the new players obtained/ drafted coming in this year have the same level of compete as last year's rookie crop were in for a major improvement. The big question is whether TL lets them develope their own unique style and adapt accordingly like a real coach. He'd better adapt this season or his days of coaching kids at this level will fade away for good.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Sounds as if someone is dealing....
The @AttackOHL @Ohlhockey have made a deal with @Sudbury_Wolves
The @AttackOHL have acquired former 1st rounder Kirill Nizhnikov in exchange for 2 conditional draft picks ( 4th in 2002 + a 5th in 2023 ). @NewsBayshore
**** a number of trades being announced at this point....so far nothing involving the Spits...

Last edited:

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Spits trade..
Jun. 28WSRChristian StevensNIAGNIAG 15 2023*
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Tweet by Long Balls Walls..
Windsor sends Christian Stevens to the Niagara IceDogs for a conditional 15th round pick. Stevens is committed to UMass (Amherst) for the 21/22 season and spent last year with the Whitby Fury in OJHL. A 6th round pick by Windsor in 2018
*** only advantage I see in this is freeing up a spot on the 50 man protected list
********* per Jim Parker....
The Windsor #Spitfires @SpitsHockey have traded centre Christian Stevens (a 2018 6th-round pick) to the Niagara #IceDogs for a conditional 15th-round pick in 2023. That pick becomes a 6th-round pick in 2022 if Stevens plays one game for Niagara.

Last edited:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Absolutely correct, playing heavy like St Louis did wears out the opponent, especially in a playoff series. They did it with taking a minimal amount of penalties. Their power play was reminiscent of the Spits power play the last 2 yrs. Non existent yet they still won. I loved the compete level our rookies showed last season. If all the new players obtained/ drafted coming in this year have the same level of compete as last year's rookie crop were in for a major improvement. The big question is whether TL lets them develope their own unique style and adapt accordingly like a real coach. He'd better adapt this season or his days of coaching kids at this level will fade away for good.

I dont see his ways changing.
So frustrating as a fan.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
They must have read your post - media notes ( OHL website) indicate that the next trade window opens Thursday August 1st - I have never seen them put that info out before!

Reactions: punch1943
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad