Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I like the pick, if they're able to bring him over. Maybe they've got connections and Afanasyev can convince him that the OHL is the best route.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Hmm something’s odd. Very few nhl drafted kids getting called here... right handed D men are like gold as long as he can play good pick!

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Spits select Ruben Rafkin RD from Finland
I would assume that the Spits have a verbal commitment from him (obtained last night or this morning). If they don't, this is almost as big a screw-up as when they drafted De La Rose and his Swedish team wouldn't release him.

Last edited:
Hard to speculate what is behind this deal but I doubt it would be based solely on business partners doing favours for each other because of non related interests.

I don't know what type of knowledge or experience you have with the running of a business that relies 100% on public support for it's success be it sports, entertainment, restaurants etc.

Any favour that may be done in these situations for outside interests would have to have a direct benefit for the business itself with a cost that provides immediate and future impact in a positive way.

Having grown up around a number of businesses and seeing from the inside how favours you are suggesting can affect the success of a business like this in different areas including family based entertainment, adult related entertainment, restaurants, broadcasting and sports related I've seen what favours done for unqualified persons can do to a business with some recovering from those favours and some not.

This to me looks more like Rychel trying to recover in missing out on a player he valued then simply one business associate doing a favour for another in a non related field. The kid is qualified, he is an OHL talent so the question becomes the cost of the acquisition. If I'm the parent and my kid in on a team that just made a nice long run and is poised to do it again in his time there I would be looking to keep the kid in the successful situation where he would gain more attention instead of bringing him home where this team has had it's struggles as well as a fair bit of anarchy surrounding it this off season. From a parent's perspective the best place for him was Ottawa even though Windsor has a decent reputation they are not currently poised for similar success just yet. To say this in a year or two once Ottawa starts to rebuild and Windsor is poised to make a run then seeing him brought home as a favour, provided he's proved he could be a major part of that success then you would do this type of favour but not at this point. You could even say the cost involved would actually make things detrimental to the potential success of the team and the kid.

So no, I don't think this was a favour to an outside party, simply doing what was required to acquire a piece that was coveted at last years draft.

Let’s agree to disagree on this topic. Noteworthy is that Savage public comments and that trade was done in December.
The rules wouldn’t permit for this trade to be announced until yesterday.
Keep in mind that Savage wants to sell and probably has a deal in place for Boogies 20% with Maggio
Not bringing up Hayes last yr was also a mistake. It wasn’t done so the Spits save money on education and to make room for Maggio - the best interest of the Spits fans and players is different then best interests for ownership.
Hayes would have helped the team and was selected ahead of Maggio by the Spits.
Not selecting Maggio was more of an insult to Savage then an error by Rychel.

Don’t be fooled the smoke and mirror show

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I would assume that the Spits have a verbal commitment from him (obtained last night or this morning). If they don't, this is almost as big a screw-up as when they drafted De La Rose and his Swedish team wouldn't release him.

True. Lol
That went so well.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
The quote from WR says the kid should fit in nicely with the 02s and 03s; I don't get the impression he's a challenge to get here.

They have to spin the news to look good.
Its always been spun that way. Even when things go wrong .

member 71782

Let’s agree to disagree on this topic. Noteworthy is that Savage public comments and that trade was done in December.
The rules wouldn’t permit for this trade to be announced until yesterday.
Keep in mind that Savage wants to sell and probably has a deal in place for Boogies 20% with Maggio
Not bringing up Hayes last yr was also a mistake. It wasn’t done so the Spits save money on education and to make room for Maggio - the best interest of the Spits fans and players is different then best interests for ownership.
Hayes would have helped the team and was selected ahead of Maggio by the Spits.
Not selecting Maggio was more of an insult to Savage then an error by Rychel.

Don’t be fooled the smoke and mirror show

I agree with certain parts of this, been one of Windsor's and Rychel's harshest critics on here.

As I've said in other posts, I thought it was mentioned that Windsor was interested in Maggio at the draft last year and my guess is he did what he did in 2010 with his son, bet on him being available at a later spot then he should have been.

I won't pretend that I have any direct knowledge of what's going on behind the scenes with ownership. I've speculated that we see new ownership in two years with this entire group gone which would make no sense to bring in someone else at this point to but out Boughner unless the Cypher guys have a change of heart and decide they want to keep the team in which case everything could have been resolved already which would have made more sense to do.

We disagree on the motives/reasons for the deal, no problem. I think the kid can contribute going forward in a meaningful way but not thrilled on the cost as a stand alone deal and I do feel that this is all tied into the DiPietro deal.

LeafsFan18

Go Leafs Go
Aug 18, 2009
Windsor
From the Spits’ Twitter:

"It's a big deal to me to get drafted by a great organization like Windsor. It's a big day for me." - @rubenrafkin8

"I'm a good teammate. I play hard for my team. Off the ice, I'm a really nice guy. But on the ice, I'm annoying to play against." - @rubenrafkin8

I think it’s a safe bet he reports

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Having been in North America for a bit already, he's adjusted to our style and that's a big start. He wants to be here, too, and seems to play "Spitfires' hockey." I'm looking forward to him in camp.

Reactions: randomhero4life

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Having been in North America for a bit already, he's adjusted to our style and that's a big start. He wants to be here, too, and seems to play "Spitfires' hockey." I'm looking forward to him in camp.

What is spitfire hockey?
We sure haven't seen in in multiple multiple years.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I love that style, but in the Branch Hockey League, that means lots of penalties and suspensions.

Are they hard nosed, gritty players that muck it up in the corners and take no guff??? That's akin to a baseball manager wanting to bunt all the time right now. The players have changed but the philosophy and vision hasn't. :(

member 71782

So what's the next move for Windsor and does it happen before the summer freeze?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad