Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
"Why doesn't Rychel hold himself accountable?"

(Rychel holds himself accountable)

"But..."

:dunno:

We've got a 2002 who made a dynamic team like the 67's, showed really good offence the season before locally, and is pumped to be here. For all we know, two 2nds could be laughable in a seasons time. "Two 2nds? That's it??" I'm eager to play this one out. Plus, it gives a bit of an idea of which route we're going for the Import Draft (D).
To me it makes him look more like an idiot. Oh i could have gotten him in 3rd or 4th so now i spent 2 2nds to fix that.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

member 71782

I thought there was speculation Windsor was planning on drafting him last year in the first couple of rounds. I was actually shocked based on what was being said that he lasted until the fifth and didn't end up here. Maybe I was reading a bit more into it then what was being said.

Regardless, I don't mind the pick up, think he has some upside but like the Cuylle deal it's a lot of pick value when considered as a stand alone deal but when looking at everything together it is more palatable. I liked acquiring Cuylle but found the cost to be excessive considering the state of Windsor's draft picks at the time.

Now the cupboard is even more bare.

I didn't even have the KNG 2nd in 2022 showing in my list so where we actually stand with picks I'm unsure. This is what I have at the moment.

Draft Picks (Up until 2024, as far out as they can be traded)
2020 – 1st, FLT 2nd, KIT 4th, OSH 4th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, GUE 12th, 13th, OTT 14th, WSR 15th
2021 – 1st, LDN 2nd, 4th, ERI 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, BAR 15th, OTT 15th (COND)
2022 – 1st, OTT 2nd, 3rd, ERI 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th
2023 – 1st, OTT 2nd, KIT 3rd, KNG 3rd, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th
2024 – 1st, KGN 2nd, BAR 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th

These are the conditions I still have listed as well. Will need to look back at them and review which deals they are tied to. If anyone has any info please let me know

- WSR 4th 2023 will go to Ottawa if Hunter Carrick plays one game with Windsor (per Windsor Star). Windsor retains this pick?
- KGN 2nd 2027 & 2028 will go to Windsor if Gabriel Vilardi returns for the 2018-19 season (per Windsor Star). Does Vilardi need to play or simply be returned?
- KIT 2nd 2024 will become an earlier 2nd if Windsor acquires a 2nd in 2020 or 2021 (per Windsor Star). Cuylle trade. Flint 2nd in 2020 should go to Peterborough and Windsor retains Kitchener 2nd in 2024? I believe with this pick we will lose the FLT pick in 2020 and have the the KIT pick back in 2024 unless someone knows differently.
- OTT 15 2021 tied to unspecified conditions in WIlliam Sirman trade. Conditions?
- WSR 15th 2022 tied to unspecified conditions regarding Ben Garagan. Conditions?

Based on the conditions they should actually look like this.

Draft Picks (Up until 2024, as far out as they can be traded)

2020 – 1st, KIT 4th, OSH 4th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, GUE 12th, 13th, OTT 14th, WSR 15th

2021 – 1st, LDN 2nd, 4th, ERI 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, BAR 15th, OTT 15th (COND)

2022 – 1st, OTT 2nd, 3rd, ERI 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th

2023 – 1st, OTT 2nd, KIT 3rd, KNG 3rd, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th

2024 – 1st, KIT 2nd KGN 2nd, BAR 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th

Time to restock the cupboard, there will have to be deals coming to add for the 2020 draft.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I find 2 - 2nds kinda high but you never really know what the 3rd or 4th part of these deals will bring? GM's have a much better picture on what the future holds and how this will play out over time - big question is which GM will be seeing this rebuild to the end?

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
"Why doesn't Rychel hold himself accountable?"

(Rychel holds himself accountable)

"But..."

:dunno:

We've got a 2002 who made a dynamic team like the 67's, showed really good offence the season before locally, and is pumped to be here. For all we know, two 2nds could be laughable in a seasons time. "Two 2nds? That's it??" I'm eager to play this one out. Plus, it gives a bit of an idea of which route we're going for the Import Draft (D).

I think it's less about making a mistake in general and more about making a mistake that was so easily avoidable and obvious.

If I remember, Maggio was very highly ranked (around round 2) and dropped quite a bit. I was shocked he was available in the fifth and even more so that WR didn't do anything to get a pick to grab him (say a future fourth for a fifth). He was an obvious pick to the average fan in the fourth round, based on not only being a local kid, but on skill and ranking, and you don't take him. That's what happens when you try and get cute with your picks and think you outsmart everyone. Rychel better be held accountable for something like this.

Based on all those things and the potential he had around him before the draft, even if he busted with the fourth round pick and McKay Hayes, wherever he went, was a star, I would have no issues with that selection as it was the clear choice. Matt Sbrocca is another one in a similar situation that I feel could end up biting the management. Max Donoso as well.

No issues with Maggio himself joining the team and I hope he turns out well, but this is just brutal asset management. Sure, down the line if he is a star, two 2nds may seem like nothing, but he could have been had for the cost of a 4th or 5th, bird in hand, and WR dropped the ball. There is no justifying that.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I thought there was speculation Windsor was planning on drafting him last year in the first couple of rounds. I was actually shocked based on what was being said that he lasted until the fifth and didn't end up here. Maybe I was reading a bit more into it then what was being said.

Regardless, I don't mind the pick up, think he has some upside but like the Cuylle deal it's a lot of pick value when considered as a stand alone deal but when looking at everything together it is more palatable. I liked acquiring Cuylle but found the cost to be excessive considering the state of Windsor's draft picks at the time.

Now the cupboard is even more bare.

Agreed, not a bad addition but cost is the ?
It will help the team on ice IMO. ( middle 6 type) Spits have never beem shy throwing picks around for players thou.
It was a down year for the Alliance and not many kids got picked early.
I thought someone would reach in rd 3/4 but was wrong.
Good job by Ott re. asset management moving that player after 1 year for 2 2nds

Maybe it was as suggested in an sarlier post , a part 2 of DiPi deal?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
No issues with Maggio himself joining the team and I hope he turns out well, but this is just brutal asset management. Sure, down the line if he is a star, two 2nds may seem like nothing, but he could have been had for the cost of a 4th or 5th, bird in hand, and WR dropped the ball. There is no justifying that.

My point was more that Rychel admitted it was a mistake, which is what people on here have wanted for a while ("accountability!!"). Now that he has done just that, people are still upset. Let the kid play and see what happens. You got what you wanted, no?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
To me it makes him look more like an idiot. Oh i could have gotten him in 3rd or 4th so now i spent 2 2nds to fix that.

I wonder if he wanted another 5th rounder in 2018 and traded for a 5th that it would have cost him 2 2nd's from another team??? It wouldn't have. This isn't Rychel being accountable this is him rationalizing the cost of acquiring a player.

LeafsFan18

Go Leafs Go
Aug 18, 2009
Windsor
19-20 Windsor Spitfires

Cuylle Foudy Afanasyev
D’Amico Angle Purboo
Douglas Playfair McDonald
Zito Johnston Maggio

Staios Corcoran
Stevenson Ladd
Robinson Henault
Jodoin

Piiroinen
Medina
Incze

Import Pick D?
Release Garagan?
Trade Boka & Frasca?

Missing anyone of note??

Last edited:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
1 good thing about getting a local kid is that is roughly 5 to 6 more people in the stands to watch the game. Lol
Windsor needs all the fans their can get. Haha

Last edited:

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Oops, typo on my part - "Stevenson IS gone and they bring in a tougher, more physical veteran D."
Not to rain on the parade but so far we’ve yet to make hockey trade. Same song and dance as last year. We sign some draft choices and ship some picks out to bring in new faces. After a bit we find out we have too many players who end up getting waived for next to nothing....

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
So... we'd rather have no moves? I thought we did that for the last few weeks and people were getting rather nervous. We just had three signings and a trade; that's not a bad June.

BTW, "hockey trades", which are traditionally player for player, are very rare in the OHL. I have found four (4) dating back three seasons.

Reactions: LeafsFan18
The Ottawa 67's making a trade today, sending Matt Maggio to the Windsor Spitfires in exchange for a pair of 2nd round picks.

The Ottawa 67’s have acquired a pair of second-round draft picks in exchange for 16-year-old forward Matt Maggio, the club announced on Wednesday.
Maggio, a native of Tecumseh, ON, heads close to home in Windsor, where his father Rob was previously the Spitfires’ Strength and Conditioning Coach.
The draft picks coming back to the 67’s include Kingston’s second round selection in 2022 and Kitchener’s second round selection in 2023.
In 35 games in his first OHL campaign last year, Maggio put up four goals and three assists for seven points for the Barber Poles.

Both your posts today reference this trade. Your initial post was before either Ottawa or Windsor made the announcement

Why didn’t you mention that this was Part B of December trade? Family? Business partner of player family?
Because he is a 16yrs old not drafted in the 1st round this trade had to be delayed (part B)

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
As I’ve said D man for sure. They still have connections so let’s hope one of those nhl drafted D men comes to Windsor!!! Good to hear he admitted he screwed up, takes balls. U guys can’t have it both ways so pick a side lol. To me with the right trades to come, the forwards are set. Those I mentioned earlier will get you some picks and likely a player back. Heaping blame for the mikey trade still doesn’t hold water folks. It is widely known mikey made the call as to when and where the trade would happen. It’s not on WR!! Still won’t renew my ST tho, not until TL is gone!!

Reactions: OHLTG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad