Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I don’t think it really matters why he is leaving. Pretty sure writing was on the wall he would be gone with all the rumors and once he sold his portion of team. If he is leaving i don’t see it as a shock. Like i said before he hasn’t done a whole lot since 2011. But has probably been the best Windsor has had. Now hopefully this team can move in a new direction and start winning again.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
To some it might not matter why he's leaving, but if a 12-year GM gets up and just walks away, after all he's done, I'd sure like to know the reason. "Oh, so-and-so just walked away from the team after a decade? Cool... so, what's for dinner?" I want to know why. I want to know what sparked this - has it been happening since the sale? Is Bowler the official GM? There are lots of questions; people may or may not want an answer, but I sure do.

And u think they will be answered?
Haha

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I don’t think it really matters why he is leaving. Pretty sure writing was on the wall he would be gone with all the rumors and once he sold his portion of team. If he is leaving i don’t see it as a shock. Like i said before he hasn’t done a whole lot since 2011. But has probably been the best Windsor has had. Now hopefully this team can move in a new direction and start winning again.

Agreed, it doesn't matter why he's leaving. What matters more is what the new GM does. What matters is for the last few months things have been rocky to say the least and what the organization does moving forward to change that.

member 71782

If this is true then I think it shows just how badly the entire ownership group needs to be changed sooner rather then later.

Now I've been very critical of Rychel the last few years and can see the need for a change but with a number of things that have been mentioned the last couple of months surrounding the proposed sale this move at this time is probably the worst that could happen to this team.

If Rychel is leaving on his own then good for him, can't say I would blame him but I highly doubt this would be a decision made by Rychel on his own, doesn't seem like a move he would be making at this point in time.

When all things are considered in terms of all the rumours that have been around, the sale being pushed by the Savages, Rychel being somewhat handcuffed, reportedly by the Savages the last little while etc and now with a week and a half to go until the import draft suddenly Rychel is rumoured to be leaving? Something smells funny here and any ideas anyone may have had in terms of stability with the sale being called off and the current ownership group etc remaining well, this shows this current ownership group provides no more stability then we would have seen if the team had been sold.

Myself, once the new ownership structure was announced I figured this was all about maximizing revenue regardless of the final product. Yes I figured we would see some improvement, enough to justify an increased sale price to cover the extra time/costs involved with carrying the team for an extra season or two but for something like this to happen, especially if a new GM is simply a new yes man and not an experienced GM just shows where Boughner and Rychel made their biggest mistake, bringing the Savages and company into the ownership fold.

Yes, Rychel's time was probably up had he continued the way he was but if he was handcuffed when it came to doing his job then admittedly a lot of that criticism has to go to others as well and he was handcuffed then any new GM will be under the same restraints and we won't see any better product on the ice then we would have with Rychel as GM which is very unfortunate.

Import draft a week and a half away?

First round pick still not signed with no indication at this point of that happening?

Major improvements that need to be made/holes to be filled?

Potentially a loyal yes man simply filling a role until a new sale can be arranged?

Yeah, lots of faith in this new ownership structure. No dentist but the mess keeps growing.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Gotta say I agree. Totally bad timing!! Once again savages true colours coming out. Sure it could be time to move on, he’s made some mistakes. But to just hand it over to BB is wrong. Just shows how their saving money to sell. In their mind a new qualified owner group will bring in their own people and this makes it easy to do!! I’m as disgusted today as I was when dentist rumour started!! So to be clear, their keeping the coaching staff, the GM is leaving to be replaced by someone with no ohl experience, and we don’t have our #1 signed!!! But the teams not still for sale?!?!?! I call BS!!! The savages won’t get one penny of my money!!

Reactions: member 71782

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Monday Morning Moanin.....
IMHO... If in fact WR is headed to greener pastures shortly I’ll be hoping his replacement has full authority. Love him or hate him WR will be a tough act to follow. If the next guy can win 3 memorial cups I’ll be happier than a pig in doo-doo. Personally I ‘d like to have a top contender every year...but you can’t have it both ways.
The way I look at the ownership group is perhaps a bit different than most. If you look at it from the owners perspective rather than the fans you’d say the owners put their $$$ in to buy the team and they have the right to run it the way they see fit. Most of us would do the same thing, we want to make money not lose it.
Hopefully things go well for both the fans and owners. This next couple of weeks could be the defining moment for the Spits..
** I note the Spits pictured at Roseland this am included Rychel, Bowler & Boughner
**note Also that Wyatt Johnston is ready to talk to Spits now the ownership has cleared up according to today’s story by Jim Parker

Last edited:
Reactions: Puck Stopper 1975

OHL 17

Nov 8, 2018
Windsor, On
The Spits have a ton of work to do!
Think about it:
The coaching is suspect..... boring style to attract fans
The GM did not do much for the Vipers.....middle of the road results
Terrible OHL draft, and they badly need more talent....bad choices, players not wanting to sign......
Import draft about a week away....need quality defenseman, maybe contact not in place now
Still many problems at WFCU...sound system, parking exits, concession prices, ect.
Very frugal management, as displayed in running the Vipers and Canadians
Rychel magic gone!!!!!!

Rychel has that" in your face personality", and never worried about what people thought of him. He had his way, and was only going to do it that way, so to be told how he was going to operate would not work (Savage likes control as well). Rychel produced terrific results in bringing the fans 3 Memorial Cups, and winning a cup on home ice was special for sure. Best wishes to Warren, and I would be certain he will hit the ground running.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
The Spits have a ton of work to do!
Think about it:
The coaching is suspect..... boring style to attract fans
The GM did not do much for the Vipers.....middle of the road results
Terrible OHL draft, and they badly need more talent....bad choices, players not wanting to sign......
Import draft about a week away....need quality defenseman, maybe contact not in place now
Still many problems at WFCU...sound system, parking exits, concession prices, ect.
Very frugal management, as displayed in running the Vipers and Canadians
Rychel magic gone!!!!!!

Rychel has that" in your face personality", and never worried about what people thought of him. He had his way, and was only going to do it that way, so to be told how he was going to operate would not work (Savage likes control as well). Rychel produced terrific results in bringing the fans 3 Memorial Cups, and winning a cup on home ice was special for sure. Best wishes to Warren, and I would be certain he will hit the ground running.
But the thing is his ways hasn’t worked in the last 9 years. Its like he hasn’t evolved. Not really sure what magic you speak of.

member 71782

Monday Morning Moanin.....
IMHO... If in fact WR is headed to greener pastures shortly I’ll be hoping his replacement has full authority. Love him or hate him WR will be a tough act to follow. If the next guy can win 3 memorial cups I’ll be happier than a pig in doo-doo. Personally I ‘d like to have a top contender every year...but you can’t have it both ways.
The way I look at the ownership group is perhaps a bit different than most. If you look at it from the owners perspective rather than the fans you’d say the owners put their $$$ in to buy the team and they have the right to run it the way they see fit. Most of us would do the same thing, we want to make money not lose it.
Hopefully things go well for both the fans and owners. This next couple of weeks could be the defining moment for the Spits..
** I note the Spits pictured at Roseland this am included Rychel, Bowler & Boughner
**note Also that Wyatt Johnston is ready to talk to Spits now the ownership has cleared up according to today’s story by Jim Parker

I don't disagree that an owner has the right and ability to do things the way they wish but a smart businessman would understand when to step in and make changes and when to leave things alone, regardless of what business they are in.

Obviously this group has had success in other ventures, no questions about that but when it comes to running a hockey club so far based on what's happened and what's rumoured to be happening this is one business they are as clueless as the dentist would have been and while we don't know what decisions the dentist may have eventually made the ones we are seeing and supposedly we've already seen have been pretty much all the wrongs moves.

Until there is an announcement made Rychel leaving is only a rumour or speculation but many rumours lately have had a lot of substance lately so any rumours at this point will likely be taken as fact until proven otherwise. As I said if this is Rychel's decision alone, good for him. Get out while he can with the way things appear to be going.

If this is not Rychel's decision then from a business standpoint this would be the dumbest decision this group could make.

Coaching staff that a large part of the fanbase wants to see gone, keep them.

A GM that regardless of my personal opinion a large part of the fanbase wants to see stay, move on from him.

Those would be the first two major decisions they make since taking over a majority/controlling stake in the team and both are the wrong ones with the fanbase.

Pinch pennies where it makes sense to make more money? No problem with that but piss off the fanbase when you are supposedly trying to repair the damage done with a botched sale that created a number of issues for the team as well as a lot of anxiety for the fanbase and try to say you have the best interests of the team and fans in mind? Pure BS.

The only way any of this makes sense is if they have another buyer already lined up and they are planning on spending this season clearing the deck for them.

I think, while being smart businessmen in their other ventures they fail to realize that when dealing with a fanbase for the core support of a business like this they are completely clueless.

As I also said, if the comments that have been on here the last little while suggesting Rychel, as a part owner had been handcuffed for financial/other reasons then the likelihood of another GM, be it Bowler or someone completely new will have sort of autonomy or authority to manage the team as they feel it needs to be to have success is less then zero.

We all hope for the best but I don't see it happening if Rychel is taken out of the picture and this comes from me, someone who has been saying for a couple of seasons it's time for Rychel to move on.

Good news on Johnston. Wasn't happy that he appeared to be a bit of a reach when he was drafted but the kid certainly seems to have some potential so hopefully it all works out.

Rychel, Boughner and Bowler all together? Would be an interesting situation with all that is rumoured to be going on. After seeing the pic with Afanasyev, Rychel and Bowler, Bowler looked to be all smiles while Rychel looked to be forcing things a bit.

Regardless of what ends up happening it's clear with all that's been going on and not going on that all is not good in Spits land.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I found the timing of the signing the day before the open house tix sale and the no announcement re: if indeed WR is leaving till after the open house sneaky. Sign up as many as possible before dropping the next bombshell. I posted before that the way WR silence about the ownership shares was a big red flag. The uncertainty continues.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Still looks like one big happy family today at the golf course lol
D9RNpI2WwAAgFiu.jpeg

Reactions: three dog night

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
If his ways didn't work in 2017, we wouldn't have the Cup. Asterisks aside, this can't be denied. I'm hoping the rumours aren't true; we need good stuff right now.

PS. The Johnston article in the Star was very good. Keep that coming!

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Smiles at golf event today for a reason. Johnston article is a positive step forward for sure. Hopefully there's a press conference tomorrow to announce him possible being signed. Then on to Zito and the import draft. Then we will have lots to discuss other than ownership thankfully.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Smiles at golf event today for a reason. Johnston article is a positive step forward for sure. Hopefully there's a press conference tomorrow to announce him possible being signed. Then on to Zito and the import draft. Then we will have lots to discuss other than ownership thankfully.

U wont be done with ownership talk. Haha

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Possibly you are aware of another GM that has won 3 MC??????
Its so funny how this is the go to response. The first 2 he built a powerhouse team. Then had to trade some key guys and still made conference finals in 11. Those 3 years were impressive. I loved being able to share 17 with my dad and have a memory that will last forever. But from 12-16 there was nothing. Then they got to host so he had no choice but to do what he could to make a competitive team. IMO the only saving grace of 17 was we had DiPietro. That was by far Warrens best move drafting him since 12. Maybe we should have beat London if it wasn’t for that bad call but i’d much rather be winning OHL titles cause if we are winning those then we will be in MC. But in order to do that we need to win in playoffs. Not have 7 or 8 wins since 2012.

Reactions: Teflon

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
If his ways didn't work in 2017, we wouldn't have the Cup. Asterisks aside, this can't be denied. I'm hoping the rumours aren't true; we need good stuff right now.

PS. The Johnston article in the Star was very good. Keep that coming!
Did it really work when no playoff series win or division title. Like it has been said before. We were lucky to get to host in 17 for the win. Warren always goes for big kids that aren’t physical. We don’t need guys 6’8. I’d take 6’2 guys that will dig in corners And hit bodies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Did it really work when no playoff series win or division title.

We could go over this again, but I'll just say "yes." It was literally a historic season for the conference.

I'm stil not convinced that the lack of physicality is on the players as much as it's on TL.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
We could go over this again, but I'll just say "yes." It was literally a historic season for the conference.

I'm stil not convinced that the lack of physicality is on the players as much as it's on TL.

You realize Warren is the one that hired Letowski? Did Warren not talk to Letowski about what his vision was for his team? So even if the lack of physicality is being put on the coaches look at the guy that hired him. You can deflect all you want but Rychel has to own this because all these are players he acquired and has given Letowski.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR

No doubt about it. I'd say on 99% TL. Look at the reigns he had on Douglas and Starikov last year. The previous year both we're way more physical. Not a game TL preaches. The Blues won the cup because of their physicality. If Berube was the Spits coach they would look completely different. There may even be a few more fights. Something the old STH would pay for even during all those lean years at the old barn. Like it or not, big hits and fights draw as much applause as goals. I don't want to hear it's a different game now. Yes that's true but doesn't mean the fans agree. I don't want to see young players viciously hurt, just old school clean rock m sock hm hockey. That's what put hockey on the map. Remember when hitting from behind was not even a penalty and played by players with no helmuts or masks.

Reactions: OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You realize Warren is the one that hired Letowski? Did Warren not talk to Letowski about what his vision was for his team? So even if the lack of physicality is being put on the coaches look at the guy that hired him. You can deflect all you want but Rychel has to own this because all these are players he acquired and has given Letowski.

So, because WR hired TL, WR is to blame for the lack of physicality? No. I know you don't like WR but not every thing goes back to him. He doesn't run the systems. He doesn't control what TL does. For all we know, there could be some disconnect; guys like Boka and Purboo didn't lay off players during the Rocky Hockey days, right?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
So, because WR hired TL, WR is to blame for the lack of physicality? No. I know you don't like WR but not every thing goes back to him. He doesn't run the systems. He doesn't control what TL does. For all we know, there could be some disconnect; guys like Boka and Purboo didn't lay off players during the Rocky Hockey days, right?

It has nothing to do with not liking WR. Fact is he hired Letowski the buck stops with him for that hire and the buck stops with Letowski for how they perform on the ice. Of course Rychel gave him these players as well.

Well since you like ohlinsiders yes maybe for all we could know there was a disconnect. Of course on the other hand apparently Boka told Rychel to stay out of the room as well. See there how there are 2 sides to everything. If the Boka and Rychel rift is true that's on Rychel and Boka and has nothing to do with Letowski. In fact this probably makes Rychel look worse because he hired Letowski and most likely based upon comments like that he's trying to meddle with the group which is a no-no.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
the buck stops with Letowski for how they perform on the ice.

... like I said, their lack of physical play is on TL.

Well since you like ohlinsiders yes maybe for all we could know there was a disconnect. Of course on the other hand apparently Boka told Rychel to stay out of the room as well. See there how there are 2 sides to everything. If the Boka and Rychel rift is true that's on Rychel and Boka and has nothing to do with Letowski. In fact this probably makes Rychel look worse because he hired Letowski and most likely based upon comments like that he's trying to meddle with the group which is a no-no.

WR "meddling" has nothing to do with how players act on the ice, like you said above. This kind of feels like a "let's find a way to blame Rychel for something."

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

When the player is lazy.
Example Douglas

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Boka?
Laughable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad