Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Oh, look, another discussion about attendance. We haven't reached the 100-time mark, so I guess it's reasonable...

PS. Wyatt Johnston and Egor Afanasyev are pretty rockin'...

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Geez 7 can u post ANYTHING remotely positive?!?! Not sure why you continue to participate. Your comments sound like a record skipping!!! Good that he’s signed!! There’s gonna be some talent here. Truly hope the staff can find a way to coach them!!

The coaching staff needs to all go!

Dakotawarmth

Jan 20, 2018
Geez 7 can u post ANYTHING remotely positive?!?! Not sure why you continue to participate. Your comments sound like a record skipping!!! Good that he’s signed!! There’s gonna be some talent here. Truly hope the staff can find a way to coach them!!
7 wakes up looking for a dog to kick while hoping for a tornado. Like a bad puppy he’s best ignored until his behaviour improves

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

I laughed; Cuylle/Foudy were on the top two lines from nearly November onwards. Stir, stir, stir...

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
You could make the case 2017 was the sweetner year. Fans wanted in for the opportunity of getting Memorial Cup tickets. Moving forward there really isn't a large motivation to make that type of investment with the team. We have seen the drop since the 2017 hosting year. You could make the case there's another drop coming up this year as well.
Or you could make a case the team is going to be better this year. 2 very good players signed so far and counting. Really not the time of year to judge which way they will go. Another top D, a great import pick ya never know.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I laughed; Cuylle/Foudy were on the top two lines from nearly November onwards. Stir, stir, stir...

However when the team needed something they were not on the ice. There ice time was small compared to others on the team...

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Or you could make a case the team is going to be better this year. 2 very good players signed so far and counting. Really not the time of year to judge which way they will go. Another top D, a great import pick ya never know.

2 really good d would be ideal.
The defense is weak point.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Personally I think this drop will have more to do with ownership/dental group/switching up majority/minority ownership. I know of a couple people who's companies have suites at WFCU and they didn't renew them. Maybe another companies bought them instead. Yes you never know but fans aren't going to jump in eyes wide shut right now. Yes the crowds may increase from 4100 but early on the fans will want to see real good hockey. The start of the year will have front office drama written all over it.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
However when the team needed something they were not on the ice. There ice time was small compared to others on the team...

They were near the top of the team standings in production and were constantly on the first two lines. For first-year players, I'm good with that.

scokan

Nov 23, 2009
southern ontario

I was thinking the same thing, captain negativity for sure, any slight positive is continued with a but...
general response, congrats blues on winning the stanley cup!
7 response, ya but they lost 10 games.

Reactions: randomhero4life

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I was thinking the same thing, captain negativity for sure, any slight positive is continued with a but...

Blues played very well. Congratulations to them. 50 years in the making.
Lots of hitting n defence n of course luck.
Well deserved.
Personally im not a fan of that team.
I root for another.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit

It gets to a stage that it is not even worth coming on here!! (As I am currently on here lol) 2 big signings in a week....negative responses! Even though 2 weeks ago the same posters said that these 2 players needed to be signed. The rest of the hockey world that follows the OHL have stated on many occasions that they think Windsor is going to be a really good club as early as this coming season......yet some posters on here prefer the negative's. I have read so many times on here "It's not being negative if we are stating facts" Well not one person on here knows how this season will play out or how many fans will be at the games. YES!! There have been mistakes made over the course of time.....but how about focus on the present instead of the past. Winning games will put butt's in the seats!! With 18 potential returning players and god knows who else we might get......have some optimism for this season!! The potential sale to the dentist was nixed....be happy about that!! Focus more on the actual game and the players than the business side of things, god it's been talked to death already!! As for the posters that say their intent is not to be negative.....I call BS!! I have been reading this message board for a long time!!......It's beyond obvious that your intent is to be a negative shit!! Get a new hobby, get some mental help or whatever, point is ...it's pathetic. Anytime there is something positive that happens there is always a "but ....but ...but.. bull crap! I understand that everyone has the right to say or post whatever they want.......but seriously!! At least have a 50/50 perspective.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
It's pretty simple so far - take out Campbell and Garagan, insert Afanasyev, Johnston, and (now healed) McDonald. You've just improved your club immensely without doing much.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
7 wakes up looking for a dog to kick while hoping for a tornado. Like a bad puppy he’s best ignored until his behaviour improves
Well i kinda hope for a tornado but that’s because i like extreme weather and hope to see one in the country with very little damage. That doesn’t make me like 7 does it?

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
They were near the top of the team standings in production and were constantly on the first two lines. For first-year players, I'm good with that.
I think we understand that but when a goal was needed or had 5-3 PP where were they? Bench. Late in games. Bench. OT cuylle was on bench. Kids could have learned more on the ice and failing and learning from the failures then watching.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
There will be a learning curve for both new players. 16 yr old rookies usually get eased into the lineup and have some up n downs.
Egor may adjust more quickly being a couple years older.

But it definitely adds to the talent base moving forward and that is a much needed positive. Thats one of the advantages of low finishes vs your peers. Higher picks.

I just wouldn't expect 20-25 goals from Johnston year 1. If ya get that, big bonus. If he plays reg 3rd line Id be happy with that (if it were my team lol), top 6 big bonus. Too many young kids in the top 6 can hurt (its usually their play away from the puck and def play that needs to be nutured. Most coaches hate mistakes in those areas and shelter players.

In 2 years ya hope the 3 young Fs (Cullye, Johnston, Foudy) are the core and all among the leagues top 30 Fs, That's a solid start to a very good top 6.

Last edited:

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
We have a potentially strong young club up front with some vets mixed in. A couple more moves needed like Boka etc

Back end needs work and hopefully a top D from the import draft is coming.

In net....just need a major improvement from whoever it is but a stronger D will help that too.

Reactions: Teflon

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
We have a potentially strong young club up front with some vets mixed in. A couple more moves needed like Boka etc

Back end needs work and hopefully a top D from the import draft is coming.

In net....just need a major improvement from whoever it is but a stronger D will help that too.

Agreed

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Ideally, I'd like a 2002 D with some oomph. That said, here are some 01s and 02s...

01s:

- Moritz Seider - Germany - 6'4 207
- Ville Heinola - Finland - 5'11 181
- Annttoni Honka - Finland - 5'10 176
- Antti Tuomisto - Finland - 6'4 195
- Martin Hugo Has - Czech - 6'4 190
- David Turecek - Czech - 6'5 190
- Miks Tumanovs - Latvia - 6'4 180
- Yegor Martynov - Russia - 6'3 180

02s:

- Alexander Nikishin - Russia - 6' 180
- Shakir Mukhamadullin - Russia - 6'1 155

There are other D-men, but given we're 14th, I'd imagine the Spitfires won't go for someone who's not a top prospect and/or already selected.

I should add - the names above are not pure "oomph" guys, but a list of the better D-men available from Europe/Russia. I didn't include any Swedes because the Spitfires don't have a good history with Sweden (see: De La Rosa). They're better with Czechs, Russians, Germans, and Finns (all have come here).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad