Will the Panthers let the Leafs make the playoffs?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
The Leafs are a top16 team in the league, won't be having home ice advantage, and will likely be playing one of the two best teams in the league in the first round. What about that damages the credibility of the seeding system? Is that so much worse when they were 7th in the league last year, didn't have home ice, and played the 2nd best team in the league in the first round?

they are ranked 9th in the conference and the Rangers are in striking distance. I’d say it’s an issue.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
What's frustrating as a Leaf fan is that it's not a talent issue anymore like it was for so many years. As Dubas said, they are jekyll and hyde. One game they can come out and work really hard and look like a really good team. But they look like they just don't give a crap 75% of their games.

None of the team can get going at the same time. The offense is flowing and the team can't stop letting in goals. They tighten up defensively and give up a few goals a game and the scoring dries up. There is no pride in their games. The going gets tough and they just fold. But then sometimes the media and fans get on them and they come out and play a gritty, hard nosed game.

And then everyone is like "Wow, they can play like that. They are turning a corner". And they go on a 2-4 game win streak playing pretty good and hard and the hype builds up. It looks like the team that was sold to Leaf fans.

And then they seem satisfied that they "proved" they can play that way, and just go back to floating around most of the game trying to make highlight plays.

Only been a handful of Leafs who have played the right way most of the year. Matthews, Hyman, Muzzin, and Spezza. Nylander has mostly been good but has small stretches where he isn't playing as hard as he can, but every player does I think. Everyone else has been downright terrible most of the year.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
What's frustrating as a Leaf fan is that it's not a talent issue anymore like it was for so many years. As Dubas said, they are jekyll and hyde. One game they can come out and work really hard and look like a really good team. But they look like they just don't give a crap 75% of their games.

None of the team can get going at the same time. The offense is flowing and the team can't stop letting in goals. They tighten up defensively and give up a few goals a game and the scoring dries up. There is no pride in their games. The going gets tough and they just fold. But then sometimes the media and fans get on them and they come out and play a gritty, hard nosed game.

And then everyone is like "Wow, they can play like that. They are turning a corner". And they go on a 2-4 game win streak playing pretty good and hard and the hype builds up. It looks like the team that was sold to Leaf fans.

And then they seem satisfied that they "proved" they can play that way, and just go back to floating around most of the game trying to make highlight plays.

Only been a handful of Leafs who have played the right way most of the year. Matthews, Hyman, Muzzin, and Spezza. Nylander has mostly been good but has small stretches where he isn't playing as hard as he can, but every player does I think. Everyone else has been downright terrible most of the year.
this is what happens when your defense sucks.

sincerely,

a florida panthers fan.

Papa044

Aug 2, 2005
Miami, FL

this pretty much sums up the Panthers season

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

I’m reminded of the impact Berube had when he took over the Blues. He made the players accountable, and he made everything be about what was best for the team. I think his demeanor and history in the league demand a certain amount of respect. But I think these are the issues that Toronto is struggling with. Ironically, I’d have thought Babcock was the right type of guy to instill that culture.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
the leafs defense is so poor. It was futhur over hyped when Barrie was brought in...even Leafs media were pumping up Ceci when he first came saying he should be better and yet you have him still being overplayed.

The defense on the leafs including team defense is just poor

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
the leafs defense is so poor. It was futhur over hyped when Barrie was brought in...even Leafs media were pumping up Ceci when he first came saying he should be better and yet you have him still being overplayed.

The defense on the leafs including team defense is just poor
The Leafs were without Ceci,Muzzin and Rielly for long stretches this season. Injuries have absolutely killed this team. At one point we had Justin Holl playing on the top pairing.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Cover up? Florida having just average goaltending would have them in the playoffs right now.

This might technically be true -- the Panthers would have another few points -- since the All-Star Break the problem has not been goaltending, but an offense that disappeared, awful special teams, and putrid effort level from the so-called 'core' of the team. There's a reason Vincent Trocheck is no longer on the team, and it's not because he was hustling in the defensive zone, that's for sure.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I’m reminded of the impact Berube had when he took over the Blues. He made the players accountable, and he made everything be about what was best for the team. I think his demeanor and history in the league demand a certain amount of respect. But I think these are the issues that Toronto is struggling with. Ironically, I’d have thought Babcock was the right type of guy to instill that culture.

Yeah, if Babcock wasn't a sociopathic toolbag.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
The Leafs were without Ceci,Muzzin and Rielly for long stretches this season. Injuries have absolutely killed this team. At one point we had Justin Holl playing on the top pairing.
I know they do but even with their full defense their defense is just not that good especially when you have your forwards mostly focused on scoring

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
losing Ceci should be a plus.
You'd think that but when you're running two NHL dmen(Dermott and Barrie) out there with two rookies(Sandin and Liljegren), a career AHLer who just became an NHL regular in Holl and other AHL players like Marincin, suddenly Ceci is an upgrade. I don't love or hate Ceci but hes good enough to play in this league on the 3rd pairing. Missing your #1,2 and 6 for significant time hurts any team.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Leafs should be better now that Reilly is back, he's not just a good player he has good chemistry with their offensive forwards.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
Leafs always seem to win the big game when they need it this year which says alot about them, I still say the team to get to the SC in the east is going to be the winner of the Tampa Leafs first round series

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I guess this means there is absolutely no way the Bruins will beat the hottest team in the league missing both Krug and Carlo. ooooops.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad