Will the Panthers let the Leafs make the playoffs?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
The Leafs beat one of the hottest teams in the league, Tampa Bay, while missing Muzzin and Rielly. One or two wins against good teams isnt a good indicator of how important those guys are just like losing to a zamboni driver doesnt make the Leafs terrible. A mediocre blue line losing its top 2 dmen hurts. I'm not sure what's so hard to understand here. I'm not pretending that the Leafs are missing Pronger and Niedermayer and have the depth to sustain those losses for 2 months.
when exactly did the Leafs beat the Lightning without Muzzin and Rielly? your grasp of facts continues to amaze me.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
When D is your Achilles heel and 5/6 of your D men have a few hundred NHL games between them, surprisingly, it's an issue. Hard to imagine, I know.

Yup, that is the leafs. They have no depth. The defense is bad. The poor defense and goaltending is the result of roster construction. It’s not the result of bad luck or a fluke. Injuries happen to everyone. The leafs can’t deal with it because of the roster.

the Sabres fell apart when they lost two top six forwards because they have no depth and their forward core sucks.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
when exactly did the Leafs beat the Lightning without Muzzin and Rielly? your grasp of facts continues to amaze me.
Muzzin broke his hand during a game vs Tampa. So yes, the Leafs beat Tampa without Muzzin and Rielly. That's a fact. February 25 would be the date, to be exact. Since you're so into "facts".

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
The Leafs beat one of the hottest teams in the league, Tampa Bay, while missing Muzzin and Rielly. One or two wins against good teams isnt a good indicator of how important those guys are just like losing to a zamboni driver doesnt make the Leafs terrible. A mediocre blue line losing its top 2 dmen hurts. I'm not sure what's so hard to understand here. I'm not pretending that the Leafs are missing Pronger and Niedermayer and have the depth to sustain those losses for 2 months.

Detroit beat that same Tampa team a couple days ago. Tampa has been struggling lately as they’ve basically guaranteed 1st goes to Boston.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Yup, that is the leafs. They have no depth. The defense is bad. The poor defense and goaltending is the result of roster construction. It’s not the result of bad luck or a fluke. Injuries happen to everyone. The leafs can’t deal with it because of the roster.

the Sabres fell apart when they lost two top six forwards because they have no depth and their forward core sucks.
Except the leafs didn’t ‘fall apart’ they struggled for sure but are still in a playoff spot. They also have an entire third line of 40 point forwards.

They have 2 powerplay d men Barrie and rielly, and Muzzin who is a good #3. Holl Dermott and Ceci are all depth d.

andersen having a down year for sure, and the backup goalie position seems to be in a good spot for the next 2 years. Factor in if they hadve addressed the backup earlier and had a .500 record with the backup playing, they’d be well clear of a playoff spot.

other than having eichel and dahlin as top picks, there really isn’t much else to compare buffalo and Toronto. Toronto hit on a number of bonafide players as top picks. Rielly, Kadri, nylander, marner etc. The leafs have 2 first lines, does buffalo? Bad comprison

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Detroit beat that same Tampa team a couple days ago. Tampa has been struggling lately as they’ve basically guaranteed 1st goes to Boston.
They were hot up until recently, which wasnt even the point. He continues to say the Bruins beat a team who was winning while the Bruins were missing key defenders. My point was the Leafs were missing Rielly for 8 weeks, Muzzin for nearly half the year with two separate broken bones, Ceci for a while etc. But because the Bruins managed to win one game its somehow comparable.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
Muzzin broke his hand during a game vs Tampa. So yes, the Leafs beat Tampa without Muzzin and Rielly. That's a fact. February 25 would be the date, to be exact. Since you're so into "facts".
as a matter of fact, I do enjoy having facts on my side of an argument. so I will now assume you clearly didnt mean last nights game as Rielly played and had to search and go back to Feb 25 to cover your error by saying the leafs won without those two. ok so I will give you a partial point as in that game Muzzin only scored a goal and played about 19 minutes so I guess your 'right'in that he had no role on helping the leafs win that game and your initial statement is correct. Gold Jerry gold. keep it up.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Except the leafs didn’t ‘fall apart’ they struggled for sure but are still in a playoff spot. They also have an entire third line of 40 point forwards.

They have 2 powerplay d men Barrie and rielly, and Muzzin who is a good #3. Holl Dermott and Ceci are all depth d.

andersen having a down year for sure, and the backup goalie position seems to be in a good spot for the next 2 years. Factor in if they hadve addressed the backup earlier and had a .500 record with the backup playing, they’d be well clear of a playoff spot.

other than having eichel and dahlin as top picks, there really isn’t much else to compare buffalo and Toronto. Toronto hit on a number of bonafide players as top picks. Rielly, Kadri, nylander, marner etc. The leafs have 2 first lines, does buffalo? Bad comprison

I didn’t compare the teams, at all. I used buffalo as an example of roster construction not being able to deal with injuries. The leafs have a similar issue. But no one compared the actual teams.

and yes, the leafs have an amazing forward core and depth. And it speaks volumes they can’t win anything the past few years and are struggling to make the playoffs. It’s how the team is built.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
They were hot up until recently, which wasnt even the point. He continues to say the Bruins beat a team who was winning while the Bruins were missing key defenders. My point was the Leafs were missing Rielly for 8 weeks, Muzzin for nearly half the year with two separate broken bones, Ceci for a while etc. But because the Bruins managed to win one game its somehow comparable.

Injuries really aren’t much of an excuse for why the Leafs are where they are.

Did you see the Bruins injury list last season:
Bergeron- 17 games
Pastrnak- 16 games
McAvoy- 28 games
Krug - 18 games
DeBrusk- 14 games
Chara - 20 games
Carlo - 10 games

and that’s just their key players. If you want me to add depth players like you did with Ceci then it gets even more hilarious.

Most of these injuries all happened at the same time and at one point they were playing without 5 of their top 7D and down to like #12 on the depth chart on D.

Yet they finished 3rd in the league.

Toronto is simply a very poorly built team.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
They’re a team with poor structure, not poorly built. If they played a style similar to Boston, how would they do? How would Boston do in a run and gun style?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
as a matter of fact, I do enjoy having facts on my side of an argument. so I will now assume you clearly didnt mean last nights game as Rielly played and had to search and go back to Feb 25 to cover your error by saying the leafs won without those two. ok so I will give you a partial point as in that game Muzzin only scored a goal and played about 19 minutes so I guess your 'right'in that he had no role on helping the leafs win that game and your initial statement is correct. Gold Jerry gold. keep it up.
I'm glad that you can admit you were wrong. Because you are. And no, there was no error on my part because, ya know, I follow the team. But thanks for coming out kid, try again next year, maybe you'll have some facts on your side. Maybe I'll give you partial points and you can hold the clipboard while the other kids go up to bat.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I didn’t compare the teams, at all. I used buffalo as an example of roster construction not being able to deal with injuries. The leafs have a similar issue. But no one compared the actual teams.

and yes, the leafs have an amazing forward core and depth. And it speaks volumes they can’t win anything the past few years and are struggling to make the playoffs. It’s how the team is built.
Using them as an example is comparing sister. What does taking a top 3 team to game 7 twice and the presidents cup winning team Washington to game 6 the year before mean?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
They’re a team with poor structure, not poorly built. If they played a style similar to Boston, how would they do? How would Boston do in a run and gun style?

They took Boston to game 7 the last two years trying to play their style. They should not have. Kadri going nuclear in both series leading to suspensions probably sunk them in at least one of the series.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
I'm glad that you can admit you were wrong. Because you are. And no, there was no error on my part because, ya know, I follow the team. But thanks for coming out kid, try again next year, maybe you'll have some facts on your side. Maybe I'll give you partial points and you can hold the clipboard while the other kids go up to bat.
the sad part of this is that you really dont see how silly you sound. btw reverting to calling a 56 year old man a kid and attempting to insult me with the weak analogies further shows your inability to engage in discussion or admit when you are wrong. it's kind of sad. I will not comment any further and let you get the last word in as I will assume based on this conversation this is something you always need to do. have a pleasant day.

edit. btw the on Feb 25 beat the lightning who lost their third game on a row ending in a 4 game losing streak. not sure again how your statement of the lightning being a hot team is factual but I'm sure you will move the posts and come up with something

The90

Feb 27, 2017
They took Boston to game 7 the last two years trying to play their style. They should not have. Kadri going nuclear in both series leading to suspensions probably sunk them in at least one of the series.
Yeah. I always thought Kadri would be what would take us over them. Sucks we never got to find out lol miss him in the 3c spot

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

Bergeron- 17 games
Pastrnak- 16 games
McAvoy- 28 games
Krug - 18 games
DeBrusk- 14 games
Chara - 20 games
Carlo - 10 games

and that’s just their key players. If you want me to add depth players like you did with Ceci then it gets even more hilarious.

Most of these injuries all happened at the same time and at one point they were playing without 5 of their top 7D and down to like #12 on the depth chart on D.

It is an excuse for the Leafs. We both know the Bruins are much deeper on the blue line. Losing Muzzin,Rielly and Ceci would basically like replacing the entire Bruins top 6. Barrie is crap, Dermott is meh and Holl is a journey men AHLer.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
It is an excuse for the Leafs. We both know the Bruins are much deeper on the blue line. Losing Muzzin,Rielly and Ceci would basically like replacing the entire Bruins top 6. Barrie is crap, Dermott is meh and Holl is a journey men AHLer.

So the Leafs are a poorly built team? Got it.

FYI: basically the entire bruins top 6 WAS out last season and they did just fine.

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta

Bergeron- 17 games
Pastrnak- 16 games
McAvoy- 28 games
Krug - 18 games
DeBrusk- 14 games
Chara - 20 games
Carlo - 10 games

The only thing poorly built here, is your argument.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I feel like the Leafs embarass themselves enough and have enough problems that there is more than enough to pick from if you want ammo. But some people choose to try and take things to the extremes.

Reading the past few pages are people talking about the Leafs or the Wings? Like, god damn have the Leafs been straight up terrible at times this year. But, they have also been pretty dominate at other times.

The problem with the Leafs is not that the team is garbage. It's that the team has no consistency.

I would not be shocked at all for this Leafs team to get into the playoffs and absolutely destroy a team in one round, and then get destroyed in the next. Or hell, even game to game.

And the main thing people point to is the sense of urgency. It's not even a systems issue. It's just urgency. Leafs you know in the first 5 min how the game will go. Either they have a pace to their puck movement, or it looks like they just woke up and are trying to warm up in practice.

Not really an inbetween.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad