Will Mitch Marner become star?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Is Marner going to be a star

• Yes

• No

• Already is

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
So he wasn't playing well defensively because he had, maybe mono, last spring?

I think it was a combination of Bozak not playing well, then getting sick, and Marner not having his head on straight and van Riemsdyk putting more emphasis on playing defensively.

van Riemsdyk has been scoring throughout the season, and now Bozak's points are respectable and van Riemsdyk on pace for a career year in goals. That his linemates haven't been scoring until recently has an obvious impact on everyone's assists.

Again, it is too soon to proclaim him a star, but if he can find a consistent level of play he certainly looks to be on his way.

JVR had a better start to the season than he has been doing for the last 15 or so games.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Yes, he's flying like he did last season. That triple spinorama play leading to the Bozak goal vs. Carolina was nuts. He's found his game.

He's just gotta wheel it out there and let his creativity flow. So much fun to watch he is.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Looks like he's at his best when he cuts out the fancy fluffy plays and is flying fearlessly at the net.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
This kid is some thing else, unfortunately we do not have the line mates to really benefit from his passing abilities and the speed unless he is moved to either Matthews or Nylander's line

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's playing with our top goalscorer.
In general, I think Marner needs someone next to him who is good at finding soft spots and playing close to the net. For the Leafs, he needs to play with one of JVR or Matthews. Kadri could work, but I don't think he's as good as the other 2.

The frustrating player is Bozak. I don't really see how he compliments the line. He's there, and last year did an adequate job. But, he's not great at winning pucks (which is an issue for Marner and JVR) and doesn't have a great shot from distance. He makes sense when you look at how the rest of the lines are constructed. I just wonder how they would do with either Matthews or Kadri with them. I don't think Nylander compliments that line either as both Marner and Willy like to do similar things with the puck, or atleast like to be puck dominant. Matthews can switch that on and off a bit better and can play the quick give and go's better.

Reactions: Barilko14

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
JVR is a goal scorer......real talent around the net......but he doesn'r get the puck himself...
Bozak has been reliable lately but really doesn't have much impact on his own...average at everything..

It all depends on what marner does.....the line is good when Marner is good.
If Marner isn't playing well the line does nothing much at all...

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
JVR is a goal scorer......real talent around the net......but he doesn'r get the puck himself...
Bozak has been reliable lately but really doesn't have much impact on his own...average at everything..

It all depends on what marner does.....the line is good when Marner is good.
If Marner isn't playing well the line does nothing much at all...
Yep, and it was a bit unfair to expect him to "drive the line" from the wing...luckily he is good enough to do it. JVR is a finisher, Bozak an uneven performer...

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
I know that but he would do even better playing with Matthews - you can't argue that

There is not a player in the league who wouldn't do better playing with Matthews, so that's not a strong argument. 40 goals as a teenage rookie is only scratching the surface of what he can do. There isn't a single aspect of this game he isn't well above average at.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He's playing with our top goalscorer.
Marner's chemistry with JVR is underrated. I know they have their moments defensively but Marner leads the team in assists and JVR has 16 goals playing alongside him, and also had a career year playing with him last year.

Reactions: johnny_rudeboy

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
If Mitch reaches 60 points in his first 2 seasons, it'll be impressive. Most of you are impressed if Sebastian Aho can be 1 point ahead of Marner.

Reactions: Menzinger

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
5-vs-5 Mitch Marner assisted for

PlayerPositionTotal AssistsFirst AssistsSecond Assists
Auston MatthewsC220
James van RiemsdykL110
Matt MartinL101
Morgan RiellyD101
Patrick MarleauC202
Tyler BozakC633
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
PP Mitch Marner assisted for
James van RiemsdykL413
Nazem KadriC101
Tyler BozakC101
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
all situations Mitch Marner assisted for
Auston MatthewsC220
James van RiemsdykL633
Matt MartinL101
Morgan RiellyD101
Nazem KadriC101
Patrick MarleauC303
Tyler BozakC734
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
5-vs-5 Mitch Marner assisted for

Auston MatthewsC220
James van RiemsdykL110
Matt MartinL101
Morgan RiellyD101
Patrick MarleauC202
Tyler BozakC633
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
PP Mitch Marner assisted for
James van RiemsdykL413
Nazem KadriC101
Tyler BozakC101
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
all situations Mitch Marner assisted for
Auston MatthewsC220
James van RiemsdykL633
Matt MartinL101
Morgan RiellyD101
Nazem KadriC101
Patrick MarleauC303
Tyler BozakC734
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

It would be more helpful when you add the # of games played with all these players. Marner has played most games with JVR and Bozak and his assists total is pretty reflective of that

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Even Matthews would do better with Marner instead of playing with Brown and Hyman
please someone free us from this hyman-matthews fiasco. matthews needs someone to thread him the puck, seems like its either marner or nylander.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
It would be more helpful when you add the # of games played with all these players. Marner has played most games with JVR and Bozak and his assists total is pretty reflective of that

I put those up to help inform you guys, I keep myself up to date! if you ask nicely i would post up the minutes lol

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Other Teammates On Ice 5-vs-5

PlayerPositionTotal PointsGoalsTotal AssistsFirst AssistsSecond Assists
Andreas BorgmanD61523
Connor CarrickD40413
James van RiemsdykL41312
Nikita ZaitsevD30312
Jake GardinerD20211
Dominic MooreC10101
Morgan RiellyD10110