Will Mitch Marner become star?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Is Marner going to be a star

• Yes

• No

• Already is

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Was it the mono still affecting him, then? Because I don't really believe in the "he just flipped a switch" cliche.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Was it the mono still affecting him, then? Because I don't really believe in the "he just flipped a switch" cliche.

I'm no expert but I doubt that the after-effects of mono disappear overnight, I'd think it's more of a gradual process. It does appear like a switch was flipped but who the hell knows. If it was a flipped switch then I don't think Marner flipped it, my guess would be that it just sort of flipped on it's own for no apparent reason.

That makes sense right? :laugh:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

So he wasn't playing well defensively because he had, maybe mono, last spring?

I think it was a combination of Bozak not playing well, then getting sick, and Marner not having his head on straight and van Riemsdyk putting more emphasis on playing defensively.

van Riemsdyk has been scoring throughout the season, and now Bozak's points are respectable and van Riemsdyk on pace for a career year in goals. That his linemates haven't been scoring until recently has an obvious impact on everyone's assists.

Again, it is too soon to proclaim him a star, but if he can find a consistent level of play he certainly looks to be on his way.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Marner has carried this team of late.

Him and Nylanders early season struggles and lack of goals will probably help the leafs in the long run.
big years by either could have put them somewhere between pastrnak (6.67) and draisaitl (8.5)
now it looks like they will get close to Ehlers money (6.0). The agents can probably argue the cap going up 3-7 million, but the leafs could argue Ehlers having 25g/64pts to get his payday.

Marners pace: 9g/57pts
Nylander pace: 14g/52pts

Would either of these guys really turn down a 8year/50 million offer (6.25 per) ?

Matthews injury has probably saved the leafs some cash as well. He had a real solid shot of being a 40/40 guy this year.
If the leafs offered him 10.5mil x 8 years would he really say no to being the 2nd highest paid player in NHL history?
the kid seems pretty down to earth, and probably realizes he needs to take a slightly smaller piece of the pie to help the team build a true contender

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Good skater and hands.

Doesn't have much physical presence (yet?)

Doesn't shoot enough - prefers pass first option.

His style of playing looks more like organized shinny rather than a Babcock like system.

Very young.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Good skater and hands.

His style of playing looks more like organized shinny rather than a Babcock like system.

Very young.

Well, compared to pre-cap era this is more like shinny than old school, no holds barred hockey.

Selling the skilled game has been the strategy for years, for one thing, you want your entertainers to be able to lace them up game after game, not have them out injured or broken.

Really, though this has been building, Marner didn't just 2 games ago flick a switch, it has been coming with that entire line, and there is such a small margin between doing it and just coming up short.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
You accused me of criticizing Marner skating before he made the NHL. Which I never did.

You still do not get it...it is a set play on the PP.

I love Marner as I called him a franchise player after we drafted him before he played a game in the NHL while he was still a Knight. I also do not think he is real bad defensively as he simply is not. He is a victim of a bad line who physically get out played in the D zone and Marner tries to do to much.

Now watch the games while we are in the PP and you will see that it is a set play that happens every time..., is that to hard to understand?

Nope i said i think!!!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Nobody said he was a flash in the pan. Perhaps a couple, most people have attributed his performances correctly. Playing scared, lacking confidence, lacking size and shot.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Good skater and hands.

Very young.

Thats what elite prospects look like early in their development. Grinders look very old right!

Good thing for print...... you'd have a hard time speaking that with your foot in your mouth.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I'm no expert but I doubt that the after-effects of mono disappear overnight, I'd think it's more of a gradual process. It does appear like a switch was flipped but who the hell knows. If it was a flipped switch then I don't think Marner flipped it, my guess would be that it just sort of flipped on it's own for no apparent reason.

That makes sense right? :laugh:

Imagine being a 20 year old. Awkward, insecure and trying to find your way in life,then imagine being that 20 year old and playing on the biggest stage , in the biggest sport in your home country , in the biggest city, in front of the biggest crowd, for a HOF GM, President and future HOF coach.

Imagine your coping skills at that age , then multiply that stress by 20 and you have Mitch's situation.

That flick of the switch you talk about, is confidence, the belief that if you do what you do the way you do it , you will be successful.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
lol Obviously he's going to say that after the fact. He's not going to come out and be like "it was super close, i hope we made the right pick". It was reported that there was heavy debate prior to the draft on whether to draft a defenceman or a forward. Babcock wanted the leafs to take a dman.

Doubt it. This was Hunter talking about a Jr. player that he already knew. It probably was a no-brainer. Provorov looks like a good player, but it would have been a toss-up at that point, but the personal relationship likely solidified it.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
His surge lately has more to do with his skating. He's attacking the opposition in a way he hasn't done for a while. When that happens, opportunities open up.

It’s true, he’s skating pucks to dangerous areas with a confidence and authority. He’s also choosing to shoot the puck instead of trying to make the fancy play after getting to the dangerous arra

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Nobody said he was a flash in the pan. Perhaps a couple, most people have attributed his performances correctly. Playing scared, lacking confidence, lacking size and shot.
Lol you have not been a fan at all..

Playing scared ....not a hope.
Playing scared ...never. That has to be the worse take.

As for you reading your takes regarding Marner has always been the same. You want him to be bad and Nylander good. You post so much silly stuff about Marner always have. He needed two years in the AHL, etc.

You posts about Marner are like watching a fish out of water flipping and flipping around. As you want to be seen as a fan of his but you really are not and it is easy to see.

Lots of posts insinuated that his Rookie season was a aberration so yes a flash in the pan. Then you say “ perhaps a couple “ well you just said no one. There have been more than a few in this thread alone.

Mitch Marner is a star and will one day lead the NHL in assists and perhaps scoring. He is a very gifted player who has been compared to hot garbage in this thread.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Imagine being a 20 year old. Awkward, insecure and trying to find your way in life,then imagine being that 20 year old and playing on the biggest stage , in the biggest sport in your home country , in the biggest city, in front of the biggest crowd, for a HOF GM, President and future HOF coach.

Imagine your coping skills at that age , then multiply that stress by 20 and you have Mitch's situation.
While getting over Mono.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Marner did look like he was playing scared and tentative to start the season

I won't attribute it only to Mono, but mono's effects don't just go away like that. As someone who has a chronic illness who plays soccer, hockey and basketball, when I first got sick, I was out the whole year unable to work out or play any sport.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Lol you have not been a fan at all..

Playing scared ....not a hope.

Playing scared ...never. That has to be the worse take.

As for you reading your takes regarding Marner has always been the same. You want him to be bad and Nylander good. You post so much silly stuff about Marner always have. He needed two years in the AHL, etc.

You posts about Marner are like watching a fish out of water flipping and flipping around. As you want to be seen as a fan of his but you really are not and it is easy to see.

Lots of posts insinuated that his Rookie season was a aberration so yes a flash in the pan. Then you say “ perhaps a couple “ well you just said no one. There have been more than a few in this thread alone.

Mitch Marner is a star and will one day lead the NHL in assists and perhaps scoring. He is a very gifted player who has been compared to hot garbage in this thread.

I have actually been the one to say that he has more potential than Nylander and the potential to reach Matthews with size and a shot. I don't know why you constantly create a false dichotomy to support some of your oft convoluted OP(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad