Will Mitch Marner become star?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Is Marner going to be a star

• Yes

• No

• Already is

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I've seen you use your own personal position as an argument several times but it's actually a logical fallacy. Argue your point but don't point to whatever position you occupy in a hockey organization. It's even less useful given that nobody check the validity if you are actually a coach or whatever it is you do.
My hockey knowledge was being questioned. So if you are going to interject your opinion on here at least at bare minimum understand what and why something has been posted and I do not as a rule posting anything about my experience in hockey all that I have said is to check my profile it tells you all you need to know.

I also sent my name and position into the person you were to send such info back in the day to be vetted and it was accepted as I never received nothing back to stop me from posting about a certain subject.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I have no issues with people posting criticism about a player. We have all have our opinions and have a right to express them as we see fit. I am not a big fan of Bozak this year but I am able to admit that he had a good game yesterday. Admitting this does not negate my previous criticism of his play. The difference between your criticism and mine is that I don't make excuses like "it wasn't against an elite team" or "the goalie played bad" or "he needs to score against LA/St.Louis/San Jose". That is where you come across as being against a particular player when you cannot even admit that they had a good game and leave it at that.
Exactly why people respond to him in the manner that they do.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It really is amazing how much he created in 13 minutes of ice time. Imagine 21 minutes.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Gonna be one of the best playmakers in the league for years to come. With the talent on this team, I see multiple 50 assist seasons for him here.

Would like to see more goals out of him (especially this season), but I think around 25 is what we'll get in his best year.

Nah. Have him play with Matthews and I see some 30-70 seasons tbh. When he's on his game, he puts pucks on a platter.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Nah. Have him play with Matthews and I see some 30-70 seasons tbh. When he's on his game, he puts pucks on a platter.
I can see them together starting the new year. It would be magic as Mathews would get the puck with a little time a space to take that shot of his and as well Marner would get more shot opportunities as well.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I can see them together starting the new year. It would be magic as Mathews would get the puck with a little time a space to take that shot of his and as well Marner would get more shot opportunities as well.

Yeah. Especially if Marner continues this form. Matthews is 14 points back of McDavid. Put him with a guy who can feed off him and a few multi point games later, he can close the gap.

Reactions: diceman934

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Goals aren't exclusively scored with a slick shot, either, and Matthews has spent his short career thus far setting up his wingers for crazy amounts of tap-in opportunities in high-danger scoring areas - A confident Marner would absolutely feast on those chances and could definitely rack up his fair share of goals.

These guys are practically destined to play together - (honestly, if anybody ever gets a chance to watch them during the pre-game warm-ups, they almost always spend a few minutes just passing the puck back and forth through the 20 other guys skating around in their zone - it's magical) - and once they become a fixture, it's going to be a real, real treat to witness.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It really is amazing how much he created in 13 minutes of ice time. Imagine 21 minutes.

Ooh now there's a happy thought!

Yeah I think those two are made for each other, just seems like a perfect fit. And I'm probably in the minority here but I think Hyman would round out that line rather nicely. A playmaker, a sniper and a corner-man, kind of like my favourite line off all-time, Bossy/Trottier/Gillies. :)

Reactions: diceman934

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I love Hyman's grit. Don't get me wrong. But any skill line with him on it will always run in to the same problems. Teams aren't afraid of his lack of skill, so they double up on the other two. Now, Matthews/Nylander or Matthews/Marner are definitely skilled enough to overcome it a good majority of the time, but it'll become apparent that they'll be smothered in some games. Look back to when they were all on a line (Matthews and Marner) with Marleau after a PP. In like 15 seconds, they had 2 HD scoring chances out of nothing. You have great speed and skill on a line and it forces the other team to respect everyone on that line. Knowing Marleau can skate and is a good finisher inherently opens up space for the other two, and Marleau himself would laugh at the chance to score tap-ins courtesy of the other two.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

Yeah I think those two are made for each other, just seems like a perfect fit. And I'm probably in the minority here but I think Hyman would round out that line rather nicely. A playmaker, a sniper and a corner-man, kind of like my favourite line off all-time, Bossy/Trottier/Gillies. :)
Maybe in the minority, but certainly not alone - I'm a fan of Hyman, and will actually surprised if he doesn't put up a couple 50+-point seasons in his career once he fully develops. We are so ****ing spoiled with the 'Big 3', it's blinded some people with regards to the normal development paths of young NHLers experiencing the grind for the first time. Hyman's on pace for 42 points already this season, with no PP time, and gets crapped on by some folks around here, it's crazy to me.
I'd like a guy like Korshkov to really pan out and potentially end up on Matthews' wing, but if Hyman continues his upward trajectory, which I believe he can and will, I wouldn't be upset about that at all.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Hyman would be a perfect fit with Matthews and Marner. Brown would be good too.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Oh really!!!!!! I did not even vote. He is already a star/ elite prospect. 2 or three years from now this team will be deadly with Wlly,mitch and Matthews that much more expierenced.

Who cares about them, they're just scared.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Smart move, diceman is for sure one of the biggest Marner boosters in these parts and he's the first one to point it out when prospects aren't good skaters.

Meh, what's he supposed to do when he's accused of not understanding gap control or whatever else? Write an essay? Say "yes I do"? Of course no one is checking the validity, read his posts and make up your own mind the same way you do for anyone else.

I didn't accuse him of nothing dude. He seems to think a set play os not defensive positioning.

If defensive play is not a set way of playing tell me what it is then. He tried to minimize Marners defensive timing and positioning on the goal set up because it was somehow irrelevant becausr it was a power play. WTF?????

not a big deal anyway!

Last edited:

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
In other news, Dylan Strome just got sent down again. Poor guy, can't even crack a bad Coyotes line-up; he'll be lucky to be a good 3rd line centre in the NHL the way he is projecting. Marner could be a superstar...has all the right tools...the sky is limit for him.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
In other news, Dylan Strome just got sent down again. Poor guy, can't even crack a bad Coyotes line-up; he'll be lucky to be a good 3rd line centre in the NHL the way he is projecting. Marner could be a superstar...has all the right tools...the sky is limit for him.
Man I was praying we didn't end up with Strome, his slow feet always scared me for a top pick. Starting to bust.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010

Damn, that sucks for Strome. Still the same concerns according to the Yotes beat reporter...foot speed, reacting to the speed of the game, etc. Hopefully he can carve out some kind of career for himself beyond AHL superstar.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I've been a Leafs fan longer than most in here so I've seen a lot of hockey. To say that I'm biased about Marner is ridiculous.

I love when people say this on a hockey forum, how does one correlate with the other?

You can still be the most biased person in the entire world after you've tunnel visioned for decades watching and complaining about hockey. I personally think in some cases, you can be a heck of a lot more biased than some people who have been only watching for a couple of years. No preconceived notion of the players or the teams reputation holding them back.

I hope us mere mortals can grasp your logic eventually but that'll never happen unless we get a time machine I suppose.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I love when people say this on a hockey forum, how does one correlate with the other?

You can still be the most biased person in the entire world after you've tunnel visioned for decades watching and complaining about hockey. I personally think in some cases, you can be a heck of a lot more biased than some people who have been only watching for a couple of years. No preconceived notion of the players or the teams reputation holding them back.

I hope us mere mortals can grasp your logic eventually but that'll never happen unless we get a time machine I suppose.

I have watched the leafs longer than many on here have been alive too. The comparable Marner would get for all time leafs would ne Gilmour.

Gilmour was more tenacious and had a chip on his shoulders than Mitch and was more poised and confident. He was a veteran when he got to the leafs.

Marner will be every bit as good as Gilmour when he owns his game with expierence and consistency every night.

He is a better skater but not nhl shifty enough yet. Marner will be a leader as he grows his game.

The kid is so so far away from complete. These complainers miss that fact.

I though everyone knew players take four or five years to come onto their ownnin the nhl. Thats every player!

Then stars that have played a decade or even longer adjust their game when they are slowing down. It is a constant fight for career survival in that league.

Mitch needs to be complete instantly by some of these ....... anyway!

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Holy crap, what a night. In case there was any doubt, Mitchy showed tonight and last that he has the talent to take over games and be one of the truly elite forwards in the league. Consistency will come with experience. Strength will come with time. But he has all the talent in the world.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He looked amazing tonight, hopefully he can stay like this. This is what he was like at points last year when and teams started gameplanning to stop this line, which opened up things for Matthews and Kadri's lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad