Will Mitch Marner become star?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Is Marner going to be a star

• Yes

• No

• Already is

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
His injury slowed him right down and apparently its taken him until now to get himself back.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
He's back, no doubt about it. The Barzal worshippers on the main board will eat their words soon enough.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
He really needs a better C. Perferably a C that isnt just focused on giving him the puck. Put him with a centre that knows how to carry the puck, because right now Marner has to bring the puck up at all times. Marner and JVR are carrying that line.

Reactions: TMLS

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
He really needs a better C. Perferably a C that isnt just focused on giving him the puck. Put him with a centre that knows how to carry the puck, because right now Marner has to bring the puck up at all times. Marner and JVR are carrying that line.
huh ... :facepalm:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Doesn't seem to be held back by his current center.

Looks like they're getting back to where they were last year before Marner got sick, and now with a healthy line-up they're looking good.

Usually there is one best player on a line and right now Marner looks like he's the best player on that line.

Best players should be Matthews, Nylander and Marner, so no complaints from me.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Marner rolling again is pivotal for the team's success this season. If he's going and Matthews comes back, they'll start to look like the Leafs from last year.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Doesn't seem to be held back by his current center.

Looks like their getting back to where they were last year before Marner got sick, and now with a healthy line-up they're looking good.

Usually there is one best player on a line and right now Marner looks like he's the best player on that line.

Best players should be Matthews, Nylander and Marner, so no complaints from me.

I agree

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
What happened to Marner?

He's actually shooting the puck!

He can actually score!

There was this one play in Columbus, where he was able to cruise into the slot from the side, then waited and waited. He wasn't looking for the pass, he wanted that opening to shoot. He got that chance, but did not score. At least it was an attempt on the net, the goalie had to make a save.

As long as he keeps this up, it will be good. Shoot the puck.

:scared:

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Marner rolling again is pivotal for the team's success this season. If he's going and Matthews comes back, they'll start to look like the Leafs from last year.
The better Marner plays, the less likely JVR will be back.

Marner and Levio will out score JVR next season, and Lou Lamoriello will save on salary too.

That's Lou for ya.

:propeller

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Marner is amazing. All though he does get held back by his centre, its covered up because Marner is that good. He still needs a centre that can better grow his defensive game, and not just short 2 feet passes, or faceoff%, when he gets that centre(Kadri/Matthews) Marner will be even better. Until then, Marner can continue covering for his C and carry the line.

Reactions: hullsy47

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
really encouraging to seem him dominate the past couple games. whens he at his best he just gets to the middle of slot much more often thats where hes gonna score alot more goals. Also shooting off the rush like he did tonight and in Carolina it seems like he wouldve taken those pucks behind the net earlier in the season or forced a pass. just looks good out there should take over the Leafs points lead

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
If this becomes the norm for him then look out once Matthews gets back healthy too. He scored one of the goals of the year tonight then nearly repeated it a minute later.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I didn't accuse him of nothing dude. He seems to think a set play os not defensive positioning.

If defensive play is not a set way of playing tell me what it is then. He tried to minimize Marners defensive timing and positioning on the goal set up because it was somehow irrelevant becausr it was a power play. WTF?????

not a big deal anyway!
You accused me of criticizing Marner skating before he made the NHL. Which I never did.

You still do not get it...it is a set play on the PP.

I love Marner as I called him a franchise player after we drafted him before he played a game in the NHL while he was still a Knight. I also do not think he is real bad defensively as he simply is not. He is a victim of a bad line who physically get out played in the D zone and Marner tries to do to much.

Now watch the games while we are in the PP and you will see that it is a set play that happens every time..., is that to hard to understand?

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Last 2 games Marner has looked incredibly dynamic and creative. Seems like folks were losing faith in him for a bit but hopefully he's helped restore some of it. You don't need to be a hockey genius to see his insane upside, there's a reason he was the leading rookie scorer last year before he got hurt.

Reactions: TMLS

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Last 2 games Marner has looked incredibly dynamic and creative. Seems like folks were losing faith in him for a bit but hopefully he's helped restore some of it. You don't need to be a hockey genius to see his insane upside, there's a reason he was the leading rookie scorer last year before he got hurt.

I mean, for all the slack the rest of the 2015 draft class gets, Marner was what, 0.50 ppt behind McDavid in their draft years?

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
This shouldn't be overly surprising. Mono takes A WHILE to get over fully and his xGF has shot up to something like 63 percent now in recent weeks. Could be a good 10-15 games where he goes above PPG. We shall see.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
He's back, no doubt about it. The Barzal worshippers on the main board will eat their words soon enough.
I think his whole line is playing better ,I wonder if marleau instead of bozie would be a line
Marner is amazing. All though he does get held back by his centre, its covered up because Marner is that good. He still needs a centre that can better grow his defensive game, and not just short 2 feet passes, or faceoff%, when he gets that centre(Kadri/Matthews) Marner will be even better. Until then, Marner can continue covering for his C and carry the line.
he carried both those guys last year ,now I think he realizes he flat out belongs or is surpassing them .
good for the kid be more selfish ,I hope he scores 25 more and 0 assist lol

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I didn't accuse him of nothing dude. He seems to think a set play os not defensive positioning.

If defensive play is not a set way of playing tell me what it is then. He tried to minimize Marners defensive timing and positioning on the goal set up because it was somehow irrelevant becausr it was a power play. WTF?????

not a big deal anyway!

Sorry but I have to agree with diceman on this one. That goal had nothing to do with defensive positioning, we were in our own zone but we had the puck and were on a PP so defensive positioning doesn't even enter into it. This was our standard breakout play that we see almost every time we recover the puck in our end on a PP.

Reactions: diceman934

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think his whole line is playing better ,I wonder if marleau instead of bozie would be a line

he carried both those guys last year ,now I think he realizes he flat out belongs or is surpassing them .
good for the kid be more selfish ,I hope he scores 25 more and 0 assist lol

Marner figured out his C sucks and that he has to do it himself again. He doesn't play scared the past few games and so he can be himself. Thank goodness he snapped out of that phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad