Will Leafs Pursue Stamkos? Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Make a top 6 in the near future

Marner - Stamkos - Laine
JVR - Nylander - xxx

with Leivo, Leipsic, Kapanen, Gauthier, Brown, Holland and co holding up the rest of the roster.

Defense:

Rielly - Phanuef
xxxxxx - Zaitsev
Dermott? - xxxx

If all meet their potential we could have a good team. Keep rotating out the bottom pairing D and forwards and invest the money in the top 6 and top 4 just like Chicago did.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Marner - Stamkos - Laine
JVR - Nylander - xxx

with Leivo, Leipsic, Kapanen, Gauthier, Brown and co holding up the rest of the roster.

Defense:

Rielly - Phanuef
xxxxxx - Zaitsev
Dermott? - xxxx

If all meet their potential we could have a good team. Keep rotating out the bottom pairing D and forwards and invest the money in the top 6 and top 4 just like Chicago did.

Long term you're screwed if the plan is to have Phaneuf on the top pairing.

I'd rather have Matthews-Marner as a duo on the top line, with Nylander holding up 2C, and if you can, move heaven and earth to get the Pittsburgh pick up to like 7-9 range to grab Sergachev.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Matthews, Nylander, Stamkos and Marner plus JVR and Kadri for a top six would be a pretty compelling top six. Add a couple of other prospects coming up like Timashov, Brown, Soshnikov Kapanen, Dzierkals, Bracco, Johnson, Leivo and that's an interesting top nine. After this draft, focus on drafting defensemen, and convert a forward prospect or two into more defensemen.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Marner - Stamkos - Laine
JVR - Nylander - xxx

with Leivo, Leipsic, Kapanen, Gauthier, Brown and co holding up the rest of the roster.

Defense:

Rielly - Phanuef
xxxxxx - Zaitsev
Dermott? - xxxx

I think that if Stamkos comes, Phaneuf goes. Stamkos will be the new captain. Besides, having 18 mil roughly tied up in those 2 players is not smart.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I think that if Stamkos comes, Phaneuf goes. Stamkos will be the new captain. Besides, having 18 mil roughly tied up in those 2 players is not smart.

If we can move Phanuef then we go for it, but what teams would take him for 7M at this point?

Also, 2021 is 5 years away, we have Kadri and Rielly to pay for in the next little while, which should cost probably a combined 10-11M. Nylander won't need a new contract until 2019-2020 and Phanuef would be much easier to move at that point with an actual salary of 3.5M. I don't think we will have to worry about the cap.

BRB, eating my hat.

Last edited:

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Matthews, Nylander, Stamkos and Marner plus JVR and Kadri for a top six would be a pretty compelling top six. Add a couple of other prospects coming up like Timashov, Brown, Soshnikov Kapanen, Dzierkals, Bracco, Johnson, Leivo and that's an interesting top nine. After this draft, focus on drafting defensemen, and convert a forward prospect or two into more defensemen.

If all of those guys hit their potential and we actually get Stamkos + Matthews, that's as good a top 6 as any in the league.

(Brackets would be their peak potential)

Matthews (Kopitar)
Stamkos
Nylander (Backstrom)
Marner (Kane)
JVR
Kadri

That's filthy. You can win cups with that top 6 if they all develop well.

Defencemen will have to be selected. Rielly should turn into a #1, but who comes after him? We should draft a dman with that Pitts pick.

Also, hopefully get another dman in 2017.

Not to mention trades and free agents.

The team would be fantastic in 2-3 years time since Stamkos is still young.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Heyman is more likely to get a 100 point season with the leafs then Stamkos signing here

cant we at least dream? until he signs in tampa please dont be a party pooper.

the 100th year will bring good things...

jvr stamkos marner
matthews nylander lupul
komorov bozak leivo
shoshnikov goat winnik

gardiner phaneuf
rielly zaitsev
hunwick percy

reimer

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
signing him would be a risk, but it's also a risk not signing him and spending most of the next decade kicking ourselves

personally I will livid, and I am not even sure what that word means exactly, if we find out Stamkos was willing to come here and instead they said "no thank you Steve, we know you scored 60 not long ago, but you might end up overpaid a couple mil a season and we got big plans for that money. BIG plans. There are a couple 3rd liners we got our eye on"

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Phaneuf trading helps us so much acquiring Stamkos.

Phaneuf is largely disliked around the league. Wouldn't be surprised if Stamkos hates him as well.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Phaneuf trading helps us so much acquiring Stamkos.

Phaneuf is largely disliked around the league. Wouldn't be surprised if Stamkos hates him as well.

'not just around the league - the fan base pretty much hates him too.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
lol people are going crazy.

Yes I think this increases chances of getting Stamkos as we now have 7 million added in cap space in a year and half (all the contracts expire that we brought in)

I don't see us now backing the truck up to Stamkos house... I still think 9.5-10.5 million is the range... not 12 million.

I would offer him 7 year 70 million

year 1: 13 million
year 2: 13 million
year 3: 13 million
year 4: 10 million
year 5: 8 million
year 6: 7 million
year 7: 6 million

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
One thing worth remembering is Phaneuf and Stamkos are both represented by Newport Sports. This could be their way of helping facilitate their clients needs and ensure the Leafs have a healthy cap situation to go and bring Stamkos in.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
lol people are going crazy.

Yes I think this increases chances of getting Stamkos as we now have 7 million added in cap space in a year and half (all the contracts expire that we brought in)

I don't see us now backing the truck up to Stamkos house... I still think 9.5-10.5 million is the range... not 12 million.

I would offer him 7 year 70 million

year 1: 13 million
year 2: 13 million
year 3: 13 million
year 4: 10 million
year 5: 8 million
year 6: 7 million
year 7: 6 million

Your year 7 would need to be 6.5 million

The lowest dollar figure over the course of the contract needs to be at least half the highest dollar year.

WillNytheSwedishGuy

Sep 17, 2015
I'm not certain about the effect the Phaneuf trade will have on the possibility of Stammer coming here. The Leafs have more cap space, but now also have a d core that is paper thin in terms of proven NHL talent. If Stamkos wants to be on a team thats going to win in the near term, the Leafs may have just become less attractive.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
If we can move Phanuef then we go for it, but what teams would take him for 7M at this point?

Also, 2021 is 5 years away, we have Kadri and Rielly to pay for in the next little while, which should cost probably a combined 10-11M. Nylander won't need a new contract until 2019-2020 and Phanuef would be much easier to move at that point with an actual salary of 3.5M. I don't think we will have to worry about the cap.

BRB, eating my hat.

This is too good :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad