Will Leafs Pursue Stamkos? Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backhandshelf81

Jun 14, 2013
TLN is pretty awful as far as Leafs blogs go. Most of their articles are either clickbait-y pieces offering up commonplace/obvious information, like that Stamkos article posted today, or regurgitated content from other outlets.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I'll agree there is no way we give up anything in a trade now. Tampa waited too long, anybody trading with Tampa should realize it's for this season only. Stamkos being this close to UFA status will definitely explore it.

Grapes1

Jul 24, 2014
The cap hit is $10 mil but the Leafs cap due to Horton's injury is +$5.3 mil more then the hard cap ceiling.

So you don't have to fit the entire $10 mil below the hard ceiling for all intents and purposes, for those that believe that the Leafs can't be competitive with a $10 mil player. It doesn't matter if you apply that LTIR to Stamkos or use it on other player(s) Leafs have an additional +$5 mil more cap space.

I'm not sure I follow this. I was under the impression that Leafs have to account for Hortons salary before the season starts, so technically it would work the other way around where we would have to be under the cap 5.3mil to start the season, then once the season started we could add another 5.3 million to the roster as soon as Horton is put on LTIR...

Maybe I'm wrong

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Trading for Stamkos would be a disastrous move.

You can get him for nothing but capspace come July 1st and having him on the Leafs team for the rest of the year lessons their chances at getting a top 3 pick.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm not sure I follow this. I was under the impression that Leafs have to account for Hortons salary before the season starts, so technically it would work the other way around where we would have to be under the cap 5.3mil to start the season, then once the season started we could add another 5.3 million to the roster as soon as Horton is put on LTIR...

Maybe I'm wrong

That's what I though as well. Would appreciate it if someone who knew for sure could chime in here. It certainly is a strange situation and makes all the projections about how we could fit Stamkos in under the cap a lot more complicated.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The Horton hit counts against the cap until he's placed on LAIR which the Leafs put him on at the start of the season - for insurance reasons.

So his cap hit is technically there against the Leafs cap until they place him on LTITANIUM. It's not like it's free cap space.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
The cap hit is $10 mil but the Leafs cap due to Horton's injury is +$5.3 mil more then the hard cap ceiling.

So you don't have to fit the entire $10 mil below the hard ceiling for all intents and purposes, for those that believe that the Leafs can't be competitive with a $10 mil player. It doesn't matter if you apply that LTIR to Stamkos or use it on other player(s) Leafs have an additional +$5 mil more cap space.

The problem with using LTIR as a mitigating factor is that, I would suspect that most people have been analyzing future Leaf cap space with Horton's situation in mind.

Any hope of signing Stamkos already involves Horton's LTIR because if not, the Leafs would be over the cap.

Using generalfanager.com the Leafs have $8,060,259 in cap space. Horton's LTIR is listed but I don't know if it is already subtracted from the Leafs cap.

If it is already subtracted that means the Leafs only have $2.76 mil realistically. If it is not then the Leafs (could) have $13.36 mil available.

It is hard to look at a team drafting in the top 3 and thinking that they have spent the same amount on players as the Blackhawks, Kings, or Rangers.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
That's what I though as well. Would appreciate it if someone who knew for sure could chime in here. It certainly is a strange situation and makes all the projections about how we could fit Stamkos in under the cap a lot more complicated.

Before the season starts the Maple Leafs have to place Horton on Long Term Injured Reserve. When they do that the team continues to pay Horton AND his cap hit will remain on the books. However, if Toronto exceeds the cap ceiling than they can exceed it by Horton's price of $5.3 mil

For example, say the cap ceiling is $70 mil. The Leafs place Horton on LTIR and the following happens...

If the Leafs total cap is $64.6 mil (not including Horton) than their cap space would be viewed as $69.9 mil (teams $64.6 + Hortons $5.3mil) out of the $70 mil cap maximum.

However if the Leafs total cap hit is at $64.8 mil than their cap space would be viewed as $70.1 mil out of a $75.3 mil cap maximum. (Because you can exceed the limit by his salary)

The problems with it is that the Leafs are still losing money by paying him despite not playing, and the Leafs already have so much dead cap space elsewhere (Gunnarsson, Kessel, Gleason, Robidas).

Another issue with LTIR is that no matter how many people you have listed it does not remove all of their salaries if you go beyond the cap. For example, Robidas has been out all year just like Horton but if they are both on LTIR it DOES NOT mean the Leafs would have $8.3 mil available. Only Horton's would take effect and Robidas' contract is just dead space.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If Stamkos wants to come to the Leafs and would only waive his NTC for Leafs. I think the best Offer would be one or two useful roster player like Arcobello and Spaling for Stamkos.

Leafsbeast*

If Stamkos wants to come to the Leafs and would only waive his NTC for Leafs. I think the best Offer would be one or two useful roster player like Arcobello and Spaling for Stamkos.

No thanks.

Wait until July 1st. If he is available, then sign him. If he is not available, then there is no issue or anymore Stamkos threads and this board will move right on over to the upcoming Tavares threads seamlessly.

We will know if we have a chance on Stammer in 27 days, because if he isn't traded by deadline, Tampa will likely lose him for nothing after that.

I think Stamkos is hanging around in Tampa long enough before signing, to see how he will be handled in the playoffs by Cooper.

Leafsbeast*

I think the Leafs are going to go after Stamkos. Now.

Not a chance.

The leafs will not risk their draft standings by going after Stamkos. Stamkos is good enough to lift us out of the top 10 in draft picks, plus the Leafs don't want to lose assets trying to get him. He would cost a fortune right now.

He is free July 1st. Either he wants to be a leaf or he doesn't, that simple.

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
The problem with using LTIR as a mitigating factor is that, I would suspect that most people have been analyzing future Leaf cap space with Horton's situation in mind.

Any hope of signing Stamkos already involves Horton's LTIR because if not, the Leafs would be over the cap.

Using generalfanager.com the Leafs have $8,060,259 in cap space. Horton's LTIR is listed but I don't know if it is already subtracted from the Leafs cap.

If it is already subtracted that means the Leafs only have $2.76 mil realistically. If it is not then the Leafs (could) have $13.36 mil available.

It is hard to look at a team drafting in the top 3 and thinking that they have spent the same amount on players as the Blackhawks, Kings, or Rangers.

I believe Hortons cap hit is only removed once you go over the cap.

So if we have 8mil in space now and we sign him for 10mil we would be over by 2mil that's when Horton's hit would be removed and we would then have roughly 3mil in cap space.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Thats what I'm waiting for :popcorn:

Lol was just in the leafs logo thread, there's an interview with shanahan.. a reporter said stamkos tweeted about it, asked him if he had anything to say about it. Shanahan just said no lol.

I don't got Twitter, so not sure what was said

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Can't yall see that Stammer is trying to do the Leafs a favour? He IS waiting for July lol it's all a part of the master plan.

Thanks for posting the interview above. The next step that he doesn't want to divulge: they are going back to Maple Leaf Gardens :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The signing of Stamkos as a UFA would have the biggest organizational impact since Fletcher acquired Gilmour and Sundin in trades to help turn things around for Leaf Nation.

Winning the draft lottery would really help moves things along as well. ;)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The signing of Stamkos as a UFA would have the biggest organizational impact since Fletcher acquired Gilmour and Sundin in trades to help turn things around for Leaf Nation.

Winning the draft lottery would really help moves things along as well. ;)

Biggest thing since drafting Marner.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Can't yall see that Stammer is trying to do the Leafs a favour? He IS waiting for July lol it's all a part of the master plan.

Thanks for posting the interview above. The next step that he doesn't want to divulge: they are going back to Maple Leaf Gardens :sarcasm:

I know we are all joking around, but IF Stamkos does want to come to the Leafs, you he SHOULD do us that favor, knowing we can't afford to give up assets if Stamkos wants to play on a winning team in a couple years.... I know its a big F-U to Tampa.... but for all we know, maybe that is a valid F-U?

I think it is impossible that he is traded at TDL. Tampa will keep him for the playoffs, they will not get anything in return that will help them more than Stamkos..... at least not for this year. Plus, the major issue.... Stamkos can just say no.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I know we are all joking around, but IF Stamkos does want to come to the Leafs, you he SHOULD do us that favor, knowing we can't afford to give up assets if Stamkos wants to play on a winning team in a couple years.... I know its a big F-U to Tampa.... but for all we know, maybe that is a valid F-U?

I think it is impossible that he is traded at TDL. Tampa will keep him for the playoffs, they will not get anything in return that will help them more than Stamkos..... at least not for this year. Plus, the major issue.... Stamkos can just say no.

I doubt very much these thoughts cross his mind.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
I doubt very much these thoughts cross his mind.

Me too.

Unless like I said.... there is some huge reason he wants out that we are not aware of, which is possible.

Imagine he turned down 9 in TB, and signed for 9 in TO.... ultimate troll job of all time. TB fans would just lose their minds collectively.

Again, HIGHLY doubt it, but if he was signed prior to July 1st, he would have to wave his rights, and at that point, he may as well wait till July 1st, knowing the Leafs want him. I guess it depends how bad the blood is there.... He could wave in an attempt to leave Tampa on a good note, or he could just refuse and wait, and Tampa gets nothing, which is a bit of a dic* move, not that we would care :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad