Will Leafs Pursue Stamkos? Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafsbeast*

Sundin refused to waive his NTC because he thought he could help get the Leafs into the playoffs. He didn't want to come off like he was abandoning his teammates. It's where the "muskoka 5" came from.

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-maple-leafs-and-the-legacy-of-the-muskoka-five/

But when he failed at that....he retired.....then resurfaced with Vancouver.....thus leaving his teammates in Toronto behind.

Lets not go into all this again. The word "traitor" was used and used a lot back then. Of all the polls, it was a 50/50 split on how he left the team, going for the big payday in Vancouver, lying about not wanting to be a rental player, and saying he only believed players should be with their team from the start of training camp.....and so on and so on.

ps. And none of them were from Muskoka by the way.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
But when he failed at that....he retired.....then resurfaced with Vancouver.....thus leaving his teammates in Toronto behind.

Lets not go into all this again. The word "traitor" was used and used a lot back then. Of all the polls, it was a 50/50 split on how he left the team, going for the big payday in Vancouver, lying about not wanting to be a rental player, and saying he only believed players should be with their team from the start of training camp.....and so on and so on.

no.
his contract was over much like Stamkos's would be over.

while he was on contract, Sundin did not want to leave.
neither does Stamkos

what Stamkos does if and when his contract is over is a different thing.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
[/B]

Wait....wut?

This. All part of Leaf history.

Sundin refused to waive his NTC because he thought he could help get the Leafs into the playoffs. He didn't want to come off like he was abandoning his teammates. It's where the "muskoka 5" came from.

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-maple-leafs-and-the-legacy-of-the-muskoka-five/

Yes there were all kinds that didn't understand what went on.

Anyway, Stamkos will be free after the season was much like Sundin.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site

Did you watch hockey back then? Not trying to insult you, i'm just curious.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I haven't heard anything to suggest he isn't going to sign with Tampa Bay. I would love to have him, but my hopes are not high for this to happen.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I haven't heard anything to suggest he isn't going to sign with Tampa Bay. I would love to have him, but my hopes are not high for this to happen.

His last interview was really intriguing to me. Just seemed really odd when I was reading his behaviour and the way he was answering questions. IIRC when asked if he wanted to stay in Tampa long term, he said his goal is to win a cup with Tampa.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
no.
his contract was over much like Stamkos's would be over.

while he was on contract, Sundin did not want to leave.
neither does Stamkos

what Stamkos does if and when his contract is over is a different thing.

Correct.

Though a few important differences.

1. Sundin said he would not discuss a contract with the Leafs. Stamkos says negotiations are ongoing.

2. Sundin claimed he would never be a rental. He felt that you had to be with a team since camp. He said as much and used it to justify not using his no trade clause.

Which is fine.

He then joined Vancouver, in December after turning down the Leafs offer that was on the table through September of that year.

Those two factors left a raw taste but he likely had just a raw a feeling towards management to take those positions.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
Win a cup this year. Then explore options and get uber rich.

This is what I said last year during the Lightning's run to the Finals.

I said that if Stamkos was able to win a cup before his contract was over that he would explore free agency. Not saying he would necessarily leave Tampa but that he would hit the market to see what was available to him.

The cup always seems to be a sticking point for a players legacy. When they retire without a cup they seem to remembered as a great player who could never win the big game. So if Stamkos was able to get that cup with the Lightning he could go elsewhere (no matter what stage the organization is in) and either play where he wants to play or play where he can make the most money.

However, if he does not win the cup it is hard to say where he goes. He could come to Toronto for a 7-year deal but lose his prime productive years without any guarantee of making the playoffs let alone winning a cup. He could also choose to copy what Hossa did and sign a deal with a cup contender hoping to win before settling in for the rest of his career.

Until he has that ring it is hard to see what he is thinking.

Leafsbeast*

Did you watch hockey back then? Not trying to insult you, i'm just curious.

I have watched every Leaf game in the last 50 years. Never missed one, even when I was in the Military overseas.

GLobello

Dec 1, 2015
I've been back and forth with this all year. Sometimes I think he'll become a free agent and sign with Toronto but honestly right now I cannot see Tampa trading him before the deadline and I cannot see them letting him walk and not getting a single thing in return.

Right now I think Tampa will come up from their 8.5 mil offer and he will sign for 10mil x 8.

DJIncognito

Jun 9, 2007
Correct.

Though a few important differences.

1. Sundin said he would not discuss a contract with the Leafs. Stamkos says negotiations are ongoing.

2. Sundin claimed he would never be a rental. He felt that you had to be with a team since camp. He said as much and used it to justify not using his no trade clause.

Which is fine.

He then joined Vancouver, in December after turning down the Leafs offer that was on the table through September of that year.

Those two factors left a raw taste but he likely had just a raw a feeling towards management to take those positions.

Sundin wasn't a rental - he was a free agent signing and I think his health at the time may have contributed to him being not part of a club at training camp.

I don't recall the Leafs making an offer to him back then - even if they did and he turned it down it's not abandoning his team at all considering they tried to trade him the year before.

Same thing with Stamkos - he's not abandoning anyone unless he requests a trade imo

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Sundin wasn't a rental - he was a free agent signing and I think his health at the time may have contributed to him being not part of a club at training camp.

I don't recall the Leafs making an offer to him back then - even if they did and he turned it down it's not abandoning his team at all considering they tried to trade him the year before.

Same thing with Stamkos - he's not abandoning anyone unless he requests a trade imo

He told them in February that he wouldn't sign.

Fletcher kept an offer on the table till September. He turned it down.

He said he wouldn't join a team through the season. Rental or free agent in December. Same thing.

Those are the differences in the situations. Stamkos is actively negotiating with Tampa.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I've been back and forth with this all year. Sometimes I think he'll become a free agent and sign with Toronto but honestly right now I cannot see Tampa trading him before the deadline and I cannot see them letting him walk and not getting a single thing in return.

Right now I think Tampa will come up from their 8.5 mil offer and he will sign for 10mil x 8.

I am with you.

DJIncognito

Jun 9, 2007
He told them in February that he wouldn't sign.

Fletcher kept an offer on the table till September. He turned it down.

He said he wouldn't join a team through the season. Rental or free agent in December. Same thing.

Those are the differences in the situations. Stamkos is actively negotiating with Tampa.

I wonder what the offer was and if it included a no trade clause. If not I don't blame Sundin for not signing it. Plus if the Leafs had decided they were not contending the right move for him was to go to a contender. Signing as a free agent and being traded as a rental are not the same thing. Especially if he was injured or not at 100% during training camp.

I wouldn't blame Stamkos for accepting a trade if TB asked him to and it was a to a contender - but it sounds like he'll stay with TB and maybe leave next year. Wouldn't blame him for that either but TB fans may not like it.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I wonder what the offer was and if it included a no trade clause. If not I don't blame Sundin for not signing it. Plus if the Leafs had decided they were not contending the right move for him was to go to a contender. Signing as a free agent and being traded as a rental are not the same thing. Especially if he was injured or not at 100% during training camp.

I wouldn't blame Stamkos for accepting a trade if TB asked him to and it was a to a contender - but it sounds like he'll stay with TB and maybe leave next year. Wouldn't blame him for that either but TB fans may not like it.

Don't get caught up in the rental thing. The principle that Sundin was sticking to is that he didn't feel he should join a team through the season.

He chose Vancouver but did it well into the season.

Lance Hornsby of the Sun said that the offer the Leafs gave Sundin, who was 37, was a one year $7M one. They kept that on the table through September.

DJIncognito

Jun 9, 2007
Don't get caught up in the rental thing. The principle that Sundin was sticking to is that he didn't feel he should join a team through the season.

He chose Vancouver but did it well into the season.

Lance Hornsby of the Sun said that the offer the Leafs gave Sundin, who was 37, was a one year $7M one. They kept that on the table through September.

Most players would rather play for a team trying to win (Canucks) - so I don't blame him for choosing Vancouver over a team that was trying to change the culture/rebuild (Leafs).

I still think he didn't sign at the beginning of the season because of his health - I think the rumoured hip issue was true and he may not have decided to play again until later into the season. The Swedes in Vancouver could have recruited him too.

Anyway - differing opinions and since this a Stamkos thread I'll leave it at that.

As for Stamkos - he's earned his free agency under the CBA - big difference to me is he would be leaving a legit contender for a team (if he comes to the Leafs) that is still rebuilding - but at least one that could meet his contract demands - but still has a bright future

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

Wow....he never retired!

Traitor....he would have left the team and waived his no trade contract if he was a traitor!

He was not lying as he refused to waive his no trade contract, which had he did he would have then been a rental.

Also one more thing....Burke did not want him! That was made very clear to him!

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012

lol @ sundin having retired before signing in Vancouver and "ps. And none of them were from Muskoka by the way"

Thanks Tips!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad