Will Leafs Pursue Stamkos? Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
To be honest, I think people are vastly over-rating the potential of player endorsements.

….

I'm glad someone said this.

His twitter lists endorsements from Nike, Bauer, Coca Cola and Sport Chek. Not to mention EA Sports and Tissot from the past.

Endorsement deals factor in more than just the local market. It's the appeal of the player to those that watch the NHL. Stamkos in Tampa or Stamkos in Toronto… he's still Stamkos.

Zack Parise ranks in the Top 5 of NHL endorsers… he played in NJ and Minnesota. Connor McDavid will be a North American endorser of 7 figures, regardless of whether he played in Edmonton or Columbus.

Think of the second biggest market in Canada… Montreal. PK Subban is everywhere. Even has deals with Gatorade and Samsung. I don't think he comes close to earning what Stamkos' reported endorsement income already generates ($1.7M annually).

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
no. just what i mean.
that the AAV is is like 9.5
but years 1-4 is like 14, 13, 12 million.
but the end is like 7-6-5 or something. like the math works out. not like the old-backsliding (which you can't do anyway - but backsliding legally which a lot of contracts have in place anyway. Lupul's is like that, so was Kessels).

If a contract is front loaded then it's not allowed to have any year in the contract less than half of the highest year.

So if you're giving him 14 in one year, the lowest you can give him is 7.

12, 12, 12, 10, 8, 6.5, 6 works if you want to front load a 7x9.5 contract.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm glad someone said this.

His twitter lists endorsements from Nike, Bauer, Coca Cola and Sport Chek. Not to mention EA Sports and Tissot from the past.

Endorsement deals factor in more than just the local market. It's the appeal of the player to those that watch the NHL. Stamkos in Tampa or Stamkos in Toronto… he's still Stamkos.

Zack Parise ranks in the Top 5 of NHL endorsers… he played in NJ and Minnesota. Connor McDavid will be a North American endorser of 7 figures, regardless of whether he played in Edmonton or Columbus.

Think of the second biggest market in Canada… Montreal. PK Subban is everywhere. Even has deals with Gatorade and Samsung. I don't think he comes close to earning what Stamkos' reported endorsement income already generates ($1.7M annually).

Yep, this is all true.

I think he'd likely see a minor bump in endorsement from more localized sources,but he's already likely got as many "major" ones as hell ever get.

The Leafs will likely still need to offer a larger Contract than the Bolts to offset the differences in taxes and cost of living. Endorsements will likely not be enough to make up the difference.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Yep, this is all true.

I think he'd likely see a minor bump in endorsement from more localized sources,but he's already likely got as many "major" ones as hell ever get.

The Leafs will likely still need to offer a larger Contract than the Bolts to offset the differences in taxes and cost of living. Endorsements will likely not be enough to make up the difference.

The taxes are a great point too. He moves his principle residence to Toronto and his $1.7M endorsement deals are immediately taxed at our higher rates.

There is an accountant out there who may highlight that moving to Toronto could actually cost him in terms of Net Revenue from endorsements.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Tax tricks: How an $8.5M Lightning contract keeping Steven Stamkos in Tampa is better than $10.5M to leave

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/inside-the-money-matters-for-steven-stamkos/2262766

How does the exchange rate factor in?

How do dividend taxes factor in, and the differences between the respective countries?

How about other deductions and differences in taxes between the two countries?

Why do they have this so-called brain drain with so many of the upper echelon professionals leaving Canada for the U.S.? Is there some reason for this?

The difference in exchange rates is nothing new, yet still high-earning individuals have been leaving Canada for the U.S. in large numbers for years? Could the differences in exchange rates change again?

As for the endorsement scenario, Stamkos already has earnings from top notch national brands? He ranks #3 already in endorsement revenue for NHL players. How much more money do you think he can make in Canada?

Geez - so many questions that need to be asked. I don't have all the answers but I'd probably ask my accountant if I were in such a position. ;) You'd almost think that all NHL players would be bolting to Canadian teams first chance they get if it were so attractive.

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
If a contract is front loaded then it's not allowed to have any year in the contract less than half of the highest year.

So if you're giving him 14 in one year, the lowest you can give him is 7.

12, 12, 12, 10, 8, 6.5, 6 works if you want to front load a 7x9.5 contract.

but yeah - something akin to that could/should work though

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I think some of you are missing that some of us are suggesting having the team offer his salary difference via endorsements. You guys seem stuck on the notion of traditional endorsement. Jump outside those boxes.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
How do dividend taxes factor in, and the differences between the respective countries?

How about other deductions and differences in taxes between the two countries?

Why do they have this so-called brain drain with so many of the upper echelon professionals leaving Canada for the U.S.? Is there some reason for this?

The difference in exchange rates is nothing new, yet still high-earning individuals have been leaving Canada for the U.S. in large numbers for years? Could the differences in exchange rates change again?

As for the endorsement scenario, Stamkos already has earnings from top notch national brands? He ranks #3 already in endorsement revenue for NHL players. How much more money do you think he can make in Canada?

Geez - so many questions that need to be asked. I don't have all the answers but I'd probably ask my accountant if I were in such a position. ;) You'd almost think that all NHL players would be bolting to Canadian teams first chance they get if it were so attractive.

Agreed.

On the exchange rate front, his USD would go further here but that assumes he wants to convert those dollars to CAD.

If the bulk of his investments, including real estate or business interests, are in the US, there is no value to converting to CAD.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I think some of you are missing that some of us are suggesting having the team offer his salary difference via endorsements. You guys seem stuck on the notion of traditional endorsement. Jump outside those boxes.

And if you read the CBA, starting on page 157, you will find this is not permitted and expressly discussed under the topic of circumvention.

Stamkos could have a North American deal. Like the ones he already has but it cannot be arranged by the Leafs or "agents" or "club actors."

It's moot.

Calacatz

Jacked!
Aug 10, 2005
Can you people stop worrying about the $$ and endorsements, taxes, etc.. If Stamkos came to the Leafs, money would be the least of his problems. The team will ensure he and his family are well taken care of.

The 2 biggest factors here are:

1) Would Yzerman even allow Stamkos to easily become a UFA - Answer "never" Only way this happens is when the team who at least trades for his negotiation rights completely fails to get something done (which we all know would happen at the draft if nothing is done before hand).

2) Does he even want to come here? I think the Leafs would at least kick tires and table something if he became UFA, but does he have the patience to wait until the team is a contender or will he join a team that is ready to take it to the next level.

At the end of the day, if Stamkos wants to be a Leaf and has the option to make that decision, $ would be the last thing to stop him!

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Can you people stop worrying about the $$ and endorsements, taxes, etc.. If Stamkos came to the Leafs, money would be the least of his problems. The team will ensure he and his family are well taken care of.

The 2 biggest factors here are:

1) Would Yzerman even allow Stamkos to easily become a UFA - Answer "never" Only way this happens is when the team who at least trades for his negotiation rights completely fails to get something done (which we all know would happen at the draft if nothing is done before hand).

2) Does he even want to come here? I think the Leafs would at least kick tires and table something if he became UFA, but does he have the patience to wait until the team is a contender or will he join a team that is ready to take it to the next level.

At the end of the day, if Stamkos wants to be a Leaf and has the option to make that decision, $ would be the last thing to stop him!

This is ridiculous and makes no sense. Yzerman has absolutely 0 control or negotiation power over Stamkos. Stamkos and New Sports holds all the cards period. Whatever leverage Yzerman had, he has none now. With the exception of the 8 year option.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
This is ridiculous and makes no sense. Yzerman has absolutely 0 control or negotiation power over Stamkos. Stamkos and New Sports holds all the cards period. Whatever leverage Yzerman had, he has none now. With the exception of the 8 year option.
What if Yzerman handcuffs Stamkos to him and doesn't let him leave

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Stammer with 103.9mph slapper.No doubt the hardest in the league for a forward.
He should be playing the point on the PP.Better shot than his buddy Subban.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

I think his current one-timer spot is just fine on the PP.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Stamkos does pretty well for himself on top of the left faceoff circle, yet in the playoffs they had him standing in front of the net like a Tomas Holmstrom. Curious.

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
The taxes are a great point too. He moves his principle residence to Toronto and his $1.7M endorsement deals are immediately taxed at our higher rates.

There is an accountant out there who may highlight that moving to Toronto could actually cost him in terms of Net Revenue from endorsements.

Lol the tax thing is nice but the health care is a hole other issue in the states as well. Ya he might make more per pay cheque but health care is $$$$$$ down there while it's free here, prescriptions and insurance is free and cheap here and huge $$$$$ down there, cost of living ( groceries, daily bills, etc.) may be cheaper but that's not a total seller.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Lol the tax thing is nice but the health care is a hole other issue in the states as well. Ya he might make more per pay cheque but health care is $$$$$$ down there while it's free here, prescriptions and insurance is free and cheap here and huge $$$$$ down there, cost of living ( groceries, daily bills, etc.) may be cheaper but that's not a total seller.

pretty much.

it always balances it self out

higher tax - generally means lower(ish) cost of living on basic sundries while lower tax generally means higher cost of livings on basic sundries.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA

Since when are insurance and prescriptions free in Canada?The free healthcare is why we have higher taxes than the US.But one major surgery and you get a large % worth of taxes you have paid back.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
As many here have commented, I don't believe this will ultimately come down to money, if Stamkos wants to be with the leafs, he will be. The Money factor as many pointed out would more or less even out (minus the 8th year that he would be able to sign with TB). Here's hoping Stammer wants to play in T.O :yo:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
We are talking about Hockey players who is Canadian and been living in Canada since birth. I think taxation is the last of his concern when it comes to choosing where to play. Endorsement deals might play a factor bc playing in a major market usually means sponsors playing more. Say Stamkos gets 2mil from Nike while being in TB, he might get another mil from them bc he plays in TO. But not enough to the point where some are suggesting.
Key is where do Stamkos wants to play? If he wants to play for the Leafs, he will be a Leafs regardless of how much Stevie Y throw at him bc he knows he can get the same deal from the Leafs.
I was watching some old videos the other day and although I seen the 2015 draft/behind the scene a few times already, something new hits me. It was Connor congratulating Marner on being draft by the Leafs, although it was only a sec, you could see that Connor was happy Marner got to play for the Leafs, but u didn't see Marner congratulated Connor on being draft by the Oilers. I think that said a lot about guys growing up living, breathing, tasting hockey and the impact of wanting to play for their favor and home team.
Esp., since the Leafs have one of/if not the best MGT in the league.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
All these facts and figures about endorsements and taxes and off setting of taxes with endorsements and cost of living and so on, are valid... but lets face it, steve is 26 years old and a multimillionaire. He will undoubtedly earn millions more regardless of where he plays. I think he can afford to live anywhere he truely wants to, regardless of the costs being discussed. If he wont play here unless the circumstances are exactly like tampa, then its not a fit here.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Stamkos does pretty well for himself on top of the left faceoff circle, yet in the playoffs they had him standing in front of the net like a Tomas Holmstrom. Curious.

"They had him?"

Not sure if you've ever watched playoff hockey before but time and space is very limited especially in the prime scoring areas that Stamkos uses to score.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
We are talking about Hockey players who is Canadian and been living in Canada since birth. I think taxation is the last of his concern when it comes to choosing where to play. Endorsement deals might play a factor bc playing in a major market usually means sponsors playing more. Say Stamkos gets 2mil from Nike while being in TB, he might get another mil from them bc he plays in TO. But not enough to the point where some are suggesting.
Key is where do Stamkos wants to play? If he wants to play for the Leafs, he will be a Leafs regardless of how much Stevie Y throw at him bc he knows he can get the same deal from the Leafs.
I was watching some old videos the other day and although I seen the 2015 draft/behind the scene a few times already, something new hits me. It was Connor congratulating Marner on being draft by the Leafs, although it was only a sec, you could see that Connor was happy Marner got to play for the Leafs, but u didn't see Marner congratulated Connor on being draft by the Oilers. I think that said a lot about guys growing up living, breathing, tasting hockey and the impact of wanting to play for their favor and home team.
Esp., since the Leafs have one of/if not the best MGT in the league.

I agree with you re: Marner and McDavid, but I'd say that it comes with a caveat that some Ontario-born players are Leafs fans at the time of the draft but no longer feel the same way by the time they are 25 or 30. On one hand, Lindros wanted to play *only* for the Leafs when he was 27. On the other hand, I'd wonder how much Spezza still wanted to play for us after years of success in Ottawa, even though he grew up a Leaf fan. Ditto with Shanahan. I don't think Shanny would ever have considered leaving Detroit in his prime, although admittedly he's now returned to the team of his youth. And Cujo was already a hero in Toronto, and LEFT to pursue a cup with Detroit.

I think it'll all depend on the circumstances. Has X player won a cup? Would he be leaving a cup contender? Are the Leafs a contender, or at least a playoff team? Has he married a local girl? Does he want to live on the beaches of California instead, and just come to Toronto in the summers, and then cheer for the Leafs again after retirement?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
"They had him?"

Not sure if you've ever watched playoff hockey before but time and space is very limited especially in the prime scoring areas that Stamkos uses to score.

What are you on about now? They used to put him on the point and on the side boards in the past which allowed him to one time off the left face off circle and high slot, but when you stand in front of the net, you're the garbage goal guy. It's hard to take a slap shot when you're standing beside the goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad