Prospect Info: Wild Prospect Thread 2023-2024

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Interesting new info on Yurov contract negotiations from Russo. Seems like he believes the lack of extra bonuses could have been a deciding factor for Yurov to stay in Russia:

What is the reasoning of leaving Yurov over in Europe and not having him here this year?

He made that decision, but in addition, in the Wild’s cap situation, they couldn’t give him “B” bonuses, which his side was insistent on despite them being largely unattainable and generally only given to top, top, top draft picks. The Wild would have had to account for those bonuses in their cap.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Interesting new info on Yurov contract negotiations from Russo. Seems like he believes the lack of extra bonuses could have been a deciding factor for Yurov to stay in Russia:

Yeah, I'm not quite sure what to think of that. Is that the Wild being too rigid in negotiations, or are they so concerned about this year's cap space that they're making a top prospect wait a year?

If it's the latter, it makes me wonder if their real plan is to accrue lots of space through the year and make a huge splash in a trade. If it's the former, I'm not sure why they wouldn't want a young potential middle-six guy instead of an old middle-six guy? Maybe they're just concerned about possibly having 3-5 rookies on the team at once (Ohgren, Khusnutdinov, Yurov, Heidt, Hunt). That would be a valid concern.

Whatever the cause, it's certainly interesting.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Smells like overblown ego demanding bonuses that are largely unattainable and a asshole move on his part.
Or just a bad excuse to stay at home. Or greed.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
"There are only two types of investors, those who can't time the market (predict the future), and those who don't know they can't time the market." -Terry Smith

I'm not prepared to predict the future of a player, no matter how skilled they are, who plays a contact sport. Crazy stuff happens and many careers have been cut short by injury or other events. I don't blame Yurov for wanting to maximize his profits as early as possible, I'd do the same. You've gotta protect yourself. If you want to be generous, do it on the backend of your career.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
That was actually mentioned previously, before his KHL contract was finalized, it was just the political justification for staying another year IMO. If he really wanted to leave the KHL, that would not have been a difference maker. The bonuses are unobtainable to the point that if they ever were attained, that player is getting set for life money anyway and likely endorsements to exceed the difference in the meantime.

Faber did not take any bonuses, there is already an existing precedent on this team for it, as everyone should be aware, this organization needs as much cap flexibility as possible to compete.

Reactions: BagHead

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Smells like overblown ego demanding bonuses that are largely unattainable and a asshole move on his part.

Here's the thing; right around when Guerin was signed as GM, he was having trouble negotiating contracts. One of the biggest sticklers was that he didn't want to give up a signing bonus because Leipold doesn't want to do signing bonuses. I think it was Kaprizov that he was having trouble with signing.

I think Minnesota is one of the only teams that doesn't give out signing bonuses - well, they gave out I think one?

Furthermore, can't blame a player for trying to maximize their profits. Play on a 3 year contract for 866K or 925K - blow out your knee, can't really play anymore and that's it.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Wonderful, more ammo to use against Guerin when the time is right.

Give him the bonuses. If he hits them it will be well worth it.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So greed then. They are gonna make enough money to last for a lifetime.

We're not talking about Yurov demanding free money just for coming over, look at the B bonuses that he's asking for, he has to work for these

"B" Level Bonuses

"B" Bonuses are worth a maximum of $2 Million (up to $2.5M for players drafted in 2022 and later), and the full amount of the bonus is awarded if any of the following is achieved:

-Forwards: Top Ten in NHL Forward Goals, Assists, points, or points per game (min 42 GP)

-Defensemen: Top Ten in NHL Defensemen Goals, Assists, points, ice time or points per game (min 42 GP) for Defensemen

-Win any of the following trophies: Hart, Selke, Richard, Conn Smythe, Norris

-1st or 2nd team All-Star

I would be more than okay with giving him that money if he achieves those feats. That would put him on Kaprizov's level or above.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
The B bonuses no longer make sense for most situations, the NHL changed how they are accounted for, what three seasons ago? Giving B bonuses now has to be accounted for in the same season, they are almost impossible to achieve, but add $2MM to the total Cap hit for that player, whether they achieve the bonuses or not. The NHL gives a small percentage of overage availability for all bonuses, but not worth blowing a third of that overage space on a single ELC rookie hoping to be a top 10 player in the league.

Reactions: BagHead

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
With Yurov coming over, that would be 13 forwards with Lettieri in the pressbox. We have 6 defensemen with Chisholm to sign (cheap) and something like $6.2M in cap space.

I don't see the issue with the B bonuses, unless Guerin would rather have a $4-$5M free agent forward than Yurov on the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad