Prospect Info: Wild Prospect Thread 2023-2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Beckman is a player that's gotten more chances than I'd have given him. He really didn't show anything in the NHL except that he isn't ready for the NHL. He didn't show anything in the AHL except that he's a mediocre minor league scorer. He needs to have a crazy offseason where he packs on muscle, speed, and confidence, or at least two of the three. I hope he comes to camp champing at the bit.

Lorenz intrigues me, but I'm keeping my cautious optimism on him much like I am Heidt. These are guys who scored bigger numbers than they probably would have on another team. That doesn't mean they didn't earn any of their offense, just that the numbers are probably a little inflated.

Dang, they could have drafted you instead of Stramel. Since the hockey world is an old boy's club, it would have been your foot in the door for the GM job.
The only thing i will say in Beckman's defense is that it's possible he will develop strength a bit later. He's got the length. Also, Lorenz, while the same size as Beckman, is a completely different style of player. More gritty, physical, with less of a scoring touch. More comfortable playing on the inside.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
The only thing i will say in Beckman's defense is that it's possible he will develop strength a bit later. He's got the length. Also, Lorenz, while the same size as Beckman, is a completely different style of player. More gritty, physical, with less of a scoring touch. More comfortable playing on the inside.
This is what I had taken away from his game as well. I view him as a bottom-6 guy, which is another reason why I sort of discount his offense this year to a degree. Who knows though? Guys who are comfortable on the inside can sometimes develop into 30 garbage-goal players.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
We need a 6' 7" tall butt ugly dude who can't skate for shit and is no stranger to dropping the mitts.
Because grit first.
Found him! He just needs to grow an inch, then he meets all the criteria.

@Digitalbooya please put him in our draft board thread.

• Love
Reactions: Digitalbooya

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Haight v Parker in Memorial Cup. Haight looks good, not great. Parker with an assist... otherwise unremarkable. Parekh already has 1g 2a.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Haight with 2g, including the game winner, in a 4-3 win in the Memorial Cup. He looks good, but not dominant. Fast, reasonably strong, reasonably skilled, smart. Will be intriguing to see how he adapts to the AHL next year.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Haight with 2g, including the game winner, in a 4-3 win in the Memorial Cup. He looks good, but not dominant. Fast, reasonably strong, reasonably skilled, smart. Will be intriguing to see how he adapts to the AHL next year.
I did not watch, but highlights here, timestamped to right before Haight's run of points. First goal is a great play.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I'm honestly never sure what to make of Haight. He's sort of good at lots of things but great at none, and his production reflects that. I'm not sure if he'll be completely unproductive in the pro game (even AHL), or become something like Vinny Prospal or Mikael Renberg, a great third player on a scoring line, in the NHL.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm honestly never sure what to make of Haight. He's sort of good at lots of things but great at none, and his production reflects that. I'm not sure if he'll be completely unproductive in the pro game (even AHL), or become something like Vinny Prospal or Mikael Renberg, a great third player on a scoring line, in the NHL.
Same, but the good thing about him is that he has no limiting factor to his game. He's not big, but big and strong enough, and his skating is vg. His IQ also seems to be high. You never know how players are going to develop, or if they are, but he looks like a player to me. I can see him being a 3rd liner... that's assuming that he is coachable, and not an airhead.

I haven't watched him enough to see if he gives consistent effort. You would think with the skills he has that he would produce more.... maybe he is too busy covering for Parekh.:eyeroll:

Parekh, OTOH, would concern me as a #13 pick. It's really hard to ignore his production in junior, but i see a lot of things to his game that i don't think will fly at higher levels.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
He looks like a pro out there but doesn't dominate like one. It's strange. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes off once he starts playing with regular AHLers.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
He looks like a pro out there but doesn't dominate like one. It's strange. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes off once he starts playing with regular AHLers.
Would a more offensive sided Dewar be an suitable comparison? If so, it would be a nice to get a 30pt version of that in the lineup.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Would a more offensive sided Dewar be an suitable comparison? If so, it would be a nice to get a 30pt version of that in the lineup.
Well, he's a bit bigger... Dewar wouldn't be the first guy who jumps out to me as a comparison. Style wise he reminds me of someone, and also the way he looks better than his point totals, but it's so old school i am not going to bother, because no one will know what i am talking about.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Haven't been on the forums this week so sorry for the late response. I see Haight as a much different player than Dewar. Definitely more offensive minded with better hands/playmaking/creativity in the O zone. I am not sure I would project him to be able to transition to a solid PKer with a little grit/some offense.

I have said all along that I think he is going to surprise people - he thinks the game better than a lot of kids at the junior level, and that will show in the AHL this year. I wish I was able to show his shifts from last year's exhibition games but he was the driver on the Heidt/Walker line. He certainly was not a passenger. I hope he plays with one of Bankier or Milne with Toporowski and that they tear up the AHL.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Haven't been on the forums this week so sorry for the late response. I see Haight as a much different player than Dewar. Definitely more offensive minded with better hands/playmaking/creativity in the O zone. I am not sure I would project him to be able to transition to a solid PKer with a little grit/some offense.

I have said all along that I think he is going to surprise people - he thinks the game better than a lot of kids at the junior level, and that will show in the AHL this year. I wish I was able to show his shifts from last year's exhibition games but he was the driver on the Heidt/Walker line. He certainly was not a passenger. I hope he plays with one of Bankier or Milne with Toporowski and that they tear up the AHL.
I think its interesting if memory serves, Dewar did have to re-adjust his game a tad bit when going to the pros to find his niche. And I do remember Haight looking good in camp but if the argument is that he can't beat out Yurov, Heidt, Rossi, Ohgren or even other prospects for a top six role, I'm thinking in my head that Haight isn't a one-dimensional guy and can morph his game a bit to find his spot on the roster. Kind of how I see Khunustidinov is going to slowly carve a career as a 3rd line PKing skilled forward.

Reactions: Jbcraig1883

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
I think its interesting if memory serves, Dewar did have to re-adjust his game a tad bit when going to the pros to find his niche. And I do remember Haight looking good in camp but if the argument is that he can't beat out Yurov, Heidt, Rossi, Ohgren or even other prospects for a top six role, I'm thinking in my head that Haight isn't a one-dimensional guy and can morph his game a bit to find his spot on the roster. Kind of how I see Khunustidinov is going to slowly carve a career as a 3rd line PKing skilled forward.
I fully admit I didn't see enough of Haight this year to see his defensive game/usage. I am mostly going of last year, prospect camp, main camp+exhibitions and video highlights. When I saw Dewar at the same level/minors, he already had a natural inclination for physical play and being heavier in the corners. If anyone watched a lot of Haight this year, please chime in.

To your last point, I can't argue with that. Bankier may even be ahead of him on the depth chart at this point, too. One minor benefit Haight has is his RH shot. If he can hang with the aforementioned or develop chemistry with the top 6, maybe he pushes one of the others down the lineup?

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong

“He is not afraid of the physical part of the game by any means,” Hendricks said. “He’s a scrappy defender. He likes to own the ice in front of his defensive net. He likes to play physical.”

“I think at the end of the day he’s going to be a two-way player that will be able to play against top-end guys and be secondary scoring, whether it’s PP2 or just at five-on-five,” Ripplinger said. “He’s a competitor, he loves blocking shots, and he’s a true warrior.”

More tidbits about Parker but sounds like he'll be a minute munching type of depth defenseman when he reaches the pros.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
So I asked Brock Otten (OHL Guru and now with McKeens - been on HF for a long time), and you are right, I am wrong. Brock believes he has been physical enough and can possibly play a different role should the offense not pan out.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Well, he's a bit bigger... Dewar wouldn't be the first guy who jumps out to me as a comparison. Style wise he reminds me of someone, and also the way he looks better than his point totals, but it's so old school i am not going to bother, because no one will know what i am talking about.
Please bother. OR DM me it.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Please bother. OR DM me it.
Okay, then. Dick Duff. A good middle sixer for years that was never quite good enough to be a top line player(this was back in the days when they had 3 lines). Great skater, good both ways, would score a bit. Not physical, but tough enough not to disappear in heavy going. Stylistically appealing game.

A HOF'er, but more because he had the good fortune of being on 6 Cup winners, though you could argue that he was a small part of the reason his teams won cups. Actually, looking back on his career you could say that he was pretty clutch in the playoffs.

Haight just has an all round good looking game. Very nice skater, smart, and handles the puck well. Does just about everything well, really, w/o outstanding stats. Again, like Duff.

Reactions: BagHead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad