Why the Bruins Should Re-Sign Pending Free Agent Forward Danton Heinen to a Multi-Year Extension

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Didn't Heinen have one of the best hits in the playoffs? Pus he stood up for Captain Brad.

I would sign him if the $$ is right.

Any team needs players that are as versatile as Danton is.
Good points, still would like someone who can hit more.

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
giving out bloated multi year contracts is exactly why they blew the window they had with the 2011 team
Yep, we’re talking about a guy no other team wanted last year, and now we’re talking about giving him 2M+. The only way it makes any sense to consider bringing him back is if Frederic or Geekie is being traded.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
He feels like a 1Y/$2M or 2Y/1.5M player. He is a valuable 3W / utility player at that price. I would do it. I wouldn’t do it for any more than those two options, though.

If he wants to go to the open market and get more than that, thank him for his service. He was a heck of a value player this season.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I`m a massive Heinen fanboy. That said, I want first to fix the issue with this team, lack of speed, scoring and grit up front and THEN do you look at how much $$ you have left and see if Heinen would be a fit
This is it precisely.

I'm no Heinen fanboy, but the guy plays valuable minutes up and down the lineup.

You gotta move players out in order to change the makeup though. Because Heinen represents no aspect of where we need to see improvements. It's not the value for the money - it's the space he occupies.

But you get the pieces you need and there's still room for Heinen after? Absolutely.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
It’s a long season, there’s always injuries. I’d rather pay Heinen 1.5X3 or 2.0X2 as a bottom 6er who can jump up and spot fill in the top 6 when needed.

Just a smart hockey player who isn’t going to hurt you defensively when he’s out there.

I also liked the 11-13-43 line when it was together.

But if his ask is over 2m I tell him he has to wait to see how the rest of the offseason plays out. At which point he probably signs elsewhere and I’m ok with that too.

Last edited:

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Heinen - Frederic - Geekie
Beecher - Boqvist - Brazeau

Just playing it out your way

Zacha - X - Pasta
Marchy - Coyle - Y
Heinen-Freddy-Geekie
Beecher-Boqvist-Brazeau

If Jake is back or not decides the Y. I can kind of see what people mean here in their replies to you.

So I submit to you they might go this route:

Zacha - X - Pasta
Y- Coyle - Z
Marchy-Freddy-Geekie
Heinen- Beecher - Brazeau

And Marchy gets minutes more in line with his age. And this opens a spot for someone like a Lysell to make the jump, or we spend some money. I like Boqvist too fwiw. But gotta open some spots for high end talent. Maybe Boqvist is the 13th F

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Just playing it out your way

Zacha - X - Pasta
Marchy - Coyle - Y
Heinen-Freddy-Geekie
Beecher-Boqvist-Brazeau

If Jake is back or not decides the Y. I can kind of see what people mean here in their replies to you.

So I submit to you they might go this route:

Zacha - X - Pasta
Y- Coyle - Z
Marchy-Freddy-Geekie
Heinen- Beecher - Brazeau

And Marchy gets minutes more in line with his age. And this opens a spot for someone like a Lysell to make the jump, or we spend some money. I like Boqvist too fwiw. But gotta open some spots for high end talent.

Problem (for Heinen) is that in your 2nd lineup, the X, Y and Z will eat up at least 20 million, plus they need to pay Swayman, which means they can’t pay any 4th liner more than a million.

I’ve done at least one mock draft a week for the last month or so on capfriendly and they definitely can bring in three forwards (including JDB or a replacement) to play top 6 with Pasta, Zacha and Marchand, which leaves Freddy, Coyle and Geekie on line 3.

If that happens, line 4 needs to be cheap. If Heinen wants to play here for a million or so, then it's fine.

But if he's back for more than $2 million, I'd say the off season didn't go as well as it could have up front, because it means that one of Coyle, Geekie, Frederic or Heinen is expected to play on line 2.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Problem (for Heinen) is that in your 2nd lineup, the X, Y and Z will eat up at least 20 million, plus they need to pay Swayman, which means they can’t pay any 4th liner more than a million.

I don't believe that to be true (the 20M). And that's because several of them can be 4.75-5M vets like a Tarasenko style deal. And there's also Lysell to bring up pretty soon.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I don't believe that to be true (the 20M). And that's because several of them can be 4.75-5M vets like a Tarasenko style deal. And there's also Lysell to bring up pretty soon.

Maybe.
I was thinking more along the lines of:

Lindholm for 7.5
JDB or his replacement for 6.5
And another guy like a Stephenson, Toffoli, etc. for 5.5/6

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
My preference would not to have both Coyle and Zacha in the top six. The team might get away with it in the regular season but they become overmatched in the playoffs.
Ideally Coyle would be third line center and Zacha on line two c/w. They need to sign or trade for a proven top six (#1) center. A second line center would be nice, too, with Zacha on wing. I believe it can be done with pieces moving and the cap space.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
People here act like it’s their money which I’m personally glad it’s not mine

I’ve looked at some of my grocery receipts and been horrified and tried to determine did I really need that box of extra toasty Cheez-its (actually yes but you get my point)

I’m Donny I’m paying Heinen 2-3 years between 2-3 M
Right there with you about Heinen.
I don’t need shiny new toys just for the sake of it.

Reactions: Ladyfan and BMC

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Maybe.
I was thinking more along the lines of:

Lindholm for 7.5
JDB or his replacement for 6.5
And another guy like a Stephenson, Toffoli, etc. for 5.5/6
Tyler Toffoli is already 32

His metrics aren’t good

If he is signed here he will be hated

He is not physical and as long as has a top play making center (which we dont) he can score but he’s basically a DH

Here he is from fantasy

Toffoli's numbers look OK from a distance, but he racked up most of his points in the early going. Toffoli has a team-leading 16 goals and has 29 points in 41 games, but a closer look shows that he has only four goals and four assists in his past 20 contests and has a mediocre minus-10 rating overall. He has managed only 26 hits and six blocked shots. His shots on goal are down from last season, as he's averaging 2.83, compared to 3.27 in 2022-23. Toffoli has also lost his center, Jack Hughes, who is listed as week-to-week, which doesn't help Toffoli's fantasy value.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

His metrics aren’t good

He is not physical and as long as has a top play making center (which we dont) he can score but he’s basically a DH

Here he is from fantasy

Toffoli's numbers look OK from a distance, but he racked up most of his points in the early going. Toffoli has a team-leading 16 goals and has 29 points in 41 games, but a closer look shows that he has only four goals and four assists in his past 20 contests and has a mediocre minus-10 rating overall. He has managed only 26 hits and six blocked shots. His shots on goal are down from last season, as he's averaging 2.83, compared to 3.27 in 2022-23. Toffoli has also lost his center, Jack Hughes, who is listed as week-to-week, which doesn't help Toffoli's fantasy value.

yeah I don't understand the love, he is a better sniper than JDB, but worse to significantly worse than JDB in every other aspect of the game. And he is likely going to cost just as much as Jake and will want 5 years

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
yeah I don't understand the love, he is a better sniper than JDB, but worse to significantly worse than JDB in every other aspect of the game. And he is likely going to cost just as much as Jake and will want 5 years
I would rather pay Heinen $2.5 M then Toffoli $2.5

And as for DeBrusk

Only one person but I was discussing Toffoli with a friend who wants him here over DeBrusk and I said casually ‘who’s older DeBrusk?’ - got a think so and said ‘actually DeBrusk is 27 and Toffoli 32’

32????

In fairness I play in a SIM league where I know what 90 % of these guys make off the top of my head - I admit I would have thought Toffoli was 28 or 29:laugh:

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

His metrics aren’t good

Here he is from fantasy

Not married to him.

But goals are important.

Not looking for him to be a primary target but if others are scared off by his secondary stats, at the right price, playing with the right line mates, the likely 25 goals he’d score could be useful.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

He’s supposedly a really nice guy so I hope he doesn’t come here - his game will be very disliked

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Sweeney said they are looking for secondary scoring. 2RW is a major need. Fits like a glove. 30+ goals each of the past two seasons, including 46 even strength which would be 2nd on Boston the past two seasons.

Reactions: sarge88

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Sweeney said they are looking for secondary scoring. 2RW is a major need. Fits like a glove. 30+ goals each of the past two seasons, including 46 even strength which would be 2nd on Boston the past two seasons.
He’s slow and we don’t have Jack Hughes centering him

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
He’s slow and we don’t have Jack Hughes centering him
They can reunite him with Lindholm, will work out nicely. I'll take a 30+ goal scoring slow guy any day of the week. He's scored 46 ES goals the past 2 years, and unless he slowed down alot on Winnipeg he looked pretty good to me in NJ

Reactions: sarge88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad