Why the Bruins Should Re-Sign Pending Free Agent Forward Danton Heinen to a Multi-Year Extension

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
IMG_2246.png
Say the Bruins had 16 million to spend on 3 forwards. Which is better?

Option A => 1 A-level forward and 1 B-level forward splitting up 14 million + Danton Heinen at 2 million.

OR

Option B => 3 B-level forwards splitting up the 16 million.

If it's me, I take Option A all day long. You get that forward they really need that slots between Pasta and Marchand as the teams #2 forward. And they get more flexibility moving forward with Heinen's lower term and lower AAV.

Signing 3 B-level forwards all age 27 or older in the same summer for significant AAV and term sounds like a recipe for disaster. Middle six forwards with term are some of the hardest contracts to move in hockey if things go south or cap space is needed.

I’ve done so many mock lineups my head spins sometimes. I work better with specific names and salaries so I’ll answer it with the mock lineup above.

This is with Ullmark moved for picks.

And…I know it won’t happen, some guys might get more $$ or years, but this is the type of lineup I’d want and why/how, I don’t see Heinen fitting if they are serious about improving.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I’ve done so many mock lineups my head spins sometimes. I work better with specific names and salaries so I’ll answer it with the mock lineup above.

This is with Ullmark moved for picks.

And…I know it won’t happen, some guys might get more $$ or years, but this is the type of lineup I’d want and why/how, I don’t see Heinen fitting if they are serious about improving.

Were on the same track except for me, I'd prefer say Debrusk + Marchessault or Guentzel (say 8 million +) and Heinen vs. Lindholm + Monahan + Debrusk.

Reactions: Gordoff and sarge88

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
The Mocks are all very good

I’m waiting for DeBrusk leak from agent he’s going to FA

I don’t see his agent the busting the Bruins balls type - he may have guys he needs a favor at some point for AHL or camp invite

Sweeney kinda did a little one on one negotiation with Jake during his Press Conference that some agents might have been irked

But the messsge was - we aren’t dicking around

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Gotta pass. That would be bringing back 10 of the 12 forwards in a "bridge year"...with money to spend now they should change it up more than two top 6 forwards. Also would like to see Merk, Lysell and Poitras given some runway to earn a spot.

We are out on 3 big names

Only Guentzel surprised me not that I expected him

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be

We are out on 3 big names

Only Guentzel surprised me not that I expected him
“I have to be able to find some players that can come in and provide secondary scoring for us at key opportune times,” the general manager admitted last week, per Shinzawa.

I'm guessing the primary scoring guys are Pasta and Marchand. Pasta was 7 and Marchand 50. Another primary scorer wouldn't hurt.

I just LOVE how the Danton Heinen debate simply refuses to die.....Hell, I'd sign him just to keep the conversation going.
I would pass on him like I mentioned but a 4 year extension would be great for this place :)

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Am I the only one who would rather have Heinen at $2m per year than Geekie? Why can't we trade Geekie to open up a spot?

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Am I the only one who would rather have Heinen at $2m per year than Geekie? Why can't we trade Geekie to open up a spot?
I like Geekie because I think he's a better Center. If it comes down to a choice between the 2, I go with Geekie. That said, I think there's room for both on the roster in the bottom half of the lineup.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I like Geekie because I think he's a better Center. If it comes down to a choice between the 2, I go with Geekie. That said, I think there's room for both on the roster in the bottom half of the lineup.
Yeah he's a better center but I don't think he's a good center. I'm thinking we won't need him there this year. But that's certainly the argument for Geekie.

Reactions: RoccoF14

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Did you see the beach scene ending of Trading Places when Eddie Murphy GF wanted lunch and was offered lobster or cracked crab - and the reply is ‘why can’t we have both?’

Heinen - Frederic - Geekie

Why can’t we have both - the entire line will be about $6.5 M

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Did you see the beach scene ending of Trading Places when Eddie Murphy GF wanted lunch and was offered lobster or cracked crab - and the reply is ‘why can’t we have both?’

Because I really don't want Geekie, and I think Poitras needs a spot?

I also admit to some bias as a hockey coach (coaching first year bantam this year) and I can't remember a NHL player who has his stick at his knees more often than Geekie. Constantly surprised when the puck comes to him. Reminds me of having to constantly yell at 4 of my kids about it.

He's fine. I think Heinen gives you more.

Reactions: Gordoff

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
“I have to be able to find some players that can come in and provide secondary scoring for us at key opportune times,” the general manager admitted last week, per Shinzawa.

I'm guessing the primary scoring guys are Pasta and Marchand. Pasta was 7 and Marchand 50. Another primary scorer wouldn't hurt.

Someone should let Sweeney know that scoring at opportune times typically comes from primary scoring threats.

Does he think that Brad Marchand is just going to play forever?

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

So Coyle is 2C or 4C?

Not good enough for 2C if they want to contend…(unless linemates are Marchand and Stamkos, IMO.)

Too good and expensive for 4C.

If Stamkos were here in the above situation, I could stomach Heinen back. Would still hate him, but aside from a few years since 1981 or so, there’s always been a guy I hate on the team.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Because I really don't want Geekie, and I think Poitras needs a spot?

I also admit to some bias as a hockey coach (coaching first year bantam this year) and I can't remember a NHL player who has his stick at his knees more often than Geekie. Constantly surprised when the puck comes to him. Reminds me of having to constantly yell at 4 of my kids about it.

He's fine. I think Heinen gives you more.
4 kids? Bless you sir.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
of course you can’t

Isn’t getting Joe to quit enough damage

I tell him you’re a nice guy (nicer then Glorydaze, actually not saying much lol) but he still wants to go all Jacob Trouba on you all in the name of Danton Heinen

Joe these days could play Walter White in Breaking Bad - same look, same attitude - but Danton Heinen is what fuels him

As for Heinen- no to 4th line - too good

he’s a legit third liner who can play lines 1 and 2 with skill

I’m a Brazeau fan but if I saw him 10 times in Providence I would say I made more contact going to the Fried Dough stand - right @Saxon Eric ?

Wait till Sheppy finds out Brazeau has never fought in Junior or professional hockey and went games with 0 hits in the AHL

Sorry Sarge but I’m taking Mr Congeniality Danton Heinen over the friendly Giant & Lauko
All about the $$$$. Don’t ask me why bUT 55 is better and more physical in the NHL than the AHL

Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad