Why the Bruins Should Re-Sign Pending Free Agent Forward Danton Heinen to a Multi-Year Extension

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Because I really don't want Geekie, and I think Poitras needs a spot?

I also admit to some bias as a hockey coach (coaching first year bantam this year) and I can't remember a NHL player who has his stick at his knees more often than Geekie. Constantly surprised when the puck comes to him. Reminds me of having to constantly yell at 4 of my kids about it.

He's fine. I think Heinen gives you more.
Freddy-Poitras-Heinen is a line I could get behind.

Reactions: Ladyfan

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
All about the $$$$. Don’t ask me why bUT 55 is better and more physical in the NHL than the AHL
He is - I’ve been impressed

Mike Keenan took Adam Creighton (former Bruins scout) when a skilled big somewhat passive player in Chicago and turned him into a 200 PM guy

Reactions: Tbaybruin

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Why are we judging Heinen purely on goals? He's a career .18 goals per game in the regular season. .13 GPG in the playoffs.

His previous playoff series for the Penguins he had 3 goals in 7 games. Does that not factor in?

If he scored at the rate you seemingly want, he wouldn't be a sub $3M player.

It's not overrated for him playing up and down the lineup, especially in the regular season (which does matter).

The issue for the Bruins wasn't Heinen in the top 6 in the playoffs (since for the most part, he wasn't). The issue was Morgan Geekie in the top 6.

Pasta scores at a 17% worse rate in the playoffs than the regular season.
Ok

• Haha
Reactions: Sheppy

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
I love Heinen but I feel like he's gonna cash out in free agency and considering we were the only team to offer him anything in FA last year, I think he's gonna go to someone who can give the prettiest penny or at least close to it.

HHHH

Feb 15, 2010
I am agreeing with a lot of what has been written above, I like Heinen as a player and at 775K he played way above his contract and was a very useful player in a season with a significant cap crunch. If he can be brought back at a reasonable number I think it would be good to keep him as he knows the system, can play on the PK and seems to mesh well with the coach.

If he can get more than $1.75 - $2 on a two or three year deal from another team and he is looking to maximize his earnings, then I would not stretch to resign him. Love #43 at a good contract, but I am guessing that some team will offer more $$ than the B's are going to be willing to pay.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
What is this guy talking about?
"The Bruins want to address their centre position this summer and are likely going to add a second-pair, right shot defenceman. Sweeney made it clear they want more fire power up front, as well. Dealing Ullmark could fill one of those needs."

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
What is this guy talking about?
"The Bruins want to address their centre position this summer and are likely going to add a second-pair, right shot defenceman. Sweeney made it clear they want more fire power up front, as well. Dealing Ullmark could fill one of those needs."
Maybe he posts here and thinks Carlo is a third pair

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I would attempt to re-sign Heinen 1.5 per two 2 years (or less if possible). He is versatile, can play up and down the lineup, is responsible, has a good work ethic and attitude. He has experience and understands the league and game situations. At worst, he would be a 13th forward. He definitely would not block a prospect from earning a roster spot. The thing is, any prospect hoping to make the team is going to have to earn the spot regardless of whom is in front of them. Heinen is a safe sign both cap wise and regarding expectations. It will all come down to money.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Or maybe he really meant the left side, where they could use another minute cruncher.
Lohrei is ready for top 4 so he was imo wrong about it

My feeling is he meant third LD but he’s covering 32 teams so it’s very difficult

Reactions: mjhfb

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Heinen has never done well in the playoffs, 48 games 6 goals- 13 pts...........move on from him
after reading all the stuff about Heinen I want him to play for free- he’s apparently not very good and by mid June he will be paying the Bruins but

Since hockey is my third sport I am excused for not knowing jack shit about the Bruins after spending an hour reading through this

I’m all in on whoever said trade Ullmark for Jarvis

I hope Sweeney or Evan Gould reads that and does the deal

Jarvis looks fast and I think he’s better than what we got

So if there was a poll and I missed it I would vote yes on Ullmark for Jarvis

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I liked Heinen and at one point was an advocate for him on the top line when he was doing good work up there.

I do think they need to find LW'ers. Marchand is nearing retirement, DeBrusk might walk, JVR is gone, and nobody in the AHL is ready for any sort of regular top 9 work in the NHL. Zacha can play LW but it's hinging on the Bruins making a big splash for a #1 center.

I'd prefer they make a play for Dakota Joshua, even if it cost more money. But I'm ok if Heinen is the fallback plan and is signed for another year.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Loved what he brought this past season, but it’s a pass for me. No more signing these bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing D. At least not until late in the offseason.

Bruins do far too much of this as an organization when they have much bigger top 6 wing/center needs they should be using their cap on.

You can get bottom 6 rentals at the deadline for 2nd/3rd/4th round picks

Reactions: bme44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad