Why the Bruins Should Re-Sign Pending Free Agent Forward Danton Heinen to a Multi-Year Extension

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Seems like he'd sign here for less than he would elsewhere - got to find value where you can. As a utility/depth forward who can play anywhere in the line up, he's as good as any cheap option you can find.
Why would you assume he would sign here for less ,that’s rarely ever true.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Talk about splitting hairs. Say Heinen is your #10 forward, one injury and he's in your Top 9.

This is a team that rolled out Jakub Lauko and his 2 goals in 60 games on it's 3rd line in the playoffs at times.

At 2.25 Heinen is 1.5 million over a guy making the minimum. Someone is occupying that roster spot.
Bingo

Reactions: BruinDust

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I guess I’m in the minority but I’d extend him. If you can get him at $2 he’s valuable and versatile. you can move him if needed but you also need depth on your roster.
People here act like it’s their money which I’m personally glad it’s not mine

I’ve looked at some of my grocery receipts and been horrified and tried to determine did I really need that box of extra toasty Cheez-its (actually yes but you get my point)

I’m Donny I’m paying Heinen 2-3 years between 2-3 M

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Why would you assume he would sign here for less ,that’s rarely ever true.
Because he stuck around without a contract till they made space for him this year weeks into the season. He also had a great year, had his best 3 years in the league here, played up in the lineup, knows the city, loves the coach, has bounced around enough to know stability is a good thing.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
At the end of the day, they have bigger fish to fry than worrying about a Danton Heinen extension.
Yeh but who eats baked haddock without a baked potato and broccoli

Danton Heinen is a good player

Donny - get it done if you already haven’t

Sweeney sits on a signings

Reactions: Ladyfan

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

I’ve looked at some of my grocery receipts and been horrified and tried to determine did I really need that box of extra toasty Cheez-its (actually yes but you get my point)

If they get to August 30 and they have 2.5 - 3 million left to offer Heinen to play on the 4th line, and be an injury replacement for lines 2/3 then they probably blew their opportunity to do big things this summer.

Again, you said your ideal third line is

Freddy, Coyle, Geekie

Heinen isn’t in the top 6….so he becomes a fourth liner who is being paid 2.5-3.0?

I just can’t see it working.

1.75-2.0 — maybe.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Because he stuck around without a contract till they made space for him this year weeks into the season. He also had a great year, had his best 3 years in the league here, played up in the lineup, knows the city, loves the coach, has bounced around enough to know stability is a good thing.
Do we know if there was interest elsewhere

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

But that was desperation to stay in the NHL on his part and he probably only got an invite here because of Sweeney and Monty.

You’d think some desperate GM might offer more, and given that he was a whisker away from playing in Europe last season, and had a lousy playoffs, he’ll probably be looking for more term and $$ than the Bruins can afford.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
I'm not sure Lauko even beats out Kuntar this fall, much less Danton Heinen. I still fail to see what people like about him.
Scored in playoffs one goal. Next game deflection off the crossbar Then benched. Guy hits and players hard. Work on discipline. Guy has potential for me and always plays hard.

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016

I was totally wrong about him this year, totally. My one issue is if he takes a step back he is a fourth liner. He’s done it before. If He wants Boston. 3x1.75 Offer it now

Yes

Yes

Reactions: sarge88

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
If they get to August 30 and they have 2.5 - 3 million left to offer Heinen to play on the 4th line, and be an injury replacement for lines 2/3 then they probably blew their opportunity to do big things this summer.

Again, you said your ideal third line is

Freddy, Coyle, Geekie

Heinen isn’t in the top 6….so he becomes a fourth liner who is being paid 2.5-3.0?

I just can’t see it working.

1.75-2.0 — maybe.
of course you can’t

Isn’t getting Joe to quit enough damage

I tell him you’re a nice guy (nicer then Glorydaze, actually not saying much lol) but he still wants to go all Jacob Trouba on you all in the name of Danton Heinen

Joe these days could play Walter White in Breaking Bad - same look, same attitude - but Danton Heinen is what fuels him

As for Heinen- no to 4th line - too good

he’s a legit third liner who can play lines 1 and 2 with skill

I’m a Brazeau fan but if I saw him 10 times in Providence I would say I made more contact going to the Fried Dough stand - right @Saxon Eric ?

Wait till Sheppy finds out Brazeau has never fought in Junior or professional hockey and went games with 0 hits in the AHL

Sorry Sarge but I’m taking Mr Congeniality Danton Heinen over the friendly Giant & Lauko

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
of course you can’t

Isn’t getting Joe to quit enough damage

I tell him you’re a nice guy (nicer then Glorydaze, actually not saying much lol) but he still wants to go all Jacob Trouba on you all in the name of Danton Heinen

Joe these days could play Walter White in Breaking Bad - same look, same attitude - but Danton Heinen is what fuels him

As for Heinen- no to 4th line - too good

he’s a legit third liner who can play lines 1 and 2 with skill

I’m a Brazeau fan but if I saw him 10 times in Providence I would say I made more contact going to the Fried Dough stand - right @Saxon Eric ?

Wait till Sheppy finds out Brazeau has never fought in Junior or professional hockey and went games with 0 hits in the AHL

Sorry Sarge but I’m taking Mr Congeniality Danton Heinen over the friendly Giant & Lauko

But…Lauko and the Friendly giant are 4th liners.

Therein lies the rub.

Who in the projected top 9 does Heinen beat out?

Being honest, aside from the fact that I’d have to watch him play hockey for another year, I’d be ok with him at 1.5 - 2.0.

But not if they bring him back for third line duty because one of Coyle, Geekie or Frederic needs to play on line 2.

I’d only want to see him back because they moved out one of Coyle, Geekie or Frederic to vastly improve the top 6, or they did something big on the back end.

Last edited:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
As someone who years ago was labelled as a "Heinen Fan Boy" I'm fine with signing him or letting him walk. It all depends on the money (like many others have said). While the 17 goal this year was awesome, do we really think that's the norm for Heinen going forward? Those 17 goals were the 2nd most of his career, as was it the 2nd high point total of his career, and it was the also highest shoot% of his career.

Last 3 years: 0.18 G/GP - 0.19 A/GP
Last year: 0.23 G/GP - 0.26 A/GP

Which Heinen are we going to get moving forward? I like that we can move him around the line-up as needed. I like that he can complement guys in the top 6 when need and also be relied on to be a PK guy for the team.

With all that said, I think some team will pay him more than he's likely worth on a 2-3 year deal.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
As someone who years ago was labelled as a "Heinen Fan Boy" I'm fine with signing him or letting him walk. It all depends on the money (like many others have said). While the 17 goal this year was awesome, do we really think that's the norm for Heinen going forward? Those 17 goals were the 2nd most of his career, as was it the 2nd high point total of his career, and it was the also highest shoot% of his career.

Last 3 years: 0.18 G/GP - 0.19 A/GP
Last year: 0.23 G/GP - 0.26 A/GP

Which Heinen are we going to get moving forward? I like that we can move him around the line-up as needed. I like that he can complement guys in the top 6 when need and also be relied on to be a PK guy for the team.

With all that said, I think some team will pay him more than he's likely worth on a 2-3 year deal.
I think players getting more than their likely worth will be the norm this summer teams have cap,space,but then it’s all about supply and demand so not really an overpayment I guess.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Danton Heinen in the post season with the Bruins.

41 games, 3 goals.

He had a nice little regular season and I had no issue with his play, but he hasn't been good come playoff time.

I'm not against an extension, but at the 1-1.25 range.

I absolutely would not. I think Brazeau will get even better.
You do realize he’s NEVER been in a fight at any level and went 2-3 games on an AHL weekend with 0.0 hits

I would not be surprised if he eats salad regularly

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
But not if they bring him back for third line duty because one of Coyle, Geekie or Frederic needs to play on line 2.

Say the Bruins had 16 million to spend on 3 forwards. Which is better?

Option A => 1 A-level forward and 1 B-level forward splitting up 14 million + Danton Heinen at 2 million.

OR

Option B => 3 B-level forwards splitting up the 16 million.

If it's me, I take Option A all day long. You get that forward they really need that slots between Pasta and Marchand as the teams #2 forward. And they get more flexibility moving forward with Heinen's lower term and lower AAV.

Signing 3 B-level forwards all age 27 or older in the same summer for significant AAV and term sounds like a recipe for disaster. Middle six forwards with term are some of the hardest contracts to move in hockey if things go south or cap space is needed.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I don't have a Lauko fathead, trust me, but I want to see more of his game before I waive him,. I do think he would get claimed. Guys like Heinen just clog that up. I am presupposing the Bruins get two legit top 6 players in here as well. He as the attributes the front office seems to be looking for minus the scoring of course, but he's a 4th liner.
There is no room for Lauko

Beecher - Boqvist- Brazeau

That is your 4th

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad