Why the Bruins Should Re-Sign Pending Free Agent Forward Danton Heinen to a Multi-Year Extension

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TooMuchMan

Sep 29, 2010
Deep Space Nine
Heinen's modest counting stats were surrounded by pretty solid peripherals (on a team that wasn't particularly loaded with play-drivers). He's a good pk and 3/4 line guy who can play up and had some not-bad chemistry with Pasta/Zacha.

If you're getting him for 1.5x2 or 2x3, he's a pretty good bargain. If you're getting above the $2.5m range annually he doesn't bring enough offense on a team pretty barren for offensive talent.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I would not mind the Bs signing Heinen. It all depends on the $$ but he wants to be here, is well liked by the boys and slots in well on any line with a smile on his face. I hear the coach likes him.

Not my decision but I hope he is here next season.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Fair enough.

I’ve just seen enough of him to be confident in saying he’s not a difference maker and what this team has proven to be lacking: secondary scoring and snarl, isn’t what he brings.

They can do better than Heinen, IMO.

Secondary scoring wasn't an issue for this team. Primary scoring on the other hand, that's a problem.

I'd rather have Heinen + A level forward than replace Heinen for a more costly player but now they can only afford Heinen replacement + B level forward. This team needs more help at the top end over the middle.

Better than Heinen is relative to his contract at the end of the day. There isn't a GM in the league who wouldn't of taken what he brought last year for 775k. It really depends on the contract for me.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Secondary scoring wasn't an issue for this team. Primary scoring on the other hand, that's a problem.

I'd rather have Heinen + A level forward than replace Heinen for a more costly player but now they can only afford Heinen replacement + B level forward. This team needs more help at the top end over the middle.

Better than Heinen is relative to his contract at the end of the day. There isn't a GM in the league who wouldn't of taken what he brought last year for 775k. It really depends on the contract for me.
I mean the guy had 17 goals playing 14 minutes a night. I agree that you don’t overpay for him but do we really think someone will?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I mean the guy had 17 goals playing 14 minutes a night. I agree that you don’t overpay for him but do we really think someone will?

There will be a fair bit of cap space league wide and some of these GMs spend their cap like it's burning a hole in their pocket. There isn't a team in the league he doesn't make deeper with maybe a couple exceptions.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

I’ll just say scoring was a problem. And, of course for 775 he was fine.

But, he’s not coming back for 775, it will likely be almost 3x that and at that rate, I want someone who projects to score more playoff goals than one per series, especially if he isn’t a 4th liner.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I’ll just say scoring was a problem. And, of course for 775 he was fine.

But, he’s not coming back for 775, it will likely be almost 3x that and at that rate, I want someone who projects to score more playoff goals than one per series, especially if he isn’t a 4th liner.

All depends on the number. Some other team may overpay. If he does come back here hopefully its not something out of line.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
All depends on the number. Some other team may overpay. If he does come back here hopefully its not something out of line.
This is what scares me . Not Knocking Heinen in any way ,but to resign him it has to be at 2mil or less or it will hurt the team going forward. Two year max

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This is what scares me . Not Knocking Heinen in any way ,but to resign him it has to be at 2mil or less or it will hurt the team going forward. Two year max

I'd be fine offering him 3 years. This team currently has just two forwards signed into the 26-27 season. You hope the added security keeps the AAV down.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I'd be fine offering him 3 years. This team currently has just two forwards signed into the 26-27 season. You hope the added security keeps the AAV down.
I am far more comfortable with Two, but I get what you are saying. He was a great for his cost this year, but not sure he does enough that I would want to commit to him for three.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Guy scores 17 with mostly top 6 minutes. What is the point of bringing him back? Vanished in the play-offs. Is going to be 29 in July. Bruins need two top 6 players (no, he isn't the answer) and the third line seems to be set in stone with 11-39-55. Fourth line you have Beecher. Want him for 4th line? I'd rather re-sign Boqvist, not waive Lauko, get some toughness and maybe even see if you can drop Brazeau to line 4 and give Merk, Lysell and Poitras a shot at line 3. Signing Heinen to a multi-year deal just doesn't make any sense to me at all. Start seeing what some of these kids have and stop putting guys like Heinen in the top 6 and find some bonafide top six players, you have the money. Would rather spend a million more on a top guy then a million or more on Heinen.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Guy scores 17 with mostly top 6 minutes. What is the point of bringing him back? Vanished in the play-offs. Is going to be 29 in July. Bruins need two top 6 players (no, he isn't the answer) and the third line seems to be set in stone with 11-39-55. Fourth line you have Beecher. Want him for 4th line? I'd rather re-sign Boqvist, not waive Lauko, get some toughness and maybe even see if you can drop Brazeau to line 4 and give Merk, Lysell and Poitras a shot at line 3. Signing Heinen to a multi-year deal just doesn't make any sense to me at all. Start seeing what some of these kids have and stop putting guys like Heinen in the top 6 and find some bonafide top six players, you have the money. Would rather spend a million more on a top guy then a million or more on Heinen.

C'mon Lou. You act like the line-up in October will be exactly the same come April, or that injuries won't occur. Like having a guy paid a couple million bucks (over half of which can be buried worst case) that can play up and down your line-up is a bad thing? On a team with a coach that loves to toss his lines in a blender. No line is set in stone with Monty behind the bench.

You can have Boqvist back too. Seriously what in the blue blazes has Brazeau or Lauko done to warrant a roster spot over Heinen, a more effective, more productive, and proven player? I have no issue pushing either of Brazeau or Lauko off the roster. There's what, 2 1/2 year age difference in Brazeau and Heinen. Lauko is 24 and has 8 goals to his name. I'm fine if neither Brazeau or Lauko are back next year. At least Brazeau is unique, Lauko is an absolute plug.

I'll take Heinen at 2 mill over Lauko or Brazeau at 775k any day of the week and twice on Sundays. That number in between isn't going to make or break anything.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
C'mon Lou. You act like the line-up in October will be exactly the same come April, or that injuries won't occur. Like having a guy paid a couple million bucks (over half of which can be buried worst case) that can play up and down your line-up is a bad thing? On a team with a coach that loves to toss his lines in a blender. No line is set in stone with Monty behind the bench.

You can have Boqvist back too. Seriously what in the blue blazes has Brazeau or Lauko done to warrant a roster spot over Heinen, a more effective, more productive, and proven player? I have no issue pushing either of Brazeau or Lauko off the roster. There's what, 2 1/2 year age difference in Brazeau and Heinen. Lauko is 24 and has 8 goals to his name. I'm fine if neither Brazeau or Lauko are back next year. At least Brazeau is unique, Lauko is an absolute plug.

I'll take Heinen at 2 mill over Lauko or Brazeau at 775k any day of the week and twice on Sundays. That number in between isn't going to make or break anything.
The jury is still out on Brazeau and Lauko. You know what Heinen is,. Guy who can fill in up and down the lineup who's performance is solely dictated by his linemates that vanishes in the post season. Lauko the plug still managed to score a goal in the play-offs this go round. Paying Heinen 2 mil because they have plenty of cap space is ridiculous and Chairelli-esque. Lauko has played the equivilent of one NHL season and the book is already written on him? Lets try to groom some new players that might actually be good in the play-offs when it matters.

He’s a good complimentary player. The kind all teams can use to fill the roster. Like others have said it boils down to how much $.

I dont think anyone knows what can be offered to anyone until the Swayman domino falls first.
That's basically the Bruins roster in a nutshell after the top 4.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The jury is still out on Brazeau and Lauko. You know what Heinen is,. Guy who can fill in up and down the lineup who's performance is solely dictated by his linemates that vanishes in the post season. Lauko the plug still managed to score a goal in the play-offs this go round. Paying Heinen 2 mil because they have plenty of cap space is ridiculous and Chairelli-esque. Lauko has played the equivilent of one NHL season and the book is already written on him? Lets try to groom some new players that might actually be good in the play-offs when it matters.

That's basically the Bruins roster in a nutshell after the top 4.

They did come a win away from a cup with Heinen as a 3rd line fixture.

With their season on the line, Monty still preferred to dress a cooked JVR on his 4th line over Lauko who he doesn't trust. He's 24 and yeah, there is a good chance the book on Lauko is already written. He's shown nothing in the past two seasons to indicate he's anything more than what he is. The vast majority of 24 year old NHLers are what they are. There are guys his age just as good (if not better) already plying their trade over in Europe. What makes Lauko special? Where was his invite to the Czech team once the season ended?

Chiarelli-esque? Let's say worst-case, Heinen regresses big time and he's sent to the AHL on a 2 million per year contract. It's like 800k against the cap. Your splitting hairs at that point.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I would go 2/5 or 3/7.5

I’m a big fan

He’s better than he’s ever been and playing confident knowing Monty his college coach believes

I’d get this done today

I’m sure Sarge will tell me otherwise but I’m as set in my opinion as he is in his

Go Danton !!!!!

All I’ll say is that it depends on how many top 6 guys they bring in.

If they truly provide us with a top 9 that is cup worthy, he’s out and that doesn’t mean I’m saying he can’t be a third liner on a cup contender.

What I’m saying is that, as you have posted recently, a possible third line of Freddy, Coyle and Geekie, would be pretty great. (All are signed already)

I don’t see anyone saying Heinen should be in the top 6, even among his most ardent supporters.

That means he’s destined for 4th line duty if he’s here (or as a fill in for injuries) but, to make the top 9 what the should be, I can’t see how they can afford a $2.25-2.50 guy that low on the roster.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
All I’ll say is that it depends on how many top 6 guys they bring in.

If they truly provide us with a top 9 that is cup worthy, he’s out and that doesn’t mean I’m saying he can’t be a third liner on a cup contender.

What I’m saying is that, as you have posted recently, a possible third line of Freddy, Coyle and Geekie, would be pretty great. (All are signed already)

I don’t see anyone saying Heinen should be in the top 6, even among his most ardent supporters.

That means he’s destined for 4th line duty if he’s here….but, to make the top 9 what the should be, I can’t see how they can afford a $2.25-2.50 guy that low on the roster.

Talk about splitting hairs. Say Heinen is your #10 forward, one injury and he's in your Top 9.

This is a team that rolled out Jakub Lauko and his 2 goals in 60 games on it's 3rd line in the playoffs at times.

At 2.25 Heinen is 1.5 million over a guy making the minimum. Someone is occupying that roster spot.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
They did come a win away from a cup with Heinen as a 3rd line fixture.

With their season on the line, Monty still preferred to dress a cooked JVR on his 4th line over Lauko who he doesn't trust. He's 24 and yeah, there is a good chance the book on Lauko is already written. He's shown nothing in the past two seasons to indicate he's anything more than what he is. The vast majority of 24 year old NHLers are what they are. There are guys his age just as good (if not better) already plying their trade over in Europe. What makes Lauko special? Where was his invite to the Czech team once the season ended?

Chiarelli-esque? Let's say worst-case, Heinen regresses big time and he's sent to the AHL on a 2 million per year contract. It's like 800k against the cap. Your splitting hairs at that point.
Come on, five years ago, with a pretty good top 5.. Let's reacquire Mojo as well. Guy couldn't even get a contract this summer and capitalized on top 6 ice time. What other team was giving him top 6 ice time? Teams that suck didn't even want him. He had a good year, thank you for your service and enjoy wherever. Management needs to worry about filling in that top 6 then go bargain basement shopping again, Heinen is/was a good soldier, move these UFA out now and find some guys that can hopefully up their game when it matters.

As for Lauko he just turned 24. He can't develop as a good 4th liner? He's played 83 NHL games.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Nice article but pass

Bruins have enough October-March players, no reason to keep the ones they can let leave for free
Lou you said it for me, Heinen is not a great playoff player, but many Bruins who have less experience in the playoffs get criticized for playoff performance, but also must consider he never puts back to back seasons together. That article was trying to be a little slick by saying he is still young at 28 , but failed to mention he will be 29 in July..........I think there are better options out there, and if a young kid steps up, lets not block him with a Heinen.

Reactions: bruinsfan1968

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Heinen is an example of a “warm body” being a good thing. You know what he’s going to give you. Solid, won't make many mistakes, but rarely wows you. Doesn’t need to. He plays his role well and can be moved up and down the lineup and still perform at a similar pace.

He’ll have some interest for sure but I absolutely bring him back if the price is right. Better him than an unknown. Great 3rd liner who can fill in anywhere as/when needed.

Reactions: Ladyfan

False Start

May 8, 2018
Heinen played so well this season most were very surprised he didn't win the 7th Player Award.
What a difference a month makes.
I think he got injured and his play was significantly worse.

There's also a chance that while he played his role well in the regular season, the playoffs were a different animal for him. Faster, tighter checking, and he didn't adapt well.

Perhaps that month made him cheaper, back to the 2.2 million range.

He's valuable, good PKer, role player that CAN play up the lineup (Like Debrusk). If we can get him on a value deal, we should sign him.

Think of him as an insurance signing. Boston doesn't WANT to use him in the top six but if and when someone gets dinged up, he can fill in admirably.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Come on, five years ago, with a pretty good top 5.. Let's reacquire Mojo as well. Guy couldn't even get a contract this summer and capitalized on top 6 ice time. What other team was giving him top 6 ice time? Teams that suck didn't even want him. He had a good year, thank you for your service and enjoy wherever. Management needs to worry about filling in that top 6 then go bargain basement shopping again, Heinen is/was a good soldier, move these UFA out now and find some guys that can hopefully up their game when it matters.

As for Lauko he just turned 24. He can't develop as a good 4th liner? He's played 83 NHL games.

Mojo looked really good for Sweden at the Worlds. From what I saw, Lauko couldn't carry Ondrej Kase's jockstrap.

Lauko is a complete plug. At 24 most NHL teams would of already given up on him but we all know Sweeney holds onto guys he drafted a lot longer than most GMs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad