Why the Bruins Should Re-Sign Pending Free Agent Forward Danton Heinen to a Multi-Year Extension

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
btw one myth we can all collectively dispel in here, is the myth of 2.25M being too much to pay Heinen to play on the 4th.

He'll PK
He'll PP if you need
But most importantly, the second anyone is hurt in the top 9 he's moving up. So he's going to play the 4th line for what...20 games maybe?

So let's please not get too bogged down over 2.25M being too much if that's the number.
Pass. That's money you put towards top players. If you can get two top 6 players, a good LHD and lock up Swayman and you have some disposable income, go ahead.

You want him top 9? Trade Geekie then. I want Poitras on the team. At center. UFA-Coyle-Poitras-Beecher/UFA... Wings, left side Marchand, Zacha, Freddy....Right side Pasta-UFA-Geekie-Brazeau.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
You can also add 31 GMs who have a clue about his value, and that he is why he was on PTO, now that I think of it make that 32 GMs, because he had to sign a PTO. You can put me in the there is better value out there than Heinen, sorry not a fan.
Why did 32 GMs pass on Brady 199 or 24 GMs on Pastrnak- or Swayman 110

we don’t agree on much wherever that means so I’m not surprised

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
I don't think you can have a lineup with DeBrusk, Marchand, Lindholm, Pastrnak, Stephenson, Zacha and Coyle in it that still has all 3 of Geekie, Frederic, Heinen and
is cap compliant and I think that's the type of top 7 forwards they are going to need
to compete to win the Cup.

May even require you dumping Peeke and seeing if you can pick up a RD vet 3rd pair like Shattenkirk for $1M

I don't think all the guys you listed will be in the lineup next year. That's me.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Probably not worth quoting Sweeney or Neely on any of these player deals. They gave reactionary, boiler plate answers as per usual. The team had trouble scoring goals against Florida ergo they need secondary scoring. Blah blah blah. Last season the team needed to be bigger and tougher. They got that, now it needs to be faster and more skilled. Blah blah blah. Heinen will be back if his ask isn't too high, and I hope he is. If he comes in under 3 for 3 or 4 years, its good value. If he wants a big payday, adios. Not too different than the situation with JDB, really.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Apples to oranges as none of them had played a single game at a major league level. Heinen was in the NHL at least 4 years.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Good to know majority here think this team is so good and deep they don’t need Heinen

Kinda odd since all I read for 3 weeks how Pastrnak is one dimensional and soft, trade McAvoy before NMC kicks in, Carlo a third pair, Zacha is not a top 6, DeBrusk blames everyone for anything and is immature, Lindholm I could write a 5 season Netflix on his negative aspects, Ullmark cares more about his children’s happiness than ours, Coyle disappears in the playoffs, Geekie I can’t even put together all the things he’s not good at - but to summarize he’s being used at center or to high in lineup

Sweeney has his own thread detailing his incompetence

But Danton Heinen can be replaced by someone better ?

someone better :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Apples to oranges as none of them had played a single game at a major league level. Heinen was in the NHL at least 4 years.
I’m not surprised people know undervalue of under appreciate Heinen

wait till they see DeBrusk’s contract between term and money we will be able to get thru the summer

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
A 6'2 former western leaguer in his prime at 28, who was +16 and averaged half a point a game last year on a top team, played up and down the lineup in all situations, was no drama, and almost won their team award for unsung hero. A lot of teams would be happy to have him for the right price.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Heinen had a good year and I wouldn't be too upset if he came back at the right price but I think stylistically, the Bruins need more aggressive skaters. Heinen will do well for himself on the open market.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Sorry about the cheap shot I’m Team Heinen and the enemy of Heinen is my enemy has been taken to far

Apologies
I was so wrong about him. My issue is consistency. A year ago not one team wanted him. He proved everyone wrong. Can he be consistent for 3 more years? Terrible in the PO, I assume he was hurt more than we thought. 3 x 1.75 for me

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I’m not surprised people know undervalue of under appreciate Heinen

wait till they see DeBrusk’s contract between term and money we will be able to get thru the summer
I like Heinen quite a bit and don't think I undervalue him. However, if you want to build
a top 7 forward group like I did in a previous post then something is going to have to give with at least one of Heinen, Frederic or Geekie. They all bring some terrific NHL qualities at 2.0-2.5M that teams would really like to have.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

You are talking about draft aged kids, not a NHL experienced player, no comparison.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Good to know majority here think this team is so good and deep they don’t need Heinen

Kinda odd since all I read for 3 weeks how Pastrnak is one dimensional and soft, trade McAvoy before NMC kicks in, Carlo a third pair, Zacha is not a top 6, DeBrusk blames everyone for anything and is immature, Lindholm I could write a 5 season Netflix on his negative aspects, Ullmark cares more about his children’s happiness than ours, Coyle disappears in the playoffs, Geekie I can’t even put together all the things he’s not good at - but to summarize he’s being used at center or to high in lineup

Sweeney has his own thread detailing his incompetence

But Danton Heinen can be replaced by someone better ?

someone better :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Assuming this is the top 9
(Which it should be to contend)

Zacha - UFA - Pasta
Marchand - UFA - JDB/Replacement
Freddy - Coyle - Geekie

Who does he replace and where does that guy go?

Not better than Zacha, Pasta, Marchand, JDB, Frederic or Geekie (and even if a case were made about Freddy or Geekie, they are already signed, so they’d need to be moved out or to the 2nd line, which isn’t ideal because they aren’t second line talent).

Sure he can play on the 4th line, but if they improve the top 6 as they should, how much do you think they can pay 4th liners.

If the Bruins do this right, they bring in 3 top 6 guys (or 2 and JDB) and have maybe a million or 1.5 in cap space to start the season.

Having third liners on the second line is not doing it right.

Signing extra and redundant guys for middle six, is not doing it right.

Use the cap space and develop a team that is much better than one we saw this spring.

And, lastly, if Heinen were signed for 2 million next season and Geekie or Frederic were UFA, I’d be saying the same thing and suggesting they let the one who is UFA walk.

IMO they have 4 third liners for three spots. Based on contract situation, Heinen is the odd man out, unless he wants to play for far less than most think he’s worth.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Assuming this is the top 9
(Which it should be to contend)

Zacha - UFA - Pasta
Marchand - UFA - JDB/Replacement
Freddy - Coyle - Geekie

Who does he replace and where does that guy go?

Not better than Zacha, Pasta, Marchand, JDB, Frederic or Geekie (and even if a case were made about Freddy or Geekie, they are already signed, so they’d need to be moved out or to the 2nd line, which isn’t ideal because they aren’t second line talent).

Sure he can play on the 4th line, but if they improve the top 6 as they should, how much do you think they can pay 4th liners.

If the Bruins do this right, they bring in 3 top 6 guys (or 2 and JDB) and have maybe a million or 1.5 in cap space to start the season.

Having third liners on the second line is not doing it right.

Signing extra and redundant guys for middle six, is not doing it right.

Use the cap space and develop a team that is much better than one we saw this spring.

And, lastly, if Heinen were signed for 2 million next season and Geekie or Frederic were UFA, I’d be saying the same thing and suggesting they let the one who is UFA walk.

IMO they have 4 third liners for three spots. Based on contract situation, Heinen is the odd man out, unless he wants to play for far less than most think he’s worth.
This 100%.

If you could promise Heinen something in the org post playing career, I would go
$1M for 8 years. Seems like the type of dude that would be good in coaching, player development or scouting.

It would never happen but I do like his game.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
One of my biggest concerns with letting Heinen walk is that you also look to be losing both Gryz and JDB ths summer. That leaves a very big hole in the whipping boy slot that is going to have to be filled,

Peake will still be here and heaven forbid they bring in a guy who has won a fight or two but isn’t as fast as McDavid, then that guy will also do.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
A05FEC22-982E-4F09-BF33-6E817BDAAA04.jpeg

Nice!!!

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Coyle
Marchand
Zacha
Pasta
Geekie
Beecher
Freddy
Brazeau
------------
Poitras?
Heinen?
Lauko?
Boqvist?
Gotta keep some guys they are in deep shit

Heinen a start & thankfully

Bruins and DeBrusk far from over

Bruins offer 6 years best he can get is 7 years

Bruins at 6 can tweek up he’s offered 7+

Bruins have Pastrnak as only winger on roster under 30 who’s scored at least 25 goals in a season

DeBrusk has done it 3 times

They have no one in the system even close to this

Frederic, Geekie, Beecher, ? No one UNDER 30

That ain’t good

So I wouldn’t consider them moving on

Geekie UFA 2025
Frederic 2025

By this time in 365 days

Marchand going to be 38
Coyle going to be 34
PASTRNAK
Zacha UFA 2026

Poitras
Lauko
Beecher

And people don’t want to give Heinen a multi year deal

Players BOLD up by one year today

MARCHAND- Coyle - DEBRUSK

Pastrnak- Zacha- HEINEN

FREDERIC- Poitras - GEEKIE

It’s f***en horrible

Um, secure DeBrusk and Heinen and worry about Geekie & Frederic next offseason

Frederic is either getting a bag or leaving

Geekie I like but I’m sure folks here want him to play for 1 M lol

• Haha
Reactions: bruinsfan1968

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
This 100%.

If you could promise Heinen something in the org post playing career, I would go
$1M for 8 years. Seems like the type of dude that would be good in coaching, player development or scouting.

It would never happen but I do like his game.
they lose for being cheap 2024
DeBrusk
Heinen

Lose in 2025
Frederic
Geekie

Top 9

Marchand 38 Coyle 34 Brazeau??

Lauko- Zacha- Pastrnak

We got a check line

Third line

Beecher - Poitras - ????

Looks good

• Haha
Reactions: bruinsfan1968

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Geekie is the Bruin that to me could have the most Marchand-like arc.

He flashes a skillset where you say OK! if he puts it all together he's got top 6 ceiling. I just don't know if he will. But I want to find out.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
they lose for being cheap 2024
DeBrusk
Heinen

Lose in 2025
Frederic
Geekie

Top 9

Marchand 38 Coyle 34 Brazeau??

Lauko- Zacha- Pastrnak

We got a check line

Third line

Beecher - Poitras - ????

Looks good
I would rather spend on guys like DeBrusk ($6M), Stephenson (5.75M) and
Lindholm ($7M). If that means one of Geekie, Heinen or Frederic goes, its the price of upgrading your top 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad