Why is Tortorella not popular amongst fans?

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
he’s a certain type of coach that thrives with a certain type of roster. I think he’s a great coach and gets the most out of his players. but he has a shelf life and there have been stories of internally burning bridges per se, some players really don’t like playing for him and want to leave his team.

it’s a cycle where you have a coach like torts who is very strict and needs things his way et al. that leads to a more player oriented coach where players don’t feel so confined, but eventually the lack of structure leads to the need of a torts like coach. rinse and repeat. a year or two after switching into each of those styles is where teams are best. they still have some of the good habits from the previous coach but the nuances from the new coach and you get a little bit of both and the team thrives. but this lasts only 2 or 3 seasons.

people care way too much about personality. as long as the guy isn’t breaking the rules of the game or the law outside the game, he can be the biggest asshole on the planet for all I care. as long as he’s doing his job, why does it matter what kind of person he is? I’m here to watch the team hopefully win games/a championship, not get a tutorial on how to win the lady byng.

tl:dr he’s a great coach in general, though he thrives under specific circumstances. from what I’ve seen most people don’t like him for reasons outside of his coaching.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
.500 at Halloween isn't even a fast start.
But they'd certainly take it this season. :biglaugh:

Current at .214 - 3rd worst in the league, and with a fully healthy roster. Guess the shelf life for Torts was only two years this time.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
People hate retreads, even when they're great. Torts has a Cup and continued success but people want new coaches who almost always flame out. Quinn with the Rangers, Woodcroft with the Oilers etc. I heard the same as a Panthers fan when they hired Maurice, so many "why would you hire that dinosaur" posts. Maybe because he's good at his job? Fans act like 100% of GMs are idiots when it's closer to 15%.

Rangers fans were miserable when we hired Lavi even though he's one of the most successful head coaches of all time. Predictably he's our best HC since...Torts.

Bender Duster

Sep 16, 2024
Winnipeg
USATSI_21845969-1-1024x683.jpg

Because he dresses to coach an NHL game like I dress to rake my leaves.

Bard Marchand

Oct 24, 2023
Flyers fans expectations are too high after last year's overperformance. They are playing about as well as to be expected with their roster. No real 1C, not even a 2C, lacking a true 1D (Sanheim ain't it, guys), have some truly awful plugs stuck in the lineup (Zamula, Risto, and yes, Couturier) and Ivan Fedotov couldn't stop a beach ball right now.

It's just easy to blame the coach when team is losing, though.

Reactions: GrkFlyersFan

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
His ego is often detrimental to creating a winning culture. Which is why he's been fired like 8 times in the past two decades.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
He's an amazing human being, he's also flawed and you see it more with him than other coaches because he puts himself out there more. He's a high quality human being and after what he did for Gaudreaus father it made me love him even more, its just that HF its a bunch of judgemental snow flakes. Tortz is old school and I love it, I would take him on the Sens in a heart beat.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
He is 5 foot 8 and talks like he is 6'5 and 230 pounds of solid muscle. He is probably too honest with the media and typically grumpy and combative with them so he comes across as someone with a bad attitude. I have feeling though that away from the spotlight he is probably a great guy who will do anything for his players and will do anything to make his players the best they can be, and make the team the best it can be. I bet any player that puts in the work day in and day out has no problems with him at all.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
He has more power than just being the coach. He might as well be the Flyers Chief Hockey Philosopher. He decides the direction of any hockey related aspects of the organization. Maybe expectations are too high after two years(especially last year) of overachieving. Now a lot of people want him fired as the team has opened on a cold streak. 6 game winless streak after an Opening Night win. Basically, this is everyone's first real chance to blame him, and they are taking it because he puts a target on his back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad