Why is Tortorella not popular amongst fans?

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
I like a league in which Tortorella is coaching ... a rival team.

I like his candor, his short fuse and his contempt for others. He's a great heel to root against. When he's gone for good, I'll miss him.

Bowski

Taking out the trash.
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
He's ultimately a
200w.gif

Great SC win 20 years ago a-hole.
Go rub knobs with your player-ruining buddy from a decade before:
MV5BMTRlN2I0YWItOWJlYy00YjE1LTg1NjEtMGQwOTE2MDZhYTNmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
His tenure in Vancouver was definitely rough, especially the Lack/Luongo heritage classic moment

Not sure if even really wanted to be there, I heard he slept at the arena or something lol

He admitted in an interview couple years ago that his Vancouver experience was not great. Basically, he wanted to get back into coaching but he didn't experience the whole west coast travel experience unlike the east. Also, his mold didn't fit the players at the time as that core was getting stale and he called them out in the media. I'm sure that didn't go well with management and ownership.

Also, basically Torts was just here collecting checks as his 'coaching' or lack there off was just barking orders to his players and assistants. Torts actually lived in Point Roberts, Washington which is small community south of Delta, BC. Apparently he never came to much of the practices in the morning because 'it was too far from downtown Vancouver' whatever the heck. The Torts hire was purely on our craptacular owner, Francesco Aquilini whom Canucks fans on here or anywhere aren't fond of.

Anyways, Mike Gillis got canned and Torts was out the door after that horrendous year. We hired Trevor Linden as team president and then we infamously hired Jim 'learning on the fly as GM' Benning.

....and you can guess how that turned out. I'm sure Jim Benning won't dare to step foot in Vancouver again after his 'reign of error'.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
The one thing that concerns me as a Flyer fan is he might make our team be better then we really are....he does a great job with very little...our roster is made for a bottom 5 finish and a chance to get another solid prospect this upcoming year....but if he continues to have them play above their heads, we are going to end up in the mushy middle and that is the worse place to be.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
The one thing that concerns me as a Flyer fan is he might make our team be better then we really are....he does a great job with very little...our roster is made for a bottom 5 finish and a chance to get another solid prospect this upcoming year....but if he continues to have them play above their heads, we are going to end up in the mushy middle and that is the worse place to be.

Just remember the opposite, if the Flyers created a loser culture like the Oilers and drafted a couple stars (lost on purpose and gained high draft picks) but everyone else was ingrained in a loser mentality... and the whole team still sucks because of culture.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Seems like a lot of guys like him and seems like a pretty upfront kind of person.

But his style of coaching is the antithesis of exciting hockey games, and ultimately won't lead to much success in the current game.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
This new generation (my generation) of kids grew up where feelings matter more than truth/results. If someone is mean to you and critiquing you, he's a bad person. Catering to sensitivity rather than focusing on success/competence. We end up with a group that will accept failure but not accept criticism unless they're being coddled.

Then you got Torts who doesn't tolerate bullshit, yells, calls people out, demands results and is a tough old school guy, of course they won't like him.

Reactions: AndreRoy

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Would Torts still be a genius if he got his wish and Sanheim was playing for some other team this year?

Without his 8 points in 7 games and 26 minutes a night, I'm sure the Flyers would still be doing amazing.

Reactions: Rich Nixon

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
We have way too many Charlie Brown's in here thinking the fast start is legit. See last year for reference.

charlie brown thanksgiving GIF by Peanuts

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Would Torts still be a genius if he got his wish and Sanheim was playing for some other team this year?

Without his 8 points in 7 games and 26 minutes a night, I'm sure the Flyers would still be doing amazing.

Yeah, again, for all the "Young people are p***yes!" guys: the thing is more that he's a kinda shitty talent evaluator and rash about how quickly he'll try to throw away guys that he doesn't know how to use.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winston Wolf

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
He was the best Rangers coach since I started watching until Laviolette. And Laviolette is still TBD. That said his teams were boring as shit. But he used their talents appropriately as they weren't that talented and had a HOF goalie.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Because sometimes, often times, he’s just unnecessarily being a dick in press conferences and to certain members of the media who are just doing their jobs. No reason for it and it’s childish.

Reactions: Curufinwe

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Because sometimes, often times, he’s just unnecessarily being a dick in press conferences and to certain members of the media who are just doing their jobs. No reason for it and it’s childish.

A majority of the time he is a "dick" to those reporters who ask stupid questions and/or are pushing his buttons on purpose...

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
A majority of the time he is a "dick" to those reporters who ask stupid questions and/or are pushing his buttons on purpose...
Actually no. He’s pretty much short with everyone, especially during the playoffs. And even if the person is asking a “stupid question”, the correct response isn’t to belittle that person in public. Again, complete dick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad