Why is Tortorella not popular amongst fans?

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Off the ice Torts is a great person. He cares about people in the military. Not in a phony “thanks for your service” but vote for candidates who cut benefits to veterans kind of way, but in a genuine way. His son is an Army Ranger. He also loves dogs. He and his wife have a foundation.

As a hockey figure, he is incredibly popular in Columbus. Pretty much any success the Jackets ever had was under Torts.

I don’t know what happened in the end, but it seemed like Jarmo wanted one kind of team and Torts wanted another. Jarmo had more power so Torts decided to move on. The Jarmo vision isn’t working.

As for the TV stuff, to me it seemed like he was hired to entertain so he gave people what the network thought they wanted. It never seemed genuine.

Reactions: Hoek and thebus88

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Torts one year in Vancouver was a disaster, off the ice he was great in the community.
One the ice, the results were terrible. He admitted couple years ago that he never tried nor worked hard in Vancouver, all he did was collect checks and walk his dog on the scenic seawall. He did call out the team saying they were stale, which was true at the time but we were in salary cap hell at that point.

He's good short term but not long term.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
One playoff series win in a decade. There's not much proof his style works in the postseason in the modern, much more faster, NHL.

Don't really see the hype. The Flyers didn't try and tank and were 7th worst in the NHL last season. Bit of gun jumping to celebrate 7 points in 6 GP thus far, they'll likely be well out of the Playoffs again. They definitely need to make sure they have a different coach before Michkov arrives or Torts will likely exile him back to Russia after the first preseason game.
The modern Lightning team adopted his style and won back-to-back Cups with it, after coming up short repeatedly with a faster-paced attacking game.

Again, Torts gets hired to turn around crap teams with little in the way of quality players - just because his teams don’t have the talent to go deep in the playoffs doesn’t mean his style can’t be (or hasn’t been) effective with better personnel.

Reactions: thebus88

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
I don't mind him, best of the hard nose guys. Basically Keenan without the woo about not practicing power plays.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
The dude can do his job. Flyers' roster is probably bottom 6 in the whole league, but the team's results are much better than this.
The Flyers started better last year and we had this same thread last year.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The modern Lightning team adopted his style and won back-to-back Cups with it, after coming up short repeatedly with a faster-paced attacking game.

Again, Torts gets hired to turn around crap teams with little in the way of quality players - just because his teams don’t have the talent to go deep in the playoffs doesn’t mean his style can’t be (or hasn’t been) effective with better personnel.
“Heads I win, tails you lose “

His teams win - he gets all the praise for the “system”

His teams lose - there wasn’t enough talent, or if there is, they just didn’t have enough machismo to execute the system.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

His teams lose - there wasn’t enough talent, or if there is, they just didn’t have enough machismo to execute the system.
I ask you again: what Torts-coached team in recent years would you say had the talent to go deep in the playoffs? For all you run your mouth you keep conveniently ducking that question.

Reactions: Voight

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
A lot of player-friendly coaches are clueless and don’t last, or the veterans walk all over them. A common denominator for nearly all winning coaches is they command respect regardless of how overt their style is. Coach K, Dean Smith, Dusty Baker, Bochy, Cooper all have their angry moments and practiced occasional blame displacement. Not every player liked playing for them.

In Torts’ case with Philly, they literally needed a harder hand, except he’s not passive-aggressive like Vigneault and he’s nowhere near as abrasive as he was in New York or Vancouver. He still has a temper but it’s clearly the exception nowadays.

Believe or not, many players still like and perform better for tough, demanding coaches.

I love seeing Tortorella’s passion.

Yeah he yells and gets emotional. But that doesn’t make him a bad guy or coach. That’s his style.

I understand there are lines that coaches can go over, but what’s the “bad” stuff about Tortorella? That he overreacted and went after a coach during intermission? That he didn’t get along with dickhead Tony D’Angelo?

I like that he’s still in the league. Was convinced he was finished after the Vancouver fiasco. But at the end of the day, when he doesn’t have a team that’s performing, the “dinosaur” labels come out. Just like they do for pretty much all coaches in his position that have been around a while.

I think the “crowd” that apparently doesn’t like him for his demeanor and attitude is far, far smaller than implied. The narrative that tons of people hate him because of his attitude feels very forced.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
If you’re saying that, are you not just tearing down your own “heads I win, tails you lose” argument?
No, because I'm not the one that made the presumptive statement that Torts style is
proven to work in the postseason;
Of which the burden of proof is on the original poster to show, given I rebutted the statement by showing he has only won one single playoff series in the last decade, the original claimer's counter to that was to somehow giving him credit for the Lightning winning 2020 and 2021, which is just ridiculous.

Not sure how to prove a negative, which is essentially asking me to prove it DOESN'T work in the postseason when the original poster is the one that made a positive normative statement that it in fact is proven TO work in the postseason.

Hence me pointing the original poster has set out a situation that is impossible for their claim to be rebutted, because when there is winning, it proves the success of Tort's system, when there is not winning, it is also not the proving of the counter, because they will retreat to "the players are not talented enough".

Hence, my claim of "heads I win, tails you lose". No matter what, Torts looks good. Either the system works or the players stink. Either way, Torts looks good in the eyes of the Torts Truthers.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
It's not that he's not popular, polarizing is a better word.

Most fans that dislike him are either fans from rival teams, fans of that one team he specifically called out for being pampered by the league or people who just have a dislike for people who tend to speak their mind.

Regardless of his coaching ability, I will always like Torts for staying true to himself, being a genuinely caring human being and for just being a no nonsense type of coach.

On a personal note , he reminds me of one of my old coaches a lot who on the surface may have been abrasive but once you dug deeper you'd find that there was always purpose behind everything he did and said.

I suppose some don't have the patience for that
type of person and want immediate gratification.

Last edited:

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I dont buy the negative stuff about him.

His "short shelf life" is pretty much overblown.

His stints with teams are pretty long. He gets results. Players love him. He's entertaining. A good human being by all accounts.

Idk, I personally think he does a good job

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Love Torts, he's entertaining and the man knows how to coach
Sure but he also wears out his welcome really fast.

When he came to the Canucks I gave him the benefit of doubt, mainly after hearing him on an interview saying he was driving cross country to come here with his rescue dogs, but his time in Vancouver was too much about him.

LevelingSolo

Jan 15, 2012
Sure but he also wears out his welcome really fast.

When he came to the Canucks I gave him the benefit of doubt, mainly after hearing him on an interview saying he was driving cross country to come here with his rescue dogs, but his time in Vancouver was too much about him.
His tenure in Vancouver was definitely rough, especially the Lack/Luongo heritage classic moment

Not sure if even really wanted to be there, I heard he slept at the arena or something lol

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

You should look into the teams that Torts’ CBJ teams lost to in the playoffs and how far they ended up going. Also pretty ridiculous to downplay that 1 series they did win.

Not to mention both the quality of team and his “system” changed quite drastically at times over his time coaching the CBJ, when the team was able to execute in different ways.

He wasn’t a perfect coach in Columbus, and I did question his lineup decision's more than a few times, but, he did more than what should have been expected from him coaching those teams and the fact they were essentially playoff “locks” and made the playoffs every single year they actually should have, not to mention what the team has looked like after he left, says more than enough.

Reactions: abo9 and koteka

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
No, because I'm not the one that made the presumptive statement that Torts style is

Of which the burden of proof is on the original poster to show, given I rebutted the statement by showing he has only won one single playoff series in the last decade, the original claimer's counter to that was to somehow giving him credit for the Lightning winning 2020 and 2021, which is just ridiculous.

Not sure how to prove a negative, which is essentially asking me to prove it DOESN'T work in the postseason when the original poster is the one that made a positive normative statement that it in fact is proven TO work in the postseason.

Hence me pointing the original poster has set out a situation that is impossible for their claim to be rebutted, because when there is winning, it proves the success of Tort's system, when there is not winning, it is also not the proving of the counter, because they will retreat to "the players are not talented enough".

Hence, my claim of "heads I win, tails you lose". No matter what, Torts looks good. Either the system works or the players stink. Either way, Torts looks good in the eyes of the Torts Truthers.

Forgive me while I cry

Reactions: koteka

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad