Why did nobody respond to the hit by Adam Mair ---I mean, Radko Gudas?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
No, they didn't.

Watch the video. Ryder gives him a nudge and Wideman comes in after the fact and says something to him. Other than that, zip, zilch, nada. Nothing from Thornton, nothing from Lucic, nothing from nobody.

The next time they played, after weeks of hearing about how hey didn't respond to the hit at the time, Thornton did the obligatory fight, and they said that's that, he paid the piper.

Hunwick Ryder Wideman Lucic. Only Ryder saw it. Regardless Lucic should have responded. He didn't. And the Bruins ended up getting hit with 4 straight losses vs the Flyers after going up 3-0 in that series. Historic let down.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
They loss to the flyers was due to the lack of immediate response to Savard? That has to be one of the wildest explanations for what happened.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
They loss to the flyers was due to the lack of immediate response to Savard? That has to be one of the wildest explanations for what happened.

Or perhaps no response to Mike Richards knocking Krejci out of the series (with no response). Is there a way to measure this?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
This. If you are the victim of a cheap shot, & you start to come to, what do you prefer to see, your teammates sipping slurpeees by the bench or gloves on the ice while a teammate throws down some justice? If you as a fan say that doesn't matter, then that's your opinion & it's your right, but we come from different cultures.

If you want to argue the actual point, that's fine, let's do it. But what's the point of presenting one side as it is and the other with a completely hypothetical taken to absurd levels?

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Or perhaps no response to Mike Richards knocking Krejci out of the series (with no response). Is there a way to measure this?

That was a pretty clean hit, though, iirc. DK was unfortunate to have his wrist in a bad position at time of impact. Not the same as a cheap shot to the head.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I'm big on 'fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me' and then proceed I've had enough of this BS and time to bring the heat. Glad to see the NHL did this with this ahole. Next time he's probably looking at double digits. In true chicken **** form this guy passed on a hearing bag probably went from 5 to 6.

Let's see if he understands what learned behavior is

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Who was it that beat up Aaron Rome again?

Oh the story on that is epic.

The beatdown was the greatest ever delivered in sports.

It was 4 goals in the second 4 goals in the third and an 8-1 bludging complete with the most physical game ever witnessed. Vancouver was a bit cautious from the drop of the opening face off second period until Marchand empty netter in game 7.

That was an answer

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

It was 4 goals in the second 4 goals in the third and an 8-1 bludging complete with the most physical game ever witnessed. Vancouver was a bit cautious from the drop of the opening face off second period until Marchand empty netter in game 7.

That was an answer

That's exactly my point. Not every response is to grab the guy and pound on him.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Even for Flyers fans, I can't believe how "outraged" the majority are over this ruling.

Gudas has gotten away with SOOOOOOO MUCH for years now. He then acts like a jerk by refusing an in-person hearing (indicates to me he doesn't really care about the player he hurt) and gets his six games.

Meanwhile, you get comments like "this is a pansy league", etc. That's a damn shame. I get it's your player, but I would think you'd care about a guy learning his lesson to not seriously injure opponents on a regular basis.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Mair on Krejci was the first thing I thought of when I saw it. Have to give the guys on the ice the benefit of the doubt, don't think they saw it but they had all day to deal with it. This isn't on any individual, it's a group mentality and it's been this way for a while, have to think it comes from Julien. I had been optimistic about the new faces and the direction (even though they're presently still not great) but if this continues there needs to be more radical changes before it gets better. All this talk of accountability looks like lip service.

The entire point of playing Beleskey and Hayes with a 160lb Czarnik is to open up space for him and make sure nobody takes his head off. Couldn't even make it into the regular season before someone did it.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
So the Bruins physical dominance with zero response from the Canucks (Marchand embarrassing Sedin with multiple jabs to the face while emasculating him) had nothing to do with the outcome of that series???

Playing an aggressive style and dictating the terms of play are far different things than getting in a fight. Rome was ejected and suspended for the rest of the series. It probably kept the Bruins focused instead of trying to get 'payback' against Rome. Not to mention, it is easy to keep that emotion during the cup playoffs, preseason/regular season, not so much.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass

That was an answer

Tim Thomas body check at 1:50

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
It's got nothing to do with Gudas or the idea that it will prevent cheap hits or change things.

It's not a deterrent.

It's about Czarnik and the Bruins.

It's about how they feel about each other and how they play for each other.

And I already pointed out another example (Savard) where the team (supposedly) was one big happy family...and nothing was done over a far worse hit.

I have yet to see a rational explanation reconciling the lack of reaction in that instance with a "tough" B's team that had one another's back?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I was just reading the Gudas thread on the main board and the originator of this thread said about the hit:

"I don't think it was late. Seemed to target head though."

Doesn't seem like the hit was that big a deal, so I don't understand why a response was necessary? :dunno:

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I was just reading the Gudas thread on the main board and the originator of this thread said about the hit:

"I don't think it was late. Seemed to target head though."

Doesn't seem like the hit was that big a deal, so I don't understand why a response was necessary? :dunno:

Despite typing it out you missed the "seemed to target head" part? Really?

I don't actually think the hit itself was late (when run in real time) or deserving 6 games but that was likely collateral damage from all of Gudas'..... collateral damage so they were looking to send him a message. That being said, he targeted Czarnik's head and anybody could see that Czarnik had been concussed by the hit and wasn't coming back. He was lying on the ice, they stopped the play, he had to be helped off, the replay was played over and over aaaaaaaand nothing. Again, after Gudas got out of the box, a fresh Miller had a chance to challenge him for the hit and didn't want anything to do with it.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
As I predicted in my first post, it looks like my dates were off as Krejci was cheap-shotted by Mair in January of 2007:

That 06/07 Bruins "team" (35-41) was a heartless Dave Lewis abomination and that Krejci hit was the straw that broke the camel's back. Jeremy Reich was called up from Providence after Krejci was targeted with a late headshot (season was already shot and Lewis' was a dead man walking).

In the first game against Buffalo, Reich went after Mair. Mair turned down invitations for further fights from Reich and I clearly remember him keeping his nose pretty clean against Boston after this (I remember because once we got Thornton, later, I was really hoping that Mair would give Thornton a reason). I'm not willing to say that Mair was scared of Thornton (it sure seemed like he was, but whatever) or even that he changed his style of play but it sure as hell was nice to see a response --in the form of calling up Reich then signing Thornton in the offseason and bringing in Lucic as a fiery rookie-- from a Bruins organization that was getting pushed around and run at.

Last edited:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Despite typing it out you missed the "seemed to target head" part? Really?

I don't actually think the hit itself was late (when run in real time) or deserving 6 games but that was likely collateral damage from all of Gudas'..... collateral damage so they were looking to send him a message. That being said, he targeted Czarnik's head and anybody could see that Czarnik had been concussed by the hit and wasn't coming back. He was lying on the ice, they stopped the play, he had to be helped off, the replay was played over and over aaaaaaaand nothing. Again, after Gudas got out of the box, a fresh Miller had a chance to challenge him for the hit and didn't want anything to do with it.

I did read the entire post, but was poking fun at you. I don't get that you are so concerned about a response for a hit that you apparently didn't think was THAT bad?

Personally, I thought the head was targeted, the hit was very late, and maybe the worst part, was completely unnecessary. I thought the 6 games was warranted for the reason you stated, Gudas has a history of borderline hits that he has somehow (mostly) avoided suspension for (except for the one last year). As a repeat offender, who had already received a 3 game penalty for a hit on Zibanejad, the 6 games should not have been a surprise.

I think the other reason the 6 game suspension should not have been a surprise is because Gudas obviously doesn't "get it". Just a few days after a borderline hit on Vesey, he strikes again with a worse hit on Czarnik. Which brings us back to to the response (lack of) and why it wouldn't have helped.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Ahhh the "2 points" fribble crew force is strong

Weakest excuse in hockey from wimps, "we needed the two points". Sending a message that you won't be bullied or allow your teammates to be cheap shotted without a response is worth far more than two points in the long run.

But the game has been ruined by softness and turn the other cheek and let the league handle it mentality. What is being played now is barely recognizable as hockey.

I also love how the anti toughness crowd dismissed Marchand using Sedins head as a speed bag as a turning point in that series. I wonder what would have happened if somebody stood up for Sedin?

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
There are a couple of level of responses, I know that when the injury is severe like Marc Savard, or when Bergeron was hit by Jones the concern is for the teammate not retaliation.

But then there are hits like this one where the player got his bell rung by a known offender to this stuff and they did nothing. To me this is the more I got your back scenario than concern for a severe injury. Kid is new to the team and NHL and you don't get his back? Doesn't seem much like a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad