Why did nobody respond to the hit by Adam Mair ---I mean, Radko Gudas?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
This thread is pretty depressing to read to be honest with you. It's almost as depressing as watching a team that will constantly put their tail between their legs when they play heavy, physical teams or even teams like
Montreal, you know that heated rival that constantly wipes their rear ends with Boston.

Randell is on waivers, there goes a 4th line player that will fight, has proven he can chip in from time to time and will get his hands dirty. Who takes his place? Probably an undersized forward who will play 8 minutes, throw 9 hits a year and spend most of his time shying away from contact. Hey, I mean it's the new make up of this team with exceptions to two forwards that will throw a hit (Beleskey, Backes)

Not only is Randell likely going to be hanging out in Providence all year, a lot of you want either Miller/McQuaid gone, some want both. What happens then? Will we have Torey Krug step up when Matt Martin plasters a Bruin into the 7th row on Saturday night? Or, you know... You're right, they should ignore it because playing soft hockey has worked so well for them over these past few seasons.

It's going to be hilarious losing a season series to Montreal again and watching McCarron and Shaw terrorize these new look Bruins.

It kind of disgusts me to be honest. "We want to be tougher to play against" - yep, that sure lasted long. The Bruins play their best hockey when they're banging bodies, and getting emotionally invested. The last few seasons I have seen more emotion in a shoe box than I have in this Bruins team. If you guys like watching them get pushed around, players eating questionable hits without a hint of "*****'s given" then go ahead, that's your opinion and your mentality but it sure as hell isnt mine.

It's pretty sad that "the good old days" were 3-4 years ago.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I think it means a lot, but would it change anything maybe not. But you can be sure that opposing players would think twice the next time if they know they're going to have to answer for it, compared to nothing happening at all.

I bet the next time the Flyers play our Bruins we will dress a Randell or someone like him.

I bet you they won't. Unfortunately this isn't the make up of the team anymore. They'll probably let Krug be speedbagged and lose 6-2.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
iu

Exactly. I'm not saying that someone SHOULDN'T go after Gudas. All I"m saying is that the handwringing about it is too much.

Even the proponents of it are now saying that it wouldn't stop anything in the future.

So then it's a case of "Building camaraderie". But then many who are saying that are not saying that the lack of response will result in fewer wins this season.

So ultimately, what does it accomplish? I get that many fans like to see it. "It's the way I want the game played and it's what I want to see when I watch." Which is perfectly fine as a fan. I totally get that. But this thread started with the (I think, I'd have to ask Colt) premise that this was bad for the team itself. And in the end I don't really think it has one iota of an impact on the season.

I go back to this summer with Brady and Garappolo. Felger and Mazz were making all kinds of comments about Brady shunning Jimmy G and refusing to look at him. Does that hurt the team's camaraderie? Maybe, but ultimately it didn't hurt Jimmy's play and it didn't hurt Brady's. I came to the realization that Tom Brady's job isn't to be a mentor or be a big brother to Jimmy. It's to shred opponents to death and lead this team to wins. If he's an A-Hole to Jimmy (not saying he is) then I really don't care. They are professionals and they have a job to do.

It has nothing to do with being a pacificst or wanting to watch soccer or ice skating. It's questioning what the value of it would be and if it's purely for aesthetics, then I really don't think it's a big deal.

Let's ask Sabres fans how Lucic running Miller & the subsequent non-response from his teammates affected that team.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This thread is pretty depressing to read to be honest with you. It's almost as depressing as watching a team that will constantly put their tail between their legs when they play heavy, physical teams or even teams like
Montreal, you know that heated rival that constantly wipes their rear ends with Boston.

Randell is on waivers, there goes a 4th line player that will fight, has proven he can chip in from time to time and will get his hands dirty. Who takes his place? Probably an undersized forward who will play 8 minutes, throw 9 hits a year and spend most of his time shying away from contact. Hey, I mean it's the new make up of this team with exceptions to two forwards that will throw a hit (Beleskey, Backes)

Not only is Randell likely going to be hanging out in Providence all year, a lot of you want either Miller/McQuaid gone, some want both. What happens then? Will we have Torey Krug step up when Matt Martin plasters a Bruin into the 7th row on Saturday night? Or, you know... You're right, they should ignore it because playing soft hockey has worked so well for them over these past few seasons.

It's going to be hilarious losing a season series to Montreal again and watching McCarron and Shaw terrorize these new look Bruins.

It kind of disgusts me to be honest. "We want to be tougher to play against" - yep, that sure lasted long. The Bruins play their best hockey when they're banging bodies, and getting emotionally invested. The last few seasons I have seen more emotion in a shoe box than I have in this Bruins team. If you guys like watching them get pushed around, players eating questionable hits without a hint of "*****'s given" then go ahead, that's your opinion and your mentality but it sure as hell isnt mine.

Maybe McCarron and Randell can work out their differences when Providence meets St. John's, because McCarron got sent down again today.

Randell got the same problem Jimmy Hayes got, he can't skate worth a lick, and thus isn't fast enough to lay hits on people on a consistent basis.

McQuaid is very close to being out of this league. If he was on Florida or Arizona he would of hit the waiver wire today, if they didn't buy him out the summer.

Even in the "good old days" the Bruins carried very few guys who brought one thing and one thing only, fighting. Even a prime McQuaid and Shawn Thornton could play the game.

I'd love nothing more than for the Bruins to have six or seven 20-goal Cam Neely clones manning the wings, but Power Forwards or Enforcers types who can play 10+ min. a game are coming hard to come by.

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org

I bet you they won't. Unfortunately this isn't the make up of the team anymore. They'll probably let Krug be speedbagged and lose 6-2.

Let's ask Sabres fans how Lucic running Miller & the subsequent non-response from his teammates affected that team.

Good post guys, well said.. Randell is on waivers? That sucks! He has some nice hands too. Wow..

I remember that game when Lucic ran Miller like it was yesterday. And the talk all over was how the Sabres didn't do jack anything about it. That definitely effected them. All everyone was talking about was that hit and the lack of response.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

And the lack of response by the B's for the Cooke hit had what effect on that team?

Like I said, I would have liked to have seen a response, but I think this whole thing is a little more complicated and less cut and dried than you are trying to make it out.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
So ultimately, what does it accomplish? I get that many fans like to see it. "It's the way I want the game played and it's what I want to see when I watch." Which is perfectly fine as a fan. I totally get that. But this thread started with the (I think, I'd have to ask Colt) premise that this was bad for the team itself. And in the end I don't really think it has one iota of an impact on the season.

It is bad for the team. There is no question about it.

It isn't even up for debate.

If you don't think that teammates not having each other's back has any impact, not "one iota" on a team concept then I honestly don't know what to say to you. Players should look out for only themselves? They should get run and then hope that the hit itself crosses the line so that player safety might look at it and the player might get fined or suspended for the next game against the next team? Wow.

There was a really interesting study done a few years ago (I think it was Cambridge but don't quote me on that) where they hooked up to and tracked testosterone levels in male tennis players. Why tennis? If you've watched much tennis (or played it lots, as I have) you will see that it is a game of massive momentum shifts and streaks. Amazingly, they found that every point that the player lost, their testosterone levels dropped and every point they won saw a temporary spike in testosterone levels. Take from that what you will, but it is interesting.

Watching a big, nasty physical player target your teammates or go after you yourself is extremely demoralizing for the team psyche and there is a reason that someone will step and address it or they will keep doing it (Tom Wilson etc). A guy I know once fought Link Gaetz despite being out of his weight class and heavily outmatched --when we asked him why he took the fight ("The missing" Link had been running guys) he said he wanted to show his team that they didn't have to be scared of him any more. He actually tagged Gaetz a few times in the end and won the fight but that wasn't the point of the story.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
And the lack of response by the B's for the Cooke hit had what effect on that team?

Like I said, I would have liked to have seen a response, but I think this whole thing is a little more complicated and less cut and dried than you are trying to make it out.

?

They did confront him at the time and Thornton fought him as soon as he stepped out on the ice the following game.

No one even made eye contact with Gudas.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
?

They did confront him at the time and Thornton fought him as soon as he stepped out on the ice the following game.

Last year Pat Maroon laughed in Chara's face, minutes after Chris Stewart speedbagged Torey Krug, Stewart is a known fighter and much, much bigger than Krug. No one did a thing after that happened, they ended up getting beat physically and beat on the scoreboard. You think that if Chara went up to Stewart, grabbed him and fed him the team would go "uh, yeah, whatever... " - I'd tell you Torey Krug would be appreciative.

It's sad, man.

Spanky185

Dec 1, 2014
Between BOS and NYC
when there's a fight in baseball, the players will run in from the bullpens, keep in mind that most fights happen in the infield. Any action will be done long before they finish running the 300ish feet to get there, but they run anyway.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

If you don't think that teammates not having each other's back has any impact, not "one iota" on a team concept then I honestly don't know what to say to you. .

The bolded is just something that I vehemently disagree with with every fiber of my being. Very few things in life "aren't up for debate". The emotional impact on a person when 2nd party punches a 3rd party in the face, and whether that impact has lasting effects on 18 other men 5 months later is NOT one of those things I'd place in the no debate category.

Trust me, as perplexed as you are by my stance, as illogical it seems, my view on your stance is exactly the same. Not an indictment on you as a person or your intelligence or views. Our brains are just completely different my man.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
?

No, they didn't.

Watch the video. Ryder gives him a nudge and Wideman comes in after the fact and says something to him. Other than that, zip, zilch, nada. Nothing from Thornton, nothing from Lucic, nothing from nobody.

The next time they played, after weeks of hearing about how hey didn't respond to the hit at the time, Thornton did the obligatory fight, and they said that's that, he paid the piper.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
No, they didn't.

Watch the video. Ryder gives him a nudge and Wideman comes in after the fact and says something to him. Other than that, zip, zilch, nada. Nothing from Thornton, nothing from Lucic, nothing from nobody.

The next time they played, after weeks of hearing about how hey didn't respond to the hit at the time, Thornton did the obligatory fight, and they said that's that, he paid the piper.

Any of that by itself is more that they did to gudas.

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org

If you don't think that teammates not having each other's back has any impact, not "one iota" on a team concept then I honestly don't know what to say to you. Players should look out for only themselves? They should get run and then hope that the hit itself crosses the line so that player safety might look at it and the player might get fined or suspended for the next game against the next team? Wow.

There was a really interesting study done a few years ago (I think it was Cambridge but don't quote me on that) where they hooked up to and tracked testosterone levels in male tennis players. Why tennis? If you've watched much tennis (or played it lots, as I have) you will see that it is a game of massive momentum shifts and streaks. Amazingly, they found that every point that the player lost, their testosterone levels dropped and every point they won saw a temporary spike in testosterone levels. Take from that what you will, but it is interesting.

Watching a big, nasty physical player target your teammates or go after you yourself is extremely demoralizing for the team psyche and there is a reason that someone will step and address it or they will keep doing it (Tom Wilson etc). A guy I know once fought Link Gaetz despite being out of his weight class and heavily outmatched --when we asked him why he took the fight ("The missing" Link had been running guys) he said he wanted to show his team that they didn't have to be scared of him any more. He actually tagged Gaetz a few times in the end and won the fight but that wasn't the point of the story.

I agree, but not standing up for teammates, shying away and giving zero ***** doesn't win you games either.
Agreed.. :nod:

when there's a fight in baseball, the players will run in from the bullpens, keep in mind that most fights happen in the infield. Any action will be done long before they finish running the 300ish feet to get there, but they run anyway.

:laugh: No doubt Spanky, well said..

I'm with Colt 45, I also believe it is bad for a team. In any TEAM sport.

I learn so much from all you guys whether Its for or against. The input you guys post here in the forum is awesome. Anyway I hope we have a good and healthy season and lets just win bebe! Go Bruins Go!! :yo::yo:

HiyaGeorgii

Apr 6, 2016
This is not an easy issue for me because I am an "old school" guy, but let me ask you something...did McIlrath's response to the hit on Vesey have any effect on Gudas?

The fact that he went out and delivered an equally questionable hit less than a week later on Czarnik should tell you all you need to know about how affective jumping a repeat offender like Gudas is in keeping him from doing it.

Let the league worry about deterring the player with suspensions and fines. I just think the only response here is the one McIlrath had as a team mate. Get him then or get him later but it's what should have been done.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
This is not an easy issue for me because I am an "old school" guy, but let me ask you something...did McIlrath's response to the hit on Vesey have any effect on Gudas?

The fact that he went out and delivered an equally questionable hit less than a week later on Czarnik should tell you all you need to know about how affective jumping a repeat offender like Gudas is in keeping him from doing it.

It's got nothing to do with Gudas or the idea that it will prevent cheap hits or change things.

It's not a deterrent.

It's about Czarnik and the Bruins.

It's about how they feel about each other and how they play for each other.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
It's got nothing to do with Gudas or the idea that it will prevent cheap hits or change things.

It's not a deterrent.

It's about Czarnik and the Bruins.

It's about how they feel about each other and how they play for each other.

This. If you are the victim of a cheap shot, & you start to come to, what do you prefer to see, your teammates sipping slurpeees by the bench or gloves on the ice while a teammate throws down some justice? If you as a fan say that doesn't matter, then that's your opinion & it's your right, but we come from different cultures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad