Who'll stop The Reign: The 2023-24 Ontario Reign Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I don't understand the JAD over Turcotte decision.

There must be something they continue to see in JAD. They have a tough time ever moving on from him.
Sorry Herby not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. But Turcs just scored to tie the game having himself a strong game. Turcs is a better skater, better playmaker I'd give JAD maybe a slight edge in scoring but I think Turcotte has paid his dues and definitely should get a shot at least.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Sorry Herby not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. But Turcs just scored to tie the game having himself a strong game. Turcs is a better skater, better playmaker I'd give JAD maybe a slight edge in scoring but I think Turcotte has paid his dues and definitely should get a shot at least.

No, not being sarcastic. I really don't understand why JAD is in the NHL over Turcotte at this point. Turcotte is not a kid anymore, he is nearing 23 years old, with over 100 AHL games under his belt and should be in the NHL over a player like JAD, who just doesn't offer as much.

I know many here think I am a hater of the player, but really it's not, just his lack of natural offensive talent and where he was taken in the draft was a poor player evaluation, that's all.. I have always said he reminds me of players I saw a lot of (Andrew Copp, Andrew Cogliano) and I think he could be that type of player for the Kings right now. I just don't see much in 24 year old JAD anymore.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
No, not being sarcastic. I really don't understand why JAD is in the NHL over Turcotte at this point. Turcotte is not a kid anymore, he is nearing 23 years old, with over 100 AHL games under his belt and should be in the NHL over a player like JAD, who just doesn't offer as much.

I know many here think I am a hater of the player, but really it's not, just his lack of natural offensive talent and where he was taken in the draft was a poor player evaluation, that's all.. I have always said he reminds me of players I saw a lot of (Andrew Copp, Andrew Cogliano) and I think he could be that type of player for the Kings right now. I just don't see much in 24 year old JAD anymore.
Yeah 100% agree, it's crazy Turcs is already turning 23. I'm not even sure this organization knows what they will do with Turcotte. LOL. He may never be a top six player, but he's shown in the past few years he's at least a serviceable bottom six in the NHL. Turcotte's biggest issue was of course his health and when healthy I believe he can help the Kings. With JAD I just don't see it either. Nothing against the kid but it's like the Kings are still holding onto some hope that he's just going to all of a sudden score 30 goals. Hilarious. I'd at least give Turcotte a chance when given. But guarantee if PLD is out a bit longer we joke about it but Tj Tynan get your bags ready you've been called up. LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schrute farms

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I know many here think I am a hater of the player, but really it's not, just his lack of natural offensive talent and where he was taken in the draft was a poor player evaluation, that's all..
Looks like ‘hate’ to me though. Thats no problem and okay but at least be honest and reasonable about it.

He was the obvious choice at spot 5 and did not have any lack of natural offensive talent at the time. Heck he was close with Hughes regarding PPG. Now points dont tell the whole story but i find this so strange…

In hindsight we can all draw conclusions.

Of course you grab a player with such a motor and offensive output.

He has never played more than 40 games into a season which is stunning at that age. We will never know what would have happened without those injuries. Players, so young, need to play.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Looks like ‘hate’ to me though. Thats no problem and okay but at least be honest and reasonable about it.

He was the obvious choice at spot 5 and did not have any lack of natural offensive talent at the time. Heck he was close with Hughes regarding PPG. Now points dont tell the whole story but i find this so strange…

In hindsight we can all draw conclusions.

Of course you grab a player with such a motor and offensive output.

He has never played more than 40 games into a season which is stunning at that age. We will never know what would have happened without those injuries. Players, so young, need to play.

An honest evaluation of a player should not be viewed as being a hater. I always compared him to Andrew Copp, a good player who is a valuable asset for any teams third scoring line, a player who brought a 1st round pick as a deadline rental. It was just tough to see a player the Kings took so high not be a big star in college like most guys taken that high are.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
An honest evaluation of a player should not be viewed as being a hater. I always compared him to Andrew Copp, a good player who is a valuable asset for any teams third scoring line, a player who brought a 1st round pick as a deadline rental. It was just tough to see a player the Kings took so high not be a big star in college like most guys taken that high are.
No i put hate between brackets so i agree and its indeed tough.

I always said, one or two of that very good US team must fail.

I seriously thought it would be Boldy and one of Caulfield and York.

You were very okay with the choice of Turcotte back than. How can you now suddenly say, poor evaluation by Kings management, lack of offensive talent and that you compared him with Andrew Copp. You loved the pick.

As for Turcotte, love the pick, he looks like a championship caliber 2C much like Richards was in his prime. Keep him away from the mess the Kings will probably be next season and then evaluate next summer. I'd still rather him dominate college for a couple of years like Hughes and Makar and hopefully join the Kings for the 2021 playoffs.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
No i put hate between brackets so i agree and its indeed tough.

I always said, one or two of that very good US team must fail.

I seriously thought it would be Boldy and one of Caulfield and York.

You were very okay with the choice of Turcotte back than. How can you now suddenly say, poor evaluation by Kings management, lack of offensive talent and that you compared him with Andrew Copp. You loved the pick.

I did not see him play a bunch of times knowing I had a top 5 pick and was going off scouting reports and the Kings need at C. I was just amazed after seeing him play how he was ever universally considered a top 5 pick in comparison to other players taken from that program before, and conveyed those thoughts right away. But I don’t know what other word besides poor evaluation to use? And it’s not just criticizing the Kings, or singling out Kings, the entire scouting community had a poor evaluation on this player, it happens. Sometimes you get unlucky with those situations like this and sometimes you get lucky (Kopitar and Faber). I would be also be fine with saying bad luck, unfortunate luck, or something like that too, if that is a more apt description.

Now to get back on the topic since Turcotte's ceiling and evaluation has been discussed to death on this forum and is just water under the bridge now. He has paid his dues in the AHL, he is getting older and is really no longer prospect age, decisions need to be made less than a year from now on long-term outlook, including the possibility of still selling at the deadline for other assets to try and win now, and most importantly at this moment he likely is going to contribute more to the NHL roster than players being played above him. It's time to see what he can do at the NHL level in a consistent role over a sustained period of time. He has earned that opportunity.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I did not see him play a bunch of times knowing I had a top 5 pick and was going off scouting reports and the Kings need at C. I was just amazed after seeing him play how he was ever universally considered a top 5 pick in comparison to other players taken from that program before, and conveyed those thoughts right away. But I don’t know what other word besides poor evaluation to use? And it’s not just criticizing the Kings, or singling out Kings, the entire scouting community had a poor evaluation on this player, it happens. Sometimes you get unlucky with those situations like this and sometimes you get lucky (Kopitar and Faber). I would be also be fine with saying bad luck, unfortunate luck, or something like that too, if that is a more apt description.
Yeah, actually that is 'more apt description' than constantly blaming the Kings org for the lack of success coming from a player picked #5 where every legiitimate published prospect ranking had him in top 5. I know it's hard for you to believe, but I would bet the Kings org wants these players to succeed just as much as you do.

Your back pedalling is not surprising though -- and nice touch putting Kopitar and a kid who's played less than 20 games in the same category. What a bunch of horseshit.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Yeah, actually that is 'more apt description' than constantly blaming the Kings org for the lack of success coming from a player picked #5 where every legiitimate published prospect ranking had him in top 5. I know it's hard for you to believe, but I would bet the Kings org wants these players to succeed just as much as you do.

Your back pedalling is not surprising though -- and nice touch putting Kopitar and a kid who's played less than 20 games in the same category. What a bunch of horseshit.

I have used the term “bad luck” numerous times to describe this situation, you can go back and check for reference if you want.

My issue with the Kings and this player was always more the disastrous pull from college after one year, arguably the worst college pull ever, to be honest.

And calm down clown, I am not implying that Faber is on the level of Kopitar, a player I have said many times is the greatest player in franchise history. I was just referencing two players that were poorly evaluated by the scouting community that the Kings benefitted from to contrast a player that was poorly evaluated by the scouting community that cost the Kings.

How am I backpedaling? Has my opinion on this player not been the same thing for the last 4 years now? He will end up being exactly the type of player I said from the start (which got me labeled a hater by ppl like you) but that won’t stop you from claiming I called him a bust, but hey who am I to argue with what the voices in your head tell you?

You are just looking to make unnecessary arguments over nothing. Par for the course.

Last edited:

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005

Turcotte's pass to Thomas on the first goal was slick!

One thing I've noticed, and this includes his preseason NHL games, is that he's often the guy in the front of the net in man advantage situations. I'm assuming this is by design?

He does well there, but it doesn't seem ideal, all things considered. He's not the biggest guy and players take a physical beating in that role. In addition to that, he's got pretty good vision and play making skills. Would seem more suited for the half wall.

Vino

Mar 19, 2006
Finland

No, that's not true.

McKeen's final rankings Turcotte was #7 - #5 Cozens, #6 Zegras.

THN draft preview Turcotte #10.

I have posted this text earlier:

THN Draft Preview Turcotte was #10 jus behind Caufield. Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Dach, Podkolzin Byram, Zegras, Boldy, Caufield, Turcotte.

Their description was pretty good and accurate.

"Averaging almost two points per game not playing with Jack Hughes - who happens to be his roommate - Turcotte has no shortage of offensive ability. The only problem is he had very real problems staying healthy, which limited his viewings by scouts.

The son of former NHLer Alfie Turcotte brings a hig level of determination in his game and combines that with a being very good skater and an honest two-way player. "He chases the puck, he pursues the puck, he pressures the puck," sais one scout. "And when he loses it, he gets it back."

As has been the case with other centers who had played behind Hughes, it's difficult to determine exactly where Turcotte projects in an NHL lineup, something has exacerbated by his injuries this season. "As long he can stay healthy, he looks like a really good high-functioned second-line center," said another scout. "I don't see him as a first line center. I look him as an 80-percent second line center and a 20-percent third-line center. He does those things you want your second-line center to do."

Jimmy Fox said something like "his [Turcotte] ceiling when he was selected - as far was explained to me - was solid 3rd line center, okey."

All the Kings Men 10 Questions Update (Half Season) w/ Jim Fox (time 40.20 ->)​

January 24th 2022 Episode S8 : E28

Last edited:

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Watched yesterdays game....Clarke is going to be a special player. Has an instinct that cant be taught. Hope Turcotte gets another chance with the blg club. Kinda seems like a make or cut bait year for him and he is a strong two way player with a pretty good read on the game. If Laffy languishes- nothing wrong with swapping these two.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm glad to have a clearer video of that Clarke goal, thought Wolf might have just misread it but man Clarke just absolutely ruined him

Brandt's name is nonstop in every highlight, it's uncanny. Dude has 'it' more than any prospect we've had since Doughty. He's an ugly skater, a huge ego, pisses everyone off...and he relishes in it and is absolutely unstoppable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad