Who'll stop The Reign: The 2023-24 Ontario Reign Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
AHL officiating is absolute horsesh*t. Helenius gets jumped and no instigator penalty. WTF.

Edit: They gave that POS an instigator. But just brutal gooning it up after getting an a** whoopin.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm all for the minor leagues being the minor leagues, there's an old school romantic notion of hockey being a little bit like youngblood or slap shot that i will always carry with me

you can't just leave your hotshot top prospects in league like that for long. You just can't. Sure you have to learn to protect and preserve yourself to some degree but so many guys aren't even looking to play hockey, you can't do anything about it when there's nothing at stake and a guy can just get off the bench looking to take a major and nothing becomes of it.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Damn Toby just got smoked into the boards brodcast is not showing highlights of the hit looks like he's being taken off on a stretcher. AHL for you.

I know the guy who hit Bjorngot was ejected, but I'm surprised Doty didn't go ape shit on the Firebirds. I remember a game a few years back vs Tuscon, I forget what the player did and to who on the Reign he did it to, but Doty went nuts and was really going out of his way to get payback. It stuck with me because as physical as Doty is, he's not really a crazy dude on the ice.

Reactions: Johnny Utah

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I know the guy who hit Bjorngot was ejected, but I'm surprised Doty didn't go ape shit on the Firebirds. I remember a game a few years back vs Tuscon, I forget what the player did and to who on the Reign he did it to, but Doty went nuts and was really going out of his way to get payback. It stuck with me because as physical as Doty is, he's not really a crazy dude on the ice.
Yeah, the one player that actually came to Toby's defense was actually Pinelli. Gave the Firebird player a shove after the hit and started a minor scrum. Remember Pinelli was the captain back in juniors and was a fiery little dude. But feel bad for Bjornfot, smoked by Chandler Stephenson of the Knights a few years back, no one did a damn thing about it, now he gets trucked pretty good, and Rookie Pinelli had to mosquito bite some scum to send a message.

Regarding the game, Clarke looked great again, two more points now tied with Turcs and Tynan for team lead in points. Turcs had another strong defensive game, had a great rush for an assist. Tynan had 4 helpers. And Martin Fr... I mean Samuel Fagemo with two PP bombs. He's been good back with the Reign. I don't see Fagemo in the Kings future but he'll be good with the Reign for now.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
So, players like Doty, Helenius, etc don't stop hits like that. Just wanted to confirm that for those who keep insisting that it "stops" that behavior.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
So, players like Doty, Helenius, etc don't stop hits like that. Just wanted to confirm that for those who keep insisting that it "stops" that behavior.
We‘ve both been banging this drum for a while. The only reason for it is that some people want it (fighting) in the game and enjoy it. Which is a fine and honest stance, that I don’t agree with but at least it’s a real discussion then.

Reactions: King'sPawn

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Yeah, the one player that actually came to Toby's defense was actually Pinelli. Gave the Firebird player a shove after the hit and started a minor scrum. Remember Pinelli was the captain back in juniors and was a fiery little dude. But feel bad for Bjornfot, smoked by Chandler Stephenson of the Knights a few years back, no one did a damn thing about it, now he gets trucked pretty good, and Rookie Pinelli had to mosquito bite some scum to send a message.

Regarding the game, Clarke looked great again, two more points now tied with Turcs and Tynan for team lead in points. Turcs had another strong defensive game, had a great rush for an assist. Tynan had 4 helpers. And Martin Fr... I mean Samuel Fagemo with two PP bombs. He's been good back with the Reign. I don't see Fagemo in the Kings future but he'll be good with the Reign for now.
I see that Samuel Fagemo totally changed the way he is shooting puck now.
It used to be only power, but no accuracy in his shooting.
Now he is picking up corners with deadly accuracy and power.
I think he can play for Kings now instead of JAD.
P.S. I wish Kaliev will learn how similarly to add accuracy to his shot.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles

It still pisses me off that no one has done anything to that rat Stephenson. I would kill to have a rat on the Kings. Call me crazy, but god damn they’re effective.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I watched the game. The hit was a hard hit, but wasn't bad in itself, it was how Toby fell and landed. The player who hit him, Melanson was not doing well in the penalty box and a teammate had to come over and discuss with him. He was given a 5 and 10 min misconduct. He was visibly distraught.

Don't be surprised if Doty or Helenius goes after him next game, but it was one of those incidents, where everyone was freaked out. The Reign TV even went to commercial and wouldn't show the stretcher.

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
I was at the game last night. Fagemo's first goal was pin pointed. It was a great shot. His second was all power.

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
I watched the game. The hit was a hard hit, but wasn't bad in itself, it was how Toby fell and landed. The player who hit him, Melanson was not doing well in the penalty box and a teammate had to come over and discuss with him. He was given a 5 and 10 min misconduct. He was visibly distraught.

Don't be surprised if Doty or Helenius goes after him next game, but it was one of those incidents, where everyone was freaked out. The Reign TV even went to commercial and wouldn't show the stretcher.
Toby was off balance against the boards when he got hit. He was falling backward when he got hit. I couldn't see how he landed but I was pretty certain he hit his head on the ice. One of the off ice officials is a ref in my league and I asked him what he saw, and he said all he saw was a huge cut on the bridge of Toby's nose.

Reactions: kinghock

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Fagemo has no place on the Kings, his issues are related to hustle, hockey sense, defense and other issues he hasn’t been able to overcome.. he’s what you call a AAAA player

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Fagemo has no place on the Kings, his issues are related to hustle, hockey sense, defense and other issues he hasn’t been able to overcome.. he’s what you call a AAAA player
Not sure I agree with that. Granted, I'm not as high on Fagemo as others are, but he does bring that shot mentality that every org benefits from.

He is still 23. By this time, Kempe had only completed one full NHL season, with 37 points in 81 games and averaging 13 minutes/game. Fagemo over the course of his time here has averaged the second least over all Kings players, averaging 9:39/game since he first played.

He's the definition of a tweener while still having time and talent to put it all together.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
If it was last year Fagemo, I would agree with your opinion.
He looks like different player to me now.
I do not see big issues with his hustle, hockey sense and defense any longer.
Please, try to watch him more.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Not sure I agree with that. Granted, I'm not as high on Fagemo as others are, but he does bring that shot mentality that every org benefits from.

He is still 23. By this time, Kempe had only completed one full NHL season, with 37 points in 81 games and averaging 13 minutes/game. Fagemo over the course of his time here has averaged the second least over all Kings players, averaging 9:39/game since he first played.

He's the definition of a tweener while still having time and talent to put it all together.
I don’t see him on the roster when you consider Turcotte is trending way up, Laf has leapfrogged him and his shot aside, those areas of weakness I mentioned are things he just won’t get away with in the NHL

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don’t see him on the roster when you consider Turcotte is trending way up, Laf has leapfrogged him and his shot aside, those areas of weakness I mentioned are things he just won’t get away with in the NHL

I'm high on sammy but i agree his 'slotting' is what makes it tough for him here.

Like Lias ANdersson, he needs an org that will give him a chance and an extended look to shed the label. But it's pretty clear he wouldn't be a play driver, just a nice complementary finisher. I still see a 20g upside guy in there, but it may not be here. Unforunately I'm sure his trade value took a hit after that non-stint in Nashville, too.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Reign beat San Jose 3-0 in their (SJ) barn. Ontario has posted 3 consecutive shutouts, an amazing feat in any league. One by Portillo and two consecutive for Rittich.

Turcotte 1st star with a goal and an assist. Last season Turcotte had 17 pts in 32 AHL games, this season he has 17 pts in 16 AHL games. He's also +8, a very responsible player. It's finally coming together professionally for Turcotte.

Clarke continues to lead all AHL defensemen in points with 16 pts in 16 games.

Rittich is tied for the AHL lead in shutouts with 3, and he improved to 6-3-2 with a 2.38 GAA and .916 Sv %.

Even more impressive with the Reign lost both Moverare (up with the Kings) and Bjornfot (IR) and sitll managed to pitch a shutout, calling up two defenders from the ECHL (one played, Wylie, who actually does have a Reign contract but has been squeezed out by numbers).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad