Who'll stop The Reign: The 2023-24 Ontario Reign Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
I'm glad to have a clearer video of that Clarke goal, thought Wolf might have just misread it but man Clarke just absolutely ruined him

Brandt's name is nonstop in every highlight, it's uncanny. Dude has 'it' more than any prospect we've had since Doughty. He's an ugly skater, a huge ego, pisses everyone off...and he relishes in it and is absolutely unstoppable.
Why nobody is talking about Maltsev?
I think he can be really good player for Kings 4th or 3rd lines.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I like Maltsev, but he's an RFA at the end of this season, and I don't know who he overtakes. He's likely to get another NHL chance somewhere, but I'm not sure it's here.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
He's 25, about to be 26 in a few months. And while he plays well in the AHL, he's not some dominating force either.

Who would he replace?

Reactions: ru4reals

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Nobody believed that Englund will replace Bjornfot…

Englund is a completely different player type than Toby

Maltsev isn't functionally different than either Lizotte or Lewis, just less experienced and a pocket full of maybes. If anything he's most like Grundstrom. But he hasn't done anything to overtake either guy. Would like to see what he can do, again, don't get me wrong. But there's nothing elevating him over other prospects right now.

Reactions: kinghock

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Englund is a completely different player type than Toby

Maltsev isn't functionally different than either Lizotte or Lewis, just less experienced and a pocket full of maybes. If anything he's most like Grundstrom. But he hasn't done anything to overtake either guy. Would like to see what he can do, again, don't get me wrong. But there's nothing elevating him over other prospects right now.
I think Maltsev is smarter and much bigger comparing to Lizotte.
Also, he is multidimensional player.
Maltsev plays OT, PK and second PP for Reign.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Nobody believed that Englund will replace Bjornfot…
With how awful Englund played in preseason, no. But Bjornfot was playing uninspired hockey, too.

Who does Maltsev outplay? What does he bring that others don't?

He can replace Lizotte or Lewis…
Lizotte had 23 points in 65 NHL games as a 23 year-old rookie.

Lewis brings defense and penalty kill aptitude, along with actually winning multiple cups.

Maltsev has 9 points in 56 NHL games despite being an offensive forward.

This also overlooks other players who have earned a call up.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
With how awful Englund played in preseason, no. But Bjornfot was playing uninspired hockey, too.

Lewis brings defense and penalty kill aptitude, along with actually winning multiple cups.

I thought Maltsev was an interesting signing from a possible upside standpoint

But I agree, I just don't see who he jars loose, he's played well, but not THAT well

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ

With all due respect to your opinion, I believe Maltsev is currently head and shoulders better than anybody on the Reign but Clarke and Turcotte.

I believe he is much better player comparing to JAD and Fagemo.

P.S. Lizotte is ok during regular season, but gets destroyed during playoffs because of his small stature.

Reactions: Vino

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I'm glad to have a clearer video of that Clarke goal, thought Wolf might have just misread it but man Clarke just absolutely ruined him

Brandt's name is nonstop in every highlight, it's uncanny. Dude has 'it' more than any prospect we've had since Doughty. He's an ugly skater, a huge ego, pisses everyone off...and he relishes in it and is absolutely unstoppable.
Clarke literally toe picked and as he was falling smoked that wrister pass wolf. He's just got it. 13 points in 14 games, second on the team as a d'man not too shabby at all, even in the AHL. His time will come.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Turcotte's played 105 AHL games in a little over 3 AHL seasons out of a possible 194 games to date, a victim of a shortened COVID season, at least 2 or 3 serious injuries, and a couple of brief NHL stints.

105 GP, 21 G, 49 A, +24. The reality is he's played about 1 1/2 season worth of AHL games, so the Kings may be sticking to the plan to make sure he can withstand the rigors of the pro game and see what a healthy player looks like, either for the purpose of actually have an asset to deal in a trade (he had very little value other than his draft standing to date) or his NHL future with LA. Roster spots this year are at a premium, and when Arvidsson is back it makes it even tougher for these kids to get a chance. It's his last wasted year for sure though, as he won't be waiver-exempt next season.

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Hopefully we see a GV type similar career arch for Turcotte: doubted & discounted by most due to injuries, etc......gets healthy, performs well his last waiver exempt season....shows up huge in TC the year he isn't exempt and forces his way into the lineup and a top 9 role....kills it as the season progress to become a mainstay (but doesn't get traded by RB the following season).

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Damn Toby just got smoked into the boards brodcast is not showing highlights of the hit looks like he's being taken off on a stretcher. AHL for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad