Who'll stop The Reign: The 2023-24 Ontario Reign Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I think Fagemo is now ready as well.
He never looked better and I am watching him for last 2 years in AHL.
I believe he can be successful secondary scorer in NHL.
P.S. In my opinion JAD is ready to be out of the Kings...
I want Fagemo to succeed as well, but he couldn't even hold a spot in Nashville and they are nowhere near as deep as the Kings offensively. The Kings may have 3 spots from Lewis, RV, and Roy, and that will be it I think. It's RV's spot or bust for Fagemo, he's not a 4th line type and doesn't bring that type of game. His best bet is to go somewhere like San Jose or Chicago where he'll get a huge opportunity.

Right now, I don't think any players in Ontario other than Turcotte, Portillo, and Clark have a decent shot at sticking with the Kings. A guy like Pinelli, Chromiak, etc. could step up and change that of course.

Reactions: Johnny Utah

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I want Fagemo to succeed as well, but he couldn't even hold a spot in Nashville and they are nowhere near as deep as the Kings offensively. The Kings may have 3 spots from Lewis, RV, and Roy, and that will be it I think. It's RV's spot or bust for Fagemo, he's not a 4th line type and doesn't bring that type of game. His best bet is to go somewhere like San Jose or Chicago where he'll get a huge opportunity.

Right now, I don't think any players in Ontario other than Turcotte, Portillo, and Clark have a decent shot at sticking with the Kings. A guy like Pinelli, Chromiak, etc. could step up and change that of course.

In my opinion--regardless of what I want--the only future Kings on the current Reign are Turcotte, Clarke, Portillo as a backup, and Helenius/Lee/Thomas as depth roles post-Lewis. I imagine Arvidsson is gone and that's Turcotte's opening, Roy is gone and that's Clarke's. Again, regardless of what I want, I think it's just salary considerations at some point.

I think Pinelli, Chromiak, Fagemo et. al. are all trade bait and gone as soon as the deadline. There is no opportunity for them to even get a cup of coffee. Bjornfot as well.

Fagemo in my eyes is a very complementary player so he's not a guy who is likely to 'steal' a spot, so I generally agree he may need somewhere young that has open opportunity to work in.

Blake doesn't seem keen on recycling assets for picks, so it'll be interesting to see what he does with all the chips. I imagine a backup goalie is on the menu somehow, as well as maybe another experienced depth forward that isn't JAD and a 7th dman.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
In my opinion--regardless of what I want--the only future Kings on the current Reign are Turcotte, Clarke, Portillo as a backup, and Helenius/Lee/Thomas as depth roles post-Lewis. I imagine Arvidsson is gone and that's Turcotte's opening, Roy is gone and that's Clarke's. Again, regardless of what I want, I think it's just salary considerations at some point.

I think Pinelli, Chromiak, Fagemo et. al. are all trade bait and gone as soon as the deadline. There is no opportunity for them to even get a cup of coffee. Bjornfot as well.

Fagemo in my eyes is a very complementary player so he's not a guy who is likely to 'steal' a spot, so I generally agree he may need somewhere young that has open opportunity to work in.

Blake doesn't seem keen on recycling assets for picks, so it'll be interesting to see what he does with all the chips. I imagine a backup goalie is on the menu somehow, as well as maybe another experienced depth forward that isn't JAD and a 7th dman.
I really like Pinelli and his skill set, his leadership, and his intangibles. I haven't given up on him by any means, but with him I always felt it was going to be how well he translated, and it really hasn't happened for him. He's got the ability to displace someone, but 3 points in 14 games at the AHL doesn't inspire confidence. He's 20 and just starting, but more often then not it's apparent pretty quickly how well a player will acclimate to the next level. We saw it in Spence, Laferriere, etc, so I was hoping for more.

Late bloomers just aren't very common, not enough to hang a hat on.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I really like Pinelli and his skill set, his leadership, and his intangibles. I haven't given up on him by any means, but with him I always felt it was going to be how well he translated, and it really hasn't happened for him. He's got the ability to displace someone, but 3 points in 14 games at the AHL doesn't inspire confidence. He's 20 and just starting, but more often then not it's apparent pretty quickly how well a player will acclimate to the next level. We saw it in Spence, Laferriere, etc, so I was hoping for more.

Late bloomers just aren't very common, not enough to hang a hat on.

I'm not giving up on him at all--the above isn't what i want to happen, it's just where I see the org right now--kids 22 and under are trade bait as they won't help the window.

I think Pinelli is at worst a future 3rd liner, he's a bit spicy and still learning a lot, and IMO smart enough to adapt his game as a checker. But I also think he has good pedigree value that would help in a trade.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

I wish I could disagree based on something more substantial than raw hope, but I get it.

I was pretty meh on Pinelli back in his draft year. I didn't watch much, but his play in Slovenia just looked uninspired. I didn't expect him to dominate an adult league, but as Slovenia isn't the highest level of competition in Europe, I was hoping he would at least look serviceable at that level. At first I wrote it off as different culture, etc, but he just seemingly has two settings - invisible or lead the team.

Reactions: Fishhead

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I used to compare him to Saad but maybe Derick Brassard? Good vision, likely to stick you and put his nose in the scrum. But he's clearly 2-3 years out at the least.

Reactions: Fishhead

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009

Considering we already lost Fagemo for nothing due to waivers at the beginning of the year, we could see the same thing playout next year. Why trade for Fagemo when it’s possible to get for free next year?

Laf will go down since he is waiver eligible (sounds a lot like Bjornfot doesn’t it?) and Turcotte will come up. Ideally we could trade Roy near the deadline (like Johnson way back) and return some assets.

Time will tell. I am fully preparing for Bjornfot and Fagemo being claimed for free.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
What a team.

Trailing 0-2 and still win 4-2.

Fagemo, what a shot that guy has.
You can’t tell me that doesnt work in the NHL.
Glad he is back in the pipeline.
I'm a huge Fagemo fan and I think the big thing for him is how he differentiates himself from other call-ups like Laferriere or Turcotte. He's been incredible since coming back to the Reign - it's unfortunate that we don't have any room for him right now.

I could see him pulling a Kempe at some point. He is a smart player and plays well defensively.

Last edited:

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
What a team.

Trailing 0-2 and still win 4-2.

Fagemo, what a shot that guy has.
You can’t tell me that doesnt work in the NHL.
Glad he is back in the pipeline.
Fagemo has always had a good shot, but he needs the time and space to use it. Those soft areas in the NHL aren't there like they are in the AHL. Also, a lot of his goals are cross-ice passes with the goalies moving, and NHL goalies actually get across. He needs to use his feet better so his hands can use the work.

He is a saavy guy though, his goals were super similar to Moore's today and he can score in a lot of different ways. Funny they had similar goals today because he's a lot like Moore without the constant motor. I'm glad they got him back and hoping it's been a wakeup call for him to bring everything he has every game.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Fagemo has always had a good shot, but he needs the time and space to use it. Those soft areas in the NHL aren't there like they are in the AHL. Also, a lot of his goals are cross-ice passes with the goalies moving, and NHL goalies actually get across. He needs to use his feet better so his hands can use the work.

He is a saavy guy though, his goals were super similar to Moore's today and he can score in a lot of different ways. Funny they had similar goals today because he's a lot like Moore without the constant motor. I'm glad they got him back and hoping it's been a wakeup call for him to bring everything he has every game.
Marco Sturm: On the play of Samuel Fagemo since he returned to the organization
He’s feeling it now and he’s having fun, and he knows it too. Like, I think he wants the puck more than in the past, especially on the power play and today it was nice to see him score five-on-five but you know, he’s not afraid to shoot because his shot is so dangerous. So, you know, we should give it to him all the time because he doesn’t need too many opportunities to get it in. As a forward that’s what you want, right? You want to feel good. You want to feel confident and right now he gets rewarded.

Vino

Mar 19, 2006
Finland
Ideally we could trade Roy near the deadline (like Johnson way back) and return some assets.

You mean that Blake trades top4-dman away to get "some assets" and when playoffs start King's RD is 33-years old Doughty, 22-years old inexperienced, undersized Spence and 21-years old rookie Clarke? And you think that is an ideal situation? WTF?

Kings is a really good team ( a true contender) and they need to add some depht - most likely experienced, gritty forward and dman - not trade away NHL-players.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
You mean that Blake trades top4-dman away to get "some assets" and when playoffs start King's RD is 33-years old Doughty, 22-years old inexperienced, undersized Spence and 21-years old rookie Clarke? And you think that is an ideal situation? WTF?

Kings is a really good team ( a true contender) and they need to add some depht - most likely experienced, gritty forward and dman - not trade away NHL-players.

It’s last year of Roy’s contract, correct? His value will be 5-6 million next year and Spence is looking great on the third pair.

So do you see Clarke getting traded? Spence traded? I agree that going into the playoffs trading away a top -4 is risky, but we did it in 2012 and you remember how that turned out.

You never want to lose a player for j nothing.

Roy is a great top-4 RD. On a pretty bargain contract. That has value and could get some good assets.

Reactions: kinghock

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
It’s last year of Roy’s contract, correct? His value will be 5-6 million next year and Spence is looking great on the third pair.

So do you see Clarke getting traded? Spence traded? I agree that going into the playoffs trading away a top -4 is risky, but we did it in 2012 and you remember how that turned out.

You never want to lose a player for j nothing.

Roy is a great top-4 RD. On a pretty bargain contract. That has value and could get some good assets.
You rarely see a playoff team trading away one of their cornerstones at the trade deadline. I can’t remember one this decade.

Yes, LA will loose him for nothing.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Fagemo is a classic AAAA player, I’m glad to see him producing in his 2nd stint here, but he just doesn’t play an NHL style of game.

I’d love to eat a gigantic plate of crow on Fagemo, but it’s Alex Turcotte and Brandt Clarke with an NHL future on the reign, and not anyone else really.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Byfield (RFA)-Kopitar-Kempe
Arvidsson(UFA)-Danault-Moore
Fiala-PLD-Kayilev (RFA)
Grundstrom(RFA)-Lizotte(RFA)-Lewis (UFA)

This is the Kings when healthy. So basically next summer there are two spots - a 2nd line winger and 4th line RW.

Also, note the Kings have 4 RFA’s up front - that’s a lot of potential raises. Of course they sign Byfield but I wouldn’t be shocked if one or two of the other three get dealt to insert a cost effective player from Ontario.

Helenius will eventually be the 4c. Many Kings people have said that - may take a few years.

I would argue that Laffy or Fagemo could take Arvidssons spot and Turcotte ends up on the 4th line to take the Lewis spot or one of the other two if they are dealt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad