Who'll stop The Reign: The 2023-24 Ontario Reign Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Pleased overall with what we have seen from Portillo so far. 5-1, .927 sv %, 2.17 GAA, outstanding numbers really, especially for a rookie. He's only had one poor start where he looked out of place and had some pretty busy feet. It will be interesting to see if the Kings think he has progressed enough in his first pro year to consider him to compete for a roster spot next season. He'll turn 23 in September. Good to possibly have someone in the pipeline that has potential in net.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
How’s Thomas so far this season? Is he not ready to make the jump for the 4th line RW position?
Akil is kind on an enigma, and very streaky. He was basically invisible for the first 10 games this season, I think he only had two assists. He has 3 goals and 2 assists, +3 in his last 7 games and seems to be building some chemistry with Turcotte. I noticed Thomas is taking a fair amount of draws too, even when not playing center. The problem is he seems to disappear too often. He's not particularly dynamic for his smaller size and gets knocked off the puck a lot. He's got a good accurate release, and decent vision. I don't seem him as a 4th line grinder type, he might end up being a career tweener. He turns 24 in January, I'm not convinced the Kings offer him another contract, maybe a one year if they feel injuries the past few years have delayed him enough to give him another shot.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Fagemo is a classic AAAA player, I’m glad to see him producing in his 2nd stint here, but he just doesn’t play an NHL style of game.

I’d love to eat a gigantic plate of crow on Fagemo, but it’s Alex Turcotte and Brandt Clarke with an NHL future on the reign, and not anyone else really.
I think you will eat a gigantic plate of crow on Fagemo.

Reactions: Frolov 6'3

Vino

Mar 19, 2006
Finland
It’s last year of Roy’s contract, correct? His value will be 5-6 million next year and Spence is looking great on the third pair.

So do you see Clarke getting traded? Spence traded? I agree that going into the playoffs trading away a top -4 is risky, but we did it in 2012 and you remember how that turned out.

You never want to lose a player for j nothing.

Roy is a great top-4 RD. On a pretty bargain contract. That has value and could get some good assets.

Kings should not trade any of Roy/Spence/Clarke. Championship window is open now and they should not waste it.

2012 was different situation. Voinov was ready (22 years old, 4th year pro, has played over 200 games in the AHL) and he was only rookie dman back then.

Scuderi - Doughty
Mitchell - Voinov
Martinez - Greene

vs.

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Roy
Englund - Spence

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Pleased overall with what we have seen from Portillo so far. 5-1, .927 sv %, 2.17 GAA, outstanding numbers really, especially for a rookie. He's only had one poor start where he looked out of place and had some pretty busy feet. It will be interesting to see if the Kings think he has progressed enough in his first pro year to consider him to compete for a roster spot next season. He'll turn 23 in September. Good to possibly have someone in the pipeline that has potential in net.

Busy feet was always the annoying thing for a dude so big. He seems so much calmer and settled in net, which is what you really need when you're a 6'6" sumo wrestler. No NEED to post to post every save like Quick.

Thomas so far is very mediocre.
Fagemo, Lee, Maltsev and obviously Turcotte are much better.

Let Thomas build back up. I think he 'gets it' at some point, if Amadio can do it so can Akil. We've seen how guys coming off injuries go. I can't see the Kings not giving him one more year to figure it out after being such a good trooper.

Fagemo--like others I think he's a guy who won't get a real chance here and NEEDS reps and rhythm to get going in the NHL. Maybe needs a team like Chicago that can work him in because he's not going to learn anything being an 8 minute forward deep in the lineup.

Lee--I absolutely love Lee. I don't think he has the foot speed for the NHL but I'd love to be wrong because I love his moxie and his hands in front. But like the above--when and how does he get an NHL chance? not likely in LA.

Maltsev was an interesting one as we discussed before becuase there's maybe some upside there and he's at least got a checking game. In a world where I'm not worried about getting Turcotte reps I'm thinking about him if a 4th liner goes down.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Fagemo is a classic AAAA player, I’m glad to see him producing in his 2nd stint here, but he just doesn’t play an NHL style of game.

I’d love to eat a gigantic plate of crow on Fagemo, but it’s Alex Turcotte and Brandt Clarke with an NHL future on the reign, and not anyone else really.

Yeah, Sammy is a really good AHL/EURO league player that can score. The problem is when he's up against the better players in the NHL and is asked to do other things, he's just not good enough.

Reactions: kings11

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
Yeah, Sammy is a really good AHL/EURO league player that can score. The problem is when he's up against the better players in the NHL and is asked to do other things, he's just not good enough.
Fagemo to the Guppies for their 2nd round pick!

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Portillo looked mostly good, but he is poorly coordinated for now.
When he falls down it take for him a lot of time to recover to standup position.

That's good to hear. I only see the game highlights so it doesn't tell much, but just from that he looks very floppy.

Reactions: kinghock

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Those two first goals by Rittich were stoppable. He's let in a lot of softies this year. Ouch.
All 3 of those... Yikes! The first he seems just badly off on his angle. He's too far to his left to cover his stick side cleanly and leaves that whole side open.

The second he looks like he's expecting a pass and leaves his five hole open while moving.

The third one he just comes off the post too early and gives up a bad angle goal.

All of those are mistakes an AHL veteran shouldn't be making.

bmr

Jan 23, 2013
All 3 of those... Yikes! The first he seems just badly off on his angle. He's too far to his left to cover his stick side cleanly and leaves that whole side open.

The second he looks like he's expecting a pass and leaves his five hole open while moving.

The third one he just comes off the post too early and gives up a bad angle goal.

All of those are mistakes an AHL veteran shouldn't be making.
Portillo definitely looks to assume the #1 role in Ontario. Did you know who the winning goalie was on Tucson? Villalta.

Reactions: lumbergh

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
Portillo definitely looks to assume the #1 role in Ontario. Did you know who the winning goalie was on Tucson? Villalta.
Figured that was case as last I looked, Villalta already had 10 games played this season. Tuscon seems to be leaning on him pretty heavily, and so far it seems to be paying off for both. Villalta's putting up career numbers in the A this year.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Did not watch the game vs the Firebirds, but looks like Helenius fought Melanson 2 mins into the game. Would have to assume the fight was initiated by Helenius to get payback for the hit on Bjornfot. No idea if he won, but it's good to see from the youngster!

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad