Who Would Make Canada's Roster If There Was Olympics This Year?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
At the risk of stating the obvious, Canadians are insane...

If any other country had 12 of the top 20 D-Men in scoring, there'd be threads proclaiming their dominance. Canadians, on the other hand, being the dummies WE are (NOT directed at any one poster), panic and whine we're not doing well enough on the back end.

What is wrong with us? :rolleyes:

Hamilton, Rielly?
I don't want either.

I see Reilly 82 times a year and... no.

I am NOT a fan of Hamilton.

Last edited:

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023

If any other country had 12 of the top 20 D-Men in scoring, there'd be threads proclaiming their dominance. Canadians, on the other hand, being the dummies WE are (NOT directed at any one poster), panic and whine we're not doing well enough on the back end.

I don't want either.

THANK YOU. Some rosters on here have Reilly and Hamilton over Morrisey and just no lol. Morrisey is easily Canada’s second best option in terms of offence on the blueline after Makar. He’s also a much better two-way guy than what people give him credit for. A LOT better than Reilly and Hamilton, that’s for sure. Used to kill penalties as well, so he can fill that role for Canada if needed.

He’s been carrying Winnipeg’s blueline for years and I would trust him with the puck in our Zone in a Gold medal game over Reilly and Hamilton any day of the week.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
THANK YOU. Some rosters on here have Reilly and Hamilton over Morrisey and just no lol. Morrisey is easily Canada’s second best option in terms of offence on the blueline after Makar. He’s also a much better two-way guy than what people give him credit for. A LOT better than Reilly and Hamilton, that’s for sure. Used to kill penalties as well, so he can fill that role for Canada if needed.

He’s been carrying Winnipeg’s blueline for years and I would trust him with the puck in our Zone in a Gold medal game over Reilly and Hamilton any day of the week.
:thumbu:

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

I don't want either.

I get your point, but a lot of those guys aren’t elite defensively, which is the issue. Canada is lacking the Norris level all around defenseman types in their prime that it used to have 3 or 4 of. Still, the defense at worst would be number 3 on paper after the US and Sweden and even then the three are probably pretty close.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I get your point, but a lot of those guys aren’t elite defensively, which is the issue. Canada is lacking the Norris level all around defenseman types in their prime that it used to have 3 or 4 of. Still, the defense at worst would be number 3 on paper after the US and Sweden and even then the three are probably pretty close.
NOTE : This is NOT directed at you Regal. I'm talking about Canadians in general.

A lot of the D-Men on other rosters are not elite defensively. They just pair them up with a defensive defensemen and move on.

You take the top 6 U.S. / Swedish defensemen and put a Canadian jersey on them and Canadian posters would say, “I don’t know. They don’t look very good”. You then take the Top 6 Canadian D-Men and put a U.S. / Swedish jersey on them and Canadians would say, "Man, I wish we had those guys".

I wish we had an ounce of U.S. confidence.

Last edited:

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
NOTE : This is NOT directed at you Regal. I'm talking about Canadians in general.

A lot of the D-Men on other rosters are not elite defensively. They just pair them up with a defensive defensemen and move on.

You take the top 6 U.S. / Swedish defensemen and put a Canadian jersey on them and Canadian posters would say, “I don’t know. They don’t look very good”. You then take the Top 6 Canadian D-Men and put a U.S. / Swedish jersey on them and Canadians would say, "Man, I wish we had those guys".

Canadians are so insecure it's painful. I wish we had an ounce of the U.S. confidence.

Agreed. The American and Swedish D-cores are marginally better than Canada’s. This is keeping in mind that both those country’s d-men don’t go down with injuries. I think people forget how many good Canadian defencemen there are in the NHL compared to the USA and Sweden. They have certainly tied or bettered Canada in their top 4, but top 6 and depth wise, Canada edges them I.e: Doughty or Ekblad > Forsling or Seth Jones.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Agreed. The American and Swedish D-cores are marginally better than Canada’s. This is keeping in mind that both those country’s d-men don’t go down with injuries. I think people forget how many good Canadian defencemen there are in the NHL compared to the USA and Sweden. They have certainly tied or bettered Canada in their top 4, but top 6 and depth wise Canada edges them.
I don't think they are better Top 4.

Look at the D-Men dominating the playoffs in the last couple years. It's Canadian kids on Colorado and Vegas. There's more to being a great D-Man than stats being split a hundred ways or being flashy.

Reading the insecurity spewed by Canadians (NOT directed at any one poster) is so off putting. No matter how much we win on the international level or in the Stanley Cup playoffs, we have NO confidence in ourselves. It's such a shame.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I don't mean to harp on this but imagine if any other country had these pairings...

Toews-Makar
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Morrissey - Doughty / Dobson
Power

They'd say...

"Look at our D. We have the BEST D-Man in the game in Makar. We have the 4 D-Men that dominated / won the Stanley Cup the last 2 years. We have Doughty who has experience in the Olympics / winning Best on Best, and we have young Power who has all the tools to be GREAT. I LOVE our D."

Instead, Canadians say, "Looks weak. I don't like our chances".

Oy! Only Canadians.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Byfield with an assist, tonight. He is just under a PPG while averaging only 15 minutes a game. He will be amazing by 2025.

I am back to giving up on LAF. :(

Last edited:

MrCreamm

Nov 16, 2023
Byfield with an assist, tonight. He is just under a PPG while averaging only 15 minutes a game. He will be amazing by 2025.

I am back to giving up on LAF. :(
I'm still optimistic for Lafrienere, this season has definitely got him trending up, which is where you want it to be. Opinion pre-season was that this is sort of do or die to see what Lafrienere can/will become, and he's playing his best hockey while getting top 6 opportunity, he doesn't even have PP1 time too. Plus the fact he's scoring goals at a good rate is much more encouraging than if his goals and assists were reversed. I think the assists will come too.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I'm still optimistic for Lafrienere, this season has definitely got him trending up, which is where you want it to be. Opinion pre-season was that this is sort of do or die to see what Lafrienere can/will become, and he's playing his best hockey while getting top 6 opportunity, he doesn't even have PP1 time too. Plus the fact he's scoring goals at a good rate is much more encouraging than if his goals and assists were reversed. I think the assists will come too.
I agree, 100%. If you subtracted the PP1 time from all the other Top Scorers, they'd be lucky to have is goal numbers.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I don't mean to harp on this but imagine if any other country had these pairings...

Toews-Makar
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Power

They'd say...

"Look at our D. We have the BEST D-Man in the game in Makar. We have the 4 D-Men that dominated / won the Stanley Cup the last 2 years. We have Doughty who has experience in the Olympics / winning Best on Best, and we have young Power who has all the tools to be GREAT. I LOVE our D."

Oy! Only Canadians.
I think for some its the fact the Americans have caught up to and probably passed Canada in terms of depth on the backend, been spoiled for... forever. Its still is a top tier group for sure though

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
He is inconsistent, tho - hopefully that will go away with time. 7 goals for the Rangers, today, and not a point for LAF.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

Toews-Makar
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Power

They'd say...

Oy! Only Canadians.

100% agree.

It's a world-class defensive core with tangible "winning" playoff experience too. You can expect all of them to elevate their game on the biggest stage because they've already done it in the past for the cup or playoffs.

Not to mention the idea of throwing out the Makar pairing with McDavid's line is obscene. They will run rings around the competition when in full flow.

Reactions: jj cale and cg98

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

Toews-Makar
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Power

They'd say...

Oy! Only Canadians.
its a fantastic d-set, i have usa and u guys as the best

Reactions: jj cale

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
McDavid, MacKinnon, Crosby, Marchand, Point, Stone, Stamkos, Marner, Schiefle, Hyman, Tavares, Bedard, Robert Thomas, Reinhart, Benn

Makar, Theodore, Pietrangelo, Toews, Morissey, Doughty, Reilly, Dobson

Hart-Hill-who cares (Binnington I guess?).

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
McDavid, MacKinnon, Crosby, Marchand, Point, Stone, Stamkos, Marner, Schiefle, Hyman, Tavares, Bedard, Robert Thomas, Reinhart, Benn

Makar, Theodore, Pietrangelo, Toews, Morissey, Doughty, Dobson

Hart-Hill
I don't know what to think about Hyman. He looks great but how much of that is because of his play with McDavid - and does it even matter?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't know what to think about Hyman. He looks great but how much of that is because of his play with McDavid - and does it even matter?

Well is there a McDavid on the team? He's also played well with Marner in the past.

And it's good to have players that are a little more grind and hustle and not just all skill but can also play with skilled players. Kunitz made it to Team Canada based on playing with Crosby, Hyman is a better player.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Well is there a McDavid on the team? He's also played well with Marner in the past.

And it's good to have players that are a little more grind and hustle and not just all skill but can also play with skilled players. Kunitz made it to Team Canada based on playing with Crosby, Hyman is a better player.
That's fair and they do have chemistry so...

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I’m including Bedard and Byfield in my team without hesitation. Bedard would easily be on a 100+ point pace if he had a remotely competent powerplay to work with, and Byfield is already right around P/GP with still-limited minutes and LA’s best overall player.

McTavish-McDavid-Bedard
Byfield-Crosby-MacKinnon
Stamkos-Point-Marner
Scheifele-Thomas-Stone

Reinhart may take the edge over Marchand, Hagel, Hyman, Suzuki, Konecny, Barzal, etc. as my extra forward as of today. Dach, Laf, Perfetti, Johnston, Jarvis are guys I’m watching who could really break out and make themselves indispensable.

Toews-Makar
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Morrissey-Doughty

Defense almost writes itself out as of now. Rielly, Sanheim, Chychrun, Chabot, Dunn, etc. could all fill in admirably. Got my eye on Byram, Power, Dobson, Drysdale as primary candidates to break out and claim a spot.

Goalies are looking better than I expected this year relative to the pack. The pool of hitting-their-prime guys in Hill, Thompson, Ingram, Jarry, and Hart should be able to provide two guys who can lock it down behind that terrific D-corps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad