Who Would Make Canada's Roster If There Was Olympics This Year?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023

When I look at a roster for 2025 or 2026, our forward depth is not as good as the Americans. McDavid, MacKinnon, Point and Marner are locks. Bedard likely makes it to. Outside of that, Canada looks bleak. An aging Marchand, Crosby, and Stamkos likely make it but they’ll be outshined by the Tkachuk brothers in their primes, Matthews, Hughes, Jrob. America’s ancillary players are just plain better and more established. I’d rather have guys like Eichel, Connor, Keller, Debrincat, Larkin, Boldy, Berniers, Caufield, Thompson, Tuch and Cooley over some of Canada’s offerings.

Anything can change by 2026 tho. Kyrou, McTavish, Cozens, Thomas, PLD and Suzuki could all transform into 80+ point scorers. Konency is a nice option, other than that Canada will have to rely on Huberdeau’s corpse and Zach Hyman to take them to gold.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
When I look at a roster for 2025 or 2026, our forward depth is not as good as the Americans. McDavid, MacKinnon, Point and Marner are locks. Bedard likely makes it to. Outside of that, Canada looks bleak. An aging Marchand, Crosby, and Stamkos likely make it but they’ll be outshined by the Tkachuk brothers in their primes, Matthews, Hughes, Jrob. America’s ancillary players are just plain better and more established. I’d rather have guys like Eichel, Connor, Keller, Debrincat, Larkin, Boldy, Berniers, Caufield, Thompson, Tuch and Cooley over some of Canada’s offerings.

Anything can change by 2026 tho. Kyrou, McTavish, Cozens, Thomas, PLD and Suzuki could all transform into 80+ point scorers. Konency is a nice option, other than that Canada will have to rely on Huberdeau’s corpse and Zach Hyman to take them to gold.
We'll be fine upfront. A little old in the tooth but...

I'm sure a player or two (or four) will come out of the woodwork and earn a spot in the next 2 years.

Having said all that, I understand your concern.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

Using the attached lineup as an example, I am sure we'll find a replacement for Hyman (???A) and Huberdeau (???B)...

???A - Connor McDavid - Mitch Marner
Steven Stamkos - Nathan MacKinnon - Brayden Point
Brad Marchand - Sidney Crosby - Connor Bedard
???B - Dylan Cozens - Mark Stone

Add Mark Scheifele, Nick Suzuki, John Tavares or Mason McTavish, Seth Jarvis, Carter Verhaeghe
Fantilli, Byfield, etc.

It's a heck of a team - albeit kinda old in spots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leafshater67

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023

Using the attached lineup as an example, I am sure we'll find a replacement for Hyman (???A) and Huberdeau (???B)...

???A - Connor McDavid - Mitch Marner
Steven Stamkos - Nathan MacKinnon - Brayden Point
Brad Marchand - Sidney Crosby - Connor Bedard
???B - Dylan Cozens - Mark Stone

Add Mark Scheifele, Nick Suzuki and maybe Tavares or Mason McTavish, Seth Jarvis, Fantilli, Byfield, etc.

It's a heck of a team - albeit kinda old in spots.

It’s VERY old in spots. We have 3 players in our top 9 who will be OLDER THAN 35 in 2025 (Crosby, Marchand, Stamkos). I’m taking the Tkachuk bros, Jack Hughes, Tage Thompson, Kyle Connor, Eichel and Jrob who will virtually all be in their primes or close to it.

I don’t think Canada will have speed issues like they did in 2006 tho. They still have McDavid, Point and MacKinnon in their top 6.

This is how I have Team USA’s Forward:

Robertson-Matthews-M.Tkachuk
B.Tkachuk-Hughes-Thompson
Connor—Eichel—Keller
Guentzel-Larkin-DeBrincat

Extras: Tuch, Caufield, Boldy, Cooley

If even one of McDavid or MacKinnon gets injured, you can’t tell me you’re not taking that forward group over Canada’s.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It’s VERY old in spots. We have 3 players in our top 9 who will be OLDER THAN 35 in 2025 (Crosby, Marchand, Stamkos). I’m taking the Tkachuk bros, Jack Hughes, Tage Thompson, Kyle Connor, Eichel and Jrob who will virtually all be in their primes or close to it.

I don’t think Canada will have speed issues like they did in 2006 tho. They still have McDavid, Point and MacKinnon in their top 6.

This is how I have Team USA’s Forward:

Robertson-Matthews-M.Tkachuk
B.Tkachuk-Hughes-Thompson
Connor—Eichel—Keller
Guentzel-Larkin-DeBrincat

Extras: Tuch, Caufield, Boldy, Cooley, Beniers

If even one of McDavid or MacKinnon gets injured, you can’t tell me you’re not taking that forward group over Canada’s.
If McDavid on MacK get hurt, things change, but the same could be said for Hughes / Eichel who are injury prone. Also, as great as he is in the regular season, as a Leaf fan, I can say honestly Matthews disappears when the going gets tough.

Having said all that, I see your concern. As we said before, the Black Hole that is the 2016 - 2018 drafts really hurt. On the plus side, our old players are being named because they are still great - I watched the Pitt/LA game last night and Sid was the best player on the ice.

Also, EVERY year in the NHL playoffs, it's a bunch of Canadian kids dominating. That has to work in our favour.

In summary, if we're going to lose our Best-On-Best Crown, I agree, 2025 - 2026 is likely that tournament - it's a weak team by Canadian standards. By 2030, I really like our team as this wave of U.S. stars start to look old and we have a ton of amazing players in the pipe line.

Last edited:

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
I think our d-core is fine. Could you ask for a Slavin-like player? Sure, but you can get some of that with Toews and Pelech. On the right side you have Dobson as you mentioned, but you also have Hamilton, Ekblad, Montour. Not sure how Drysdale will plan out, but he’s also an option. Left side is stacked with Toews, Morrisey, Theodore, Chabot, Pelech, Power. Canada’s main problem is goaltending and their forward depth.

IMG_9255.jpeg

Toews, Spurgeon, and Pelech are thé ones who most directly fit that role; Toews is a lock I think he’s a top defender in the league. I would also watch the development of Kaiden Guhle closer, has been clocked skating faster than McDavid (I’m not joking) and is decent in his own end, if he develops how he should he would be great at defending opposition speed players in transition

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Bedard has to make the team in ‘26. He will be in year three by then and he’s already a very good nhl level goal scorer who broke junior tournament records and stuff.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Bedard has to make the team in ‘26. He will be in year three by then and he’s already a very good nhl level goal scorer who broke junior tournament records and stuff.
I've heard '25 and '26. By year 3, for sure.

Wyatt Johnston will be a name to be considered in 2 years.

Reactions: jj cale

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
People knocking our forward depth for 'age', in a few years things will be far different. Here are some players, including younger ones that we have going forward:

Bedard
Fantilli
Reinhart
Johnston
McTavish
Thomas
Cozens
Perfetti
Suzuki
Lafreniere
Konecny
Byfield
Jarvis

Quite a few of these guys are breaking out early on this year, with Lafreniere and Byfield seemingly taking much needed steps in progressing as NHL players. Other guys coming like Catton, Celebrini, Misa, McKenna are promising. Even though the older forward depth doesn’t look as young and flashy on paper they all have experience winning in both NHL playoffs and international tournaments.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
People knocking our forward depth for 'age', in a few years things will be far different. Here are some players, including younger ones that we have going forward:

Bedard
Fantilli
Reinhart
Johnston
McTavish
Thomas
Cozens
Perfetti
Suzuki
Lafreniere
Konecny
Byfield
Jarvis

Quite a few of these guys are breaking out early on this year, with Lafreniere and Byfield seemingly taking much needed steps in progressing as NHL players. Other guys coming like Catton, Celebrini, Misa, McKenna are promising. Even though the older forward depth doesn’t look as young and flashy on paper they all have experience winning in both NHL playoffs and international tournaments.
Good post. Well said.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Sam Reinhart NEVER gets mentioned and he's turned into a heck of a player. Smart too.

I'd rather have some of these younger guns than Grandpa Stamkos. Suzuki or Jarvis are probably better 2 way right now.

Hopefully Fantilli is ready for 2026.
McTavish could be ready.

I don't know...that I even consider the US lineup....

Bedard - Connor McDavid - Mitch Marner
Fantilli - Nathan MacKinnon - Brayden Point
Brad Marchand - Sidney Crosby - Suzuki
McTavish/Jarvis - Dylan Cozens - Mark Stone

and yes I think Celebrini will be sniffing this team already in 2026, Cozens / Stone better watchout

Reactions: Smif

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I'd rather have some of these younger guns than Grandpa Stamkos. Suzuki or Jarvis are probably better 2 way right now.

McTavish could be ready.

and yes I think Celebrini will be sniffing this team already in 2026, Cozens / Stone better watchout
Yup. We might have Byfield and W Johnston fighting for a spot. Perhaps LAF nudges out (an older) Marchand.

Last edited:

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Bedard has looked unreal the past couple of games. Didn’t expect him to pop off so soon. Kid could carry Canada to a Gold by himself if he keeps this up.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023

McTavish could be ready.

1st line is unreal. Marner and McDavid will be in their primes setting up Bedard.

2nd line is good. I don’t know how good Fantilli will be by 2026. I think he likely makes it, but is probably on the 3rd line. I know you dismissed Stamkos, but he has chemistry with point and fulfills the goal-scorer role for the 2nd line. He still puts up points and I don’t think you’ll notice his age as much when he’s playing with speedsters in Point and Mack.

3rd line? I don’t know about Suzuki. I think there’s better offensive options. Someone who isn’t getting any love on these rosters is Robert Thomas. He’s just as young as Suzuki, I’d argue a better two-way player than him and might be one of the most underrated playmakers in the league. I’d rather have Barzal over Suzuki as well. His creativity and speed would flourish away from the Islanders system.

4th line- I’m big on Celebrini. Cozens likely makes it too. McTavish looks good too.

So far, the start of the 2024 season has looked promising for the Canadian kids. Hopefully they keep this up

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023

McTavish could be ready.

1st line is unreal. Marner and McDavid will be in their primes setting up Bedard.

2nd line is good. I don’t know good Fantilli will be by 2026. I think he likely makes it, but is probably on the 3rd line. I know you dismissed Stamkos, but he has chemistry with point and fulfills the goal-scorer role for the 2nd line. He still puts up points and I don’t think you’ll notice his age as much when he’s playing with speedsters in Point and Mack.

3rd line? I don’t know about Suzuki. I think there’s better offensive options. I would take Barzal over him

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

2nd line is good. I don’t know good Fantilli will be by 2026. I think he likely makes it, but is probably on the 3rd line. I know you dismissed Stamkos, but he has chemistry with point and fulfills the goal-scorer role for the 2nd line. He still puts up points and I don’t think you’ll notice his age as much when he’s playing with speedsters in Point and Mack.

3rd line? I don’t know about Suzuki. I think there’s better offensive options. I would take Barzal over him

Fantilli can bring his own features to that line that Stamkos can't. I agree it's early - a bit of a projection there, but since we know who we are playing against, I think it's fair to say speed will be critical against that US group. Fantilli has more of that, with some size than most other options. Ultimately, Stone might be the guy on that line (to shut down Eichel). Stamkos would get exposed. I fear Samkos against the Swedes/Finns even more. He's lost quite a step; he can float against weaker players and wait for others to grind in the corners for him. At the Olympics, we should have zero passengers. Lafreniere is having a bit of a coming out, he's the other option as he should become our best natural LW if everything goes well from here (he was always gonna take a while).

Crosby isn't an easy person to match with others; Suzuki is the right style of player (he plays a lot like Bergeron). Barzal would not work because he doesn't bring it on the defensive side enough. East-west players are needed here; Suzuki is Bergeron's heir apparent before Celebrini matures up for 2030.

Bedard - McDavid - McKenna
Fantilli - Celebrini - Benson
Lafreniere - Cozens - Marner
Jarvis - Susuki - McTavish
Misa - Mckinnon - Point/Catton

Last edited:

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Fantilli can bring his own features to that line that Stamkos can't. I agree it's early - a bit of a projection there, but since we know who we are playing against, I think it's fair to say speed will be critical against that US group. Fantilli has more of that, with some size than most other options. Ultimately, Stone might be the guy on that line (to shut down Eichel). Stamkos would get exposed. I fear Samkos against the Swedes/Finns even more. He's lost quite a step; he can float against weaker players and wait for others to grind in the corners for him. At the Olympics, we should have zero passengers. Lafreniere is having a bit of a coming out, he's the other option as he should become our best natural LW if everything goes well from here (he was always gonna take a while).

Crosby isn't an easy person to match with others; Suzuki is the right style of player (he plays a lot like Bergeron). Barzal would not work because he doesn't bring it on the defensive side enough. East-west players are needed here; Suzuki is Bergeron's heir apparent before Celebrini matures up for 2030.

Bedard - McDavid - McKenna
Fantilli - Celebrini - Benson
Lafreniere - Cozens - Marner
Jarvis - Susuki - McTavish
Misa - Mckinnon - Point/Catton

Don’t know why my comment got cut-off. After my Barzal suggestion, I suggested Robert Thomas. He doesn’t get talked about enough on these rosters. He’s bigger and just as young as Suzuki. I’d argue he’s better defensively and he’s easily one of the most underrated playmakers in the league. I think he would work perfect on Crosby’s wing. He’s also a better face-off taker than Suzuki should the occasion arise. Not a big stats guy, but Thomas had our scored Suzuki the last 2 seasons.

Reactions: SOLR

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Don’t know why my comment got cut-off. After my Barzal suggestion, I suggested Robert Thomas. He doesn’t get talked about enough on these rosters. He’s bigger and just as young as Suzuki. I’d argue he’s better defensively and he’s easily one of the most underrated playmakers in the league. I think he would work perfect on Crosby’s wing. He’s also a better face-off taker than Suzuki should the occasion arise. Not a big stats guy, but Thomas had our scored Suzuki the last 2 seasons.

Thomas is pretty good, I agree they are in a competition these two.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
I really doubt Stone, Stamkos or Marchand will be in the conversation in 2026, just due to their advanced age. Its unfortunately because Canada lacks natural wingers.

But - Byfield has been playing a nice power game this season almost exclusively on the wing, so he will hopefully enter the conversation soon along with Jarvis and maybe even Lafreniere as good options at the wing positions.

Konecny will be a good option on the wing for the next 3-4 years imo as someone who is skilled and productive offensively and can bring some other attributes to the table. He's likely to get traded to a contender at the deadline this year so we'll (hopefully) have an opportunity to see him play in some meaningful games in the spring/summer. Someone like Mercer, who is a good north/south winger and can complement highly-skilled centres may also get a look (although I know he's gotten off to a mediocre start this season).

We have a multitude of good young centers, maybe not superstars, but can push for a roster spot in 2026. Thomas, Suzuki, Johnston, Cozens, McTavish, then Bedard and Fantilli. Bedard will almost certainly force his way onto a 2026 team (as a winger in my view), but some of these other players will need to show some versatility between now and then to secure wing positions. Nothing to really worry about from a forward depth perspective imo.

By 2026 I can see Crosby playing a much lesser role than he had in the past, maybe as a winger on a scoring line or a centre on a defensive line.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
I really doubt Stone, Stamkos or Marchand will be in the conversation in 2026, just due to their advanced age. Its unfortunately because Canada lacks natural wingers.

But - Byfield has been playing a nice power game this season almost exclusively on the wing, so he will hopefully enter the conversation soon along with Jarvis and maybe even Lafreniere as good options at the wing positions.

Konecny will be a good option on the wing for the next 3-4 years imo as someone who is skilled and productive offensively and can bring some other attributes to the table. He's likely to get traded to a contender at the deadline this year so we'll (hopefully) have an opportunity to see him play in some meaningful games in the spring/summer. Someone like Mercer, who is a good north/south winger and can complement highly-skilled centres may also get a look (although I know he's gotten off to a mediocre start this season).

We have a multitude of good young centers, maybe not superstars, but can push for a roster spot in 2026. Thomas, Suzuki, Johnston, Cozens, McTavish, then Bedard and Fantilli. Bedard will almost certainly force his way onto a 2026 team (as a winger in my view), but some of these other players will need to show some versatility between now and then to secure wing positions. Nothing to really worry about from a forward depth perspective imo.

By 2026 I can see Crosby playing a much lesser role than he had in the past, maybe as a winger on a scoring line or a centre on a defensive line.

Marchand and Stamkos are still elite players and putting up numbers, but I get what u mean. They’ll be stale by 2026. Agree with you on Crosby. I would still have him at centre because of his face-offs, poise and vision. But he’ll likely centre the 3rd/4th line with PP time. He may even pick up some PK responsibilities here and there too.

Konecny and Reinhart are good 4th line options. Reliable penalty killers, consistent producers and can be trusted defensively. I feel like our bottom 6 is missing that “woww” factor. For example, Nash and Toews provided that offensive firepower in our bottom 6 in 2010 while providing a strong forecheck. Im hoping Celebrini changes that and the way McTavish is playing, he may very well be Canada’s wildcard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad