Who Would Make Canada's Roster If There Was Olympics This Year?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Nugent Hopkins - McDavid - Marner
Marchand - Crosby -McKinnon
Stamkos - Point - Bedard (or bench)
Schiefele - Danualt - Stone
Hyman (could put him on the first line and slide guys down the lineup accordingly, which could leave Danault on the bench if they don't need a premier shut down guy, or Scheifele if they do.

Defense:
Toews-Makar
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Nurse - Doughty
Morrisey

If they have room for Owen Power, I'd try to get him there too.

Goalie: we have goalies?
Carter Hart gets the nod for me for now
Stuart Skinner as backup.
Darnell Nurse? Has no business on this roster. Pelech, Hamilton, Ekblad, Montour, Chabot, Byram, Dobson, Spurgeon and even Morgan Reilly > Nurse.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
I could entertain an argument for a couple of those guys.
There’s no argument to be made lol. Pelech is a top 10 shutdown guy in the league and is a lock on most of these mock teams. Despite Ekblad’s fall-off since his injury, he’s still better both offensively and defensively than Nurse. Chabot and Byram show more upside than Nurse ever has on both ends of the ice and Dougie Hamilton is simply a better offensive option. Spurgeon is also a reliable stay-at home option for Canada. I’m not saying Darnell Nurse isn’t good offensively, you simply don’t need him when you have guys like Makar, Theodore and Morrisey on the roster already.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
There’s no argument to be made lol. Pelech is a top 10 shutdown guy in the league and is a lock on most of these mock teams. Despite Ekblad’s fall-off since his injury, he’s still better both offensively and defensively than Nurse. Chabot and Byram show more upside than Nurse ever has on both ends of the ice and Dougie Hamilton is simply a better offensive option. Spurgeon is also a reliable stay-at home option for Canada. I’m not saying Darnell Nurse isn’t good offensively, you simply don’t need him when you have guys like Makar, Theodore and Morrisey on the roster already.
Pelech and Spurgeon. I can understand those guys making a team like this over Nurse, but the rest are either one way only players, or just aren't as rounded. Nurse is way better than most here think. He makes the odd mistake, but he's always on the ice against the top opponents and comes out ahead, regardless of what forward line is out there with him (so no, it isn't only due to McDavid and Draisaitl). If you prefer a stay at home only guy, sure, take Pelech or Sturgeon. Nurse plays in all situations aside from the powerplay though, he's more versatile, and doesn't need to be sheltered to be good like some of the defensemen you listed as better options.

armChairScout

Jun 19, 2023
Needs to prove he can play at a consistent level with which he finished last year with; right side is very deep though with Makar, Pietrangelo, and Hamilton all being top 15 defenders in the league; and players like Dobson, Ekblad, or Doughty who could stake a claim for a spot
Also , Owen power , he is really good and young and big

I think both Bouchard and power will be here one day

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Also , Owen power , he is really good and young and big

I think both Bouchard and power will be here one day
As of now, Bouchard wouldn’t even crack Canada’s B-Team. Possibly in the future though.

A-Team:

Toews-Makar
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Pelech-Morrisey

B-Team:

Chabot-Hamilton
Spurgeon-Ekblad
Montour-Doughty

Reilly, Byram, Dobson, Power, Dunn, Weegar and Chychurn would probably round out C-Team. Bouchard would be a C-Team shortlist or D-Team LOCK with guys like Sam Girard, Colton Parayko, Ryan Pulock, Darnell Nurse and Kris Letang. Who knows by 2026 though, Bouchard might make it.

Last edited:

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
I take him on the B team easily and maybe even over Pelech on the a team, he’s so good defensively and can be an effective play driver first pass man on offense
Pelech clears Bouchard defensively. He’s a top 10 shutdown guy in the league anlong with guys like Brodin, McAvoy, Slavin, Heskinanen, Tanev, Lindholm and should be a LOCK. Byram was on pace for more points this year, has more upside, is faster than Bouchard and better defensively. You can argue him for B-Team sure, but in no way does Hockey Canada take him in a best-on-best this year.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
You don't hear this very often but LAF was GREAT, tonight, and QB scores last night. Maybe the 2020 Draft is making an impact?
If Laf, Nolan Patrick and Byfield had panned out the way they were supposed to, I don’t think we’d be hearing all this moaning and groaning.

A lot of Canada’s elite talent was drafted in 2011-2015: Mcdavid, MacKinnon, Marner, Barzal, Point, Huberdeau, Schiefele, Stone, Theodore, Hamilton, Morrisey, Ekblad, Toews, Chabot.

In contrast, the USA had stronger classes in 2016-2020 and so Canada is still relying on guys like Stamkos, Marchand and Pietrangelo to fill in the shoes. That’s not to say Canada didn’t produce good talent in those years: Makar, Thomas, Suzuki, Mercer, Byram, Cozens and Kyrou. It’s just that they lack in comparison to USA’s 2016-2020: Matthews, the Tkachuks, the Hughes, Jrob, Tage Thompson, Otter, McAvoy, Zegras, Caufield, Fox, Sanderson and Boldy smoke those guys.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Is it safe to say Adin Hill would be our starter at the moment?
It’s a toss-up for Canadian goaltending right now. Who ever is hot. Right now, probably Hill. You could argue Thompson, Hart or Kuemper though.

There’s very locks up front as well. Outside of McDavid, Mack, Crosby, Point and Marner. Stamkos and Marchand likely make it, but then it’s a lot of question marks.

Bedard?
PLD?
Barzal?
Huberdeau?
Schiefele?
Thomas?
RNH?
Kyrou?
Tavares?
Cozens?

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
It’s a toss-up for Canadian goaltending right now. Who ever is hot. Right now, probably Hill. You could argue Thompson, Hart or Kuemper though.

There’s very locks up front as well. Outside of McDavid, Mack, Crosby, Point and Marner. Stamkos and Marchand likely make it, but then it’s a lot of question marks.

Bedard?
PLD?
Barzal?
Huberdeau?
Schiefele?
Thomas?
RNH?
Kyrou?
Tavares?
Cozens?

We are in a tight spot with goaltending. This is not a good sign for Canada right now. Even up until 2016 we had pretty solid goaltending and depth. In 2016 we had Price, then Holtby who had just won the Vezina, and then Crawford who had just won a couple of Cups. None of them are in the NHL anymore.

There was a time when Canada had at least half of the best goalies in the NHL. It is pretty scary right now. I like what Hill did with Vegas in the playoffs but we have some slim pickings. FLeury is old and Price is gone. There really isn't anyone left that is elite. I know someone always comes out of the woodwork but I don't know who it is now. I guess you can say that Kuemper and then Hill were the last two Cup winning goalies, if that helps. Could be worse I guess, but man we don't have a star goalie. Is that D'Aigle kid from the QMJHL still a hot prospect for the 2025 draft?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Bedard is exceeding HIGH expectations. LAF with a 3 point night. Byfield is (almost) a PPG. Plus, there are a ton of new kids coming. All of a sudden, Canada's future looks much brighter.

Even Nick Suzuki is looking really good (I am not a fan).

Last edited:

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Bedard is exceeding HIGH expectations. LAF with a 3 point night. Byfield is (almost) a PPG. Plus, there are a ton of new kids coming. All of a sudden, Canada's future looks much brighter.

Did it ever not look good?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Did it ever not look good?
It was getting worrisome. The 2016 - 2018 Drafts were garbage for Canada and when the average NHL career is 4.5 years, it takes its toll. The 2019-2020 Drafts have a LOT of Canadian talent but, unfortunately, they're taking their time stepping up. For those reasons, when choosing players for Team Canada's future Best On Best, the team ends up looking OLD.

Also worrisome : The U.S. produced HIGH end talent from 2016 - 2019. Many of whom succeeded right out of the box.

On the plus side : Canada has an avalanche of YOUNG talent coming. We just have to hope the older players can hold the fort until the new players are ready.

Last edited:

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
It was getting worrisome. The 2016 - 2018 Drafts were garbage for Canada and when the average NHL career is 4.5 years, it takes its toll. Add the fact that while the 2019-2020 Drafts have a LOT of Canadian talent, they're taking their time stepping up. For those reasons, when choosing players for Team Canada's upcoming Best On Best, the team ends up looking OLD.

Also worrisome : The U.S. produced HIGH end talent from 2016 - 2019. Many of whom succeeded right out of the box.

On the plus side : Canada has an avalanche of YOUNG talent coming so... We have to hope the older players can hold the fort until the new players are ready.

Honestly,

If Laf can even become half of the player that he was supposed to be, I’d have him on Team Canada.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Honestly,

If Laf can even become half of the player that he was supposed to be, I’d have him on Team Canada.
When I watched him play this year, he's been terrific. Let's hope all the young prospects reach their potential soon - before the old guard gets too old.

Last edited:

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Noah Dobson playing Norris-level hockey, would slide in nicely as 3rd RD behind Makar and Pietrangelo

I think our d-core is fine. Could you ask for a Slavin-like player? Sure, but you can get some of that with Toews and Pelech. On the right side you have Dobson as you mentioned, but you also have Hamilton, Ekblad, Montour. Not sure how Drysdale will plan out, but he’s also an option. Left side is stacked with Toews, Morrisey, Theodore, Chabot, Pelech, Power. Canada’s main problem is goaltending and their forward depth.

Reactions: Mathieukferland

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad