Who Would Make Canada's Roster If There Was Olympics This Year?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Marchand - Crosby - MacKinnon
Point -McDavid-Stone
Bedard-Stamkos-Marner
Benn-Danault-Konecny

Toews-Makar
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Morrissey-Hamilton

Hart

Don't think MacKinnon, Mcdavid or Marner would fit well on the same line they're all carrying the puck so much alone

Nova Scotia line would be just perfect roled

I think Bedard is already in.

Kyrou -38 on borderline playoff team??? OUT

Last edited:
Reactions: Fatass

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Canada had a sub gen of forwards after McDavid’s cohort that produced lots of busts and not a lot of ones that look particularly high end. Like 98-01 birth years. However if Bedard’s cohort changes that then they’ll be fine long term for any real or fictional best on best competition.
Agree 100%.

There is just too many top end prospects for us NOT to have a new generation soon. Especially if some of the "busts" start to produce (LAF QB), we will be set.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Marchand - Crosby - MacKinnon
Point -McDavid-Stone
Bedard-Stamkos-Marner
Benn-Danault-Konecny

Toews-Makar
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Morrissey-Hamilton

Hart

Don't think MacKinnon, Mcdavid or Marner would fit well on the same line they're all carrying the puck so much alone

Nova Scotia line would be just perfect roled

I think Bedard is already in.

Kyrou -38 on borderline playoff team??? OUT
I like this team, tempting not to put McDavid and Bédard together right away though

Reactions: Miro4Norris

EquivalentStay

Jul 27, 2020
Your 4th line is painful - I can't believe any of the 3 would play on Team Canada but, as you said, Canada's in a rut. All we can hope is the newest generation steps up - we'll go from having an old team to having a very young one.
You were also steadfast in your hatred for Marner and that he shouldn't be on the team, so I don't know if you're one to judge here.

Reactions: smitty10

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Canada had a sub gen of forwards after McDavid’s cohort that produced lots of busts and not a lot of ones that look particularly high end. Like 98-01 birth years. However if Bedard’s cohort changes that then they’ll be fine long term for any real or fictional best on best competition.

Dach and Lafreniere are not busts yet; sometimes, it takes a little more time. I think many players who are currently 21-23 will emerge around 25 as important players.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
You were also steadfast in your hatred for Marner and that he shouldn't be on the team, so I don't know if you're one to judge here.
LOL. Very true.

Dach and Lafreniere are not busts yet; sometimes, it takes a little more time. I think many players who are currently 21-23 will emerge around 25 as important players.
Hope so.

I like this team, tempting not to put McDavid and Bédard together right away though
I hope Badard becomes the kind of player so many expect. What a 1 - 2 punch for Canada.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I would disagree with defenseman, Canada has the top 2 defensemen from the last two cup winners and doesn’t have anyone atrocious in their own zone à la Quinn Hughes or Seth Jones that they need to shelter

I wouldn't have Jones on my U.S. team at this point. That ship has sailed. I think your evaluation of Quinn Hughes is wrong though. He's a tremendous player who would be even better on the international stage with a complimentary partner like Slavin.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
I wouldn't have Jones on my U.S. team at this point. That ship has sailed. I think your evaluation of Quinn Hughes is wrong though. He's a tremendous player who would be even better on the international stage with a complimentary partner like Slavin.
Oh I wouldn’t have him on my team either I hate the way he plays, but the fact he was one of the first 3 players named to the Olympic team shows how management views him, and guérin is still there, which is… concerning.

As for Hughes yes obviously a one of the best puck distributing defenseman but ever since Tanev left for Calgary he has become atrocious in his own zone, weak in puck battles, cheats up ice when the weak side defenseman on breakouts, and defends from the boards to middle as supposed to what should be the reverse

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Busts is a harsh word but they and others from those ages are not trending to be superstars.

Granted with the sheer numbers, it’s likely some unexpected late bloomers will emerge to produce some good (real or hypothetical) best on best forward talent.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Canada could have the better defense. It’s definitely close, but USA doesn’t need to pick players like Hughes and Jones. We have the depth to role 6 very good defensemen without them.

Slavin-Fox
Werenski-McAvoy
Hanifin-Pesce
Carlson

And honestly, how much better defensively is someone like Hamilton than Hughes? They both struggle defensively compared to the best defensemen in the league and it’s why they aren’t amongst the best defensemen in the league.
Sure Hughes won't be mistaken for Slavin out there any time soon but he also isn't Al Iafrate 2.0 either.

He happens to be much better defensively than I thought he would turn out to be but he has limitations sure.

The thing is that Hughes is much better overall than you are making him out to be here.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Fair enough but along with Byfield who might end up having some sort of career between the 3 of them I fully expect zero best on best appearances for Canada.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
He wouldn't be on it right now but he soon will be...................Owen Power. maybe as soon as next year if there was a tournament.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sure Hughes won't be mistaken for Slavin out there any time soon but he also isn't Al Iafrate 2.0 either.

He happens to be much better defensively than I thought he would turn out to be but he has limitations sure.

The thing is that Hughes is much better overall than you are making him out to be here.

Didn’t say he wouldn’t make the team. I said we can put together a roster without him, so the idea that the USA needs to rely on Hughes is bogus. I’d probably have him in the place of Carlsson for now. Could also move him up to the Hanifin spot too.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It is dead in here, WT. We need you to start one of your patented slightly ambiguous anti-Canadian threads to liven things up. A couple thread ideas...

1) U.S. Hockey Has Left Canada In Their Dust.
Who's Next To Pass Canada By?

2) In 2023, Could Canada Beat South Korea's B Team?

3) Does USA Hockey Pity Hockey Canada?

4) Canadians : Have You Ever Met One You Actually Like?

5) Canadians : What Kind Of Animal Manure Do You Think They Smell Like? (poll)

Work your magic, my friend. ;) Get this place rockin !
I’ve never said or implied any of those things, so not sure what I’ve done to offend you.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Fair enough but along with Byfield who might end up having some sort of career between the 3 of them I fully expect zero best on best appearances for Canada.

I had Byfield pencilled as a bust "likely" before his draft. I think Lafreniere will make it, the LW is very bare. Far from prime yet. Dach is 50-50, he needs to come out of his shell this year.

Last edited:

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Busts is a harsh word but they and others from those ages are not trending to be superstars.

Granted with the sheer numbers, it’s likely some unexpected late bloomers will emerge to produce some good (real or hypothetical) best on best forward talent.

Not trending yet at least. I think this could change on a dime, as the talent reset happens in the next few years. Lots of talent from the 2003 to 2007 draft period is fading, and there is a soft draft period from 2008 to 2012. This means the 2019-2020s will emerge a bit by default if not next year, the year after as they enter their prime and the soft period guys decline gain momentum.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I had Byfield pencilled as a bust "likely" before his draft. I think Lafreniere will make it, the LW is very bare. Far from prime yet. Dach is 50-50, he needs to come out of his shell this year.
More of a Ranger article than a LAF article but it is an interesting perspective...

Where does Alexis Lafreniere fit in the Rangers lineup?​

Reactions: SOLR

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
These two would be no where near a Canada lineup.

Reactions: EpiPen

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
These two would be no where near a Canada lineup.

I think this is an extreme view at this point. You are telling me that if Lafreniere suddenly gets to a 70-point+ pace (and this could happen simply by getting PP time) he won't be one of Canada's top 4 LW? Dach has a bigger uphill challenge because of his position, but I could see a 25 years old Dach being a big asset because of his size if his play keeps improving.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think this is an extreme view at this point. You are telling me that if Lafreniere suddenly gets to a 70-point+ pace (and this could happen simply by getting PP time) he won't be one of Canada's top 4 LW? Dach has a bigger uphill challenge because of his position, but I could see a 25 years old Dach being a big asset because of his size if his play keeps improving.
The thread title is for “this year”. Which was last season, considering the title date of January 2023. Lafreniere and Dach, as of now, would be nowhere near a Canada team.

Reactions: jj cale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad