Who Would Make Canada's Roster If There Was Olympics This Year?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I’m including Bedard and Byfield in my team without hesitation. Bedard would easily be on a 100+ point pace if he had a remotely competent powerplay to work with, and Byfield is already right around P/GP with still-limited minutes and LA’s best overall player.

McTavish-McDavid-Bedard
Byfield-Crosby-MacKinnon
Stamkos-Point-Marner
Scheifele-Thomas-Stone

Reinhart may take the edge over Marchand, Hagel, Hyman, Suzuki, Konecny, Barzal, etc. as my extra forward as of today. Dach, Laf, Perfetti, Johnston, Jarvis are guys I’m watching who could really break out and make themselves indispensable.

Toews-Makar
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Morrissey-Doughty

Defense almost writes itself out as of now. Rielly, Sanheim, Chychrun, Chabot, Dunn, etc. could all fill in admirably. Got my eye on Byram, Power, Dobson, Drysdale as primary candidates to break out and claim a spot.

Goalies are looking better than I expected this year relative to the pack. The pool of hitting-their-prime guys in Hill, Thompson, Ingram, Jarry, and Hart should be able to provide two guys who can lock it down behind that terrific D-corps.

Byfield is going to be a force! On that line he just may lead any tournament in scoring.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Byfield is going to be a force! On that line he just may lead any tournament in scoring.
Byfield and McTavish are already among the elite of the NHL. Absolute monsters on the forecheck and around the net, scoring P/GP this season with second line minutes and not starting on their teams’ respective PP1s. They would create so much havoc for the lethal duos of McDavid-Bedard and Crosby-MacKinnon, while our bottom-6 looks as good as anything any other team can ice at the top of their lineup. Hope is to be had.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Byfield and McTavish are already among the elite of the NHL. Absolute monsters on the forecheck and around the net, scoring P/GP this season with second line minutes and not starting on their teams’ respective PP1s. They would create so much havoc for the lethal duos of McDavid-Bedard and Crosby-MacKinnon, while our bottom-6 looks as good as anything any other team can ice at the top of their lineup. Hope is to be had.

Never doubted it for a minute. Too many worrywarts among our compatriots. I find it comedic at times.

Reactions: Dominance

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Never doubted it for a minute. Too many worrywarts among our compatriots. I find it comedic at times.
To be fair, Canada as a whole has had an absurdly dry run since 2015. The number of disappointments, careers ruined due to injuries, and just general lack of prospects ascending to superstardom has been ridiculous. The only reason the Americans are close to us at all is that outside of Makar we haven’t had anyone explode ala Robertson last season, despite representing like 40% of first round picks and top-10 picks over that time period. The luck has to change.

Reactions: therealdeal

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
To be fair, Canada as a whole has had an absurdly dry run since 2015. The number of disappointments, careers ruined due to injuries, and just general lack of prospects ascending to superstardom has been ridiculous. The only reason the Americans are close to us at all is that outside of Makar we haven’t had anyone explode ala Robertson last season, despite representing like 40% of first round picks and top-10 picks over that time period. The luck has to change.
The 2019 + drafts are just starting to materialize, D. Give them time.

But, I agree, it's insane how many busts we've had - while the U.S. seems to find diamonds in the rough. You are right, things have to change just based on the law of averages.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
@Dominance

Who are your top 20 biggest disappointments - since 2019.
I’m going to go back to 2016. Mind you, this is just off the top of my head.

Patrick
Lafreniere
Glass
Wright
Veleno
Dubois
Hayton
Dach
Jost
Steel
Merkley
Smith
Drysdale
Lapierre
Savoie
Rasmussen
Vilardi
Holloway
Sillinger
Bean
Dellandrea
Newhook
Krebs
Poulin
Frost

Before this season I would have had guys like Byfield on this list.

Lots of those guys can still be great or already are pretty good, but they just haven’t become superstars yet and aren’t really where they ideally would be given my early hopes, whether due to injuries slowing them down or otherwise. Not that I would ever expect all to do so, but it just blows my mind that nobody has. It’s not that any one of those is a massive disappointment - it’s the picture as a whole.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

Patrick
Lafreniere
Glass
Wright
Veleno
Dubois
Hayton
Dach
Jost
Steel
Merkley
Smith
Drysdale
Lapierre
Savoie
Rasmussen
Vilardi
Holloway
Sillinger
Bean
Dellandrea
Newhook
Krebs
Poulin
Frost

Lots of those guys can still be great or already are pretty good, but they just haven’t become superstars yet and aren’t really where they ideally would be given my early hopes, whether due to injuries slowing them down or otherwise. Not that I would ever expect all to do so, but it just blows my mind that nobody has. It’s not that any one of those is a massive disappointment - it’s the picture as a whole.
It's too early on most of those player, my friend. Give it time.

Reactions: Plastic Joseph

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
I would I just think TC brass would take him because "well we gotta have our power forward! At least one!".
Mark Stone already fills that role and is much better than Benn. No need to make the team older, slower, and taking undisciplined penalties to put the Americans on the PP. Think this is an accurate representation of what the roster will look like for the 2025 tournament:

15 forwards:
Byfield-McDavid-Marner
Bedard-Crosby-MacKinnon
Marchand-Point-Cozens
McTavish-Thomas-Stone
Schiefele-Barzal-Konecny

8 Defecnemen:
Toews-Makar
Theodore-Piet
Pelech-Morrisey
Power-Dobson

Last edited:

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
I’m including Bedard and Byfield in my team without hesitation. Bedard would easily be on a 100+ point pace if he had a remotely competent powerplay to work with, and Byfield is already right around P/GP with still-limited minutes and LA’s best overall player.

McTavish-McDavid-Bedard
Byfield-Crosby-MacKinnon
Stamkos-Point-Marner
Scheifele-Thomas-Stone

Reinhart may take the edge over Marchand, Hagel, Hyman, Suzuki, Konecny, Barzal, etc. as my extra forward as of today. Dach, Laf, Perfetti, Johnston, Jarvis are guys I’m watching who could really break out and make themselves indispensable.

Toews-Makar
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Morrissey-Doughty

Defense almost writes itself out as of now. Rielly, Sanheim, Chychrun, Chabot, Dunn, etc. could all fill in admirably. Got my eye on Byram, Power, Dobson, Drysdale as primary candidates to break out and claim a spot.

Goalies are looking better than I expected this year relative to the pack. The pool of hitting-their-prime guys in Hill, Thompson, Ingram, Jarry, and Hart should be able to provide two guys who can lock it down behind that terrific D-corps.
Nice roster! I do think Dylan Cozens is another player to watch for. Hasn’t had the greatest start to the season, but we saw how much potential he had last season.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Sam Reinhart has turned into a heck of a player - he has been mentioned (by me) before but he's often overlooked. 2 more points tonight and having a terrific year - 15 goals in 21 games.

We could always use more goal scorers.

He's a big man. Terrific on the PP.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Many years ago, I thought Ryan Johansen was going to develop into a "special" player. He did not. A solid NHL'er, yes, but never became elite.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Seth Jarvis is another young gun to be on the lookout for. Has had a great start to the season

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
I think Brayden Point is gonna be Canada’s X-factor. He’ll be in the prime of his career, speedy, skilled, can finish around the net, and is a match-up nightmare. Been watching him play recently and he embodies what a big-time player is.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Sam Reinhart has turned into a heck of a player - he has been mentioned (by me) before but he's often overlooked. 2 more points tonight and having a terrific year - 15 goals in 21 games.

We could always use more goal scorers.

He's a big man. Terrific on the PP.
I feel like Canada produces a ton of very effective utility players these days, he’s such a great example.

Not the best skater, not flashy, certainly not big or strong, be he finds 10 ways to win you games. Always been a big fan.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
I feel like Canada produces a ton of very effective utility players these days, he’s such a great example.

Not the best skater, not flashy, certainly not big or strong, be he finds 10 ways to win you games. Always been a big fan.
Oh for sure. Even though we talk about how Canada has dropped off from having offensive jaggernaunts in their bottom 6 and has gotten older, almost everyone selected on these mock rosters can be trusted on both sides of the ice. Most can kill penalties, strip pucks, block shots and can take face-offs. That’s an advantage that even the USA that doesn’t have. Canada still produces the most well-rounded players.

Guys like Thomas, Reinhart, Konency, Stone, Marchand, Cozens are all capable of playing a shutdown role. Even our top guys like Crosby, Marner and Point can be trusted defensively.

I know the goaltending has dropped off and other countries have matched Canada’s D-core, but as an ENTIRE unit, Canada is still the best defensive team in the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: therealdeal

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
@Dominance

Newhook with his 6th goal. He has as many goals as his teammate and the player chosen before him (Caufield), but he's a heck of a lot better defensively. These Canadian kids are getting better. Give em time.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

Patrick
Lafreniere
Glass
Wright
Veleno
Dubois
Hayton
Dach
Jost
Steel
Merkley
Smith
Drysdale
Lapierre
Savoie
Rasmussen
Vilardi
Holloway
Sillinger
Bean
Dellandrea
Newhook
Krebs
Poulin
Frost

Because I'm bored, I'm gonna pick your list apart...

Patrick : definite bust. 2016 - 2018 garbage Canadian Draft Class. MAJOR disappointment.

Glass : 2016 - 2018 garbage Canadian Draft Class.

LAF : He's getting better, much better (just ask Ranger fans) and he's 0.7 PPG with next to NO PP time and averaging 16 minutes a game. Will he be the player we hoped?... give him time.
My guess : He surprises us to the UP side.

Wright : He played GREAT in the AHL but now he's buried on the bench in Seattle. Way too early to call.

Veleno : for a 30th overall, playing <15 minutes a night, he's been what you'd expect him to be.

Dubois : He's a heck of a player. Would you expect more for a 3OA?

Hayton : Yes, he's disappointed. 2016 - 2018 garbage Canadian Draft Class.

Dach : He's made of glass - yes, disappointing... but still early.

Jost : Disappointment. 2016 - 2018 garbage Canadian Draft Class.

Steel : For a 30AO, meh, I could go either way. He's fine.

Merkley : Part of the crappy 2016 - 2018 garbage Canadian draft class. Not in the NHL. Enough said.

Smith : ???

Drysdale : Bad call, my friend. He could be a stud if he stays healthy.

Lapierre : On a crappy Washington team, I'm surprised he has not been playing more but he's got 4 points in 9 NHL games averaging 9 minutes a game. Give him time.

Savoie : You can't mean Carter. If you mean Matthew, I don't know what to say. He's 19 and progressing nicely.

Rasmussen : Disappointment. 2016 - 2018 garbage Canadian Draft Class.

Vilardi : Progressing nicely until he got injured.

Holloway : He's on a team loaded with offensive talent so he's not getting minutes. Give him time but, yes, he could be a big disappointment.

Sillinger : BAD call, D.

Bean : Part of the 2016 - 2018 garbage Canadian Draft Class.

Dellandrea : Part of the 2016 - 2018 garbage Canadian Draft Class.

Newhook : He has as many goals as Cole Caufield, who posters (NOT me) praise, but he's way better defensively than CC. Bad call.

Krebs : Disappointment.

Poulin : Disappointment.

Frost : For a 27OA, he's been quite good.

As you can see, many of your disappointments come from the 2016 - 2018 garbage (in RED) and, I agree, those 3 years were AWFUL and those players are killing us when we try and make up a Best On Best team - there's very little there.

The rest...

Most are too early (Blue). Some are just wrong (Green). Some are busts (Black) - I thought Krebs would be MUCH better than he is.

But, I get your point, we have NOT been lucky. We've been running cold. On the plus side, things change and perhaps we will get lucky for a half dozen years while the U.S. runs cold?

Last edited:

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
Because I'm bored, I'm gonna pick your list apart...

Patrick - definite bust. 2016 - 2018 garbage Canadian Draft Class.

Glass - 2016 - 2018 garbage Canadian Draft Class.

LAF - He's getting better, much better (just ask Ranger fans) and he's 0.6 PPG with next to NO PP time. Will he be the player we hoped, NOT likely, but give him time.

Wright - He played GREAT in the AHL but now he's buried on the bench in Seattle. Way too early to call.

Veleno - for a 30th overall, playing <15 minutes a night, he's been what you'd expect him to be.

Dubois - He's a heck of a player. Would you expect more for a 3OA?... maybe.

Hayton - Yes, he's disappointed. 2016 - 2018 garbage Canadian Draft Class.

Dach - He's made of glass - yes, disappointing.

Jost - Disappointment. 2016 - 2018 garbage Canadian Draft Class.

Steel - For a 30AO, meh, I could go either way. He's fine.

Merkley - Part of the crappy 2016 - 2018 garbage Canadian draft class. Not in the NHL. Enough said.

Smith - ???

Drysdale - Bad call, my friend. He could be a stud if he stays healthy.

Lapierre - On a crappy Washington team, I'm surprised he has not been playing more but he's got 4 points in 9 NHL games averaging 9 minutes a game. Give him time.

Savoie - You can't mean Carter. If you mean Matthew, I don't know what to say. He's 19 and progressing nicely.

Rasmussen - Disappointment. 2016 - 2018 garbage Canadian Draft Class.

Vilardi - Progressing nicely until he got injured.

Holloway - He's on a team loaded with offensive talent so he's not getting minutes. Give him time but, yes, he could be a big disappointment.

Sillinger - BAD call, D.

Bean - Part of the 2016 - 2018 garbage Canadian Draft Class.

Dellandrea - Part of the 2016 - 2018 garbage Canadian Draft Class.

Newhook - He has as many goals as Cole Caufield, who posters (NOT me) praise, but he's way better defensively. Bad call, D.

Krebs - Disappointment.

Poulin - Disappointment.

Frost - For a 27OA, he's been quite good.

As you can see, many of your disappointments come from the 2016 - 2018 garbage and, I agree, those 3 years were AWFUL and those players are killing us when we try and make up a Best On Best list - there's nothing there.

The rest...

Some are busts but most are too early. Some are just wrong.
Not all doom and gloom. 2016-2018 produced Makar, Thomas, Dobson Chychrun, Suzuki. 2013-2015 was stacked for Canada. Mcdavid, Marner, MacKinnon, Point, Ekblad, Chabot, Montour, Theodore, Reinhart, Morrisey, Horvat.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Not all doom and gloom. 2016-2018 produced Makar, Thomas, Dobson Chychrun, Suzuki.
Yeah but that's NOT much for 3 drafts. The Americans made a killing on those drafts.

Not all doom and gloom. 2016-2018 produced Makar, Thomas, Dobson Chychrun, Suzuki. 2013-2015 was stacked for Canada. Mcdavid, Marner, MacKinnon, Point, Ekblad, Chabot, Montour, Theodore, Reinhart, Morrisey, Horvat.
I agree : Not all doom and gloom.

The only reason we feel lousy is we're trying to put together Best On Best and, when we look thru the 2016 - 2018 Drafts, we see nothing but Canadian busts. Things change and, after those 3 drafts, we have no where to go but UP. :)

In a couple years, the 2020 draft could be amazing for Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad