Who would Detroit take at 4?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who should the Wings draft 4th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I swear like two weeks ago not a single person would have remotely considered Askarov under any circumstance. The trade back conversation was only to acquire capital and take the skater that was left on the board, be it Rossi, Holtz, Perfetti, Sanderson, whoever.

I don't appreciate what Bench has done to this forum, and I would like him punished to the full extent of the virtual law.

I’ve come to the conclusion that @Bench just wants to break my spirit at this point.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think the only reason we would be dealing down is Askarov or Sanderson. But you would need a team chasing Drysdale.

It is always easy to say trade down, but somebody has to want to come up. Basically exactly what happened to the Lions, you need two to tango.

Lundell???

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
This year is very interesting though because there are multiple teams with a plethora of picks. Anaheim has an early first, late first and early 2nd. Ottawa has a metric crap ton of picks. Maybe they end up 5th and 6th and we tango with them. NJ has 3 early 1sts. Montreal has early 1st and 3 2nd rounders. Would you go from 4th to 8th for 39 and 40? Maybe we pitch in 63 to even it out. Just pointing it that it is a strange year, and Im pretty sure that I read somewhere that trades might be popping this year because of the lack of playoffs, memorial cup, u18s, and scouting combine. So you never know!

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You'll understand how necessary this was for you when the next great Russian in Detroit is racking up shutouts instead of goals.

Give me the guy who has had his number and can do this with the puck:

Last edited:
Reactions: lilidk

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
This year is very interesting though because there are multiple teams with a plethora of picks. Anaheim has an early first, late first and early 2nd. Ottawa has a metric crap ton of picks. Maybe they end up 5th and 6th and we tango with them. NJ has 3 early 1sts. Montreal has early 1st and 3 2nd rounders. Would you go from 4th to 8th for 39 and 40? Maybe we pitch in 63 to even it out. Just pointing it that it is a strange year, and Im pretty sure that I read somewhere that trades might be popping this year because of the lack of playoffs, memorial cup, u18s, and scouting combine. So you never know!

I'd try to pull two 1sts from Jersey. They seem like a team close enough to make that sort of deal to jump way up, and they'd then have *only* two first rounders in stead of three.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I think the only reason we would be dealing down is Askarov or Sanderson. But you would need a team chasing Drysdale.

It is always easy to say trade down, but somebody has to want to come up. Basically exactly what happened to the Lions, you need two to tango.

Exactly. After that top 2 or 3, I'm not sure there are going to be teams willing to pay a fortune to go up.
The same reasons we trade down are the reasons other teams won't trade up.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I'd try to pull two 1sts from Jersey. They seem like a team close enough to make that sort of deal to jump way up, and they'd then have *only* two first rounders in stead of three.

Mantha for Montreal's first and something else is the deal that makes sense to me.

Whenever I do the draft app and I trade down from 1 to 2, I can get a pick around 20th or so. And to be honest, it feels like there's a huge fall after 8/9.
I'm never that much more satisfied with my midround first than I'm with my 32nd overall pick.

So, if we can get a second top 10 pick, I'm in.
But I'm not that keen on sacrificing anything to drop down to 15-30.

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Mantha for Montreal's first and something else is the deal that makes sense to me.

Whenever I do the draft app and I trade down from 1 to 2, I can get a pick around 20th or so. And to be honest, it feels like there's a huge fall after 8/9.
I'm never that much more satisfied with my midround first than I'm with my 32nd overall pick.

So, if we can get a second top 10 pick, I'm in.
But I'm not that keen on sacrificing anything to drop down to 15-30.

Yeah, I have no interest in dropping that far, either. The one time I've dealt a pick in the draftsim thing I originally had us picking 4th, and they let me flip a deal with NJ to get 8th, ~15th (don't remember exactly) and a 3rd. I ended up with Lundell and Askarov, which I'd take from this draft if we're not in the top3.

I think this draft has the potential to end up looking really odd down the road. Missing those last few months of judging guys, I wonder if we're going to see some teams go conservative and draft guys they feel more sure about, while maybe letting some guys who seem to have a bunch of talent but some other question marks fall. I think Rossi is a guy like that. Perfetti. It might work in Lundell's favor, as he seems to be liked by most but loved by few.

I know I'll probably get hit for not keeping up with the times, but I have a hard time looking forward to picking either a small guy or another wing.

Reactions: MBH

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Exactly. After that top 2 or 3, I'm not sure there are going to be teams willing to pay a fortune to go up.
The same reasons we trade down are the reasons other teams won't trade up.

Same scenario happened last year. Couldn't find a deal.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
This is a rude post. Where are the mods when you need them?

U-h6jYdT2iUL8qN_Jvd6WE2FfNzrP7weS0RWJxHV6wdBlC2l5ZUmMxQSZxUVtRxm0QkqFNIlTuaLKbbtGaK6Usd-qQzhTXMkFeNY0DszxqyspHeNQrksOhCuoeAUmzRZZRMlIxupj2wxWrPi8weGteKHkzrgZsy7Em8

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This is a rude post. Where are the mods when you need them?

I am a big believer in Raymond, if you didn't know by now. It really is too bad he got buried in the SHL all year. The talent and tools are there in spades. He capped that -1 season in such an emphatic way and then never got a chance to build off of it.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I am a big believer in Raymond, if you didn't know by now. It really is too bad he got buried in the SHL all year. The talent and tools are there in spades. He capped that -1 season in such an emphatic way and then never got a chance to build off of it.

I mean I won't be that disappointed if Raymond is the pick. He's a talented Swede and that's easy to like for a Wings fan. I'd come around soon enough.

I maintain Askarov has all the markings of an elite talent in net but also totally get why if you think a guy like Raymond can be elite, then that's the winning pick. My issue with Raymond is exactly what you've said, we got so little exposure to work with lately. So I'm going with what I feel is more a sure thing. Which, being a goalie, I know is crazy. I wouldn't have said this any other year and probably won't until we're all much older and wiser.

I take goalies after elite skaters. But I still take elite goalies over very good skaters.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I mean I won't be that disappointed if Raymond is the pick. He's a talented Swede and that's easy to like for a Wings fan. I'd come around soon enough.

I maintain Askarov has all the markings of an elite talent in net but also totally get why if you think a guy like Raymond can be elite, then that's the winning pick. My issue with Raymond is exactly what you've said, we got so little exposure to work with lately. So I'm going with what I feel is more a sure thing. Which, being a goalie, I know is crazy. I wouldn't have said this any other year and probably won't until we're all much older and wiser.

I take goalies after elite skaters. But I still take elite goalies over very good skaters.

I think if Raymond played against people his age all year, he would firmly be in that #3 spot. At worse, the #4 spot. I know his situation was far from ideal, but he is the same guy I watched dance around Russia's defenders and beat that goalie 3x that dominated a historically good US team. And he's such a good passer. And he can play both wings. And he's right handed. And he is very much a kid still with lots of room to get better.

If we were drafting in the 7-9 range, I could really get on board with your Askarov push. I mean I was super high on Spencer Knight, and regularly talked him up on here and the prospect board. I think the hardest thing for me is we have been a bad team 4 years in a row, and we have not managed a single top 5 pick yet. So I really put extra emphasis on how we use these. If the lottery wasn't so freaking crap, or we had managed to pull off a robbery and get a guy like Pettersson, a goalie in the top 4 would be a lot more palatable to me. But none of those things are us.

Last edited:

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I think if Raymond played against people his age all year, he would firmly be in that #3 spot. At worse, the #4 spot. I know his situation was far from ideal, but he is the same guy I watched dance around Russia's defenders and beat that goalie 3x that dominated a historically good US team. And he's such a good passer. And he can play both wings. And he's right handed. And he is very much a kid still with lots of room to get better.

If we were drafting in the 7-9 range, I could really get on board with your Askarov push. I mean I was super high on Spencer Knight, and regularly talked him up on here and the prospect board. I think the hardest thing for me is we have been a bad team 4 years in a row, and we have not managed a single top 5 pick yet. So I really put extra emphasis on how we use these. If the lottery wasn't so freaking crap, or we had managed to pull off a robbery and get a guy like Pettersson, a goalie in the top 4 would be a lot more palatable to me. But none of those things are us.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Raymond is near the top of our board. If they don’t view stutzle as a center (which I’ll never understand the argument there) I could see Raymond at 2 or 3 for us.

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
I made a proposal on Montreal's board recently

Our 4th
For Montreal's 8th, 39 and 61
They were fine with value and one poster said he would throw in the 40th pick as well.

Just stating I believe this year could be the year to trade down if we get the 4th pick

After the big 3, 4-8 could go any which way between
Drysdale, Rossi, perfetti, Raymond, Holtz

Trading back to 8 we would get whoever drops and add 2-3 more picks.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I guess I should be glad you're taking the heat...:laugh:

I would gladly take Askarov as well.

Hopefully we just get #1 or #2 and this is moot. It's hard to find anything to hate about Laf or Byfield's potential. But you've got to think what happens with Raymond will entirely depend on how Hakan feels about him. If Hakan says he's the next Zetterberg or something, case closed. If not, I think we end up with a goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad