Who would Detroit take at 4?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who should the Wings draft 4th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Deciding what to do with Mantha has a lot to do with where we expect this team to be in three years, imo. If we think Yzerman is going to somehow turn this club into a cup contender in three years, you hang onto Mantha. If not, you deal him. Even if he ages well, and is productive as a 30/31/32 year old, he's not going to be the same Mantha we see today. He is going to slow down. That's just the reality of life. Shanny was 28/29 when the Wings were winning their first cups with him, the guy was a physical force. He left a mark on the game. When the Wings won the Cup in 02, he just wasn't the same guy. still productive, still that big shot, but he just wasn't the same player.

Mantha could be a helluva player, especially if he stays healthy. But if we are talking about returning to contention in 5+ years, the guy just isn't going to be the sort of player we will really need. Now, whoever we get for him might not be worth much, either. might bust entirely. But we're going to want a guy who is just flat out younger than Mantha at that point, hitting their peak at the right moment, to be one of the real horses this team can tie itself to.

I get this argument, but most cup winning teams have big players past their best who's experience and skillset leads them to make a big impact in big moments. Hell, when Shanny was past his best and was less of a physical force he was still a 30g 70p and playoff beast. Mantha's not as rough and tumble so could as well or better. In fact sticking with the wings, every cup team had guys past their best but still making vital contributions at key points.

There's this misconception that you need all your core to be in their early to mid 20s when chasing cups. That perception has been built around prime age superstars being team leaders...crosby/malkin, Toews/Kane, Carter/Doughty etc. But that's equally not true of other cup winners, and even in those teams, all leaned heavily on contributions from guys in their early 30s.

its one thing saying trade the guy who will be 35+ by the team is relevant again, quite another to advocate trading a guy who will be 30/31/32. Sure the NHL is a young men's league, but 1/2 the top 30 scorers are late 20s /early 30s.

If Mantha at 32 is your best player from where the wings are now, things have gone badly wrong, but if things go well, he could be a top 2 second line RW in the league...which makes us a contender.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Given how far Yzerman "reached" for a dman in Seider, i wouldnt be surprised to see him go for Rossi (who has an argument for #4OA to be sure) and Lundell because we need a center so badly

Reactions: lilidk

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Anders Lee, maybe the best comp, had his best numbers when John Tavares was on the Island and Doug Weight played him with Josh Bailey. Bailey had some crazy high percentage of his assists happening on Lee's goals. Trotz separated the two ignoring the chemistry (perhaps to try to counteract the loss of firepower from past years with Tavares going to Toronto a couple years ago) that they had. Or trying to balance out the lines. Remember in Detroit when the Eurotwins played together and their line was unstoppable but Babcock kept splitting them up to try to have two great lines instead of one? But no, let's ignore all that... it's just because Lee is a big guy that he slowed down and because all big guys are the same Mantha will slow down too.

Anders Lee
15 - 41
16 - 36
17 - 52
18 - 62
19 - 51
20 - 43 in 68 which is 52 pace over 82 games

Seems like Lee is a 50 point a year player and the 40/62 point season is just a 'good' season compared to his normal. He also had a 19.2 shooting percentage that season, good luck keeping that up. His PP production was down quite a bit during the 20 season.

I did laugh when he signed the 7x7 deal though.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I was a Montreal fan when Roy was a rookie. So I get a kick out of people seeing Askarov and saying he'll be the next Roy.
Montreal fans didn't think anything of Roy until he suddenly turned into superman in the 85 playoffs.
I mean, maybe Askarov will be great.
But it's funny to say he's the next Roy when nobody had a clue Roy was going to be Roy at the same age.

I'm not a fan of "the next" statements either. I like comparable but saying someone is "the next" is so cliche lol. Also comparing someone to a top player all time is cringe worthy.

In fairness Roy was about 6-10 years before the internet became a household utility. I don't think many people knew about players until they started in the NHL. The wealth of this forum would be reduced to a few 1 or two paragraph notes in a sports article on page 15. Or those few dedicated people that sought out printed scouting materials.

Reactions: MBH

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
Honestly if we get #4, I vote to trade down a couple spots and go for whoever is left out of Rossi, Perfetti, Holtz, or Raymond while picking up another early to mid 30's pick

Not sure who the consensus #4 pick is, I'm guessing Drysdale ? Maybe Rossi ?

to montreal #4
to detroit #8, #39, #61

at #8 we pick whoever dropped to us out of Drysdale, Rossi, Perfetti, Raymond or Holtz

that would give us 60,61,63 and 65 which we could easily package and move back up in the draft and get someone that we covet in the 2nd round ?

Just throwing out alternative options If by chance we do end up with the 4th pick, I wouldn't be opposed to adding more to the prospect pool because looking at recent mocks picks 4-8 could go any which way.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Honestly if we get #4, I vote to trade down a couple spots and go for whoever is left out of Rossi, Perfetti, Holtz, or Raymond while picking up another early to mid 30's pick

to montreal #4
to detroit #8, #39, #61

at #8 we pick whoever dropped to us out of Drysdale, Rossi, Perfetti, Raymond or Holtz

that would give us 60,61,63 and 65 which we could easily package and move back up in the draft and get someone that we covet in the 2nd round ?

Just throwing out alternative options If by chance we do end up with the 4th pick, I wouldn't be opposed to adding more to the prospect pool because looking at recent mocks picks 4-8 could go any which way.
Unless Montreal is crazy about someone, the will not do it, not much difference between 4 and 8. Even Holtz isbetter than Zadina

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019

to montreal #4
to detroit #8, #39, #61

I like a trade down scenario that lands us at 8 and gives us enough ammo to trade up for askarov.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I really hope we don't have to find the answer out to this question... top 3 pick would be huge IMO.

I know why you're scared.

Famous insider Ricelund has reported Yzerman's been interested in acquiring Step Bros Scouting for full-time scouting services.

4053d115fe693b8a21eba76cfbd10ce6.jpg

Free Agency Dog is also in negotiations if that helps calm you, though. He keeps up grounded.

giphy.gif

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Whatever school you went to... failed you.

Blush = BeTtER ThAN ROy!!!1!!!!!! ""dats, wha U sayd, bro...derp.derp.""

/facepalm.

Its okay, i understood what you meant. I think Roy would blush over Askarov complementing his firm buttocks as well.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I picked Rossi. He reminds me of Zetterberg back when he was a prospect and actually had speed and zip to his game. But beyond that, I just can't accept putting off taking a center yet again. This team needed another top 6 center 3-5 years ago and they just don't hit the market. If they do, you're in a heated bidding war where all you can do is cross your fingers that the selling team covets your assets most. The time to acquire a center without risk involved has passed.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Famous insider Ricelund has reported Yzerman's been interested in acquiring Step Bros Scouting for full-time scouting services.

Free Agency Dog is also in negotiations if that helps calm you, though. He keeps up grounded.

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Raymond, if he's the choice, ok.

But yeah, the warts and fit for this team at this draft is tricky.

Hopefully the Wings hit.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think Drysdale could be the pick. Not the sexy, high scoring forward but I think theres a really good chance he gives the wings the best chance of winning a cup out of all the players left. They wouldnt have to worry about dmen much at all going forward with three very high end young guys.

That being said I could just as easily see it being Raymond, Rossi or even Perfetti and I wouldnt be all that surprised. The difference from top 3 and top 4 going into this draft seems pretty important, just from a position of need stand point.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

giphy.gif

No I have talked Dog into Askarov, check is in the mail.

giphy.gif

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Prognostication time.

My guesses based on our four draft pick options

1 - Alexis Lafreniere
2 - Quinton Byfield
3 - Tim Stutzle
4 - Lucas Raymond

So, I see us taking Raymond.

I was wrong with my mental "Detroit Red Wings select X" choice last year. I went with Dylan Cozens. I see "Detroit Red Wings select Lucas Raymond" for 2020

E: Also, sorry Bench... I don't see Yaroslav Askarov coming to Detroit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad