Who would Detroit take at 4?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who should the Wings draft 4th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
Outside of Lafreniere, I hope we get Byfield or Raymond. They're not as flashy as the others in the top 10 but I think those two have the biggest upside.

I like Stutzle and would be happy to get him as well but two things I think Byfield and Raymond have on him are shooting and IQ. Stutzle's skating and hands are tops in the draft though.

The only silver lining to expecting 4th is that we'll have a shot at 1 of these players.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I don’t feel as passionately about picking #4 as I do about picking 1-3. It feels like a drop off, too dissimilarly to how I felt about picking #6 last year. If we pick 4, I’m fine with picking Raymond, Holtz, Askarov, Rossi, Drysdale, etc. I voted Perfetti, because I’m most intrigued by his hockey IQ and his upside, but I think at 4, it’s going to take some luck to get the type of player we need most. (Ie: a Star)

Would rather get Lafreniere and call it a season, but I’m convinced that’s not going to happen, so.

Reactions: saska sault

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Hopefully we just get #1 or #2 and this is moot. It's hard to find anything to hate about Laf or Byfield's potential. But you've got to think what happens with Raymond will entirely depend on how Hakan feels about him. If Hakan says he's the next Zetterberg or something, case closed. If not, I think we end up with a goalie.

I am very high on Raymond, I think he has a phenomenal ceiling.

I think what I like most about him is he is incredibly smart. He is always hunting the puck, always solving offensive and defensive situations. To me his biggest skill is that he is a problem solver at pace, I think that only gets better as he ages, but it is rare to see in a player his age. I don't think you should be upset at all if Raymond winds up being our guy. That is a swing for the fences pick as well, frankly if we wound up with #3 I can still see that being the pick there. He came up through Frolunda, we should have a very good feel on him.

He is a relentless puck hound on defense, I think Yzerman will really like his compete level. It isn't a run you into the boards style, but this is the kind of player he liked a lot in Tampa.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I am very high on Raymond, I think he has a phenomenal ceiling.

I think what I like most about him is he is incredibly smart. He is always hunting the puck, always solving offensive and defensive situations. To me his biggest skill is that he is a problem solver at pace, I think that only gets better as he ages, but it is rare to see in a player his age. I don't think you should be upset at all if Raymond winds up being our guy. That is a swing for the fences pick as well, frankly if we wound up with #3 I can still see that being the pick there. He came up through Frolunda, we should have a very good feel on him.

He is a relentless puck hound on defense, I think Yzerman will really like his compete level. It isn't a run you into the boards style, but this is the kind of player he liked a lot in Tampa.

I agree. He may feel like a distant consolation prize, but he is quality and will be without question the best prospect we have had in the system in a very long time.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I’ve been a Rossi fan and that’s who I voted for here. I’m being won over by the Raymond group now. The good news is I’m sure Hakan will have a few things to say at the draft table in favour of Lucas

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
I mean, there is no doubt that the Wings are going to get a player who will day one be the best prospect that they have drafted in close to 20 years. Now whether that prospect hits his potential and becomes a star is another matter. But regardless, we should be excited for whoever we end up with (unless they go completely off the board and make me cry.) The top 10 this year is stacked.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I made a proposal on Montreal's board recently

Our 4th
For Montreal's 8th, 39 and 61
They were fine with value and one poster said he would throw in the 40th pick as well.

Just stating I believe this year could be the year to trade down if we get the 4th pick

After the big 3, 4-8 could go any which way between
Drysdale, Rossi, perfetti, Raymond, Holtz

Trading back to 8 we would get whoever drops and add 2-3 more picks.

So say it goes
1. Laf
2. Byfield
3. Stutz
4. Drysdale
5. Raymond
6. Sanderson
7. Rossi/Askarov
-----
Are you ok passing up 4-7 and being forced to take what's ever left? Rossi? Sanderson? Askarov? Holtz?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Oh I would take Lundell as well, I have him at #7 on my board. Right after Askarov. I can see him being in that conversation. I like him more than Rossi by a significant amount.

Why?
What kind of player do you see Lundell being?
vs
Rossi?

Draft year stats:
Lundell 6'1 185
44 games 10-18-28 +18

Kotkaniemi not sure what he was, but he's 6'2 194 now
57 games 10-19-29 -1

The big difference is Kotkaniemi had far better tournament stats.

Reactions: Christien

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why?
vs
Rossi?

Draft year stats:
Lundell 6'1 185
44 games 10-18-28 +18

57 games 10-19-29 -1

Well, Finland thought Lundell was worthy of making their WJC squad as a 17 year old, where he put up 4 pts in 7 games. Which we can't say the same for Kotkaniemi. I guess Kotkaniemi had better counting stats at the U18 and Hlinka? But I firmly believe if not for injury, we would have seen Lundell put up at least 1 PPG and carry that Finland team at the WJC over this last winter break.

Lundell is a very smart/complete hockey player. I like his floor, and I think his ceiling is understated.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Changed my vote to Raymond from Rossi after reading the hype

kXjoGyl.gif

Reactions: Ulysses31

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Outside of Lafreniere, I hope we get Byfield or Raymond. They're not as flashy as the others in the top 10 but I think those two have the biggest upside.

I like Stutzle and would be happy to get him as well but two things I think Byfield and Raymond have on him are shooting and IQ. Stutzle's skating and hands are tops in the draft though.

The only silver lining to expecting 4th is that we'll have a shot at 1 of these players.
My love for Byfield comes from the fact that this year age wise was only a few months older than Lafrienerre’s last year. If he was eligible for the 21 draft and put up the same #s I think he’d be more hyped than Laffy was last year

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
So say it goes
1. Laf
2. Byfield
3. Stutz
4. Drysdale
5. Raymond
6. Sanderson
7. Rossi/Askarov
-----
Are you ok passing up 4-7 and being forced to take what's ever left? Rossi? Sanderson? Askarov? Holtz?
I would be thrilled to take Rossi at 8, wouldn't he be considered the 3rd best center in the draft behind Byfield and Stutzle ?

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Voted Raymond. We desperately need more playmaking on this team and he epitomizes that for me. He does appear to be less physically ready that others, though. Wouldn't be mad about Drysdale, either.

Reactions: Ulysses31

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Why?
vs
Rossi?

Draft year stats:
Lundell 6'1 185
44 games 10-18-28 +18

57 games 10-19-29 -1

I think Lundell will be a very good second line center. A little more offensively gifted Mikael Backlund maybe.

I think Rossi is a second third line tweener and likely a winger at the NHL level.

In any event, Lundell is a powerful two-way player, he has good vision and awareness in all three zones. I think he has a sneaky hard shot, he needs to start using it more. But he plays a NHL north south game and is just really rock solid in pretty much every aspect. Looks to have the profile of a guy that can fill out more and get probably a little quicker as he gets stronger.

I mean I have Rossi behind Zary, I really don't believe his game is going to translate the same way other people do. I kind of see Sam Gagner as a best case scenario for him.

Reactions: Winger98

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Rossi might not be a top center, but Gagner...can't see it.

I think he is a guy that stays similar to the player he was in junior and it isn't all that flattering to his game at the next level for those envisioning a point per game two-way center. In fact their pre-draft campaigns are almost carbon copies of each other. Really by the way Gagner was a fractionally better skater with more size. But he played on a ridiculously dominate junior team, was already 5'11" and 190 lbs. Really Gagner had the August Birthday so in a lot of ways he is a more flattering comparison than I really need to make as I honestly felt there was more in Gagner game at the time though he too fell short of anything close to first line. Also for the record Gagner has played 800+ NHL games so he is nothing to sneeze at, that is a heck of a career for Rossi. Gagner just lived more in the 40 to 50 point range for most of his career. In part because his physical limitations really were a problem at the next level. The battles he would win in junior, he couldn't consistently win in the NHL.

A lot of times when I watch Rossi, he is living by the boards and on the cycle or wandering wide, it is really hard to imagine him doing that at the next level with the same consistent success. There is a reason we are excited about a guy like Seider, he is actually a far superior skater, so imagine poor Rossi when that space can be closed while protecting lanes. We will see, I actually think he might be better off on the wing if you really want him, I just don't think he gets to the middle of the ice enough in smart ways and that is really scary to write about a center. We will see, if they do pick him I hope he can fix a lot of the way he plays the game in the o-zone despite those gaudy numbers and I hope he doesn't get KO'd a bunch on his blind cuts to the middle of the ice in terms of his sometimes serpentine entries. Once in the zone he has a tendency to drift to places that aren't great, especially for a guy that I think can and will get knocked off the puck by better athletes. We will see, people think he is ready, I think he is ready like Gagner in that he will enter the league as he is, if he cannot make some adjustments he will likely stay a very similar player with some notable problems in terms of dominate NHL guys that know how to use those issues against him.

If we do pick him, I am going to hope we can develop him into a top flight winger, I think that best suits his talents to be honest. I have deep concerns but that is probably what I see most of in his game in terms of what we have to work with from a talent standpoint. Work on his shot and skating a little and hope to team him with some of our more physically dominate guys to create space for him. Good news there is we do have some hulking guys on the squad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think he is a guy that stays similar to the player he was in junior and it isn't all that flattering to his game at the next level for those envisioning a point per game two-way center. In fact their pre-draft campaigns are almost carbon copies of each other. Really by the way Gagner was a fractionally better skater with more size. But he played on a ridiculously dominate junior team, was already 5'11" and 190 lbs. Really Gagner had the August Birthday so in a lot of ways he is a more flattering comparison than I really need to make as I honestly felt there was more in Gagner game at the time though he too fell short of anything close to first line. Also for the record Gagner has played 800+ NHL games so he is nothing to sneeze at, that is a heck of a career for Rossi. Gagner just lived more in the 40 to 50 point range for most of his career. In part because his physical limitations really were a problem at the next level. The battles he would win in junior, he couldn't consistently win in the NHL.

A lot of times when I watch Rossi, he is living by the boards and on the cycle or wandering wide, it is really hard to imagine him doing that at the next level with the same consistent success. There a reason we are excited about a guy like Seider, he is actually a far superior skater, so imagine poor Rossi when that space can be closed while protecting lanes. We will see, I actually think he might be better off on the wing if you really want him, I just don't think he gets to the middle of the ice enough in smart ways and that is really scary to write about a center. We will see, if they do pick him I hope he can fix a lot of the way he plays the game in the o-zone despite those gaudy numbers and I hope he doesn't get KO'd a bunch on his blind cuts to the middle of the ice in terms of his sometimes serpentine entries. Once in the zone he has a tendency to drift to places that aren't great, especially for a guy that I think can and will get knocked off the puck by better athletes. We will see, people think he is ready, I think he is ready like Gagner in that he will enter the league as he is, if he cannot make some adjustments he will likely stay a very similar player with some notable problems in terms of dominate NHL guys that know how to use those issues against him.

If we do pick him, I am going to hope we can develop him into a top flight winger, I think that best suits his talents to be honest. I have deep concerns but that is probably what I see most of in his game in terms of what we have to work with from a talent standpoint. Work on his shot and skating a little and hope to team him with some of our more physically dominate guys to create space for him. Good news there is we do have some hulking guys on the squad.

I like Rossi as a player. He definitely does things well that I value. But I also have a hard time with projecting him up a level.

I mean what NHL guy are we hoping he is? He doesn’t really play like Brayden Point. He doesn’t really play like Claude Giroux. Are we hoping for... like a Brad Marchand?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I like Rossi as a player. He definitely does things well that I value. But I also have a hard time with projecting him up a level.

I mean what NHL guy are we hoping he is? He doesn’t really play like Brayden Point. He doesn’t really play like Claude Giroux. Are we hoping for... like a Brad Marchand?

I have heard that name thrown out for him before, Marchand did take a little while to round into that. I really do think he has benefited a great deal from summers with Crosby and MacKinnon as well. Marchand is more elusive at times in my opinion, but perhaps Rossi can find that balance. I think Marchand had better skating tools as a prospect and developed them well. Both guys have strong lower bodies, I think Marchand does a good job getting off the boards and timing everything really well, it is impressive and it is going to be hard to replicate.

Reactions: Frk It

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
If we could get a Marchand, but with less licking, I'd be ecstatic.

You guys have managed to sell me on just about every single person projected in the top 15 -- we could pick any one of them at 4 and I'd be fine with it.

Reactions: lilidk

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
If we could get a Marchand, but with less licking, I'd be ecstatic.

You guys have managed to sell me on just about every single person projected in the top 15 -- we could pick any one of them at 4 and I'd be fine with it.
Trade down is the best choice. Let's us get #1 so we can get more picks, I doubt Yzerman will do it though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad