Who would Detroit take at 4?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who should the Wings draft 4th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That's actually an interesting question. How fast does an NHL skater do 40m from a standing start (about 2/3 of an NHL rink)? I have no idea.

I would think faster but maybe I am wrong. Certainly the shorter distance would help, but you would think a Larkin type gets from his goal line to the other team's blue line extremely fast.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I would think faster but maybe I am wrong. Certainly the shorter distance would help, but you would think a Larkin type gets from his goal line to the other team's blue line extremely fast.

If I ever get super bored I'll look at some old all-star game speed trials and try to math out how fast they are doing the 40m. I'll bet the fastest NFL players are actually pretty close... Maybe?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If I ever get super bored I'll look at some old all-star game speed trials and try to math out how fast they are doing the 40m. I'll bet the fastest NFL players are actually pretty close... Maybe?

I might bet on Tyreek Hill on foot vs anybody.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I might bet on Tyreek Hill on foot vs anybody.

That dude is barely human. You've got basically Olympic level track speed blazing out there on a football field.

Pair him with the best QB in the NFL, and surprise, they win the championship.

Let's do Larkin vs. Hill, 1v1!

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
That dude is barely human. You've got basically Olympic level track speed blazing out there on a football field.

Larkin needs to play dirty and use the knives on his feet.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Maybe to right about that point, though I have to think the upper echelon skaters are faster and even here I was more thinking 4.4 than Hill. I think your average skater is going to be faster than your average runner. On Hill I would be happy to see someone go Happy Gilmore on him because that dude is a terrible human being.

Keep in mind when we watch fastest skater we make them corner. Remember that straight line footage from opening night where McDavid got to 30 mph in three steps on sportsnet...

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Keep in mind when we watch fastest skater we make them corner. Remember that straight line footage from opening night where McDavid got to 30 mph in three steps on sportsnet...

That's a good baseline. Hill's top recorded speed was about 23 mph.

I always think it's wild these guys run fast enough to be picked up for speeding in a school zone.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
This team over the past 5 years has scored a combined 149 fewer goals than the league average, and allowed a combined 120 more goals against than the league average. Over that span, we have scored a combined 410 fewer goals than the league leading team each year, and allowed a combined 329 more goals than the league leading team.

The problems are everywhere, but the main problem is that the players who are supposed to produce offense are relatively bad at offense, and the players who are supposed to provide defense are relatively bad at defense. What I mean is that our forwards have been bad at putting the puck in the net, and our defensemen have been bad at keeping the puck out of the net. Please don't tell me that your strategy at this point is to skip on the offensive talent at forward, to address defense by selecting a more defensive forward. Players who bring no offense like Helm, Nielsen, Glendening, Ehn, Erne, DLR weren't enough for you? Why not just draft a defenseman if you want to improve the defense?
I don't think a five year block will paint an accurate picture, just thinking of how the team has changed. So, I would look at where they were over the last season instead. The last time I looked into the question, which I think was last season, the Wings were further behind the league average in defense than in offense. However,I don't think Raymond's rookie SHL numbers are easy to compare against those of guys with two OHL seasons. What I assume is that if the three mentioned forwards are pretty close offensively, Raymmond's defensive play gives him the edge.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I don't think a five year block will paint an accurate picture, just thinking of how the team has changed. So, I would look at where they were over the last season instead. The last time I looked into the question, which I think was last season, the Wings were further behind the league average in defense than in offense. However,I don't think Raymond's rookie SHL numbers are easy to compare against those of guys with two OHL seasons. What I assume is that if the three mentioned forwards are pretty close offensively, Raymmond's defensive play gives him the edge.

They trailed league average goals for by a larger margin than they did league average goals against. The defensive shortcomings are hardly from the forwards though; it’s all because of below average defensemen.

Again, if you want to go forward, you almost HAVE to pick a player you can project to be your best offensive player. If you want to address the defense, then actually address defense. Don’t get caught in between.

Reactions: njx9 and jkutswings

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I think if the draft were held tomorrow it wouldn’t be too soon. I’ve wavered from Raymond who’s a perimeter player to Rossi who’s too small and too slow to Perfetti who I have read in a number of places isn’t as good a skater as Rossi. If they are too small then what does that make Drysdale who at some point is going to have to outmuscle players like Rasmussen. There hasn’t been a whole lot of hype lately for Drysdale here despite all the votes he’s getting. I don’t want Sanderson or AskarI’ve at four. Wow. I may be back to Drysdale and hope he grows an inch or two. I’m easily swayed

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
I definitely feel the sentiment that the Wings have needs at every position.

But this is my own personal and general priority list:

1. Top-six center
2. Top-six center
3. Top-six center
4. Top-four defenseman (Keep in mind, I don't feel as hopeful as some about our defensemen prospects beyond Seider.)
5. Top-six winger
6. Goalie

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I definitely feel the sentiment that the Wings have needs at every position.

But this is my own personal and general priority list:

1. Top-six center
2. Top-six center
3. Top-six center
4. Top-four defenseman (Keep in mind, I don't feel as hopeful as some about our defensemen prospects beyond Seider.)
5. Top-six winger
6. Goalie

1. Top-six Center = sign Haula and try Fabbri in the middle
2. Top-six Center = draft Perfetti, sign Haula and try Fabbri in the middle
3. Top-six Center = plan for Veleno at Center, draft Perfetti, sign Haula and try Fabbri in the middle
4. Top-four defenceman = sign Torey Krug
5. Top-six Winger = two of Perfetti/Veleno/Haula/Fabbri does not work at center and you push those guys on wing. (Larkin is still the 3rd Top-six center...)
6. Goalie = sign Robin Lehner.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
At this point, this is starting to feel like the Larkin draft all over again. Perfetti with all kinds of local eyes on him, is an obvious selection.

Larkin was critiqued for being a "safe" pick, but maybe that's kind of the point. They knew exactly the kind of kid Larkin was. And that seems to be true for Perfetti as well.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
We win no matter what. Perfetti jumps into the top 3, we draft whoever fell out. No change, we just take Perfetti.

If we want to do some 400 IQ PSYOPs to shift the draft order, I think the Wings need to start leaking how much they love Drysdale. Drysdale this, Drysdale that. Boy, that kid is going to be amazing. Geez, what better than an elite defender to help Ottawa. That Drysdale man!

Then we scoop up that German like a discount TV on Black Friday.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
If we want to do some 400 IQ PSYOPs to shift the draft order, I think the Wings need to start leaking how much they love Drysdale. Drysdale this, Drysdale that. Boy, that kid is going to be amazing. Geez, what better than an elite defender to help Ottawa. That Drysdale man!

Then we scoop up that German like a discount TV on Black Friday.
Yeah, I've always been in favor of a tight lip org., w/Misdirection via bad intel. Muahahahaha. Let the PsyOp games begin. It is the only logical choice.

Reactions: Bench

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Why Perfetti over Rossi? I do agree with some of you saying we should draft whoever is the best offensively. I know Perfetti is a bit more on his own in Saginaw than Rossi is on the '67s. However, I would think Rossi's game would translate better to the NHL, since he's a a better skater. Why Perfetti?

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
1. Top-six Center = sign Haula and try Fabbri in the middle
2. Top-six Center = draft Perfetti, sign Haula and try Fabbri in the middle
3. Top-six Center = plan for Veleno at Center, draft Perfetti, sign Haula and try Fabbri in the middle
4. Top-four defenceman = sign Torey Krug
5. Top-six Winger = two of Perfetti/Veleno/Haula/Fabbri does not work at center and you push those guys on wing. (Larkin is still the 3rd Top-six center...)
6. Goalie = sign Robin Lehner.

Meh... I don't know, hehe.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
this is the tweet lol

I think he’s the guy!

I said with this break, the kid that has the most to gain is Perfetti. Hes probably been in the gym constantly and its paying off.

Why Perfetti over Rossi? I do agree with some of you saying we should draft whoever is the best offensively. I know Perfetti is a bit more on his own in Saginaw than Rossi is on the '67s. However, I would think Rossi's game would translate better to the NHL, since he's a a better skater. Why Perfetti?

This has been discussed like crazy on here if you go back a few pages. It basically boils down too Perfetti being the higher upside player. Hes extremely physically immature compared to the other top prospects. Rossi is one of the most physically mature and he is one of the oldest in the draft.

Rossis game is a ? to translate well. At his size, setting up down low and holding off defenders is going to be very difficult. Also, Rossi isnt some amazing skater. Perfetti is fairly close with him skating wise where I dont think it should play a huge factor in who to draft. While theyre close there, Perfetti seems to have more room to grow there vs Rossi who has eaten and trained like a pro for years with a very physically mature body.

Rossi is definitely a safer pickbut thats not what Detroit needs. The people who didnt like the Rasmussen pick shouldnt be baning the drum for Rossi

Reactions: DetroitRed
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad