Who would Detroit take at 4?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who should the Wings draft 4th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Just read somewhere that apparently Perfetti, and Draper are pretty close.

Might that sway Yzerman's opinion if Byfield/Stutzle aren't available at #4?

EDIT - forgot to mention that Osgood/Dvellano own the Saginaw Spirit...I'm sure they might have an opinion as well.

b3iDL1u.png

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Just read somewhere that apparently Perfetti, and Draper are pretty close.

Might that sway Yzerman's opinion if Byfield/Stutzle aren't available at #4?

EDIT - forgot to mention that Osgood/Dvellano own the Saginaw Spirit...I'm sure they might have an opinion as well.
I would imagine that the wings are intimately knowledgeable with the kid. Draper is the new Director of Amateur Scouting so yes, I would think that if he is pounding the table hard for the kid then that is the direction they will go. Honestly, I think it is going to come down to Raymond or Perfetti and Ill be happy with either.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I would imagine that the wings are intimately knowledgeable with the kid. Draper is the new Director of Amateur Scouting so yes, I would think that if he is pounding the table hard for the kid then that is the direction they will go. Honestly, I think it is going to come down to Raymond or Perfetti and Ill be happy with either.

Due to my overall ignorance on these kids my reaction should probably be taken with a grain of salt...

That said - looking at the 'Current Player Comparable' - I was surprised with Raymond's, but damn near barfed in my mouth when I looked at Perfetti's bio.

Raymond, Lucas | 2016 NHL Draft Prospects

Perfetti, Cole | 2016 NHL Draft Prospects

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Due to my overall ignorance on these kids my reaction should probably be taken with a grain of salt...

That said - looking at the 'Current Player Comparable' - I was surprised with Raymond's, but damn near barfed in my mouth when I looked at Perfetti's bio.

Raymond, Lucas | 2016 NHL Draft Prospects

Perfetti, Cole | 2016 NHL Draft Prospects

What a trash profile for Perfetti. You can't say he has excellent hockey IQ and then compare him to Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. That's like saying Bob Probert was the toughest guy in the NHL. I'd compare his game to Daniel Sedin.

Reactions: FMichael

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I think Nuge has excellent hockey IQ :dunno:

With the skillset he has, (Speed, excellent stickhandling, shot) Nuge would be a top 20 scorer if he had excellent hockey IQ. Instead, he's put himself in bad spots with the puck continually which is why he spent a good chunk of his early career on the sidelines with injuries.

#1 overall pick as a center that plays better as a 2nd line winger. Very talented, very hard working, but I'd bet that Perfetti has a higher hockey IQ now than Nuge does.

eulatron

Jun 24, 2019
Another tally for Raymond. Wouldn't be overly fussed if we snagged Perfetti, though. I'm probably in the minority that thinks if we draft a defenseman it should be Sanderson and not Drysdale, preferably trading back a few spots if possible which is pretty far fetched in itself.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
BTW does Yzerman really strike anyone as the type of guy that is going to be swayed by who owns perfettis team or that he played locally? lol This is just lazy reporting like when two russians are compared because they both happened to be russian.

I think he absolutely could be swayed when his director of amateur scouting is apparently close with the kid. Having close ties and knowing what the kid is like not just in interviews is huge when youre investing that high of a pick. If any team thinks he has room to pack a lot of muscle on and become a great NHL player, itll be the wings with the inside track especially with no combine.

These guys are too competitive to take a worse player just because they know him though. Draper almost fought Gary Roberts in an alumni game, hes not making him his first draft pick heading up the draft just because he knows him. Itllbe because he thinks hes the BPA

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Imo, it's stupid analogy that we would be interested in Perfetti or Raymond, thanks to our connections. I've read this too much already on general board. "Red Wings are gonna pick PErfetti because of Devellano blaa blaa blaa..." Everybody has those connections. We could have just better connections, to make the safest bet possible. Knowing everything about the guy.

But that knowledge is not a factor that we WILL pick him. It could also be opposite. It just gives the sure information, that we should, or we should avoid him. Maybe there is a factor behind the scenes, when player should be avoided.

Nobody on this board knows are those factors and inside knowledge about a player positive or negative. If positive, we COULD pick the player. But if negative, then we maybe look for someone else. This draft offers so much equal options.

It's just great that we have that information about these players on our pick (#4) range, especially when accidentally the options are Perfetti and Raymond, we know maybe most. Quite sure we know less about Byfield and Stutzle, than those guys. I think we can't miss anyhow this pick.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Imo, it's stupid analogy that we would be interested in Perfetti or Raymond, thanks to our connections. I've read this too much already on general board. "Red Wings are gonna pick PErfetti because of Devellano blaa blaa blaa..." Everybody has those connections. We could have just better connections, to make the safest bet possible. Knowing everything about the guy.

But that knowledge is not a factor that we WILL pick him. It could also be opposite. It just gives the sure information, that we should, or we should avoid him. Maybe there is a factor behind the scenes, when player should be avoided.

Nobody on this board knows are those factors and inside knowledge about a player positive or negative. If positive, we COULD pick the player. But if negative, then we maybe look for someone else. This draft offers so much equal options.

It's just great that we have that information about these players on our pick (#4) range, especially when accidentally the options are Perfetti and Raymond, we know maybe most. Quite sure we know less about Byfield and Stutzle, than those guys. I think we can't miss anyhow this pick.

I have no problem with people making the connections, but it depends on how things are phrased.

I think the Wings ARE the best bet (and I mean if I had to put money somewhere) to take Perfetti because of their connections through the Spirit and through Draper. IF they make the pick, it's probably the most confident I will ever be in a pick that they love a prospect because they will know where all the caution flags are, and they still think he's worth it.

If people are phrasing it as if the team is going to do Perfetti a favor...well then that person should find their way onto the ignore list.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marky9er

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
The connection to Perfetti has just as much chance being a negative as it does a positive. They very well could have over analyzed him and picked him apart too much due to the familiarity.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
The connection to Perfetti has just as much chance being a negative as it does a positive. They very well could have over analyzed him and picked him apart too much due to the familiarity.
You try to say that most likely they will pick some one else?

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

I think this is correct. I see the Saginaw connection more as a conviction indicator, not an indicator of the likelihood that the Wings take him. If the Wings take him, they will do so with arguably more information supporting their decision than any other organization. To me that is conviction, more than probability.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
When people mention strength of schedule vs production with regards to Rossi/Perfetti, this is what they mean. Rossi beat the hell out of the bottom teams. Perfetti and Rossi each played 22 games against teams that were sub 0.500. In those 22 games:

Rossi had 63 pts or 2.86 PPG or a pace of 195 pts in a 68 game season.
Perfetti had 43 pts or 1.95 PPG or a pace of 133 pts in a 68 game season.

Conversely, Rossi only played 12 games against teams 0.600 or better (usually contenders). Perfetti played 24 games. In those games:

Rossi had 14 pts or 1.17 PPG or a pace of 79 pts in a 68 game season. (HUGE drop)
Perfetti had 41 pts or 1.71 PPG or a pace of 116 pts in a 68 game season.

Also for the season Perfetti had better numbers for zone entries (7.61 per game to 6.55) and zone exits (4.9 to 4.23). And those exits were done via the pass at a higher rate than Rossi (48.10% to 37.50%), which for two guys with average skating, would be important. (Credit to dobber prospects here: https://dobberprospects.com/draft-class-deep-dive-cole-perfetti/)

Perfetti has adapted so that despite having average skating and defense, he can still get the puck out effectively, consistently enter the zone, and produce offensively no matter the opponent. Rossi’s more defensively sound but offensively his production was heavily reliant on the large talent gap that exists between top and bottom junior teams. This kind of gap is much less pronounced in the NHL. I think both will be NHLers but Rossi is a decent two way winger that tops out around 45/50 points and Perfetti is an offensive catalyst at wing good for 75/80 pts.

One of those two things is going to be more helpful in rebuilding that the other IMO.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I think he absolutely could be swayed when his director of amateur scouting is apparently close with the kid. Having close ties and knowing what the kid is like not just in interviews is huge when youre investing that high of a pick. If any team thinks he has room to pack a lot of muscle on and become a great NHL player, itll be the wings with the inside track especially with no combine.

These guys are too competitive to take a worse player just because they know him though. Draper almost fought Gary Roberts in an alumni game, hes not making him his first draft pick heading up the draft just because he knows him. Itllbe because he thinks hes the BPA
It's like you're disagreeing with me the first paragraph and then changing your mind and agreeing with me in the second.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Rossi will look great in NJ. Him and Hughes on the same line will be something .

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Who should the Wings draft 4thN%
Raymond9126.5%
Holtz51.5%
Rossi6117.7%
Perfetti5415.7%
Askarov4011.6%
Sanderson82.3%
Drysdale8324.1%
Lundell20.6%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Just a time snapshot of current numbers to look back on after the draft. Man that is quite a plurality for Raymond, who's rather in my "Ok, sure" draft board tier and not necessarily in my "I'd be happy with these guys" tier (Perfetti, Drysdale).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad