Who would Detroit take at 4?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who should the Wings draft 4th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
His skating today, on the whole, is below average by NHL standards. Now he obviously has room to improve, but he is currently below average by NHL standards (FWIW 95% of draft eligible players are below average skaters by NHL standards).

My concern with Rossi (especially in terms of explosiveness and quickness) is that even if he improves his skating to an average NHL level (or a slightly above average NHL level), will it be good enough given his size. Being small is not a death sentence in today's NHL game. Being small and not being a plus (almost elite) skater, however, is a bad combination no matter how smart you are as a player.

I like Rossi, but his biggest supporters do tend to overrate his skating in my judgment.
There is nothing wrong with Rossi skating.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Now for me it's between Rossi and Perfetti. We shouldn't draft defenseman or winger at #4 and I believe SY not going to do it. We are set At d-prospects so no to Drysdale, especially Sanderson.

We're not set anywhere. That is not a real problem that this organization faces.

Take the player that is going to have the best career. Who that is, I don't know. But there's not one single player in this draft that I would hesitate to pick based on what this organization currently already has in place.

Last edited:

Michael Brand Eggs

Knee Guard
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
You are setting yourself up to be disappointed.
I'm just going to be the messenger here, but I was listening to Brock Otten on some podcast and he said that he thinks Rossi's skating improved a lot over the season, and is now above average. There's still the whole "above average is below average when you're 5'9" thing, but still, it's not bad.

Lemme see if I can find that podcast.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Now for me it's between Rossi and Perfetti. We shouldn't draft defenseman or winger at #4 and I believe SY not going to do it. We are set At d-prospects so no to Drysdale, especially Sanderson.
How are we set on the left side? There's:
- Cholo
- McIsaac
- Johansson
- Tuomisto

I know it's early, esp for Tuomisto, but none of them look like a top pair D, and I'm not sure Cholo will even be a full time NHLer. Counting chicks before they hatch, I remember when everyone thought Jensen, Ouellet, Sproul were going to be the defense of our future.

I'm not big on Sanderson only because I think there will be better options next year for LHD.

I think Fabbri has a better shot at being an NHL center than Rossi. Size is still a factor in the playoffs where games get more physical, the Caps absolutely demolished LVGK in the finals couple of years ago, and LV got there by outworking every team in the west.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I'm just going to be the messenger here, but I was listening to Brock Otten on some podcast and he said that he thinks Rossi's skating improved a lot over the season, and is now above average. There's still the whole "above average is below average when you're 5'9" thing, but still, it's not bad.

Lemme see if I can find that podcast.

I know exactly what you are talking about. And I very much agree his skating is much better than it was a year ago. I won't argue against that comment at all. Again, I think people are lulling themselves into thinking that his skating isn't an issue because it isn't super ugly or super flawed from a technical perspective. You could say his stride is a bit short and his hips appear a bit tight, but it doesn't look god awful or anything that bad. The problem I continue to struggle with though is how it translates up a level. I think if we draft him and get him out there in the preseason, people will start commenting on his skating much the same way they started commenting on Zadina's skating at and out of camp as a rookie.

I will also note that having a super developed upper body (i.e. lots of mass) can be a hindrance to improving one's skating in terms of speed and explosiveness. It is a very delicate balance.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
- Cholo
- McIsaac
- Johansson
- Tuomisto

I know it's early, esp for Tuomisto, but none of them look like a top pair D, and I'm not sure Cholo will even be a full time NHLer. Counting chicks before they hatch, I remember when everyone thought Jensen, Ouellet, Sproul were going to be the defense of our future.

I'm not big on Sanderson only because I think there will be better options next year for LHD.

I think Fabbri has a better shot at being an NHL center than Rossi. Size is still a factor in the playoffs where games get more physical, the Caps absolutely demolished LVGK in the finals couple of years ago, and LV got there by outworking every team in the west.
Fabbri is 24 and he is 1" taller, Rossi still 18

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Fabbri is 24 and he is 1" taller, Rossi still 18
I know, I meant I really don't see either being a center if they're not going to even give Fabbri a look.

In other words, Rossi has zero chance, at least with the Wings. I'm not a big fan of short centers or defensemen, unless they have crazy skills or speed.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I know, I meant I really don't see either being a center if they're not going to even give Fabbri a look.

In other words, Rossi has zero chance, at least with the Wings. I'm not a big fan of short centers or defensemen, unless they have crazy skills or speed.

Yeah, drafting a small center at #4 is a tough pill for me to swallow.

How I feel about Rossi is exactly how most people feel about Askarov, I'd imagine. #relatable

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
We're not set anywhere. That is not a real problem that this organization faces.

Take the player that is going to have the best career. Who that is, I don't know. But there's not one single player in this draft that I would hesitate to pick based on what this organization currently already has in place.
It's going to be At least 5 years till we know who is the best . I still don't know about 2017 or 2018 draft. And this draft after Lafreniere it's all unknown. I just have my opinion today, who we need to draft, tomorrow I might change my mind

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I feel worse about drafting Rossi. More top 5 goalies have hit than a slow smurf at center in that draft slot...

thumb_the-disrespect-memegenerator-net-the-disrespect-stephen-a-smith-again-53792651.png

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
- Cholo
- McIsaac
- Johansson
- Tuomisto

Tuomisto shoots left.

Yes, we need more org. depth. I'd have my scouts concentrate on Top6F/ Top4 D prospects only type, with a G ~ every other year. UGA G & backups can be had for free in the NHL. So minimal resources to scout Goalies.

I'm okay trading down b/w 5th-8th. Range: Expect a late 1st + decent C/D prospect, but not blue chip +2nd. To: (2) 2nds + C/D prospects To: 2nd + C/D prospects.

So for example, lets say CAR had 8th & wanted to jump to 4th, it'd look like this: (2) 2nds + Morgan Geekie.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

Read a few weeks ago they'll retry Fabbri @ C, they gave him a some shifts here & there iirc. I've suggested & stood behind that from day 1, chances are he's a W, but I don't care, even if he's 40% FO for now til we fill the 2C role.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Tuomisto shoots left.

Yes, we need more org. depth. I'd have my scouts concentrate on Top6F/ Top4 D prospects only type, with a G ~ every other year. UGA G & backups can be had for free in the NHL. So minimal resources to scout Goalies.

I'm okay trading down b/w 5th-8th. Range: Expect a late 1st + decent C/D prospect, but not blue chip +2nd. To: (2) 2nds + C/D prospects To: 2nd + C/D prospects.

So for example, lets say CAR had 8th & wanted to jump to 4th, it'd look like this: (2) 2nds + Morgan Geekie.
Tuomisto was on my list. He's a big question mark, literally. We'll see what happens in Denver, but I don't think he's top pair material. I also like to see big slappers from the point, and so far we only have Hronek.

I doubt anyone trades up to #4, I think every team will just let the chips fall where they may, and take the guy at the top of their list.... at least for the top 10.

As for G, the Caps pick one every year. They can be easily traded if you have too many (Neuvirth, Copley, Varlamov & Grubauer). Considering the lack of G prospects, the Wings should be picking at least one every season for the next 5 years. Later rounds of course because goalies are unpredictable headcases.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
@Gwinder. Fundamental differences then, I feel that Gs are the easiest to fill via UFA/trade.
Late round picks usually don't make the NHL, so might as well throw the pick at a goalie.

Think about it, there only 2 prospects that were selected after round 2 that we still talk about, Ehn and Larsson. Also 2013 was the last draft that the Wings did not draft a goalie....

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Tuomisto was on my list. He's a big question mark, literally. We'll see what happens in Denver, but I don't think he's top pair material. I also like to see big slappers from the point, and so far we only have Hronek.

I doubt anyone trades up to #4, I think every team will just let the chips fall where they may, and take the guy at the top of their list.... at least for the top 10.

As for G, the Caps pick one every year. They can be easily traded if you have too many (Neuvirth, Copley, Varlamov & Grubauer). Considering the lack of G prospects, the Wings should be picking at least one every season for the next 5 years. Later rounds of course because goalies are unpredictable headcases.

Tuomisto likely won't be a top pairing guy but he's got very good offensive instincts and a huge slapper from the point. He could be something between a 3-5 defenseman with a rocket of a shot on the 2nd PP.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
- Cholo
- McIsaac
- Johansson
- Tuomisto

Considering Tuomisto is right handed, he's not really in the discussion. Johansson looks promising, and might be your best chance to find an impact player on the left side, but we've seen the smaller, offensive defensemen flounder all over the NHL. Can't assume anything with him at this point. Cholowski may salvage a career, but bottom pair is the only thing that may be possible. I like McIsaac, and I feel like he's going to be a guy who is steady and unspectacular, but I could see him carving out a career as a #4 guy that doesn't get a lot of love, nor hate. Just fills that role.

We clearly have deficiencies on D, and if that's the route we decide to go, I prefer Sanderson over Drysdale any day of the week. I try to not look at future drafts to guide my decision making, but if you do want to peek out a year, with Hughes, Labos, and Power being on the board, you could argue there is more LH depth. That being said, you look at your list above, you have one potential top pairing LH guy in Johansson, and he requires a lot more going right than others. You have to feel comfortable with Hronek and Seider being ahead of any LH options in our system, but if you stack Sanderson and Power you have a balanced and high end defensive pipeline, all of which should be pro ready within 2 years.

Again, I try not to factor in next year, because we could just as easily end up with a forward like Raty or Lucius or Johnson. There's a lot of development that will happen between now and next year's draft.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
It's going to be At least 5 years till we know who is the best . I still don't know about 2017 or 2018 draft. And this draft after Lafreniere it's all unknown. I just have my opinion today, who we need to draft, tomorrow I might change my mind

That's all totally fine. I change my rankings constantly as I learn more about these prospects too. The further down you get from the #1 spot, the more players you have enter the conversation for a case to be selected. And your point about not knowing how to rank a draft from 3 years ago further illustrates to me that we shouldn't be passing on players of a certain position just because we appear to have a stocked cupboard at that position.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Just read somewhere that apparently Perfetti, and Draper are pretty close.

Might that sway Yzerman's opinion if Byfield/Stutzle aren't available at #4?

EDIT - forgot to mention that Osgood/Dvellano own the Saginaw Spirit...I'm sure they might have an opinion as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad