Who would Detroit take at 4?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who should the Wings draft 4th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
All this talk about Perfetti and Drapes..yikes

I’m still not seeing what everyone else does about this player, at 4OA it’s a mistake
So I'm guessing you havent ever watched him play? Here's a hint, go watch his Hlinka performance to start last season.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
A strong side right wing/weak side left wing would fill a need. So, if Raymond is arguably BPA at fourth pick anyway, then he's an ultra sensible pick. Hopefully they get to see him play more before the draft.

What is the likelihood that Perfetti and Rossi are NHL centers?

Last edited:

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
Why isn’t Marat Khuznutdinov ranked higher? He’s roughly the same size as Rossi, Perfetti, and all the other small centres. People are finding faults with those two but I’ve seen nothing but praise for Marat. It’s mentioned in spite of his size he may still be able to play centre. Probably because of his elite skating. He’s the one guy who can sway me away from Wallinder at 32.

Barry Amsterdam

Fillin Nets Since 18
Apr 2, 2013
A strong side right wing/weak side left wing would fill a need. So, if Raymond is arguably BPA at fourth pick anyway, then he's an ultra sensible pick. Hopefully they get to see him play more before the draft.

What is the likelihood that Perfetti and Rossi are NHL centers?
rossi id say a sure thing. he’s way too good on the dot to not be.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Why isn’t Marat Khuznutdinov ranked higher? He’s roughly the same size as Rossi, Perfetti, and all the other small centres. People are finding faults with those two but I’ve seen nothing but praise for Marat. It’s mentioned in spite of his size he may still be able to play centre. Probably because of his elite skating.

You'll see Khusnutdinov taken earlier than ranks inform in the real draft. And Rossi falling a bit.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
rossi id say a sure thing. he’s way too good on the dot to not be.
I think the Wings should add a two-way forward if they choose to go with a forward here, because they have a couple of forwards already who will have to get lots of ice time, but who don't have strong defensive games. I think Raymond checks the box. However, obviously the need for a center is huge.

The Wings probably have the Rossi-Perfetti debate all sorted considering one played in Saginaw and the other was on the '67s. If they are sure they can turn one of these guys into a center, I still think they have to address the question about the defensive end.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Perfetti is the most Kane-like player in the draft. If he can put on some weight AND get some burst in his stride, he's going to be an exciting 80-90 point guy.

Perfetti is skilled, but definitely in a more subtle way than someone like Kane IMO.

I was listening to Craig Button on a podcast recently, and he was comparing Stutzle to Kane. Said that was due to his creativity with the puck and confidence to try things with a high level of difficulty. Thought that was interesting.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I think the Wings should add a two-way forward if they choose to go with a forward here, because they have a couple of forwards already who will have to get lots of ice time, but who don't have strong defensive games. I think Raymond checks the box. However, obviously the need for a center is huge.

The Wings probably have the Rossi-Perfetti debate all sorted considering one played in Saginaw and the other was on the '67s. If they are sure they can turn one of these guys into a center, I still think they have to address the question about the defensive end.

This team over the past 5 years has scored a combined 149 fewer goals than the league average, and allowed a combined 120 more goals against than the league average. Over that span, we have scored a combined 410 fewer goals than the league leading team each year, and allowed a combined 329 more goals than the league leading team.

The problems are everywhere, but the main problem is that the players who are supposed to produce offense are relatively bad at offense, and the players who are supposed to provide defense are relatively bad at defense. What I mean is that our forwards have been bad at putting the puck in the net, and our defensemen have been bad at keeping the puck out of the net. Please don't tell me that your strategy at this point is to skip on the offensive talent at forward, to address defense by selecting a more defensive forward. Players who bring no offense like Helm, Nielsen, Glendening, Ehn, Erne, DLR weren't enough for you? Why not just draft a defenseman if you want to improve the defense?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why isn’t Marat Khuznutdinov ranked higher? He’s roughly the same size as Rossi, Perfetti, and all the other small centres. People are finding faults with those two but I’ve seen nothing but praise for Marat. It’s mentioned in spite of his size he may still be able to play centre. Probably because of his elite skating. He’s the one guy who can sway me away from Wallinder at 32.

I’ve heard he was more impressive in international tournaments than league play. I’ve cooled on him a decent amount. Great skater, but I’ve heard there are questions about how much offense he will give you, and if he has more than bottom 6 upside.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
There is nothing wrong with Rossi skating.
That wasn't the argument he made though.

Average skating by itself isn't necessarily a problem. Neither is below average size. But combining the two is like stepping to the plate with two strikes on you - either you are so fantastic at what you do that you become the one exception to the rule, or you're going to have a rough time of things.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I’ve heard he was more impressive in international tournaments than league play. I’ve cooled on him a decent amount. Great skater, but I’ve heard there are questions about how much offense he will give you, and if he has more than bottom 6 upside.
I watched couple of games with Marat. His main role is defensive center. Somehow every time he is on ice , game looks better. He plays for stock up team and he doesn't get a lot of minutes, but he looks great every time he is on ice, same thing about Tyutnev.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Perfetti is skilled, but definitely in a more subtle way than someone like Kane IMO.

I was listening to Craig Button on a podcast recently, and he was comparing Stutzle to Kane. Said that was due to his creativity with the puck and confidence to try things with a high level of difficulty. Thought that was interesting.

I'm not in love with the Kane comparison. Aside from being slick stickhandlers they play different games offensively. Stutzle rags the puck like Barzal by skating circles around the whole offensive zone, and has the same flaw of holding onto the puck for too long. Kane cuts to the net more, or he cuts to the slot to draw traffic and passes to someone entering the zone late. Kane's also got a laser of a shot that Stutzle just doesn't have yet.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Lots of pressure but if you're going star player with Perfetti than I think it's Kucherov. He uses his devastating shot and release enough to really imbalance the defense while constantly stressing seems as a passer. Finds ways to get lost in D zone coverage as well.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think this is correct. I see the Saginaw connection more as a conviction indicator, not an indicator of the likelihood that the Wings take him. If the Wings take him, they will do so with arguably more information supporting their decision than any other organization. To me that is conviction, more than probability.
Yeah, either a yes or a no on Perfetti comes from a place that is more informed than the other teams, and either way, that's good in my book.

Reactions: Sadekuuro

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Yeah, I guess I wasn't factoring the top 3.
I don't think Perfetti's skill game is subtle at all. Maybe he's not quite Kane's level, but the biggest difference between the two right now, at the same age, is skating.

Reactions: Frk It

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah, I guess I wasn't factoring the top 3.
I don't think Perfetti's skill game is subtle at all. Maybe he's not quite Kane's level, but the biggest difference between the two right now, at the same age, is skating.

I think Perfetti actually has a better shot at the same age to be honest. Kane developed his more later on. I feel Perfetti already has a heavy shot, with big accuracy and a deceptive release. That of his game is already well above NHL average for me.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
It's like you're disagreeing with me the first paragraph and then changing your mind and agreeing with me in the second.

No I'm essentially saying, theyre not going to take him because of a guy like Draper knowing him and passing on others they think are better. If they take him its going to be because they deem him the BPA and having a guy like Draper with inside knowledge will make that easier to figure out. Perfettis big issue is what he'll be like when hes physically mature. The wings will have the most inside knowledge about how hard hes trained, how well his body has adapted already etc.

Draper knowing him is a big advantage since the combine didnt happen but knowing him isnt the reason the wings will take him if they do

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This is an interesting scouting tactic. I think comparing prospects to football players might not yield the results you're hoping for though.

Phone autocorrect and that one always feels like a betrayal. I mean we know with all the smart technology these days that they are collecting all this why can't my ******* phone accept NHL first....

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Phone autocorrect and that one always feels like a betrayal. I mean we know with all the smart technology these days that they are collecting all this why can't my ******* phone accept NHL first....

I think you meant to say "why can't my ducking phone accept NFL first"

Don't worry, I'm on the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad