Who would Detroit take at 4?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who should the Wings draft 4th?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I said with this break, the kid that has the most to gain is Perfetti. Hes probably been in the gym constantly and its paying off.

This has been discussed like crazy on here if you go back a few pages. It basically boils down too Perfetti being the higher upside player. Hes extremely physically immature compared to the other top prospects. Rossi is one of the most physically mature and he is one of the oldest in the draft.

Rossis game is a ? to translate well. At his size, setting up down low and holding off defenders is going to be very difficult. Also, Rossi isnt some amazing skater. Perfetti is fairly close with him skating wise where I dont think it should play a huge factor in who to draft. While theyre close there, Perfetti seems to have more room to grow there vs Rossi who has eaten and trained like a pro for years with a very physically mature body.

Rossi is definitely a safer pickbut thats not what Detroit needs. The people who didnt like the Rasmussen pick shouldnt be baning the drum for Rossi
Hmmm. I'm not sure if I like taking a little risk here or just grabbing one of the safer bets. It's too bad we really don't have need for a righty defender, because that would make it easy.

It seems like not long ago though, people were speculating that Raymond could be like Pettersson, and so we should take another look at him. I feel like before I commit, I need to see more of him. All of his other tools are apparent, I think it's just a question of how well he compares offensively.

If Raymond stacks up offensively, here's a European style player who will probably stay out of the box, to balance our aggressive NA players. Plus, he's got a 200 foot game, which to me was a characteristic our forwards tended to have back when we were winning cups, and that also balances guys like Mantha on the defensive end. He would also give us an option to go strong side RW/weak side LW, which we seriously lack. I mean, granted we need goals. If he can score comparably to Rossi and Perfetti , I think he's the one for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Hmmm. I'm not sure if I like taking a little risk here or just grabbing one of the safer bets. It's too bad we really don't have need for a righty defender, because that would make it easy.

It seems like not long ago though, people were speculating that Raymond could be like Pettersson, and so we should take another look at him. I feel like before I commit, I need to see more of him. All of his other tools are apparent, I think it's just a question of how well he compares offensively.

If Raymond stacks up offensively, here's a European style player who will probably stay out of the box, to balance our aggressive NA players. Plus, he's got a 200 foot game, which to me was a characteristic our forwards tended to have back when we were winning cups, and that also balances guys like Mantha on the defensive end. He would also give us an option to go strong side RW/weak side LW, which we seriously lack. I mean, granted we need goals. If he can score comparably to Rossi and Perfetti , I think he's the one for me.

One knock on Raymond is that hes a pure winger. Rossi or Perfetti are giving you a potential center. I also dont love that Raymond is more of a perimeter guy at times. He has the high end skill that I wouldnt ind him at 4th but he would be my 3rd choice there after Perfetti and probably Drysdale.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
In two years we could have
BLM
Rasmussen-Veleno,-Zadina
Perfetti- Fabbri-Grewe
Gleny -Ehn-Adams

Last edited:

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
One knock on Raymond is that hes a pure winger. Rossi or Perfetti are giving you a potential center. I also dont love that Raymond is more of a perimeter guy at times. He has the high end skill that I wouldnt ind him at 4th but he would be my 3rd choice there after Perfetti and probably Drysdale.
I like Dryesdale a lot but I am kind of a defense guy. Too many righty defenders, especially of the talent level that would give us together with what we already have, would be a very good problem. But if we can truly pick up a league talent scorer, someone who can compete on a league level, I say that seems bigger right now just given how high I am on Hronek and Seider.

I really think, as far as center possibility, guys of this size are going to have two strikes against them if they aren't also great skaters. No doubt they will play a little center, but I'd be real impressed if they played center regularly. Maybe I'm wrong.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Raymond gets to the middle of the ice plenty in my viewings, I think more importantly he gets the puck to the middle of the ice successfully a ton.

The thing I like most about Raymond is that to me he is always attacking and processing the game. He is a problem solver for the full 200 feet of the game. He is hunting offensively and defensively. I love watching him play for that reason. I think he goes to the slot with the puck and himself a lot, but he doesn't stay stationary he darts in and out kind of deal. I get where people are coming from in terms of some of the perimeter stuff, I think when he is holding it out there it is because the middle of the ice is being defended well and he understands that.

We will see, news that Perfetti has really increased his skating is notable. We also have that Raymond appears to have matured a little physically, if he could get another step that would be big. Those guys have a world of talent, with the draft not happening on time things can change a little here. I really believe Raymond is going to improve his draft stock. I think we get some adjustments and I have a hard time believing the guy that blows the doors off his peers isn't going to figure things out up a level, it just took a minute in my opinion. I expect a big fall if he gets more opportunity.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I like Dryesdale a lot but I am kind of a defense guy. Too many righty defenders, especially of the talent level that would give us together with what we already have, would be a very good problem. But if we can truly pick up a league talent scorer, someone who can compete on a league level, I say that seems bigger right now just given how high I am on Hronek and Seider.

I really think, as far as center possibility, guys of this size are going to have two strikes against them if they aren't also great skaters. No doubt they will play a little center, but I'd be real impressed if they played center regularly. Maybe I'm wrong.

Guys like Point and Tavares were probably worse skaters at draft time than Perfetti and theyre elite now.

Reactions: DetroitRed

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
point wasn’t good i’m juniors and now he’s elite for sure. tavares is still kinda below average

I think Tavares is slowing down a bit now, but he was a very solid skater for a long time. Top speed at least was solid but strong and good edges similar to Perfetti

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think Tavares is slowing down a bit now, but he was a very solid skater for a long time. Top speed at least was solid but strong and good edges similar to Perfetti

It was always kind of his weakness though and I think he will better in the playoffs, it sounds like he has been carrying a lower body injury for most of the year in terms of rumors. But I would argue Tavares with better skating pushes for a borderline generational talent. I think it is what kept him from being more special in terms of he could have been an all-timer with another step and a half in his skating.

I think he worked hard on it and really became a great player, but he never really could get exceptional at it in my opinion. I thought what he built to off-set that was how strong he is on the puck.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It was always kind of his weakness though and I think he will better in the playoffs, it sounds like he has been carrying a lower body injury for most of the year in terms of rumors. But I would argue Tavares with better skating pushes for a borderline generational talent. I think it is what kept him from being more special in terms of he could have been an all-timer with another step and a half in his skating.

I think he worked hard on it and really became a great player, but he never really could get exceptional at it in my opinion. I thought what he built to off-set that was how strong he is on the puck.

Probably will be a similar story with Lafreniere.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Any idea when OHL start? Like to see Grewe with Perfetti on the same line

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Drafting a winger, unless he's Lafreniere, is not in my gameplan at all.

Well it's good that you fell in love with Sanderson, otherwise you'd have a hard time coping with reality that there aren't many options for "not a winger" in the top 10.

Reactions: ArmChairGM89

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Well it's good that you fell in love with Sanderson, otherwise you'd have a hard time coping with reality that there aren't many options for "not a winger" in the top 10.

Ehh, number four is pretty much between Drysdale, (RD) Raymond (W) and Rossi, (C) so we could reasonably pick a non-winger if we wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad